Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2017, 16:02   #2626
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Has anyone traveled on the Chittoor-Sholinghur-Arakkonam-Thakkolam-Nemili-Sriperumbudur strecth in the recent past ?
If so how are the road conditions for the entire stretch?
Quote:
This is regarding the image shown below.

Attachment 1618151
I took this route once in November last year while returning from Bangalore to Chennai. My Intention of taking this route was to avoid the bad stretch on NH48 between Ranipet and Sriperumbudur. Though I am not aware of the latest condition, below are few of my observations.
  • Roads were in decent condition with sparse traffic
  • Very scenic route which goes through lots of greenery
  • There are no proper roadsigns, so you have rely on maps or locals
  • If you are driving from Bangalore, you have to drive through Chittor town, which could slow you down during peak traffic hours
  • This route has few narrow stretches and turns which should be taken carefully
  • Many unmarked and hard to spot speed bumps made of varying heights
  • Almost Nil food or stay options and safety could be an issue in case of any breakdowns
  • Mostly goes through small villages, so be aware of cattle and two wheeler riders
  • Traffic density is high once you reach the Sriperumbudur - Tiruvallur road

Overall, I would suggest to take this route for nothing more than a leisurely drive and it does not add any major advantages over traditional Chittor - Vellore/Ranipet - Sriperumbudur route.
Makin Rulesz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 12:15   #2627
BHPian

Re: AS Babu Sah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Depending on where in JP Nagar you stay, take the Kanakapura Road or Bannerghatta Road entry to NICE Road
I stay right in the middle of 15th Cross Ring Road, JP Nagar(Opp. to Brewsky Bar). I have to figure out about B'ghatta road Or K'pura Road for NICE entry.
Old 14th March 2017, 13:02   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I stay right in the middle of 15th Cross Ring Road, JP Nagar(Opp. to Brewsky Bar). I have to figure out about B'ghatta road Or K'pura Road for NICE entry.
You can come to Mandovi circle from your location (this after Delmia circle) and take right to join bannerghatta road, drive 6-7 kms on this road and you will reach NICE road entry. Take the entry towards Hosur, this will be on the right side.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 13:10   #2629
BHPian

Quote:
From where you stay, Bannerghatta road access to NICE is best - cheaper and quicker.
Mnjdnght is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 18:27   #2630
BHPian

Re: HP Fuel Pumps on NH46?

Any 24 hour HP fuel pumps on B'lore - Chennai - B'lore route?
Old 14th March 2017, 19:20   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are several - so many that I didn't see any point in noting down specific ones when I did an overnighter early in Feb. This particular highway doesn't sleep.

In any case most cars would be able to cover the distance with a full tank from origin, no?

Edit: Missed the HP part, but I do believe all PSU retailers have many pumps along this route. Reliance has 2 or 3, but don't think there are any Shell or Essar. IOCL is the most common one.

Last edited by binand : 14th March 2017 at 19:22.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 19:30   #2632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Shoolagiri has HP COCO with McD
2. Further after K'giri before Oppathavadi
3. Salem town (have to get down from bridge) & take opposite side, HPCL

Anything specific about HP? Reason to ask there's an average of 1 fuel station for every 7-8 odd Km provided you don't differentiate between Reliance, IOL, BPCL & HP
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 19:35   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Anything specific about HP? Reason to ask there's an average of 1 fuel station for every 7-8 odd Km provided you don't differentiate between Reliance, IOL, BPCL & HP
I have a ICICI HP Co-branded debit card, which entails NO surcharge on transactions. So, have been filling only at HP pumps for years now.
Old 14th March 2017, 19:51   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a ICICI HP Co-branded debit card, which entails NO surcharge on transactions. So, have been filling only at HP pumps for years now.
If your car has a range of 250 odd Km with one full tank, absolutely nothing to worry. Like I said there're plenty other than the 3 of them that I've listed above. I know for sure the Salem & Shoolagiri HP accept credit cards, not sure on the one that's after K'Giri.

PS - Switch to Standard Chartered (unlimited & 2.5% cash back) or Axis (10K per month) which gives you fuel surcharge waiver across any fuel stations in India
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 23:24   #2635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

PS - Switch to Standard Chartered (unlimited & 2.5% cash back) or Axis (10K per month) which gives you fuel surcharge waiver across any fuel stations in India
+1 to aargee
I was about to type the same.
I have been using the SCB card for years and reaping great benefits of cash back.

PS: I have no personal connections on any means with Standard Chartered, but it is indeed useful for common man.

-Ravi
Old 24th March 2017, 23:43   #2636
BHPian

I'm driving(solo) down to Bangalore from Chennai tomorrow morning at 9 am, for a quick business trip. Will be driving back to Chennai tomorrow itself, have just about an hour of work in Bangalore.

In case any BHPian wants a ride(I'm not going to charge anything), do let me know via PM. Even if you just want to spend your Saturday on a highway with some good food along the way, do let me know. If you would like, we can discuss Life, Travel, Escapades, Cars, Bodybuilding, Music, etc.

* Smoking No & Luggage minimum
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 09:30   #2637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Reliance has 2 or 3, but don't think there are any Shell or Essar. IOCL is the most common one.
Shell is available on the poonamallee high road near Iyyapanthangal, and on the Outer Ring Road.

They set up pumps on the highways, but within the city suburbs so that they don't have to survive exclusively on highway traffic.

As others have pointed out Chennai - Bangalore can be done in a single filling with 3 or 4 points remaining showing on your fuel gauge - so 30 to 40% of your tank is available.

I usually tank up at the Shell pump and then continue on my drive.
Old 27th March 2017, 07:03   #2638
Senior - BHPian

BANGALORE TO CHENNAI VIA CHITTOOR, SHOLINGHUR,ARAKKONAM

Folks,

I had been to Chennai on 25th March. I took the route as shown in the below image.

ONWARD JOURNEY ROUTE

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-onward.png
Overall I would say very good to excellent roads enroute with hardly any traffic in the towns. This time I was not too particular about the time frame as to when I would reach my destination at Nanganallur, Chennai.
I left my home at Bommanahalli by 11 45 AM and took 1 hr to cross K R Puram. Near Mulbagal we stopped for lunch at Highway Star. The ambiance of the place is very good and I did see quite a number of vehicles stopping there. Had lunch at Maiyas for close to 45 min and then proceeded.
While travelling on the Palamaner - Chittoor section, I did see mangled remains of quite a number of vehicles. In some cases, a fairly big hoarding showing the body of the deceased with blood was displayed. One cannot escape the attention of the fact that overtaking needs to be done carefully considering the fact that there are twists and turns on this route.

PALAMANER ROAD

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-palamaner-road-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-palamaner-road-2.jpg

After crossing the Tirupati by pass road I proceeded further to enter Chittoor instead of taking the Chittoor by pass road. I must says the main roads in Chittoor are quite broad and devoid of potholes. There was hardly any traffic inside Chittoor.

CHITTOOR ROAD

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-2.jpg

I then proceeded on the road to Sholinghur. Excellent 2 lane road is what I would describe. At the same time one needs to be watchful of speed breakers on this section. Some of them are marked. Infact on more than a couple of occasions i noticed them at the last moment and did not bother to apply sudden brake but rather go over them at the same speed. Of course the height of the speed breakers are not that big as you find in Bangalore.
If the AP section of the Chittoor Sholinghur stretch was very good, the TN section was even better.

CHITTOOR - SHOLINGHUR ROAD (AP SIDE)

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-ap-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-ap-2.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-ap-3.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-ap-4.jpg
suresh_gs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 07:26   #2639
Senior - BHPian

CHITTOOR - SHOLINGHUR ROAD (TN SIDE)

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-tn-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-tn-2.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sholinghur-tn-3.jpg

In Sholinghur, i happened to see the famous Narasimha temple (Part of 108 divya desams) situated on the hillock.

I inquired from the locals as to how to go to Arakkonam. Now this was the best part of my route. Brilliant roads all the way. We have wide 2 lane roads on the Sholinghur Arakkonam stretch.

SHOLINGHUR - ARAKKONAM STRETCH

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-sholinghur-arakkonam-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-sholinghur-arakkonam-2.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-sholinghur-arakkonam-3.jpg

Inside Arakkonam town, the roads are average to say and some repair work was also going on which slowed me to some extent. Next I took the road leading to Thakkolam and Thandalam. Another Brilliant road.

THAKKOLAM THANDALAM ROAD

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-arakkonam-thandalam-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-arakkonam-thandalam-2.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-thandalam-1.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-thandalam-2.jpg

My plan was to go on this stretch till i see the Delphi TVS plant on my left. Then I was to take the right leading to Nemili and Sriperumbudur and then take the Manimangalam route to Nanganallur thereby avoiding paying toll at Sriperumbudur.

But there was some meeting going on the Nemili stretch as a result of which the cop directed me to go further and then take the right turn as shown in the below image.

Name:  ONWARD1.PNG
Views: 3187
Size:  161.0 KB

Now this stretch consumed a lot of time as it is a 2 way road and the broken tarmac complicated matters more. In the hindsight instead of taking a right turn I should have proceeded further till I reached Saveetha University. Finally reached the NH and I ended up paying toll at Sriperumbudur. I then went via Poonamallee by pass, Porur and Kathipara to my destination. The only bottle neck on the NH side was the flyover construction at Porur. I reached Nanganallur by 8 PM.

Even though time wise it was more, I enjoyed going on this stretch. An early morning departure from Bangalore and going via this route would have cut down time some more.
suresh_gs is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2017, 07:54   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BANGALORE TO CHENNAI VIA CHITTOOR, SHOLINGHUR,ARAKKONAM
Thanks for this. I have wanted to take this route but the road quality was always the big unknown (low GC sedan issues). Now that you have confirmed the road has been relaid, I suppose I could take this for my next trip.

Most Viewed