Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 16:33   #1966
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Do drive with caution especially at nights. Bangalore seems to be getting heavy rainfall post 8pm.
I think the problem is more for folks heading out of Bangalore. Thats because that side is the one which has more diversions. And there has been quite some water logging on that side. And so when some one drives fast into the water without realizing this, he can directly get into the pool and hence quite a possibility of water stalling the over all motion (engine or otherwise)

Last edited by ampere : 18th April 2015 at 16:35.
Old 18th April 2015, 21:32   #1967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Egmore - Mount road - Guindy - Tambaram - Chengalpet. With a 10 am start plan for 2.5 hrs. If possible take the suburban train.
I took Egmore-Koyambedu-Porur-Bypass-Chengalpet route and it was ok after Koyambedu. Would like to try alternate routes next week, if faster than above.
Old 19th April 2015, 15:19   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Toll fares are revised starting tomorrow.
I think hike is expected in following toll booths between Bangalore-Madras
Krishnagiri,
Vaniyambadi,
Pallikonda,
Chennasamudram,
Sriperumbudur
Quote:
The sad part is, i guess the overall increase will be close to 50 bucks :(
Yes, the toll on the Krishnagiri route has been revised.
Thankfully it's only gone up by Rs.5 at 2 toll booths - Vaniyambadi & Chennasamudram.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-bng_che_toll_19april.png

Sad part though is the section from Chennasamudram to Chennai, which had been recently relaid, is already falling apart
Old 20th April 2015, 06:41   #1969
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Sad part though is the section from Chennasamudram to Chennai, which had been recently relaid, is already falling apart
If you are heading into south Chennai, dont pay the last toll. After Walaja, take Oragadam or Manimangalam exit at Sriperumbudur to drive to Tambaram. Works much better.
Old 20th April 2015, 07:05   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Yes, the toll on the Krishnagiri route has been revised.
Thankfully it's only gone up by Rs.5 at 2 toll booths - Vaniyambadi & Chennasamudram.

Attachment 1362329

As per your table, Krishnagiri toll plaza rate is Rs 60 and supposed to be revised. But to the best of my knowledge it is still the same old value.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:00   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think the problem is more for folks heading out of Bangalore. Thats because that side is the one which has more diversions. And there has been quite some water logging on that side. And so when some one drives fast into the water without realizing this, he can directly get into the pool and hence quite a possibility of water stalling the over all motion (engine or otherwise)
All the diversions have been taken away now that all the flyovers are ready. The only real confusing bit is Krishnagiri flyover as the exit to Chennai highway is really small and goes unnoticeable. They need a larger signboard there.

In heavy rains, our "smart" highway builders have constructed drain outlets for the planters in the divider, in heavy rain the water drains out on the highway and there are streams of puddles flowing across the highway. When driven past these streams at speeds over 80km/hr the car does get unsettled. Even with a AWD vehicle. Also water seems to stagnate on the fast lane right at the edge that meets the divider. Bad construction really and cant see any other reason.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:19   #1972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
All the diversions have been taken away now that all the flyovers are ready. The only real confusing bit is Krishnagiri flyover as the exit to Chennai highway is really small and goes unnoticeable. They need a larger signboard there.
Very true. Even I missed it and had to be on Salem highway for some distance before I could take a U.

Quote:
In heavy rains, our "smart" highway builders have constructed drain outlets for the planters in the divider, in heavy rain the water drains out on the highway and there are streams of puddles flowing across the highway. When driven past these streams at speeds over 80km/hr the car does get unsettled. Even with a AWD vehicle. Also water seems to stagnate on the fast lane right at the edge that meets the divider. Bad construction really and cant see any other reason.
+1 Thats very crux of the problem. And the issue is many do not anticipate/expect this problem and hence end up into this puddle at a very high speed. I personally saw a Punto zoom past me and then standing in the puddle unable to do anything but the put on the blinkers. And also saw an Indica crashing on to the side (I think thanks to the same problem). There were also a couple of cars on the side lane with steam/smoke. I think they tried to accelerate out of this problem, but barely were able to manage. Quite scary indeed.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:34   #1973
BHPian

I was driving to bangalore from chennai on the GQ on friday evening and faced heavy rainfall after vellore. The small bridge that runs alongside the railway track after ambur proved to be extremely unsafe as it had stagnated a lot of rain water, a mahindra armada driving ahead of me hit the huge water patch at 70kmph and aquaplanned violently, sliding and turning almost 90 degress to the left and rubbed the side wall, luckily the stagnated water, slowed down the huge car quite rapidly and saved it from being a pile of junk. I was following it at a safe distance and quickly slowed down, also my cars 195 width tyres saved me from swerving too much. The visual drama though left me severely shocked throught the rest of the journey. what was surprising is that, nobody would expect to see so much stagnated water all of a sudden on the highway, and it surely is a death trap expecially in the nights. My cars osram nightbreaker were also useless on the wet roads. Please watch out for such patches of water stagnations on GQ. totally unsafe.
baddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 12:03   #1974
Senior - BHPian

Ate at this place just before the wallajahpet toll - they also have another location between vaniyambadi and ambur

http://saisangeet.com/

The food is excellent - though expensive compared to other highway places. One variety of special (as in made with ragi, millet etc) koozhu (gruel) and dosa every day. I had the ragi koozhu which was served with chopped onions, pearl onions and two different kinds of pickle, in a mud pot. Very tasty and filling - yet light enough that you don't fall asleep on the drive. My family demolished quite a lot of dosa, pongal, fresh fruit juices etc.

All "organic" - very ethnic type decor, a store selling organic foods, some lovely religious pictures (I got a beautiful one for under rs 500) etc.

This is several cuts above the adyar ananda bhavan / xyz bhavan type places on this route. I am sure their branch near ambur is that way too.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 14:58   #1975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This is several cuts above the adyar ananda bhavan / xyz bhavan type places on this route. I am sure their branch near ambur is that way too.
The Ambur one is exactly the same as you mentioned. It helps the guys coming from Bangalore as its on their side of the 4-lane. The only thing to note here is that one needs to drive for about 150km to arrive here. It takes about 2 to 2.5 hours from Bangalore depending how the traffic at Hosur/Krishnagiri has been. But all said and done, I have already shifted priorities to this place long before! The best part, you avoid the busy NH7 highway and filter the outgoing KL bound traffic. In effect only the Chennai bound crowd here.

And last but not least, I was once here at 6:30 in the morning and they had every thing available! So all in all a pefect break point for a 4AM start from Bangalore. They have nicely chosen the location.

Last edited by ampere : 5th May 2015 at 14:59.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 20:19   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And for Kids to have a look and enjoy, they have some exotic birds on the basement. And a small shopping place which is part of the hotel.
Old 6th May 2015, 00:34   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Anyone recently drove in the Mulbagal-Venkatagirikota-Gudiyattam route OR Palamaner-Gudiyattam route and update on road conditions ?

Am planning to try one of the when i drive down to Madras next week.

-Ravi
Old 6th May 2015, 06:43   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Anyone recently drove in the Mulbagal-Venkatagirikota-Gudiyattam route OR Palamaner-Gudiyattam route and update on road conditions ?

Am planning to try one of the when i drive down to Madras next week.

-Ravi
Ravi, As you are aware i had been on the Palamaneer-Gudiyattam stretch last month for my onward journey to chennai. Roads are in good shape.Infact once you enter TN, the roads are even better.
From Gudiyattam, I took the road to katpadi to avoid paying toll at Pallikonda
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 00:10   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably the most suitable place to post this. Have a Chennai trip coming up. Someone has told my wife that the area around Ambur is famous for leather goods like footwear and handbags. Any truth in this? If so any recommendations?
Old 13th May 2015, 00:23   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Probably the most suitable place to post this. Have a Chennai trip coming up. Someone has told my wife that the area around Ambur is famous for leather goods like footwear and handbags. Any truth in this? If so any recommendations?
Ambur and Vaniyambadi being home to leather manufacturing, it is prudent to assume so!! But I'm yet to see or hear about any famous retailers. It could be that it is just a procurement town for wholesalers.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks