Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:01   #1831
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Any idea on the costs? Is it per km or full day charges for x km? Are both doable in a day? Any local must-see places? Also, I definitely want to have lunch at the famous Saravana Bhavan. Which would be the closest?
We negotiated for the whole day ( language barrier / convenience) we did both in the same day...after the consulate work ( finished by 8:30 AM ) , had breakfast @ Saravana Bhavan , which was a major disappointment. Hired the taxi for a whole day ( paid around 1200 if I recollect) and went to crocodile park, proceeded to Mahabalipuram beach and had lunch there itself. Came by 4 PM ish , freshened up and left for besant nagar beach. Took the night train back to Bangalore.
Old 22nd December 2014, 14:23   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Phamilyman and mazda4life.
I think my wife may get dresses like salwar-kameez etc, maybe some westerns. Looks like T-Nagar is good option for shopping.

I'm planning to check with local hotel guys regarding hiring taxi for Mahabalipuram & Kanchipuram. Any idea on the costs? Is it per km or full day charges for x km? Are both doable in a day? Any local must-see places? Also, I definitely want to have lunch at the famous Saravana Bhavan. Which would be the closest?
Saravana Bhavan isnt that worth it. I like the one on RK Salai but there's one in T Nagar only.

You can hire taxis from fast track or NTL taxis which should do the job (reputed companies with a decent price) for outstation. In town you can use the autos if you want to save some cost. Else use uber / ola !

If you have full day both mahabs/kanchipuram are doable - in half day I would say choose any one.
Old 22nd December 2014, 17:23   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Also, I definitely want to have lunch at the famous Saravana Bhavan. Which would be the closest?
If you are very particular about Saravana Bhavan, there is one, one of the first branches, very near Kalaimagal Nagar. It is just about a Km or slightly more on the 100 feet road.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...421d909f76f481

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
When you get to Chittoor you would turn left to go towards Bangalore (right goes inside chittoor town). J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Bans is not on the Bangalore road, you will have to take the Chittoor bye-pass towards Tirupati(right turn just ahead of the CCD) and you'll see the hotel in a couple of kms.

Edit: just noticed the date of your travel and realized my posting is late. Nevertheless it might help others.
Thanks to both of you NPV and luvride. On 12th we went to Bans for lunch. Even when I left my home in Chennai it was slightly drizzling and when we reached Chittoor around 1.30 and were having lunch the sky had completely darkened and it started to pour. I had no choice but to leave my bike Bans. They were kind enough to accommodate my request. I came back on 14th and picked it up back. It was a safe place to leave the bike.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2014 at 12:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 23rd December 2014, 16:47   #1834
BHPian

Has anyone driven recently from Bangalore to Chennai via Hosur in early mornings? How is the fog between Hosur and Krishnagiri between 6 and 7 AM? Is it manageable?
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:51   #1835
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Has anyone driven recently from Bangalore to Chennai via Hosur in early mornings?
Yes, I did on 3 Dec 2014; left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 4:35 am and reached Chennai Royapettah home by 11:35 am.

Quote:
How is the fog between Hosur and Krishnagiri between 6 and 7 AM?
Very dense fog gave us company upto Shoolagiri, between Hosur and Krishnagiri, and then, the weather was clear. We were greeted with fog from Chittoor to Hosakote on 21 Nov 2014 too during our Chennai-Bangalore trip.

Quote:
Is it manageable?
Yes; but, I drove slowly on the third and fourth gears till weather god gave us green signal at Shoolagiri.
  (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 18:27   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Saravana Bhavan isnt that worth it. I like the one on RK Salai but there's one in T Nagar only.

You can hire taxis from fast track or NTL taxis which should do the job (reputed companies with a decent price) for outstation. In town you can use the autos if you want to save some cost. Else use uber / ola !

If you have full day both mahabs/kanchipuram are doable - in half day I would say choose any one.
The taste in saravana bhavan is more or less standardized but it is the McDonalds of south indian food. Tripadvisor is the team-bhp of restaurant and hotel reviews, use it.

For example in and around the consulate area, there are bayleaf, kalpaka etc that are far better than saravana bhavan. And near the fingerprinting location there are a bunch of other restaurants you can try (go upto mount road I guess, on the road where the fingerprint center is, there's just a Dhaba Express).

As for travel, carzonrent Myles self drive is around in Chennai. Get yourself a GPS and self drive car and DIY your driving. http://www.carzonrent.com/myles/chennai/
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 13:54   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
BSD, just checked their site and Tripadvisor reviews you had given. Looks like they are situated in the mall (which you can call them up and double check). The place a new kid in the block (< 2 years old), so not aware of it, reviews look excellent though. You'll have no dearth for food choices for sure. Do post your feedback after your stay.

Do ask the hotel if there is a separate entrance (most importantly separate parking) for the hotel patrons. The EA mall parking has 2nd most expensive parking charges

Also do take an auto/call taxi for the consulate visit. As finding a parking spot near consulate might take more time than spend at the consulate itself
Stayed in E-Hotel earlier this year and planning to stay there again next week. Hotel is part of a big mall and has dedicated parking space which is free of cost for hotel patrons. The stay helped us a lot during hot summer as we came out of the hotel into the Mall directly which was centrally air-conditioned and has Multiplex as well whose maximum ticket is 150 INR. Lots of eateries around so that you can try various options in Mall apart from buffet menu served at Hotel.
Service was good and rooms were also decent considering it to be a new construction.
Old 31st December 2014, 18:36   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Recommend me the less traffic route from Krishnagiri to Bangalore Airport. Is there a Ring Road / Bypass road to avoid bangalore traffic to reach the airport from Krishnagiri via Hosur.
Old 31st December 2014, 18:56   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Recommend me the less traffic route from Krishnagiri to Bangalore Airport. Is there a Ring Road / Bypass road to avoid bangalore traffic to reach the airport from Krishnagiri via Hosur.
Hosur-Bagalur-Chikka Tirupati-NH 207 and then Hoskote-Devanahalli backtrack a few km towards Bangalore-BIAL.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 10:09   #1840
BHPian

Drove down to Chennai on 2nd Jan via Hosur Krishnagiri route. Came back on 3rd Jan. The drive was uneventful.

On 3rd Jan, within Chennai city (somewhere near Guindy), police stopped my KA registered car, and demanded to show original (emphasis given by policeman) RC, DL, Insurance and toll receipt. The constable was mentioning that they will impose a fine of 3000 rupees if I don't have toll receipt! Not sure if it is really the case, but since I had all documents and toll receipts, they let me go. They had stopped a few commercial goods vehicles and some motorbikes also.
Old 5th January 2015, 11:14   #1841
Senior - BHPian

This sort of drive always seems to start up at the end of the month, I am surprised why it took place early in the month (and soon after payday?)

Original RC smartcard and insurance is a legitimate demand, but who retains toll receipts and why does he care? The tollgate at the other end won't let you through anyway unless you provide a receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
Drove down to Chennai on 2nd Jan via Hosur Krishnagiri route. Came back on 3rd Jan. The drive was uneventful.

On 3rd Jan, within Chennai city (somewhere near Guindy), police stopped my KA registered car, and demanded to show original (emphasis given by policeman) RC, DL, Insurance and toll receipt. The constable was mentioning that they will impose a fine of 3000 rupees if I don't have toll receipt! Not sure if it is really the case, but since I had all documents and toll receipts, they let me go. They had stopped a few commercial goods vehicles and some motorbikes also.
Old 5th January 2015, 21:54   #1842
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Need route help from the Chennai experts/locals

Going to L B Road Adyar, how to get here from Kathipara junction ?

Appreciate you valuable inputs!
Old 5th January 2015, 22:04   #1843
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Going to L B Road Adyar, how to get here from Kathipara junction ?
Katthipara junction>Guindy>Little Mount>Raj Bhavan>Anna University>Go on the flyover>Madhya Kailash>L B Road.
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 22:10   #1844
Senior - BHPian

Essentially a straight road and very hard to miss.

Don't you have google maps on your phone, by the way? That should take you around chennai without any issues.
Old 5th January 2015, 22:16   #1845
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, how is traffic on this road at this time of the year ? Esp around Vellore

note: It's pilgrimage time around Vellore

Most Viewed