Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 12:25   #2656
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
The plan is to start around 6 PM from Bangalore and reach late night
Leave a little early like 4pm or so spend some extended time at rest stops. This way you'll see little of Bangalore traffic as well. You can take the conventional Poondamalee Bypass-Kattupakkam-Porur-Kathipara-Airport. Beyond 930pm Porur isn't much of a bottleneck.

Its beyond 10pm that is peak time at MAA, pretty much all international flights from the west land/takeoff between 11pm and 6am.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 12:53   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am driving to Chennai from Bangalore next week to catch an early morning flight. The plan is to start around 6 PM from Bangalore and reach late night, so that I could reduce the wait time at the airport. Few questions to friends here on the forum:
1. What is the best route to reach the airport directly from the Bangalore highway?
2. Is there a safe long term parking option at Chennai airport?
3. Any idea if there is a restriction on early entry into the airport since my wait time there would be about 5 hours?
My spider sense tells me you are flying to Port Blair?

1. To reach the airport - the best route would be to go: Sriperumbudur-Poonamallee (avoid the market)-Porur-Kathipara interchange-GST Road-Chennai Airport.

2. I think yes. The airport of late is in a perennial state of construction so things could be altered abruptly though.

3. There are 3-4 domestic flights in the 2 AM to 5 AM window, not to mention all-night international operations. So it is unlikely that there are any entry restrictions.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2017, 13:50   #2658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. What is the best route to reach the airport directly from the Bangalore highway?
Usual NH7 - NH46 - NH4 (Hosur - Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Wallajah - Kanchipuram - Sriperumbudur - Chennai) - Maduravoyal bypass - Porur - Guindy - Airport

Quote:
2. Is there a safe long term parking option at Chennai airport?
Yes, very safe & very expensive is what I hear, not sure on exact charges

Quote:
3. Any idea if there is a restriction on early entry into the airport since my wait time there would be about 5 hours?
None

Other option will be is to drive to Koyambedu bus terminal; park your car there, take metro rail straight into airport. Parking charges will be way too less.

I've parked only based on hourly; so airport is Rs 150 & Koyambedu Rs 20
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2017, 19:33   #2659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
When i went through these towns, traffic was very minimal. Infact in no time i managed to exit these towns. Inside Arakkonam some road repair work was going on as a result of which I took some time to exit Arakkonam
Folks, For the return trip,I took the Mudchur, Manimangalam, Chennasamudram toll plaza, Ranipet, Chittoor by pass and the regular Old Madras Road to Bangalore.
Post Navalur, the roads are not that great. Infact I saw some factory buses going slow to negotiate broken sections of the road
The stretch from Sriperumbudur to Chennasamudram toll plaza is pretty decent. I saw some stretches where the third lane has been laid. Overall i would say it is very much motor-able and many sections have been relaid as well.
The stretch from Ranipet to Chittoor bypass is extremely good on the TN side with broad 2 lane roads and good as well in the AP side. As you near the Chittoor by pass, the top surface of the tarmac has been broken at many places and it requires some zig zag driving to avoid this. By the time I started climbing the Palamaner ghat section, it was almost 7 PM. I took care while overtaking especially around corners. Fortunately lorry traffic was less.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:34   #2660
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a day drip to Kancheepuram later this month - general plan is to start by 4.30 am, reach Kancheepuram and do the shopping and start back by 5.00-6.00 PM.

Since we prefer to eat breakfast really early (preferably around 6.00 AM), where can I stop for breakfast after I pass Krishnagiri? I am open to take chittoor route if the restaurant availability is better on that route.

Alternatively, I can also start by 4.00 AM if I can reach any good places to eat breakfast after travelling for 2 hours.

Please suggest.

--Anoop
Old 4th April 2017, 16:45   #2661
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am planning a day drip to Kancheepuram later this month - general plan is to start by 4.30 am, reach Kancheepuram and do the shopping and start back by 5.00-6.00 PM.
=====
Alternatively, I can also start by 4.00 AM if I can reach any good places to eat breakfast after travelling for 2 hours.
Not sure how many will be open/ready that early. There is a McD after Hosur which is open 24/7. You can try Sai Sangeet after Vaniyambadi. You should reach there around 6:30. Go a bit further, you have many restaurants at Vellore.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th April 2017 at 09:44. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 16:57   #2662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Not sure how many will be open/ready that early. There is a McD after Hosur which is open 24/7. You can try Sai Sangeet after Vaniyambadi. You should reach there around 6:30. Go a bit further, you have many restaurants at Vellore.
Thank you. Is this on the highway itself? Or do I need to go inside Vaniyambadi town?

--Anoop
Old 4th April 2017, 17:02   #2663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Is this on the highway itself? Or do I need to go inside Vaniyambadi town?

--Anoop
Sai Sangeet is right on the highway and it is an excellent place to shop. If you're going to Kanchi for wedding related shopping - check out the gift shop attached to Sai Sangeet for framed god paintings, all sorts of cast iron cookware / clay pottery etc etc. Very very nice value for money, if you want to give gifts to specific guests.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 17:06   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Sai Sangeet is right on the highway and it is an excellent place to shop. If you're going to Kanchi for wedding related shopping - check out the gift shop attached to Sai Sangeet for framed god paintings, all sorts of cast iron cookware / clay pottery etc etc. Very very nice value for money, if you want to give gifts to specific guests.
Thank you. yes - going to Kanchi for wedding related shopping and this tip will sure come handy. I hope they open at least by 6.30 AM

--Anoop
Old 4th April 2017, 17:13   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. yes - going to Kanchi for wedding related shopping and this tip will sure come handy. I hope they open at least by 6.30 AM

--Anoop
They open around 6.30 so you should be ok.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 18:19   #2666
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since we prefer to eat breakfast really early (preferably around 6.00 AM), where can I stop for breakfast after I pass Krishnagiri?
Anoop - earliest we've reached Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi was 6:15am and they only had Idlis, but in about 15 minutes most other items on the menu were available
Last time we traveled to Chennai, Sai Sangeet was not open (since we started at 4am we passed by Sai Sangeet very early), so we stopped at the A2B in Arcot, on the service road, no detour.

With a 4am start we were at Arcot A2B at 7:15am (3hrs 15minutes, ~230Km)

Last edited by NPV : 4th April 2017 at 18:43.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 19:01   #2667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anoop - earliest we've reached Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi was 6:15am and they only had Idlis, but in about 15 minutes most other items on the menu were available
Last time we traveled to Chennai, Sai Sangeet was not open (since we started at 4am we passed by Sai Sangeet very early), so we stopped at the A2B in Arcot, on the service road, no detour.

With a 4am start we were at Arcot A2B at 7:15am (3hrs 15minutes, ~230Km)
Thank you - then I will start by 4.30 so that I can stop at Sai Sangeeth for breakfast. 7:15 is too late for me

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 09:02   #2668
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you - then I will start by 4.30 so that I can stop at Sai Sangeeth for breakfast. 7:15 is too late for me
If you're open to having breakfast at A2B @6:30, it may still be possible considering you will be starting your journey closer to Attibele.
2.5hrs should be enough for you to get to Arcot A2B, so now you have a plan B (of course, if you want to stop at Sai Sangeet only, then go ahead with Plan A).

Last edited by NPV : 5th April 2017 at 09:21.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 07:58   #2669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are just too many of them. You dont even have to worry. Nowadays even the Chennai highway is like a food court like the Mysore road.

Also in the end even if you start very early and dont get to see the hotels open, you can as well go all the way to Kanchi have a good fill! Original Saravana Bhavan, GRT, Sangeetha etc! You name it!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 08:49   #2670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since we prefer to eat breakfast really early (preferably around 6.00 AM), where can I stop for breakfast after I pass Krishnagiri?
Right at Krishnagiri there're super plenty options such as Mangalam, Aishwarya, Murugan or something I remember vaguely. There should be atleast 7-8 of them between Krishnagiri toll to Krishnagiri junction & there're 2 of them right at Krishnagiri junction where it says Chennai 255 Km sign board next to the hospital.

Say you leave by 4:30 or 5:00 AM, its easy for you to reach Krishnagiri junction at 6:00 AM. Alternatively you may also want to try Chola, The Restaurant which is located precise 52 Km from Krishnagiri junction.

Other options include, Hosur A2B, Shoolagiri Krishna Inn, Chinnar A2B, Ambur Arya Bhavan, Arcot A2B, Ranipet Aryaas; basically you can choose the restaurant at the time you leave

Last edited by aargee : 6th April 2017 at 08:52.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed