Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 12:27   #1921
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Hi Suresh,

Tiruvallur-Tiruttani is in excellent condition. But please note that the roads inside Tiruvallur town are not good.

Between Tiruttani to Chittoor, though i have not driven in direct route via Valakanampudi-Bukkapatnam, i have driven via Tirttuani-Nagari-Pallipattu-Chittoor. They roads are in excellent/Very good condition. This route is about 15 kms longer. Sorry i don't have update on direct route, but hope the alternate route info helps just in case.

-Ravi
Ravi, Thanx a lot for your feedback. Looking at google maps, it is quite clear that on the direct route between Chittoor and Tiruthanni via Bukkapatnam, the road is broken enroute.
So i will try the route suggested by you on my return trip and update the trip details.
Old 31st March 2015, 14:19   #1922
Senior - BHPian

Drove to Chennai and back over the weekend. Road is very good between Krishnagiri and Vellore with 3+3 lanes operational and somewhat artistically designed light masts on the median. Road between Bangalore and Krishnagiri is still a "work in progress" at many parts, including Hosur. One of the flyovers in Hosur seem to be open in the reverse direction. Road reverts to 2-lane after Vellore and becomes patchy at about 50kms from Chennai. Crazy traffic around Chennai as usual with thousands of "unprotected heads" riding all contraptions on two wheels.
Old 31st March 2015, 15:00   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Toll fares are revised starting tomorrow. I think hike is expected in following toll booths between Bangalore-Madras

Krishnagiri,
Vaniyambadi,
Pallikonda,
Chennasamudram,
Sriperumbudur

-Ravi
Old 31st March 2015, 18:00   #1924
BHPian

This is a real threat to kill the driver enthusiast in us. We pay tax and again taxed for paying the tax. Whoa man we are truly patriotic.
Old 31st March 2015, 19:02   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Toll fares are revised starting tomorrow. I think hike is expected in following toll booths between Bangalore-Madras

Krishnagiri,
Vaniyambadi,
Pallikonda,
Chennasamudram,
Sriperumbudur

-Ravi
Looks like the best way to mint money is to start a toll booth. So far the state highways have been spared.
Old 31st March 2015, 19:31   #1926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Looks like the best way to mint money is to start a toll booth. So far the state highways have been spared.
The sad part is, i guess the overall increase will be close to 50 bucks :(
Already the one way toll is too high, and this is like pouring oil to the fire.

I don't understand the road tax which runs to several thousands or even lacs, we pay at the time of vehicle purchase is only for city driving because they anyway charge in highways !

-Ravi
Old 31st March 2015, 22:11   #1927

Hi,
Can anyone please tell me where exactly is the right turn located in Palamaner which leads to Pallikonda and hence join the GQ to Vellore-Sriperambudur and Chennai?
and also how is this stretch of road, be it in terms of traffic and the quality of road?
Old 1st April 2015, 06:44   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNaz View Post
Hi,
Can anyone please tell me where exactly is the right turn located in Palamaner which leads to Pallikonda and hence join the GQ to Vellore-Sriperambudur and Chennai?
and also how is this stretch of road, be it in terms of traffic and the quality of road?
Once you enter Palamaner, you will find a big yellow board on the right side indicating the direction to Gudiyattam. This is the road that leads to Pallikonda.

I will be driving on this route tomorrow to Chennai.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 09:58   #1929
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I think it is simpler to just drive ahead and join the GQ from Ranipet/Wallajah.

At Ranipet, there is a junction with a high mast light in the middle, make a right turn here and take the immediate left fork near a temple. It is a narrow street that goes through some shops and houses and at the end of the street make a right turn and you're on the GQ where you can merge left.
If you miss this, going straight will take you through Wallajah town and at the end of the town, road curves to right and merges with GQ again.
These routes will take you to the Wallajah toll directly just before the Arya Bhavan hotel.

Last edited by NPV : 1st April 2015 at 09:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 11:58   #1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think it is simpler to just drive ahead and join the GQ from Ranipet/Wallajah.

At Ranipet, there is a junction with a high mast light in the middle, make a right turn here and take the immediate left fork near a temple. It is a narrow street that goes through some shops and houses and at the end of the street make a right turn and you're on the GQ where you can merge left.
If you miss this, going straight will take you through Wallajah town and at the end of the town, road curves to right and merges with GQ again.
These routes will take you to the Wallajah toll directly just before the Arya Bhavan hotel.
I'm sorry, but with all due respect how is driving through a "narrow street that goes through some shops and houses and at the end of the street" any easier than just turning right at Palamaner and proceed a bit further and join the GQ? unless of course the road from Palamaner to Pallikonda is outrageously bad and undrivable which i presume it isn't.

But yes, it will cost 70 odd bucks at Pallikonda toll which can be avoided driving through Chittoor to Wallajah but isn't 70 bucks worth paying for avoiding the two lane roads and opting for the safer six lane ones?
Old 1st April 2015, 12:50   #1931
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, but with all due respect how is driving through a "narrow street that goes through some shops and houses and at the end of the street" any easier than just turning right at Palamaner and proceed a bit further and join the GQ?
Purely from my experience, it is a short street and I've never encountered any traffic jams/mess here, in and out in 5 minutes - your call to do this or the Palamaner route
In fact I did this in the past to avoid Walajah that has a wider road but too much town traffic and is about 3-5 Km more than the one I just explained.

Last edited by NPV : 1st April 2015 at 12:51.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 17:15   #1932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry, but with all due respect how is driving through a "narrow street that goes through some shops and houses and at the end of the street" any easier than just turning right at Palamaner and proceed a bit further and join the GQ? unless of course the road from Palamaner to Pallikonda is outrageously bad and undrivable which i presume it isn't.
No it isn't, but it does go through Gudiyattam town which is pretty much a "narrow street that goes through some shops and houses" and so on. Plus a couple of un-signalled, free-for-all junctions and a railway gate.

The Palamneru-Gudiyattam road is much narrower (barely space for two cars at sections), not very lonely (several villages with un-helmeted bikers and overloaded three-wheelers) and the AP-TN border is slightly more crowded than the one between Chittoor and Ranipet (where these is adequate parking for trucks).
Old 1st April 2015, 22:36   #1933
BHPian

^^+1. To top it, the road surface is excellent from Chittoor all the way till the GQ. But if you drive through during peak hours, it might be better off with Gudiyatham as it gets very congested in Chittoor.
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:09   #1934
BHPian

Leaving tomorrow morning for Salem at 6 am from Bangalore. Any idea of the wait time at Attibele toll on NH7 that can be expected given it is a long weekend?
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:51   #1935
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercharlie View Post
Leaving tomorrow morning for Salem at 6 am from Bangalore. Any idea of the wait time at Attibele toll on NH7 that can be expected given it is a long weekend?
15-30 minutes maybe ? The answer to that question is simply going to be speculative
If you can, please start by 5am, it should be better.
If you intend driving beyond Salem, I would say make it 4 or 4.30am so that you can cross the town peacefully. 8am onwards, the highway ("bypass") around Salem is chock-a-block

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks