Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 17:16   #2761
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
I plan to leave chennai by 4AM-5AM so that i can get to Mysore by afternoon . Kindly let me know your views on this ( or if there is a better plan) - Travelling with kids so Chennai-Coorg in 1 day will not work out. TIA
4 am start would mean you will hit NICE road by 9.30-10 am depending on stops. If you plan to drive Bangalore -Mysore road on 12th Aug, then you are in for a rude surprise as its the long weekend and the traffic will be insane. You might be better off taking Kanakpura road and getting to Mysore. The pain is going to be getting to and crossing mysore, after which it shouldnt be a big problem to get to Pollibetta. Here is how I would time things.

Chennai: 4 am start
Bangalore Nice road: 10 am (max)
Kanakpura road:10.30 am (assuming the Nice road toll booth is not jammed. Happened last year and folks spent 2 hours to cross nice toll from EC side)
Kanakpura Road - Mysore ORR: 2 pm
Pollibetta: 4 pm

Edit: You might just be better off taking NICE road all the way to Tumkur road and then going via Kunigal - Bellur Cross - Pandavapura - KRS Road (deterministic 2.5 hrs from NICE road exit at Tumkur road). That would restrict your total drive time to ~11 hours (BLR-CHN 5.5 hrs, NICE road from EC - Tumkur road 45 min, Tumkur Road - KRS road via above route 2.5 hs and KRS - Pollibetta 2 hrs). This way even though you drive 620 odd kms, you still take lesser time as most of your drive will be on fast 4L roads or very good 2L with sparce traffic (Bellur cross - Pandavapura). Added advantage is lots of places to stop on this route as you are travelling with family vs none on the Kanakpura route. If you plan to go ahead with BLR -MYS normal route, then budget for a minimum of 4 hrs.

Last edited by procrj : 6th August 2017 at 17:31.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 18:52   #2762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Edit: You might just be better off taking NICE road all the way to Tumkur road and then going via Kunigal - Bellur Cross - Pandavapura - KRS Road (deterministic 2.5 hrs from NICE road exit at Tumkur road). That would restrict your total drive time to ~11 hours (BLR-CHN 5.5 hrs, NICE road from EC - Tumkur road 45 min, Tumkur Road - KRS road via above route 2.5 hs and KRS - Pollibetta 2 hrs). This way even though you drive 620 odd kms, you still take lesser time as most of your drive will be on fast 4L roads or very good 2L with sparce traffic (Bellur cross - Pandavapura). Added advantage is lots of places to stop on this route as you are travelling with family vs none on the Kanakpura route. If you plan to go ahead with BLR -MYS normal route, then budget for a minimum of 4 hrs.
+1
I would totally second this option suggested by procrj. With long weekend coming up and when you travel with family for a long distance, this is the best bet.

The downside of Kanakpura road till Mysore is that we have little options for decent stop over, except for Nijaguna Residency @ chamraj nagar and The kitchen 10 kms before Kanakapura. Especially when you are already driving from Madras instead of starting from Bangalore, go for maximum 4L routes that will make you and family less tired.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 11:31   #2763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
By taking the Palamaner-Gudiyattam route and going via Katpadi, you can very much avoid paying toll at Pallikonda. I have done that before.
I stay close to Old Madras Road, so I usually prefer Kolar-Mulbagal route (in day time) since I get to exit Bangalore city very quickly. During night trips, obviously, I take the Hosur-Krishnagiri route. Also, often I'm looking for more engaging and interesting de-tours from the usual 6-lane National Highways. Also another reason is to find routes to avoid the ugly mess on Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls during weekends.

@suresh_gs: I did a couple of Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trips since your post.

On my first trip to Chennai, I tried the route you suggested: Palamner-Gudiyattam-Katpadi-Vellore-Chennai. I started in the afternoon around 3.30pm from Bangalore, hence much of the Gudiyattam-Katpadi-Vellore section was covered in dusk/dark conditions with lot of 2-wheeler traffic around these towns. Certainly doable but average speeds do come down.

In my next trip, (still smitten by the Gudiyattam-Palamner stretch) I took the following route from Chennai to Bangalore and enjoyed it.

Chennai-Arcot bypass-Vellore -> Usual 6/4 lane NH
Right after Poigai town, I took right turn off the NH and went through Virichipuram town. Crossed Railway gate and reached Vaduganthangal town. Took left on the Katpadi-Gudiyattam road towards Gudiyattam. Roads were 2-laned but quite good throughout with less to minimal traffic during daytime.
Thereafter, I did the Gudiyattam-Palamner-Kolar-Bangalore route.

The above combination provided me an opportunity to explore less-travelled roads. Also this seems to a good combination of 2, 4 and 6 lane roads. And I get to avoid crowd at Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls as well as city traffic from Silk Board to Indiranagar.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 11:45   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
......I'm looking for more engaging and interesting de-tours from the usual 6-lane National Highways. Also another reason is to find routes to avoid the ugly mess on Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls during weekends.
You may want to look up this thread and have someone from that group to share the route. The team took a scenic route from Mulbagal to Ambur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post4251418
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 11:48   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stay close to Old Madras Road, so I usually prefer Kolar-Mulbagal route (in day time) since I get to exit Bangalore city very quickly. During night trips, obviously, I take the Hosur-Krishnagiri route. Also, often I'm looking for more engaging and interesting de-tours from the usual 6-lane National Highways. Also another reason is to find routes to avoid the ugly mess on Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls during weekends.

@suresh_gs: I did a couple of Bangalore-Chennai-Bangalore trips since your post.

You can try this route as well via Kolar, Mulbagal, Palamaner, Chittoor town, Ponnai, Sholinghur, Arakkonam, Thakkolam, Thandalam before joining the NH. In my case since my destination was Nanganallur, after Thakkolam I wanted to go to Sriperumbudur via Nemili and then take the Manimangalam SH. Since some political meeting was going one, I took the road parallel to Nemili-Sriperumbudur SH.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:05   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
You may want to look up this thread and have someone from that group to share the route. The team took a scenic route from Mulbagal to Ambur.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post4251418
My trip (through Virinchipuram) described in my previous post was also on the same day (13th August). I was aware of the TBhp meet and was keeping an eye on that thread, seeing if I can somehow make it to the meet in the last moment
I saw the route taken by the Bangalore BHPians (via Mulbagal-Ambur) only the next day after I reached Bangalore. Thanks anyway. Will try out that route next time. Wasn't sure about the road conditions on that stretch so far. I will post in that thread asking for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You can try this route as well via Kolar, Mulbagal, Palamaner, Chittoor town, Ponnai, Sholinghur, Arakkonam, Thakkolam, Thandalam before joining the NH. In my case since my destination was Nanganallur, after Thakkolam I wanted to go to Sriperumbudur via Nemili and then take the Manimangalam SH. Since some political meeting was going one, I took the road parallel to Nemili-Sriperumbudur SH.
Yes, I had seen that detailed post of yours some time back. But seems like a lot of 2-lane driving on that route. Will try someday when I have more travel time on my hands. Also, wifey's hometown comes on that stretch between Sholinghur and Arakkonam. So for sure, I will have to accommodate a long pit-stop there - further increasing my travel time!

Last edited by srvm : 18th August 2017 at 12:07.
Old 18th August 2017, 12:27   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The above combination provided me an opportunity to explore less-travelled roads. Also this seems to a good combination of 2, 4 and 6 lane roads. And I get to avoid crowd at Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls as well as city traffic from Silk Board to Indiranagar.
I can suggest you another route which is less travelled. Infact, i think this is the only route with couple of hairpin bends from Bangalore-Madras via Koundinya Wild life sanctuary

Bangalore-Mulbagal-V.Kota-Pernambat-Gudiyattam-Ranipet-Madras.
https://goo.gl/maps/PYpFRTcqWdw

Alternatively, you can exit after Kolar itself to reach V.Kota via Bethamangala.
https://goo.gl/maps/1KZzRecjSjx

Don't expect higher speeds, great roads or to maintain average kms covered per hour. Just for a change and to break the monotonous 6L, you can give a try.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:33   #2768
Senior - BHPian

Yes this is the route via Pernambat. The road is beautiful and the only issue is that you drive on a one lane road with herds or goats and sheep coming from the opposite direction, some of them jumping around so playfully that they seem to have an urge to get converted to mutton under your car wheels.
Old 18th August 2017, 13:05   #2769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The team took a scenic route from Mulbagal to Ambur.
I suppose this is the Pernampet-Venkatagirikota-Mulbagal route. I remember prabhuferrari mentioning about this route few years back on this thread. It also connects to Pallikonda/Vellore via Gudiyatham

Quote:
And I get to avoid crowd at Attibele and Krishnagiri tolls as well as city traffic from Silk Board to Indiranagar.
When Hosur was a mess, few years back. The Sarjapur-Malur-Bagalur-Berigai-Shoolagiri used to be taken, this avoided the mess between Hosur and Silk Board. Not sure if its worth taking now.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 13:16   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My trip (through Virinchipuram) described in my previous post was also on the same day (13th August). I was aware of the TBhp meet and was keeping an eye on that thread, seeing if I can somehow make it to the meet in the last moment
I saw the route taken by the Bangalore BHPians (via Mulbagal-Ambur) only the next day after I reached Bangalore. Thanks anyway. Will try out that route next time. Wasn't sure about the road conditions on that stretch so far. I will post in that thread asking for details.

Yes, I had seen that detailed post of yours some time back. But seems like a lot of 2-lane driving on that route. Will try someday when I have more travel time on my hands. Also, wifey's hometown comes on that stretch between Sholinghur and Arakkonam. So for sure, I will have to accommodate a long pit-stop there - further increasing my travel time!
Let me tell you that it was sheer pleasure driving from Chittoor to Arakkonam. In fact the pick of the lot was the SH from Sholinghur to Arakkonam. Very good wide 2 lane roads.

I have also tried this route paying only 1 toll in the process

Via TVS Factory, Hosur by pass, Rayakottai, Krishnagiri, Bargur, Tirupattur, Alangayam, Abdullahpuram, NH, Chennasamudram Toll, Kanchipuram, Walajahbad and Vandalur to Nanganallur.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 10:24   #2771
BHPian

I had to go to Chennai over the weekend for some urgent personal work and I took Bangalore-Kolar-Palamner-Chitoor-Chennai route for both onward and return journeys. I'm familiar with this route since I have done this multiple times in the last year.

Onward journey was on Saturday 26th August and return was on Sunday the 27th. Some new developments on this route which were not there on my onward journey on Saturday but was found on Sunday.

They have put new speed breakers (I counted 4 to 5 of them) between AP-KA border till Palamner RTO check post. These are not small rumblers. Each speed breaker has 3 sharp humps which you cannot take at good speed. You have to slow down to a crawl. Whats worse, the trucks carrying goods have to slow down to nearly a halt forcing all vehicles in their wake also to do the same. Some morons or drivers not anticipating such speed-breakers try to overtake the truck at this point causing minor jams for vehicles on opposite side. Please take note, since these are new speed breakers, none of them are marked as of now. They will catch you by surprise even if you are familiar with this route - even during daytime.

Note: these new ones are only between AP-KA border to Palamner. Palamner to Chittoor road status remains the same.

I guess locals are responsible for these un-scientific speed breakers. But when I think about it, I can't blame them. Looking at the way people/pilgrims to Tirupati drive on this stretch, I only pity the locals since they have to endure these speed-breakers everyday unlike once-in-a-while travellers like us.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:09   #2772
Senior - BHPian

If they are on a NHAI maintained national highway any such speedbreakers installed by local authorities must be reported.

There is already a ministry order against such installations and this may be cited.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Remo...w/51834592.cms
Old 29th August 2017, 13:57   #2773
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be driving down to Manimangalam this Friday and hence I will be taking Sriperumbudur - Tambarm road which passes through. Wanted to check on road conditions and anything to look out for.

Also wanted to check on best route to take from Manimangalam to Mahabalipuram. Gmaps shows me Vandalur - Kelambakam - Kovalam - Mahabs - is this the best route to take or can I do Chengalpattu - Mahabs? Looking for a relatively stress free route as I will be driving Vandalur - Mahabs Friday afternoon.

Last edited by procrj : 29th August 2017 at 14:08. Reason: Small change in final destination
Old 29th August 2017, 14:16   #2774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be driving down to Manimangalam this Friday and hence I will be taking Sriperumbudur - Tambarm road which passes through. Wanted to check on road conditions and anything to look out for.

Also wanted to check on best route to take from Manimangalam to Mahabalipuram. Gmaps shows me Vandalur - Kelambakam - Kovalam - Mahabs - is this the best route to take or can I do Chengalpattu - Mahabs? Looking for a relatively stress free route as I will be driving Vandalur - Mahabs Friday afternoon.
Afternoon is fine, it is the evening that will start a rush home and out of town

Kelambakkam - Kovalam - Mahabs will take you on some narrow and likely to be congested roads.
Old 29th August 2017, 17:20   #2775
BHPian

Quote:

After you exit the highway at Sriperumbudur, initial ~4 KMs of the road is broken. Rest of the road is fine till Manimangalam.

Most Viewed