Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 10:54   #1726
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKS View Post
Now we have the ORR open in Chennai. Can this be a better road to connect from Sriperumbudur to say Tambaram/South Chennai? I am not sure of the alignment of this road though.
I would say, stick to Manimangalam route if you intend to go to Bangalore. You will now have to endure traffic, bad roads and pay toll for it on NH4 and will take more time than Manimangalam if you use ORR. The ORR is useful only for folks who want to reach Avadi /Pattabiram in a hurry (no need to pay toll and ride on super-bumpy Bye-pass road) or going to Tirupathi (get down in Nazarethpet on NH4 and take the right to Tiruvallur road or continue all the way and join MTH road at Nemelichery and endure potholed MTH Road for 15 Kms till Tiruvallur). Either ways ORR is not useful until phase 2 where it connects NH5 is completed.

BTW the road starts from Mannivakkam - connects Mudichur Road at Old Perungulathur - connects Kundrathur Sriperumbadur road near Madha Engineering college - connects NH4 at Nazarethpettai (just after the Poonamalee flyover) - flies across the Chennai - Arakkonam Trunk Line and connects to MTH Road at Nemilicherry (right to patabiram / Avadi and left to Thiruninravur and Thiruvallur)

Last edited by DWind : 8th September 2014 at 11:04.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 19:08   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes, that would a good option. But lets also here from Chennai folks. they would know better.

Back from my round trip-Bangaore-Chennai (ECR Road)-Coonnor-Bangalore (1368 kms).

Reached my hotel on ECR road by taking the road to Tambaram from Sriperumbur onto the ECR Link road turned left on reaching ECR. All the locals said that this was the best route as its shorter and you avoid entering the City.

Thank you for all the advice.

Jude
Old 15th September 2014, 16:20   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Is anyone aware of the road condition between Walajahbad and Vandalur??
Old 15th September 2014, 17:08   #1729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

- Its better going via Sriperumbudur.
- Oragadam-Vandalur : 4-lane.

I think Walajabad-Oragdam road is just about OK not all that great. But may be worth a try.

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2014 at 17:09.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 13:29   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Mostly 4 lane except for a few places where they are expanding the road. There are a few speed breakers, so cannot cruize as you would on NH. Agree with Ampere, better to use Sriperumbuthur route.
arsudarsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 08:55   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Guys, this is going to be my first long drive but I'm planning a chennai - bangalore, from Adyar. Honda Amaze S MT, petrol.

What is the "safest" route to follow? That is, not too many unmarked speedbreakers, decent roads, medium traffic (of course in the daytime), decent amount of rest stops, more newbie friendly shall we say.

My inclination is via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur, but always open to advice. Is there a reasonable and shorter route through say the OMR, as I am in Adyar, and focused on reaching the Chennai outskirts without too much traffic?
Old 20th September 2014, 10:20   #1732

I would suggest the route that takes you through OMR, Pallavaram radial ring road to GST, then on to Vandalur - Orgadam, Orgadam- Sriperumbudur to there after join at the NH. Alternatively you could also take the Tambaram- Manimangalam road to Sriperumbudur. I personally take the former route from my residence on OMR.
Jerry macG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 10:28   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Guys, this is going to be my first long drive but I'm planning a chennai - bangalore, from Adyar. Honda Amaze S MT, petrol.

What is the "safest" route to follow? That is, not too many unmarked speedbreakers, decent roads, medium traffic (of course in the daytime), decent amount of rest stops, more newbie friendly shall we say.
Fancy meeting you here.

Just pick the GQ route all the way through. Adyar > Guindy > Porur > Poonamallee (bypass the town) > Sriperumbudur > Vellore > Krishnagiri > Hosur > Attibele > Bangalore. The route is very well signposted and has ample options for breaking you journey. Whereabouts in Bangalore? Once you enter Bangalore city it is a showroom of sorts for speedbreakers anyway.

Last edited by binand : 20th September 2014 at 10:40.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 17:36   #1734
Senior - BHPian

As for the where in Bangalore, I am still waiting on that. Could be electronics city, but I hope something more central like vittal mallya road - the guy I am going to meet has offices in both those places.

I will take my chances with Bangalore city traffic, highway traffic on bad roads is what I wanted to avoid. Thanks man.
Old 20th September 2014, 18:46   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the where in Bangalore, I am still waiting on that. Could be electronics city, but I hope something more central like vittal mallya road - the guy I am going to meet has offices in both those places.

I will take my chances with Bangalore city traffic, highway traffic on bad roads is what I wanted to avoid. Thanks man.
OK, for both locations you needn't consider anything other than NH-7 to enter Bangalore. The reason I asked you is that depending on day of week and time of day, it pays to enter Bangalore via Sarjapur Road or Old Madras Road if your final destination is in the arc covering Marathahalli to Jalahalli - for which you need to leave the GQ at Hosur or Attibele and travel via NH 207.

As for your last line - Team-BHP's Bangalore traffic ranting thread is ~450 pages. The corresponding one for Chennai is ~150 pages.
Old 20th September 2014, 19:32   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Been stuck for over half an hour in a jam outside koshys more than once. So yes, that is a cross I will have to bear.
Old 20th September 2014, 23:44   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My inclination is via Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur, but always open to advice. Is there a reasonable and shorter route through say the OMR, as I am in Adyar, and focused on reaching the Chennai outskirts without too much traffic?
I would advise you to take tambaram bypass -Manimangalam route to touch sriperumbudur. From here follow the route to krishnagiri. BTW what time do you intend to leave from Adyar
Old 21st September 2014, 06:03   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Around 6 in the morning - as soon as there is sufficient daylight. That way I get to bangalore in time, and can also beat most of the morning rush traffic.
Old 21st September 2014, 12:44   #1739
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Around 6 in the morning - as soon as there is sufficient daylight. That way I get to bangalore in time, and can also beat most of the morning rush traffic.
Start by 4:30/5. Because 6 would be the time Chennai/Kanchi bus services would also start. It would a good thing to beat them. Murugan Idly, Arya Bhavan, Sai Sangeet CCD etc are some places to halt.
Old 21st September 2014, 12:57   #1740
Senior - BHPian

In this festival eve, i am making a trip to Chennai and back: onward- 30th night starting from Bangalore, return- 1st night from there.

I am wary about the traffic situations owing to the long weekend, as i have to drive down to Coimbatore a few hours after returning. Fingers crossed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks