Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 17:33   #2776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Also wanted to check on best route to take from Manimangalam to Mahabalipuram. Gmaps shows me Vandalur - Kelambakam - Kovalam - Mahabs - is this the best route to take or can I do Chengalpattu - Mahabs? Looking for a relatively stress free route as I will be driving Vandalur - Mahabs Friday afternoon.
Take the Sriperumbudur - Manimangalam - Vandalur - Kelambakkam - Kovalam - ECR. You'll have issues...REAL bad issues only at Kelambakkam junction, rest will be breeze.
Old 29th August 2017, 17:43   #2777
Team-BHP Support

Or another option is to take the Kanchipuram-Chegalpet-Kelambakam option. Avoids bad traffic from Arcot to Sriperumbudur/Manimangalam.

Last edited by ampere : 26th September 2017 at 16:54. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 5th September 2017, 12:20   #2778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Take the Sriperumbudur - Manimangalam - Vandalur - Kelambakkam - Kovalam - ECR. You'll have issues...REAL bad issues only at Kelambakkam junction, rest will be breeze.
Did take the above route and here are the updates:
Sriperumbudur - Manimangalam: After the turn off from the highway, the first few Kms are broken with some real bad potholes but once you hit the SIPCOT road, its a good 4L/2L all the way to Manimangalam.
Manimangalam - Vandalur - Kelambakkam: was not an issue at all. Took ORR and breeze through Vandalur signal (this was at 3.30 PM on Friday). Again not much traffic on Vandalur - Kelambakkam stretch apart from a few buses that stopped at will. Kelambakkam signal was also not very bad and and managed to take the left towards Kovalam in 5 minutes.

On the way back yesterday, drove back via Chengalpattu - Walajabad - Kanchipuram - Ranipet and the 110 odd kms took 2 hours. Had to negotiate traffic in Chengalpattu and then kind of bypass Kanchipuram using the Military road and then hop onto Vandavasi - Bangalore Bypass to get to Ranipet. Loads of truck & bus traffic in Walajabad - Kanchipuram stretch.
Here is the link to the so called Kanchi bypass. Not sure if this is the standard route to take to bypass Kanchi traffic: https://goo.gl/maps/dJNwSCcY1S52
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 14:58   #2779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the way back yesterday, drove back via Chengalpattu - Walajabad - Kanchipuram - Ranipet and the 110 odd kms took 2 hours. Had to negotiate traffic in Chengalpattu and then kind of bypass Kanchipuram using the Military road and then hop onto Vandavasi - Bangalore Bypass to get to Ranipet. Loads of truck & bus traffic in Walajabad - Kanchipuram stretch
Yesterday was little unusual, there was heavy traffic yesterday. A friend of mine got struck at Paranur aka Chennai tollgate & took almost 2 hours to reach Chennai city.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2017, 16:16   #2780
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On the way back yesterday, drove back via Chengalpattu - Walajabad - Kanchipuram - Ranipet and the 110 odd kms took 2 hours. Had to negotiate traffic in Chengalpattu and then kind of bypass Kanchipuram using the Military road and then hop onto Vandavasi - Bangalore Bypass to get to Ranipet. Loads of truck & bus traffic in Walajabad - Kanchipuram stretch.
Not sure on this. Did not expect heavy traffic on this SH. But yes Chengalpattu town crossing needs to be taken care off.

Quote:
Here is the link to the so called Kanchi bypass. Not sure if this is the standard route to take to bypass Kanchi traffic
Thats the correct one. No other option.

Based on your experiences it looks like Sriperumbudur is a better option.
Old 5th September 2017, 18:09   #2781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Based on your experiences it looks like Sriperumbudur is a better option.
Definitely but need to watch out for those random potholes that turn up in Sriperumbudur - Cheenasamudram stretch.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:00   #2782
Senior - BHPian

I am currently in Whitefield and need to leave for Chennai tomorrow morning.

Is the Whitefield Sarjapur Road that goes past hope farm and connects to the Attibele toll still a mess due to road works? If so the recent rains can’t have done it any significant amount of good.

If by some miracle the road is now in good sha R please do let me know. Thanks.
Old 26th September 2017, 16:34   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I am currently in Whitefield and need to leave for Chennai tomorrow morning.

Is the Whitefield Sarjapur Road that goes past hope farm and connects to the Attibele toll still a mess due to road works? If so the recent rains can’t have done it any significant amount of good.

If by some miracle the road is now in good sha R please do let me know. Thanks.
I just drove 4 days ago in this route. Attibelle-Sarjapur-Varthur-Hope farm signal. The road conditions are bad between Attibelle till Varthur, so i don't recommend it. Better to take EC at off peak hours.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 16:50   #2784
Senior - BHPian

Drove last Saturday till Vaniyambadi. The surface on the Bangalore bound side is more or less the same as what I saw 2 years back, very little improvement. The Madras bound side is smooth tarmac till Sriperumbudur bypass.

What's bad is the numerous barricades that have popped up. Quite a few have been knocked off by people not expecting and misjudging them. On one occasion I noticed one fallen down sideways. Since it was daytime I spotted from a distance, not sure how it will be at night time.

Seems like Fastag sensors are on all lanes in Pallikonda, Chennasamudram and Pennalur. The tag got auto detected even in a lane, not marked for Fastag.
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 17:01   #2785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Drove last Saturday till Vaniyambadi. The surface on the Bangalore bound side is more or less the same as what I saw 2 years back, very little improvement. The Madras bound side is smooth tarmac till Sriperumbudur bypass.
Whenever I head out of Chennai by noon, I make sure I usually reach Bangalore by 6:30/7 or 8 at max. There is always a feeling euphoria the moment I cross Walaja toll. Its much better beyond on the 6-lane. I have not seen difference on the road quality on either side (may not have sensed it), but the barricades are pathetic. They should have made a clear bypass for all these villages.

Quote:
Seems like Fastag sensors are on all lanes in Pallikonda, Chennasamudram and Pennalur. The tag got auto detected even in a lane, not marked for Fastag.
This is great to note. Thanks for sharing.
Old 26th September 2017, 17:33   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen difference on the road quality on either side (may not have sensed it), but the barricades are pathetic. They should have made a clear bypass for all these villages.
Quote:

What's bad is the numerous barricades that have popped up. Quite a few have been knocked off by people not expecting and misjudging them. On one occasion I noticed one fallen down sideways. Since it was daytime I spotted from a distance, not sure how it will be at night time.

Yes, there are way too many barricades especially in Vellore district. The placement of them is also bad especially in curves, where there is very little time to react/slow down or go through them for those who are at high speeds.

Totally Agree with narayan its very dangerous at night. People simply knock it off and pass through and least bothered about vehicles coming behind. Two wheelers are at very high risk!

Though it is good to reduce speeds in intersections but the approach and placements of barricades with zero advance notification is dangerous.

Quote:
Since i lost my car, i couldn't use FASTag lane and hence didn't bother to check if there are sensors in all lanes. Glad to know if they have installed it,but by all means, the cash payment method is slowing down and defeats the purpose anyway

-Ravi
Old 26th September 2017, 19:26   #2787
Distinguished - BHPian

Took the chitoor route this afternoon. Huge number of speed breakers all along the way after getting off the tolled road. Was frustrating.

Will take the regular hosur route on the way back.
Old 27th September 2017, 10:42   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*

LOL, maybe I should try that from now on - going into the lanes that are NOT marked Fastag. At Chennasamudram and Nemili (Sriperambudur) I always have trouble having my tag read - I always have to go back and forth a few times at different angles and different speeds for the barrier to open. And, these are the only two locations I ever have had issues with!

Cheers
Old 27th September 2017, 14:53   #2789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen difference on the road quality on either side (may not have sensed it),
There is a perceptible difference. I drove up and down within a 4-5 hour gap. If not for 2 huge jams between Sriperumbudur and Poonamalee I'd have returned faster than I did onward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
At Chennasamudram and Nemili (Sriperambudur) I always have trouble having my tag read - I always have to go back and forth a few times at different angles and different speeds for the barrier to open.
My case was the other way around. I had a return ticket so I consciously entered the lane not marked with Fastag. But it detected regardless. I did notice there were small green ETC toll boards hung on each lane.

I'll have an opportunity to test this again in a week time.

Mine is a Equitas tag mounted on the front passenger side.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:00   #2790
BHPian

FastTag, does its position in the windshield make a difference in recognition speed? If yes, which position - driver side, co-passenger side, Right/left/center, top/middle or bottom? I have been having this for 2+ years now, just below central rear view mirror inside. Should one replace with a new Tag if there is no visible damage to it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks