Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 11:14   #2221
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Folks from chennai- need an advice:

I am planning to visit chennai on 24th Dec to visit by BIL. He did mention that most places in chennai the water has receded now. I wanted to know the condition of roads enroute after the aftermath of the recent floods. Also is there any report of water borne diseases- I thought this was one of the major worries when the water recedes...

Considering that I will travelling with an infant I am little worried... Any suggestions or things to be worried ? I am wondering if should I postpone my trip.

Thanks in advance.
Did Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore yesterday. As everyone else have already said, The road condition after Chennasamudram toll is pathetic. There are not just potholes, the trucks & buses swerve left right to negotiate potholes at will without caring a damn about whose on their sides. The potholes are pretty huge and at some places capable enough to break the axle if taken at high speeds without noticing.

I was just not ready to hurt my car and occupants more, hence drove through kanchipuram - walajabad - oragadam - vandalur, and it was a very wise decision. roads are way better, only sour thing is to cross the kanchipuram traffic, the traffic and road sense of bangalore would be put to shame, it was of a different level . After bearing this for 10 odd kms, remaining is a blissful drive, once you reach walajabad junction , take a left to get onto walajabad - oragadam - vandalur highway, till vandalur it is 4 way lane with minimum traffic with very rare bad patches. Note that, google maps will show alternate routes to bypass kanchhipuram traffic, but stick to the road within the city as I do not know the internal village road conditions.

Took the same route on the way back too, from kanchipuram to Chennasamudram , the potholes/patches were being tarred, so was better than the drive towards chennai
If you can deal with traffic, I would suggest the route I took since you are having an infant with you.
karts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 13:01   #2222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
Did Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore yesterday. As everyone else have already said, The road condition after Chennasamudram toll is pathetic. There are not just potholes, the trucks & buses swerve left right to negotiate potholes at will without caring a damn about whose on their sides. The potholes are pretty huge and at some places capable enough to break the axle if taken at high speeds without noticing.
I went to Chennai over the weekend and will again be travelling to Chennai from Bangalore tomorrow evening. As you said the stretch from Chennasamudram toll till kanchipuram bypass was pathetic. But comparing the condition of the roads a week or 2 before I would say they at least covered some of the big pot holes. But that doesn't mean that there are no big potholes. There are still plentiful and as you said can break your axle if driven unnoticed.

The Kanchipuram - Wallajabad - Oragadam - Vandalur stretch would be a good one for those staying around Tambaram, Velachery, Besant Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur, Chrompet and Vandalur. For people like me going to West or Central part of Chennai (like T.Nagar, Numgambakkam, Porur, etc,.), this route would be pretty long and tedious. Not to forget the crawl through Chennai traffic (which has become worse than Bangalore due to the road conditions after the rains) to reach these places through the above route. So depending on the destination in Chennai one has to decide.

But as I said for those staying around Tambaram, Velachery, Besant Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur, Chrompet and Vandalur; this route would be an awesome one.

Anyone planning to go to Chennai tomorrow evening?
jasonbourne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:33   #2223
BHPian

Thanks @mpsukhas, @hserus and @karts. I will be travelling to guindy so will try this detour via Kanchipuram.

Last edited by smekad : 22nd December 2015 at 15:35. Reason: jason answered my query.
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:01   #2224
Senior - BHPian

Hi - after Vandalur where exactly do you turn off the GST road to reach the vellore krishnagiri etc route?
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:04   #2225
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hi - after Vandalur where exactly do you turn off the GST road to reach the vellore krishnagiri etc route?
After Shriram IT Gateway [formerly Standard Motors], drive keeping left, take the up ramp for Padappai/Walajabad, go around the rotary above NH 45, cross the railway line, drive to Padappai>Walajabad>Kanchipuram>NH 4>Vellore>Krishnagiri. Many years back, I used to drive on this road, when NH 4 was widened from 2 lanes to 4 lanes! See here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 22nd December 2015 at 17:10.
  (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:01   #2226
BHPian

We are planning to go this weekend to chennai. My in laws house is at T nagar. Any route suggestions ? Also how's the situation at chennai, health wise? I will be taking my 1 year old. Any precautions to be taken?
Old 22nd December 2015, 19:08   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
We are planning to go this weekend to chennai. My in laws house is at T nagar. Any route suggestions ? Also how's the situation at chennai, health wise? I will be taking my 1 year old. Any precautions to be taken?
For T. Nagar you can proceed with the normal route. But from Chennasamudram toll till kanchipuram drive slowly and carefully. You can also take this route via Manimangalam and Perungulathur after crossing Sriperumbadur. Route

I came via this route on Sunday. Seems good at most of the places.

Make sure you take mosquito repellent cream for your baby. Even though water has receded, in some places water stagnation is there and lots of mosquitos. My Sister stays in Besant Nagar. In their area due to water stagnation number of mosquitos were on the rise. My Niece and Nephew have got some rashes on their skin due to the mosquito bites.

Last edited by jasonbourne : 22nd December 2015 at 19:17.
Old 23rd December 2015, 06:49   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
For T. Nagar you can proceed with the normal route. But from Chennasamudram toll till kanchipuram drive slowly and carefully. You can also take this route via Manimangalam and Perungulathur after crossing Sriperumbadur. Route

I came via this route on Sunday. Seems good at most of the places.

Make sure you take mosquito repellent cream for your baby. Even though water has receded, in some places water stagnation is there and lots of mosquitos. My Sister stays in Besant Nagar. In their area due to water stagnation number of mosquitos were on the rise. My Niece and Nephew have got some rashes on their skin due to the mosquito bites.
Thanks a lot for the reply!! I will follow the normal route. How much time did it take for you overall from Bangalore to Chennai? I will be driving in a Tata Nano. I have already did Bangalore to Salem once in Nano, hence confident of this chennai trip. Also any idea on Tolls? Approximately how much should i shell out for one way?
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:42   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the reply!! I will follow the normal route. How much time did it take for you overall from Bangalore to Chennai? I will be driving in a Tata Nano. I have already did Bangalore to Salem once in Nano, hence confident of this chennai trip. Also any idea on Tolls? Approximately how much should i shell out for one way?
You are welcome Sai. It took me 5 Hrs from Bangalore to Chennai with one coffee break. Since you are driving a Nano it might take upto 6 Hrs. Also you have a 1 year old baby so probably might take 2 - 3 breaks. Considering the break timings, you should reach within 6 - 6.5 Hrs. This depends on the time you are starting from Bangalore and the time you are reaching poonamalle. After 4:45 PM there will be a lot of college buses plying just before queensland amusement park. So plan accordingly. make sure you cross that place before 4:30. If you are going to start in the evening from Bangalore you will have to maneuver traffic only till hosur since by the time you reach Chennai it will be night and the traffic will be considerably less.

Toll Charges: Single Way
Elevated road from Silk board to E.City (if you are coming Via silk board) = Rs. 45
Attibele = Rs. 25
Krishnagiri = Rs. 60
Vaniyambadi = Rs. 75
Pallikonda = Rs. 75
Chennasamudram = Rs. 45
Sriperumbadhur = Rs. 40 (this toll will not apply if you take the manimangalm route)

Total Toll = Rs. 365 (including elevated road and sriperumbadhur)

Last edited by jasonbourne : 23rd December 2015 at 09:49.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:20   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
You are welcome Sai. It took me 5 Hrs from Bangalore to Chennai with one coffee break. Since you are driving a Nano it might take upto 6 Hrs. Also you have a 1 year old baby so probably might take 2 - 3 breaks. Considering the break timings, you should reach within 6 - 6.5 Hrs. This depends on the time you are starting from Bangalore and the time you are reaching poonamalle. After 4:45 PM there will be a lot of college buses plying just before queensland amusement park. So plan accordingly. make sure you cross that place before 4:30. .

That helps me a lot ! thanks again Jason!! I will start around 8am on 27th - Sunday. I think traffic should be moderate. I did a Bangalore to Salem trip and I covered 200kms in 3 hours including breaks. Hence I feel I should cover in 6 hours easily, considering my kid is well. He slept off during our salem trip
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:09   #2231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Via Hosur

Name:  via Hosur.PNG
Views: 850
Size:  77.8 KB
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:36   #2232
BHPian

Hello Bhpians - am planning to travel to Chennai from Bangalore (whitefield) tomorrow (24th) morning. Would like your suggestions on a good time to start. Do you think there could be a lot of traffic tomorrow? Would 6 AM be good enough or should I start earlier to avoid the queues at the toll gates? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:57   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Hello Bhpians - am planning to travel to Chennai from Bangalore (whitefield) tomorrow (24th) morning. Would like your suggestions on a good time to start. Do you think there could be a lot of traffic tomorrow? Would 6 AM be good enough or should I start earlier to avoid the queues at the toll gates? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Stick to Old Madras Road as you stay in Whitefield. Once you cross K R Puram, the road is relatively free unlike the Hosur road. 6 AM is perfect time to leave.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:25   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Stick to Old Madras Road as you stay in Whitefield. Once you cross K R Puram, the road is relatively free unlike the Hosur road. 6 AM is perfect time to leave.

Thanks.. I typically go via ITPL / Varthur and hit Attibele without going to Silk board / Electronic city flyover.

At Attibele is where I got stuck once during a long weekend and for every other toll gate. Am hoping most folks will not travel tomorrow morning as it is a working day!! <fingers crossed>
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:49   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Thanks.. I typically go via ITPL / Varthur and hit Attibele without going to Silk board / Electronic city flyover.

At Attibele is where I got stuck once during a long weekend and for every other toll gate. Am hoping most folks will not travel tomorrow morning as it is a working day!! <fingers crossed>
There could be good chances for fog till 6.30 am or 7 am. So drive carefully, particularly after you cross KA border.

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks