Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2014, 18:53   #1711
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I did a one day trip Salem last Sunday . Heading there was fine in the morning, but I was afraid of the return since it was a Sunday evening and end of a long weekend.

Luckily, I could leave Salem by 2.15 and the return toll token helped in two booths.
The first one which was soon after Salem had a long Q and since there were Ganesha processions going on, there was a line of tempos who were let through on the extreme left booth free of toll and I followed them waving my return token and they let me through without having to wait in the Q.
The same didn't work in the next two tolls but worked at the one soon after Hosur when crossing into Karnataka.
The jam was slowly building up since it was only around 4.30 but got away again through the extreme left lane showing the return token.

Traffic was especially high from Krishnagiri since the Chennai traffic joins in and it was videogame mode then. The 6 lane is a blessing and the truckers keeping the middle lane without budging was even more a blessing. The car traffic was madness to say the least, 75% of the guys were in race mode. It is high time we had speed limits for the 3 lanes and stick to it which will never happen . If you don't watch your mirrors always, your in for a sideswipe. I was happy that I do most of my trips on this stretch on my bike .
Took the same time to get back as I did to reach Salem in the morning , which was a relaxed drive. Getting back, my speeds were a bit more in order to counter the toll booth jams and traffic.
Old 5th September 2014, 09:16   #1712
BHPian

Dear All,

Leaving for Chennai tomorrow morning and planning to take the Hoskote-Mulbagal-Chitoor route as staying in Whitefield. Please help with the following:-

a) As accomodation is on the ECR plan to turn of the NH at Sriperumbur onto SH 110 towards Tambaram and then onto the ECR link road? Is this a good road to take?

b) After Chittoor should i take the Chittoor-Ponnai rd towards Ranipet or should I drive to Vellore.

Thanking all of you in advance,

Jude
Old 5th September 2014, 09:24   #1713
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
a) As accomodation is on the ECR plan to turn of the NH at Sriperumbur onto SH 110 towards Tambaram and then onto the ECR link road? Is this a good road to take?
This is what you should take I think:

Route Link

Roads are good. When you near Tambaram, traffic would be high. But once reach GST, it would take. Take the radial ring road after Chromepet.

Quote:
b) After Chittoor should i take the Chittoor-Ponnai rd towards Ranipet or should I drive to Vellore.
Drive towards Ranipet and not Vellore.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 09:37   #1714
BHPian

As an update, the Mulbagal-KA Border 4-laning work is about 80% complete with some sections open for travel both ways. The only slow stretch is the Mulbagal bye-pass work with just too many speed breakers.

Oh and I spotted quite a few 'Kumbakonam Degree Coffee' outlets on this way! Got curious, tried one, never ever again!

On the other hand, tried Sai Sangeet on my return journey- the one after the Walajah toll. Decent food, good service. The shop there sells some unique food items sourced across the state. Elantha Vada and Kammarkut are my favs and they were really good! Recommended
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:06   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on where you are staying in ECR. If it is beyond Kanathur it is better to take the Vandalur Kelambakkam Road, Else what Ampere Suggested would be fine.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:43   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanking all of you in advance,

Jude
You should take the road leading to ranipet. Do note that post the toll plaza at chennasamudiram, road condition is very bad for driving.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 10:46   #1717
BHPian

Thank you Ampere and DWIND for the immediate response. Staying at Sea Shore Inn, Vivekannanda Street, I think in Swaminathanagar, next to the Mega Mart on SH 49, as we have to attend the function at the Blue Lagoon the same night.

Dear Ampere,

From the OMR should I take Pandian Salai on to ECR or is there a better way. Did my training in OTS Madras in 1974-never seen all these places-so will be slightly lost.

Jude
Old 5th September 2014, 11:04   #1718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear Ampere,
From the OMR should I take Pandian Salai on to ECR or is there a better way. Did my training in OTS Madras in 1974-never seen all these places-so will be slightly lost.

Jude

Yes, that would a good option. But lets also here from Chennai folks. they would know better.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:18   #1719
BHPian

Will wait for ECR folks (ThadEGinathom lives closer to the place) to confirm if Pandian Salai is motorable for crossing the Buckingham canal. If not, the reliable alternate is going north all the way till TIDEL Park Junction and joining ECR from the start at Tiruvanmiyur. The Megamart is actually on the opposite side of the road. The Hotel is on lane adjacent to Petrol pump.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 12:53   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the OMR should I take Pandian Salai on to ECR or is there a better way.
I don't think there are any motorable connections between ECR and OMR between Tidel Park and Sholinganallur (and Sholinganallur and Kelambakkam). This Pandian Salai is at Neelangarai, isn't it? It used to be a bridge with steps till some time back (with a ramp for bikes, I think). Have they rebuilt this bridge?
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 15:58   #1721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I don't think there are any motorable connections between ECR and OMR between Tidel Park and Sholinganallur (and Sholinganallur and Kelambakkam). This Pandian Salai is at Neelangarai, isn't it? It used to be a bridge with steps till some time back (with a ramp for bikes, I think). Have they rebuilt this bridge?
I also noted this later. Quite surprising. Almost 10km in parallel, but not a way to cross. Any specific reason for this?
Old 6th September 2014, 16:11   #1722
VKS
BHPian

Now we have the ORR open in Chennai. Can this be a better road to connect from Sriperumbudur to say Tambaram/South Chennai? I am not sure of the alignment of this road though.
Old 6th September 2014, 16:33   #1723
BHPian

Quote:

a) As accomodation is on the ECR plan to turn of the NH at Sriperumbur onto SH 110 towards Tambaram and then onto the ECR link road? Is this a good
road to take?

Jude
Yes, be sure to take a U turn on the Highway. Hint: When you see the National Flag flying High on far left on the highway, look for a board that says Tambaram. * The National Flag is from the Rajiv Gandhi Memorial and is actually at your right when going towards Chennai.) The roads are good but you will face some traffic about 5-6 kms from Tambaram. For going to ECR, you can go towards Sholingnallur straight from Tambaram which is again a crowded area as you enter the Suburbs.

Quote:

Jude
You can take the Ranipet route, the roads are relatively empty, except in Ranipet main area. It is better than going to Vellor and then catching the highway.

All the best
baahubali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2014, 09:06   #1724
rv3
BHPian

Well, did make the trip I had planned. We chose the timings carefully so as to not hit the peak traffic. Almost went right except for one part. Will detail below:

1. On Thursday, started at 10:30am from our E-City residence. Had got the Fiesta serviced with engine oil and brake pads changed with wheel alignment and balancing done, the vehicle was a piece of cake.

2. Reached Hosur and the fly-over construction was the only reason to slow down, else the traffic was not heavy. Reached Shoolagiri at 11:30am and had breakfast at McDonalds and Krishna Restaurant - my family going for burgers and I being a Dosa fan !

3. After crossing Ranipet at about 2pm, the road woes started. Thanks to the BHPians posting in this thread, I was alert to miss a few. Majority of the holes were covered with patches but that also caused the car to be bumpy. The bad patch lasts about 20 Kms is what I recollect.

4. Reached outskirts of Poonamallee at 3:30pm and we hit the traffic. The Chennai bikers have a strange habit of overtaking from the left and slowing down in front of four wheelers. I noticed it not once but 5 times and was surprised. Not that this does not happen in Bangalore but the precision of overtaking from the left and slowing down in front the car was something. The city buses aren't any better. It appeared to me that the government had given a "license to kill" to these bus drivers. So random was their driving that my daughter asked me to stop till all the buses go!

5. Our stay was in Courtyard Marriott on Mount Road (sorry, I'm not used to Anna Salai) and due to the Metro Rail construction underway, the road was a skeleton of what it used to be. This made the traffic heavier and random driving crazier - buses again! Reached hotel at 4:45pm and called the day off.

6. Return was smooth. Started on Saturday at 11:15am from Marriott and since it was weekend and off-peak hours, the traffic was light and Kanchipuram was just a hour and half. As someone in this thread pointed out, the roads from Chennai to Bangalore are better with lesser holes and spots.

7. No major delays in any of the toll gates and reached E-City at 4:30pm.

In summary, the trip was good. Was scared of the queues in toll booths but due to the off-peak timings, it was a breeze. I made it a point not to cross 110kph and kept under 100 most of the journey. The roads are good to very good in some places with Hosur and the Ranipet to Kanchipuram exception. it always helps to get the vehicle serviced/checked before long drives.
Old 8th September 2014, 09:35   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I had been to Krishnagiri on Saturday evening to attend my friend's reception. I left my home at Bommanhalli by 6 30 PM. Till Attibele toll, there was traffic. Once i crossed into TN, was welcomed by a big traffic jam due to truck breakdown. This stop and go traffic continued all the way till we crossed the board showing the diversion to Rayakottai.

The roads and traffic in Hosur make driving a pain. This trouble compounds further in case of rain or truck break down.

Post Hosur, roads were very good but in some stretches there were no lane markings. Reached the manatapam in krishnagiri by 9 PM.

The return trip was a bliss to drive. Fortunately there was no major hold up at Krishnagiri toll. Looks like they have revised the toll fare for return trip. (Earlier it was Rs 85. Now it is Rs 90).

Left the mantapam by 10:15 PM and reached home by 11 45 PM.

My observations are as follows:

1. Be wary while driving in the night in hosur. Some sections close to the road divider are broken.
2. Preferably avoid driving towards chennai in the evening. Traffic can be a pain.

Most Viewed