Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 12:13   #2161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Just drove back from Madras to Bangalore yesterday. Started at 1 pm in T.Nagar and reached Bangalore C.V.Raman Nagar at 7 pm. Thanks to FASTag which helped to save lot of time in Tolls, though not as perfectly as it should be.

Was raining non-stop all throughout. So took more time than usual timings.

Road conditions are horrible between Chennasamudram toll till Poonamalle in both ways. Very dangerous for 2 wheelers and the potholes are big enough to damage the cars. Wheel Alignment is must after a Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore drive. God save this stretch until the 6L work completes with better roads. Don't even pay a penny toll for the worst reads. Need strong objections and fighting, but sadly even a PIL case in Madras High court didn't help !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 12:55   #2162
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Thanks to FASTag which helped to save lot of time in Tolls
Could you please enlighten me of the procedure and details [like point of sale] of getting a FASTag for my XUV 500? Since I drive Bangalore<>Chennai during nights, I am unable to get it so far. Either ICICI or Axis Bank in either Bangalore or Chennai will be convenient for me.

Old 16th November 2015, 13:22   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Could you please enlighten me of the procedure and details [like point of sale] of getting a FASTag for my XUV 500? Since I drive Bangalore<>Chennai during nights, I am unable to get it so far. Either ICICI or Axis Bank in either Bangalore or Chennai will be convenient for me.
Hi Ravi,

Please go through this thread and post #112 by fellow BHPian on getting a FASTag in Bangalore. All the best.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 13:48   #2164
BHPian

Thanks suresh_gs and ampere.
Started today morning around 6:00 with some doubts though we had some doubts in mind. We were able to reach Manapakkam by 12:30. There were some water logging as we were nearing or entering Chennai. But if it rains for some more time today/tomorrow, then there will be some issues.
Old 17th November 2015, 10:04   #2165
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any updates for today on the road conditions especially vellore-chennai stretch?
I might have to travel to Chennai tomorrow morning to bring my parents.
Old 17th November 2015, 11:46   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Any updates for today on the road conditions especially vellore-chennai stretch?
I might have to travel to Chennai tomorrow morning to bring my parents.
Vellore to Ranipet is good.
Ranipet to Madras is very bad.

I just drove back on sunday and it would have become more worse in last 2 days.

-Ravi
Old 17th November 2015, 12:24   #2167
BHPian

Quote:
Vellore to Ranipet is good.
Ranipet to Madras is very bad.

I just drove back on sunday and it would have become more worse in last 2 days.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi.

Bad roads are OK. I can manage. More worried about some lake/stream overflow blocking the roads.

Last edited by m8002? : 17th November 2015 at 12:24. Reason: typo
Old 17th November 2015, 13:15   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Thanks Ravi.

Bad roads are OK. I can manage. More worried about some lake/stream overflow blocking the roads.
There are no lake/stream overflowing however watch out for 3 things.

1) Big potholes where water is stagnant. You can't make out that easily.
2) On high speed right most lane near to median, there will be water pool stagnant so in high speeds you may aqua glide and you will lose control.
3) Plus water splashing onto your windshield from opposite side high speed lane completely blinding your visibility.

Don't drive in left most lane to avoid pot holes, because they have dug up the roads for 6L widening work and kept sand bags which are highly dangerous especially in dark. Budget for 2 to 2.5 hours from Ranipet till Madras for 110 kms.

So reduce your speed drastically and drive safe. I hope you have ABS in your car.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 14:31   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
There are no lake/stream overflowing however watch out for 3 things.

1) Big potholes where water is stagnant. You can't make out that easily.
2) On high speed right most lane near to median, there will be water pool stagnant so in high speeds you may aqua glide and you will lose control.
3) Plus water splashing onto your windshield from opposite side high speed lane completely blinding your visibility.

Don't drive in left most lane to avoid pot holes, because they have dug up the roads for 6L widening work and kept sand bags which are highly dangerous especially in dark. Budget for 2 to 2.5 hours from Ranipet till Madras for 110 kms.

So reduce your speed drastically and drive safe. I hope you have ABS in your car.

-Ravi
After much deliberation, they decided to take the train since the rains have stopped.
Old 21st November 2015, 11:22   #2170
BHPian

I am thinking of driving Bangalore Chennai tomorrow (Nov 22). I have just read what RaviB posted w.r.t. last Sunday (thank you Ravi) and I was wondering if anyone has a more recent update.

I am looking for the following info on the specific stretch of Ranipet-Poonamallee-Porur-Kathipara-Guindy-Saidapet-Nandanam:

1. Water-logging
2. Road Surface (considering Ranipet-Poonamallee has always been bad, has it become much worse now or is it still the same)
3. Traffic

I am only going there to attend a wedding, so it's not super-important that I HAVE to be there. Therefore, if you would recommend that I avoid the trip, that's also OK.

I am driving a Jetta (ground clearance), in case that helps you make better recommendations.

Thanks and cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 16:36   #2171
BHPian

Just reached Chennai Anna Nagar at 12.15pm after leaving Bengaluru at 6.30am; there is practically no road after Ranipet, just potholes of various shapes, depths and sizes. It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Sriperumpudur to Anna Nagar about 30 km(?) Rains are on and off in Chennai, the roads are in terrible shape; yes you won't miss Bengaluru. With the lousy experience of FastTag (only 4 out of 7 worked, 2 manual with all in the FastTag lane)...not a great time to be here. Then this is unavoidable trip. Cheers
Old 21st November 2015, 19:00   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Just reached Chennai Anna Nagar at 12.15pm after leaving Bengaluru at 6.30am; there is practically no road after Ranipet, just potholes of various shapes, depths and sizes. It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Sriperumpudur to Anna Nagar about 30 km(?) Rains are on and off in Chennai, the roads are in terrible shape; yes you won't miss Bengaluru. With the lousy experience of FastTag (only 4 out of 7 worked, 2 manual with all in the FastTag lane)...not a great time to be here. Then this is unavoidable trip. Cheers
Thats very true. I usually cover Chennasamudram Toll to Sriperumbudur Toll in 1 hour, but given the worst road conditions now, time increases drastically. Sriperumbudur to Madras is as good as driving in city traffic !
Not to mention about the Sand shower from trucks, and that too when mixed with rains/drizzle, sufficient enough to damage the windshield with scratches.

I wish when they construct the new left most lane in the stretch, let them dedicate it only for trucks & 2 wheelers and no other vehicles should be allowed. Let it be a dedicated separated service lane. That may help other vehicles a bit.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st November 2015 at 19:14.
Old 21st November 2015, 21:39   #2173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wish when they construct the new left most lane in the stretch, let them dedicate it only for trucks & 2 wheelers and no other vehicles should be allowed. Let it be a dedicated separated service lane. That may help other vehicles a bit.
If its not raining and if you are to reach South Chennai, I consistently see 1 hour time still to destination by taking the SH to Tambaram. It works quite well, when heading toward Chennai. But yes the SH has many blind turns and a lot population. But still it works and timings have been consistent.

PS: I never take this on return. As I always decide a non-peak hour traffic time for return.
Old 21st November 2015, 22:04   #2174
Senior - BHPian

As of today, i think the best alternate to avoid the Ranipet-Sriperumbudur bad stretch is to go via Chittoor-Nagari-Tiruttani-Tiruvallur and join Poonamalle where road conditions are far better.

https://goo.gl/maps/7VPABLPKwXS2

This would be my route when the 6L work actively starts in full swing.

-Ravi
Old 21st November 2015, 22:27   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Options to avoid Ranipet-Sriperumbudur route would be via Chittoor, Pallipettu, Nagari, Tirutanni and Tiruvallur. The other option would be via Chittoor, Sholinghur, Tirutanni and Tiruvallur. I have driven on the former route before. Very good roads all the way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks