Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 16:51   #1786
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Need to drive down on Saturday for a function. The function is at Premavathi Hall (JD Mahal) 200ft road, Kovilambakkam. Question is what is the best approach to this place? Google Maps indicates to deviate from Sriperumbadur via what seems to be marked as SH110 (Sriperumbadur-Mudichur-Tambaram) Road. Is this the right route? Or is there a better option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Kovilambakkam is on the Tambaram to Velachery road - around 7 or 8 km down the road from Tambaram. So this looks like a reasonable route to me. That last stretch is horribly crowded so please be aware.
I am actually OK with the radial road traffic. If one is there at the right time, it should be fine.
Follow this route to the T : Route Link

This works like a charm. I use this option all the time.

Few Notes:
- At point A on NH4 you CANNOT turn to the Tambaram road.
- You have to go ahead, take a U and come back
- Note there is fork on NH4. One leads to Tambaram/Kundrathur, while the other leads to Oragadam.
- Once you take a U and come back to take a left, that left turn would be almost like another U turn.
- At point C you will exit for Tamabaram. The straight roads goes to Kundrathur
- The road has some blind turns. Be aware and take care.
- You go below two main trunk roads (Chennai bypass and the Outer ring road)
- Once you reach E, take a left. These are relatively smaller roads and are crowded. But you will pass. You basically bypass Tambaram station crowd.
- At point F you join GST
- While on GST, go below the first over bridge exit (Chromepet). Take the second one (at point G)
- Once on 200 feet (Radial Road) you hit your destination

Quote:
On the return we plan to leave around 8 PM (multiple drivers are there). How is the night drive on this stretch?
Since you start at 8PM, I dont know how good the Tambaram-Sriperumbudur road is at night. I would let the Chennai guys comment on that.

Last edited by ampere : 30th October 2014 at 16:53.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 18:29   #1787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since you start at 8PM, I dont know how good the Tambaram-Sriperumbudur road is at night. I would let the Chennai guys comment on that.
The latest I have used the road at night was at 1:00 AM once and it was fine. Expect quite a bit of tipper lorry traffic and night shift buses from Sriperumbudur to Tambaram. There is one bridge near the JK tyre company where there is a diversion and the road is pretty bad and better watch out.
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 18:32   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the return we plan to leave around 8 PM (multiple drivers are there). How is the night drive on this stretch?
For the return I'd suggest taking Tambaram-Vandalur-Outer Ring Road-Nazarathpet. It'll take you past major bottlenecks. There might be slow progress till Sriperumbudur due to traffic. Traffic should then ease up considerably beyond that.

I think there is a service road from Mudichur Road to get on the ORR as well. The road has been recently opened, even toll collection is yet to begin.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 21:16   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am actually OK with the radial road traffic.

Thanks Amp for the detailed instructions. Will follow this route
Old 2nd November 2014, 21:39   #1790
BHPian

Did the Chennai-Bangalore stretch via the GQ yesterday. Usually I prefer the Chittoor route , since I live in East Bangalore, but this time I returned by the GQ after a year's absence from this route.

The thing that struck me was the explosion of two wheelers near Vellore. Yes, I was crossing this stretch at "peak hour", at about 6.30 PM, but still there seems to have been a multifold increase in motorcycles on the road. Never remember it being like this before.

Right from the Chittoor turnoff up to Pallikonda tollgate, this was what I experienced

- The service lane (ha ha) - gap between the left lane and the edge of the road, was exclusively taken by two wheelers coming on the wrong side of the road
- The left lane was fully occupied by the slow two wheelers
- Half the middle lane was occupied by the Valentino Rossi wannabees , who didn't want to be bothered by their slow moving brethren on the left
- The right lane was commanded by the 40kmph trucks and trailers
- In this were swinging in and out, cars and SUVs at over 100 kmph

Of course, not one of the 200 odd two wheeler riders I must have seen, sported a helmet.

I really wonder what is the safe way to drive in this situation.

Thankfully, after the Pallikonda toll, it was all bliss.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:09   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Few Notes:
- At point A on NH4 you CANNOT turn to the Tambaram road.
- You have to go ahead, take a U and come back
- Note there is fork on NH4. One leads to Tambaram/Kundrathur, while the other leads to Oragadam.
- Once you take a U and come back to take a left, that left turn would be almost like another U turn.
- At point C you will exit for Tamabaram. The straight roads goes to Kundrathur
- The road has some blind turns. Be aware and take care.
- You go below two main trunk roads (Chennai bypass and the Outer ring road)
- Once you reach E, take a left. These are relatively smaller roads and are crowded. But you will pass. You basically bypass Tambaram station crowd.
- At point F you join GST
- While on GST, go below the first over bridge exit (Chromepet). Take the second one (at point G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
The latest I have used the road at night was at 1:00 AM once and it was fine. Expect quite a bit of tipper lorry traffic and night shift buses from Sriperumbudur to Tambaram. There is one bridge near the JK tyre company where there is a diversion and the road is pretty bad and better watch out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
For the return I'd suggest taking Tambaram-Vandalur-Outer Ring Road-Nazarathpet. It'll take you past major bottlenecks. There might be slow progress till Sriperumbudur due to traffic. Traffic should then ease up considerably beyond that.

I think there is a service road from Mudichur Road to get on the ORR as well. The road has been recently opened, even toll collection is yet to begin.

Many thanks Amp for the detailed steps. There is only so much google maps can tell you. So your instructions were invaluable.

Sridhar/Narayan/hserus, thank you for your pointers too.

Overall was a smooth trip.
  • Left Silkboard at 11am on Sat Morning. Got stuck for 15 minutes at BETL Toll and then another 20 Min at Attibelle. Progress through the under construction areas of Hosur was also slow. Was almost 12.40 when we finally passed Hosur.
  • Smooth sailing after that till Ranipet. In between stopped at 'Saisangeet'-Few km before Ambur for Lunch. We wanted Dosa but the waiter was pushing to take meals and we finally did that. Meals were excellent. Looks like several outlets have opened on the Krishnagiri-Vellore Stretch. There was nothing when I last drove this route ~2 years back.
  • Ranipet to Sriperumbadur, traffic gets heavy, roads get worse. Taking a U Turn and getting on to the Tambaram Road was a nightmare due to the evening traffic. Are there no plans of expansion for this stretch?
  • Sriperumbedur-Tambaram Road was pretty good (apart from the first 2km) with less traffic for most part.
  • From the point where the road cross under the Chennai Bye-pass, traffic was heavy and it was raining.
  • Reached the destination on 200 ft Road by 6PM with an hour of breaks.
  • On the return, took the same route. Could leave only by 10 PM. Very heavy truck traffic between Sriperumbadur and Ranipet. Was raining almost throughout.
  • Truck traffic got heavy again as we approached Bangalore. But nothing too bad
  • Reached Silkboard by 3.30 am with a 15-20 min tea break.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 12:58   #1792
BHPian

Hi Blr-Chennai gurus, planning to drive down to Chennai on Dec 4th, for a 1 night stay. Reason: Visa for family. I have booked at one Hotel called 'E Hotel', and the reviewers of the hotel said its near a mall (Express Avenue?). What is the best way to reach this place from Bangalore? I believe its near to the US Consulate as well. Any suggestions on what places to be shown to family in Chennai (W+2K). This is our first time visit here. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th November 2014, 14:44   #1793
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
planning to drive down to Chennai on Dec 4th, for a 1 night stay. Reason: Visa for family. I have booked at one Hotel called 'E Hotel', and the reviewers of the hotel said its near a mall (Express Avenue?). What is the best way to reach this place from Bangalore? I believe its near to the US Consulate as well. Any suggestions on what places to be shown to family in Chennai (W+2K). This is our first time visit here.
US consulate is near Gemini Flyover, close to T Nagar area.
When you enter Chennai after the Sriperumbudur toll turn left, then a right and you will reach Guindy Kathipara junction. Take the up ramp that goes straightish towards St. Thomas mount and then turn left (90 degree turn). Now you'r on Mount Road, keep going straight and you're in T Nagar. I'm not sure where E-hotel is but you can ask someone there or others here can help with that.
Places to see - Marina beach, can't think of anything else
If possible visit Mahabalipuram.
You can take the KR Puram route (Kolar-Mulbagal-Ranipet-Wallajah-NH 46-Sriperumbudur) if that is closer from your home or go via Hosur, Krishnagiri and turn left to NH 46 towards Vellore.

Needless to say, start early.

Last edited by NPV : 11th November 2014 at 14:47.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 15:28   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
US consulate is near Gemini Flyover, close to T Nagar area.When you enter Chennai after the Sriperumbudur toll turn left, then a right and you will reach Guindy Kathipara junction.
You can take the KR Puram route..
Dear NPV, Thanks for taking the time to address my query. Please see the attached map. Given your inputs, I have found where SriPerumbudur and St Thomas Mount is. Due to the unfamiliarity of the area, I am not really able to correlate your suggestions with the map (taking left at toll booth). Also, please look at Google Map suggestions. 'B' is my destination. If you can provide additional details, it would be great.

I will be taking the Hosur route, as I live in South. I plan to leave by 5AM. Hope thats ok (for a 3PM appointment for BioMetrics).

All your inputs are much appreciated!

[EDIT: Provided the attachment].
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chennai.png  

Last edited by bsdbsd : 11th November 2014 at 15:29.
Old 11th November 2014, 15:41   #1795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on what places to be shown to family in Chennai (W+2K).
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Places to see - Marina beach, can't think of anything else
Er... a city with 400 years of history, HQ of Madras Presidency, cradle of Carnatic music, home to a UNESCO World Heritage site has nothing to see? :-)

For kids the Birla Planetarium in Kotturpuram should be entertaining. So's the snake park at Guindy National Park. Besant Nagar beach is a perennial favourite of my son. If you then hit the ECR, boating in Muttukadu lake can also be considered. If you are staying longer you could make a trip to VGP or Mahabalipuram. ECR also has Crocodile and Dolphin parks.

Then you could try buying a fine Kanchipuram saree in T Nagar. Or maybe a visit to Dakshina Chitra. Catch a Bharatnatyam performance or a Kacheri. Visit some of the several temples & churches in and around Chennai (Kapaleeshwara is close by, so's Santhome). Check out the bonzais at Semmozhi (it is opposite to US consulate). The government museum on Pantheon Road also is a must-see.

If you can venture a bit further, there's a rail museum at ICF, Perambur.

Last but not the least, see if you can watch Kathi in a theatre with hard-core Vijay fans. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 15:49   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Er... a city with 400 years of history, HQ of Madras Presidency, cradle of Carnatic music, home to a UNESCO World Heritage site has nothing to see? :-)
Laughed out loud at this comment. I am sure NPV mentioned Marina Beach alone, given my 1 day stay, coupled with some commitments.

Thank you for your post. I have noted down the places and will try to identify what can fit in. I may have to extend my stay though. Best Regards.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:50   #1797
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean that at all!

Quote:
Laughed out loud at this comment. I am sure NPV mentioned Marina Beach alone, given my 1 day stay, coupled with some commitments.
Yes sir you're right!

I was looking for an earlier post which @narayans80 had written up for me on my first drive to Chennai. This definitely is one of the best posts on this thread and I followed it down to the letter.

Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 00:13   #1798
Senior - BHPian

To add to binand's list, Vandalur Zoo

Quote:
Then you could try buying a fine Kanchipuram saree in T Nagar.
Its better to get Kanchipuram saree in Kanchipuram itself. Got to admit, having lived 3 decades in T.Nagar, hardly bought normal clothes in T.Nagar, let alone expensive stuff like Kanchipuram sarees

Quote:
I will be taking the Hosur route, as I live in South. I plan to leave by 5AM. Hope thats ok (for a 3PM appointment for BioMetrics).
The writeup I wrote for NPV was for Hotel Palmgrove. Its actually the ideal place to stay for US Consulate. For you the change would be to take the Anna Flyover (Gemini Flyover) (you can actually spot US consulate on the right from Anna flyover).

Once you cross Anna Flyover, there are sign ages (towards right) for EA (Express Avenue) closer to Spencer Plaza, which is 3 traffic signals away (Greams Road signal, Anand theatre signal, Spencer). Don't know where exactly this E hotel is, GMaps suggests its in Express Avenue. Be wary that the area near Express Avenue is filled with one-ways due to Metro construction on Mount Road (Anna Salai).

5AM Bangalore start will land you in peak weekday Madras traffic Either leave previous evening like 500 PM ish or much earlier in the morning like 230-300 AM, so you reach your destination by 730-800AM. My pick is always the evening start from both ends.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 09:30   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Second Narayans80's comment on early morning or late night start.
The last ~40 KM's towards Chennai is patchy road and along with truck traffic it is a pain, if you land up around office time you will have to deal with office shuttle buses too. If possible try crossing Silkboard ~ 04.00 AM, this will take you inside Chennai city before 09.00 AM. In case that is not possible, the best option would be to start previous day evening. Though on a weekend do plan your trip either after or before private buses start from Silkboard.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 10:43   #1800
BHPian

Just a suggestion, since you are visiting for the first time, it is better to have Google Maps for Chennai downloaded on your phone. I usually have the entire route saved as offline maps. Also, this is where the Consulate is - American Consulate General - Chennai

This is the location of the document processing center that you need to go for the first day of your visa proceedings(Biometrics etc) - OFC American Consulate - Documents processing center

I hate it that the Google maps location of the consulate is wrong in Chennai. It is so misleading and never shows the right place! When I had visited Chennai for same purpose of Visa earlier in June this year, the consulate was showing somewhere 3 kms along Mount Road from where the actual building is. Now it is not even showing the building correctly!
sswaroop is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks