Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 10:06   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you discount the toll booth times, the other place where time gets lost is the state-border where you get caught in a torrent of trucks.
So perhaps it works out better if one were to use the less-crowded interstate borders instead of the main one at Attibele-Hosur? Like the one near the TVS factory or between Sarjapur and Bagalur?
Old 28th March 2016, 10:26   #2312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
So perhaps it works out better if one were to use the less-crowded interstate borders instead of the main one at Attibele-Hosur? Like the one near the TVS factory or between Sarjapur and Bagalur?
I think it definitely would help. But yes, the only point I am wary about is how much it would be to balance out the time taken to get back to the main highway. During day I think surely Baglur route to Hosur would help.

With regards to the state border:

I think there is an initial build-up for the morning hour for the incoming traffic where both buses and trucks just hog the road. At what point in time this eases I dont know.

As regards to exit (from KA to TN), between 5AM-6AM I see most of these trucks slowly raring to start. I also vaguely remember seeing constant pile of traffic at the border all during the day, but not as high as during the morning hour. (Would love to hear more from others on this).

But is the state border alone the reason to look at alternatives as of today? Well am not sure on that. But for a reason to beat Attibelle toll and state border, the rewards are compelling enough!
Old 28th March 2016, 14:44   #2313
Distinguished - BHPian

Going towards south from Elecronic City side, I always prefer 4:00 AM or an earlier start. This helps to get a quick pass at Attibele toll, KA-TN border and most of times Krishnagiri toll as well. However from my experience, Krishnagiri toll is little unpredictable, because these guys have the practice of closing few lanes as per their wish.

Starting 5:00/5:30 or later means, you not only get stuck at tolls but even the breakfast stop will be crowded, especially during Weekends or Long weekends.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 15:11   #2314
BHPian

Agree with Arun here, especially on long weekends. I try to start by 04:00 AM take the Bagalur stretch to completely avoid Attibele toll and the trucks parked before/after the first AL factory in Hosur.

But Krishnagiri toll is manageable if you cross before 6 AM. While on return, you have to defenitely earmark a minimum of 1 hour for Krishnagiri toll, if you start from chennai after noon.

Couple of instances have also faced the situation of starting from Bangalore 06:00 AM and found the HP COCO and BP COCO and other new hotels completely full. Had to get into Krishnagiri town to find a hotel and it turned out to be damp squib.

While I am typing this, I am staring at yet another long weekend, which is going to be the last till Mid of July (no long weekend in rest of April, May and June).
Old 28th March 2016, 17:11   #2315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Starting 5:00/5:30 or later means, you not only get stuck at tolls but even the breakfast stop will be crowded, especially during Weekends or Long weekends.
The breakfast part typically can be avoided by slurging at Park/GRT. Another way is to be as far from Bangalore as possible. Also note, if you a traveling towards Coimbattore, A2B/Saravana Bhavan tend to be full even after Salem. So you need to plan accordingly (That may not be the Bangalore crowd alone).
Old 30th March 2016, 19:59   #2316
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone know what are they constructing here? This is at Krishnagiri toll booth
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-img_20160325_180213.jpg
Old 30th March 2016, 20:31   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Hopefully more toll collection points. It is one of the most, if not the most crowded toll booths in south India.
Old 30th March 2016, 20:34   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
How is the current road condition on the stretch Sriperumbudur - Mudichur - Tambaram?
I work at sriperumbudur and had been using mudichur manimamgalam route for traveling to the southern suburbs of Chennai. During late 2014 and early 2015 this stretch was smooth and congestion free. Since, late 2015 the stretch from Sriperumbudur to Manimamgalam is riddled with mindless speed breakers, stray cattle, underground water pipeline work has also reduced the barely two lane road into a one Lane road.
If you decide to opt for this route I guess the best time will be anytime during natural light hours and strictly not advisable post 6 pm. Moreover, just before gaining entry to Mudichur, the road is also in horrible shape.
Having mentioned all the aspects taking this route will surely take less time as compared to the normal NH 4 via thandalam and in turn you will be able to save Rs 45 as toll charges will not be applicable.
Hope this add values to the existing information already provide by the bhpians.
Old 30th March 2016, 20:50   #2319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Hopefully more toll collection points. It is one of the most, if not the most crowded toll booths in south India.
Earlier I too was thinking the same, however last week noticed that they are just digging before and after existing toll booths. So I guess it's not for new booths
Old 30th March 2016, 22:58   #2320
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Earlier I too was thinking the same, however last week noticed that they are just digging before and after existing toll booths. So I guess it's not for new booths
Are they just extending the lane dividers ? This toll plaza sees a lot of confusion with vehicles switching and cutting into lanes mindlessly.
Old 30th March 2016, 23:00   #2321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Are they just extending the lane dividers ? This toll plaza sees a lot of confusion with vehicles switching and cutting into lanes mindlessly.
If so it's a good move. However, there was lanes whjch were dug up across too. If you see the lane on right you can notice the same.
Was not able to make out what they were up to
Old 30th March 2016, 23:09   #2322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could be for the Electronic Toll Collection?
Old 4th April 2016, 20:13   #2323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Could be for the Electronic Toll Collection?
Don't think so since there is already a FastTag counter there, infact I am waiting in queue in the same lane.

Had travelled to Chennai 3 times in last couple of months. Roads are patched up after Walajpet towards Chennai, however it is still not smooth or worth the toll one pays.

Also, repeatedly noticed suicidal bikers coming in wrong side just before Arcot bridge while traveling from Chennai towards Vellore.

Here is the video of the same captured in my dash cam.

Also, during Easter weekend came across a truck which caught fire around 15 Kms before Krishnagiri while coming from Chennai. Not sure what caused the fire, called up toll booth helpline and they informed highway patrol was already on way. Did not stop for checking out the details after that.

Old 14th April 2016, 19:16   #2324
BHPian

This is my first time to Chennai from Bangalore. Based on current conditions, which route is the safest and most comfortable - via Chittoor or via Krishnagiri?

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th April 2016, 19:40   #2325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
This is my first time to Chennai from Bangalore.
In this case, without a doubt Krishnagiri route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks