Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2014, 23:08   #1546
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
Well my understanding is GST road from Tambaram to meenambakam is fine except a bottlleneck near tambaram bus stand which you can avoid when coming from mudichur road by entering the GST road after the bus stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I see from Google Maps that the distances are comparable (~35 km). I usually do Sriperumbudur-Kathipara in approximately 60-90 minutes
Tried it over the weekend. The roads via Manimangalam/Mudichur are good. But traffic is by no means less. Here also you get stuck behind trucks. I was there bang on the evening 6PM time on the friday weekend rush.

- You may save the queue at Sriperumbudur toll booth. But I don't know how bad it is. Similarly I don't know how bad it is at DLF, Arcot road, Ramchandra hospital signals at this hour; points where I invariably get stuck.

- The SH was a bit more peaceful. Would have been nice if there were no trucks. I could make it to Velachery in 1 hour from Sriperumbudur 4-lane exit. (GST/200 feet Radial Road/Velachery Main road)

- Generic question : The exit at this point to the Manimangalam road is a bit confusing as there is a wide exit angle for 2 exit roads (Oragadam and Manimangalam). The immediate proximity is the Oragadam road. I thought one may need to drive against traffic on the service road after taking right to the Manimangalam road. (Is that true? ) In that confusion, I went ahead, took a U and came back. Some more time lost there, thanks to a gentle man traffic constable, who denied me a legal U turn asking me take the next. (Reason : He said superior was present!)

- Returned via the usual Porur road which took me an hour to reach the same Sriperumbdur-Manimanagalam Exit on a Sunday afternoon. (That makes me think, if I can make it to Kathipara on a friday evening in an hour). Only you guys can tell. I am not a regular on this stretch.

PS : One needs to have a GPS. Cant survive without that, for first time on this SH!

Last edited by ampere : 16th March 2014 at 23:25.
Old 17th March 2014, 10:48   #1547
BHPian

Ampere,
On my drives to Pammal (near Pallavaram) from Bangalore via the Kudrathur route, I branch out of the NH before the Sriperumbudur toll. I too was confused with this service lane stuff there when there is a cop around. Now, cautiously I move ahead, take a U turn near the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial, come back and then take another U into the service lane and then take a right which goes towards kundrathur. I have seen a road on the right, which says Tambaram, though have never tried it in this stretch. May be this could help.
Old 17th March 2014, 12:35   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Ampere,
On my drives to Pammal (near Pallavaram) from Bangalore via the Kudrathur route, I branch out of the NH before the Sriperumbudur toll.

I too was confused with this service lane stuff there when there is a cop around. Now, cautiously I move ahead, take a U turn near the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial, come back and then take another U into the service lane and then take a right which goes towards kundrathur.
Thats exactly what I did too. In my case however the cop did not allow me take a U at the memorial. I had to go to the next U!

Quote:
I have seen a road on the right, which says Tambaram, though have never tried it in this stretch. May be this could help.
Its the same exit that we are talking about. You branch out to Tambaram from the Kundrathur SH only. Thats the one I took.
Old 17th March 2014, 15:30   #1549
BHPian

Hello lads,
I will be driving to Chennai next Saturday. I know that driving through AP is not recommended. But here is my thought: many will think the same way and choose the Hosur road leaving less traffic on the Chittor road. So, having said this, how bad of an idea you think it is if i still go via Chittor? If anyone has been to AP recently, please share your inputs. Also, since it will be an overnight drive, I need food. Which of the 2 roads has more late night eateries open?

Cheers!
Rohan
Old 17th March 2014, 15:32   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hello lads,
I will be driving to Chennai next Saturday. I know that driving through AP is not recommended. But here is my thought: many will think the same way and choose the Hosur road leaving less traffic on the Chittor road. So, having said this, how bad of an idea you think it is if i still go via Chittor? If anyone has been to AP recently, please share your inputs. Also, since it will be an overnight drive, I need food. Which of the 2 roads has more late night eateries open?

Cheers!
Rohan
From the point of over night drive, eateries and safety (6 lane as opposed to 4 lane / 2 lane on OMR), i would suggest stick to GQ.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 17:20   #1551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be driving to Chennai next Saturday.
I second what Suresh gs has mentioned above.
However if you are thinking of taking Chitoor route for a change and worried just due to the political situation then you can leave those to rest. My colleague traveled to Tirupati last weekend and there is no issues reported.

Regarding traffic on Hosur - Krishnagiri route, it depends on time you are starting from Bangalore. Since you are planning on an overnight travel on Saturday however things will be comparatively better. However avoid starting along with inter-city buses which start from Madiwala (8 PM - 10 PM) .
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 17:29   #1552
BHPian

Went to Yelagiri this weekend with Family in my figo.
To: Yelagiri
Route: Medavakkam-Tambaram-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur-Vellore-Yelagiri

Started around 7:20am. The road conditions from Sriperumbudur to Ranipet has slightly improved when compared to last time when i drove few months back. Most of the pot holes were patched up. Post Ranipet its smooth 6 lane tarmac with diversions once in a while. Had breakfast in Murugan Idly shop. Food was a let down actually except for the sweet pongal. Too pricey as well. Reached Yelagiri around 12 noon.

Next day left Yelagiri around 12:20pm and reached Ambur at 1pm. Had Biriyani in Original Star deluxe Biriyani. I selected that hotel out of many Star biriyani shops as it had car parking space. Biriyani was good.

Last time while coming back from Vellore i was confused and missed the kundrathur/manimangalam road. Went till Rajiv gandhi memorial and took U turn. This time i was careful not to miss. So this time carefully noted the traffic flow during my onward journey itself. Took the right turn in the junction and immediately took left and need to drive a bit against the traffic in the wrong way to join the Kundathur road. Then took right towards Manimangalam/Tambaram. Reached home at 4pm.
pisthpeeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 19:50   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Hello lads,

Cheers!
Rohan
From my colleagues who had traveled to Tirupati and even beyond into Seemandhra last couple of weeks, there is nothing to worry about as of now. But you will have to cross undivided two lane for 100+ kms on this route which can be an irritant with headlights of oncoming vehicles. Not sure about the traffic at this time though as I have never done this route during the night. GQ should be be a breeze IMO.
Old 18th March 2014, 10:45   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
From my colleagues who had traveled to Tirupati and even beyond into Seemandhra last couple of weeks, there is nothing to worry about as of now. But you will have to cross undivided two lane for 100+ kms on this route which can be an irritant with headlights of oncoming vehicles. Not sure about the traffic at this time though as I have never done this route during the night. GQ should be be a breeze IMO.
The traffic will also be pretty high as this happens to be the Bangalore -tirupati main road with lots of private operated Volvo buses, APSRTC and KSRTC buses.
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:48   #1555
BHPian

Drove back this morning from Bangalore on GQ.I used to be frequent user of this road till I moved back to Chennai for good 2 years ago.Basically this drive is my first time on this road in 6 months.

I left at 600hrs from Jayanagar, Reached Ambur in quick time, But encountered heavy truck traffic upto vellore and the road quality from Ranipet to chennai has seriously deteriorated. The 4 lane road does seem inadequate as one is often stuck behind a slow moving lorry overtaking a slower moving lorry. Driving time has not changed inspite of the fast progress in the 6 lane roads because of the heavy truck traffic from Ranipet-Chennai.

On the 6 laning which is 60-70% complete, i do have some observations.
Yes the road has obviously opened up, one does not find as many truckers on the right lane anymore. They mostly sit on centre lane, which is tolerable but not entirely fine.

However overtaking slow moving truck traffic on the left needs to be carefully evaluated as the blind spots and variables are now more.
Lane discipline is not being followed at all especially by the truckers.

In order to make swift progress, there are times when multiple lane changes are required. I did feel uneasy about needing to making these lane changes at speed.
Old 24th March 2014, 21:26   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodromic View Post
But encountered heavy truck traffic upto vellore and the road quality from Ranipet to chennai has seriously deteriorated. The 4 lane road does seem inadequate as one is often stuck behind a slow moving lorry overtaking a slower moving lorry. Driving time has not changed inspite of the fast progress in the 6 lane roads because of the heavy truck traffic from Ranipet-Chennai.
These are basically sand laden trucks which start immediately after Ranipet and find them till Sriperambadur. More than the traffic chaos, it is the residual sand which they splash all around the place, that is posing a great challenge for other road users. I have been experiencing this pain lately on this stretch which is more pronounced nowadays. I generally take Ulundurpet for onward to Kovai and Krishnagiri for return. But I feel like totally giving up this stretch now because of truck traffic and bad stretch between Ranipet and Sriperambadur!
Old 25th March 2014, 12:53   #1557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
These are basically sand laden trucks which start immediately after Ranipet and find them till Sriperambadur.
+1. However while driving toward Chennai its less of a problem. Driving via Chitoor to many is not an option depending where they stay in Bangalore. Only solution is to time it right.
Old 6th April 2014, 19:49   #1558
BHPian

Did a solo round trip this weekend and tried both the Krishnagiri and Chittoor routes.

Onward (Krishnagiri route):
- Had breakfast at home and started from Hebbal at 6:15 AM, drove through the city and crossed Hosur at 7:15 AM.
- There was a huge queue in the Chinnar A2B (good I had breakfast at home), just had coffee and left.
- The Krishnagiri toll is increased to Rs.60.
- Took coconut breaks at 2 places, kept me hydrated through out the drive. In on of the shops just after the toll plaza, I happened to look into the straw and I could see lot of dark dirt, apparently it had come from the vehicles. Immediately threw the straw and drank directly from the coconut. I have decided to carry my own straws henceforth.
- Took the U-turn in front of Rajiv Gandhi Memorial at Sriperumbudhur. Then took a left and drove through Manimangalam-Tambaram route and reached my destination in Chitlapakkam at exactly 12:00 PM.

Return (Chittoor route):
- Decided to skip the evening traffic through Hosur and Bangalore city, so took the Chittoor route. Started from Chitlapakkam at 12:00 PM.
- Witnessed an accident in the Manimangalam-Tambaram SH. A truck had collided with a Tavera, the impact had flipped the Tavera upside down and threw both the vehicles off the road. It had happened just few minutes back and they were dragging out the injured and rounded-up the truck driver with cricket bats. Many vehicles had already stopped to help the injured, so I left. I saw ambulances rushing to the spot 5 minutes after I had left. It reminded me of the danger in the two-laned SHs.
- Had lunch in Murugan Idli Shop at Kaveripakkam. The masala vada was good, hard to get such tasty vada in city restaurants these days.
- Stopped for coffee at 24x7 Coffee day in Chittoor bye-pass.
- Progress in the two-lane road was slow because of moderate traffic. This made the route 'feel' longer though it was 23 kms shorter.
- The four laning work is in progress between Palamaner and Mulbagal, exactly from the Karnataka border onwards (roughly 17 kms prior to Mulbagal). There are many diversions due to this till the toll road starts after Mulbagal.
- Drive was event less after that. The signal free stretch from KR Puram to Hebbal helps a lot for the last leg of the journey. Reached Hebbal at exactly 6:00 PM.

Next time, I am thinking of trying Pallikonda-Gudiyattam-Palamaner-Mulbagal-KR Puram route. This route is longer by 10 kms, but it will reduce the drive in the 2 laned roads by 60 kms.
Old 7th April 2014, 12:35   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Next time, I am thinking of trying Pallikonda-Gudiyattam-Palamaner-Mulbagal-KR Puram route. This route is longer by 10 kms, but it will reduce the drive in the 2 laned roads by 60 kms.
I have done this route; it is indeed a good drive with hardly any traffic (once you are outside the Gudiyattam town limits). You will miss the AP-TN border if you are not watchful. The only traffic is the occasional bus or truck - near-zero cars and other private vehicles.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:01   #1560
BHPian

The toll rates are gone up in the BLR-HOSUR-KRISHNAGIRI-CHENNAI route from 1st of April. I have noticed an increase 5 rupees per single trip at some places.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks