Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 11:54   #2986
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I did the Chennai - Bangalore - Chennai run this weekend. Left Chennai at 630 in the morning and reached Bangalore by 1 PM including a 45 min break. Did not encounter any traffic even at the tolls until i reached Hosur. An amazing drive that would have done "an Italian tune-up" for my car that typically runs only in the city.

Left in the afternoon on Sunday from Bangalore and took more than an hour to reach electronic city. Encountered a very light drizzle all the way till Vaniyambadi. Took a pit stop at SaiSangeet. This time got quite a bit of traffic especially once i crossed Vellore. Ended up reaching home around 10 PM.

With a not -too-aggressive style of driving, it takes 5.30 hrs from Kodambakkam to Electronic City (or the other way). Any destination beyond that in Bangalore is at the mercy of the traffic gods !
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:42   #2987
BHPian

I am driving to Chennai tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any updated info on the status of the six-laning between Mulbagal and Ranipet (i.e. the entire Andhra stretch)?

Would you recommend that route at all or would you recommend avoiding it and going the Krishnagiri route?

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2018, 21:13   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I am driving to Chennai tomorrow morning. Does anyone have any updated info on the status of the six-laning between Mulbagal and Ranipet (i.e. the entire Andhra stretch)?

Would you recommend that route at all or would you recommend avoiding it and going the Krishnagiri route?

Cheers
One of my friends did the AP stretch a couple of weeks back and said it was bad.

Stick to Krishnagiri. I'm also driving back to Chennai tomorrow but from Whitefield - i'll still go through Krishnagiri till this road is six landed.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:46   #2989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Cheers
Mate, I drove to Kanipakkam from Bangalore last Saturday by taking the Old Madras Road. Post KA/AP border, 4 lane work is in full swing. Apparently concrete road is being built. In some of the stretches, of the 4 lanes 2 lanes are ready for commuting with vehicles coming in either direction as well. The pain lies in the trailer lorries. Wherever you find the board TAKE DIVERSION and just in case you have such lorries ahead of you, overtaking is nearly impossible. Plus there are unmarked speed breakers as well.
So driving in the night is very risky. Once I reached Bangarupalayam, I took a left instead of proceeding straight and reached Kanipakkam by taking the interior roads
I must say it is a pleasure to drive on these interior roads without any road diversion issues or vehicle traffic.
By the time I completed darshan of Lord Vinayaka it was past 7 30 PM. I then decided to head back to Bangalore via the Hosur road. The Chittoor by pass Vellore stretch is also being converted into 4 lane road. IMO driving on the Chittoor by pass Vellore stretch is less stressful when compared to the Old Madras Road.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 22:55   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Completed a Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore trip in last 3 days.

On Thursday 2nd Aug, left Bangalore at 3.30 pm and reached Attibelle toll at 5.30 pm, almost 1.5 hours. Thanks to the amazing inch-by-inch bumper to bumper Bangalore Traffic which makes you to drive strictly in 1st gear.
Beyond Attibelle, once I crossed border Hosur traffic once the shift ended welcomed me to make sure the average speed is below 30 kmph all the way till Krishnagiri !!! By the time i reached Krishnagiri toll, it was 6.30 pm and once i took left towards Madras, the traffic eased after Bargur exit to do reasonable speeds.
Reached Arcot A2B at 8.30 and after a 45 minutes dinner break, left Arcot A2B at 9.15 pm and reached Vadapalani at 11.15 pm in good 2 hours, luckily less traffic after Walajah Chennasamudram toll.

In return journey on Saturday 4th Aug, left Vadapalani at 3.30 pm sharp and got stuck in inch-by-inch city traffic again near Poonamalle due to some truck/car minor collision and I was cursing my luck. Adding to that, rains were also causing delays all the way till Chennasamudram Toll, so reached Sai Sangeet after the toll plaza at 6 pm. After 15 minutes tea break, was able to pick up speeds and reached Krishnagiri toll at 8.15 pm. After a quick 20 minutes dinner break @ Hotel Saravanaa Bhavan (the one that comes before Mangalam hotel), left restaurant at 8.35 pm and reached C.V.Raman Nagar at 10.30 pm as traffic was winding down in city.

So essentially, it turns out that if we don't exit both the city's in early mornings, it takes easily 7+ hours (with one reasonable break time of 30 mts to 1 hour) door-to-door in both directions as it takes much longer to exit city traffic (Electronic city/Attibelle or Sriperumbudur). I remember doing door-to-door at 5 hours few years back , but i really doubt if we can do it any longer despite having 6L roads.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 06:03   #2991
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
So essentially, it turns out that if we don't exit both the city's in early mornings, it takes easily 7+ hours (with one reasonable break time of 30 mts to 1 hour) door-to-door in both directions as it takes much longer to exit city traffic (Electronic city/Attibelle or Sriperumbudur). I remember doing door-to-door at 5 hours few years back , but i really doubt if we can do it any longer despite having 6L roads.
A 3:30 PM exit from either city is asking for trouble in my opinion. While going to Chennai I guess you may not have an option. But plan for a start which lets you past E-City (or Hosur) by 3:30.

And for return, I would say no later then 1PM from Chennai. That would allow you to reach Silk Board by about 6:30/7.
Old 6th August 2018, 06:28   #2992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On Thursday 2nd Aug, left Bangalore at 3.30 pm and reached Attibelle toll at 5.30 pm, almost 1.5 hours.
Don't know where you start from; but if from East Bangalore you will save a lot of time if you take Sarjapur Road > Sarjapur > Bagalur > Hosur. Shouldn't take more than an hour to reach Hosur from Kaikondrahalli.

(Also, 3.30 pm to 5.30 pm is 2 hours)

Quote:
In return journey on Saturday 4th Aug, left Vadapalani at 3.30 pm sharp and got stuck in inch-by-inch city traffic again near Poonamalle due to some truck/car minor collision
If starting from Vadapalani, perhaps it is better to hit NH4 at Koyambedu itself and not come via Poonamallee? Or did you mean the traffic on the Poonamallee bypass?

Last edited by binand : 6th August 2018 at 06:32.
Old 6th August 2018, 07:40   #2993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Don't know where you start from; but if from East Bangalore you will save a lot of time if you take Sarjapur Road > Sarjapur > Bagalur > Hosur. Shouldn't take more than an hour to reach Hosur from Kaikondrahalli.
The Bagalur road is having new roads built and there are some traffic pileups at Sarjapur junction. I was stuck for 20 mins last week while taking the Bagalur road, on my travel to hosur. Instead i take the Sarjapur-Attibele road-Attibele toll plaza. This has decent roads and no traffic pileups.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 07:49   #2994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
The Bagalur road is having new roads built and there are some traffic pileups at Sarjapur junction. I was stuck for 20 mins last week while taking the Bagalur road, on my travel to hosur. Instead i take the Sarjapur-Attibele road-Attibele toll plaza. This has decent roads and no traffic pileups.
Roads are broken both at entrance and exit of Sarjapur town. Looks there is a road construction work happening immediately after the Baglur exit on 207 beyond Sarjapur. Add it to the the T-Junction at Baglur can cause a pile-up.

These 3 are the sources of delays along this route as of today.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 08:01   #2995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Add it to the the T-Junction at Baglur can cause a pile-up.
There is a road marked Kaganur-Nallur Road in Google Maps. This avoids this T junction and is quite good though a bit lonely (as per a trip report here, I think). I'm planning to take this the next time I have reason to go southwards.
Old 6th August 2018, 09:06   #2996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vadapalani at 3.30 pm...Sai Sangeet after the toll plaza at 6 pm
That's about the time it takes. I start from T. Nagar/OMR and take 200 ft Road to Pallavaram (avoids the construction just after airport) take GST till Tambaram and Mudichur-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur. One or 2 times I've taken the Poonamaleee and Walajabad route.

On best days for an afternoon start, I cross Murugan Idli Kadai 1:45 hrs and has gone upto 2:15 hrs. So I'll put 2 hrs as a good time for afternoon start. y start times have varied between 1:45pm to 4:15pm. I don't take Poonamalee route unless it is an early morning start. There are far too many incidents and trigger happy jams that have prompted me to avoid it alltogether.

For Manimangalam route, the only bottleneck is the merge point at Sriperumbudur, where it can take 10-15 mins to merge into the highway. Rest of the route is peaceful (relatively).

Ever since the resurfacing of main highway, Walajabad route doesn't make much sense, primarily due to traffic on 9 km Walajabad-Kanchipuram section where you won't be able cross 50-60. Remaining sections (Vandalur-Walajabad, Military Road and merge point to GQ) are good
Old 8th August 2018, 11:05   #2997

Hello All.

I am planning for a return trip from Bangalore (Marathahalli) to Chennai (Chepauk) coming Friday. Due to familiarity I shall stick to E-City - Hosur - Vellore - Chennai route. The problem is I have an important meeting to attend at Office which gets over by 1pm and have a train to catch along with family the very same day at 10.45PM. I planned to leave by 2PM and have lunch somewhere on the way by 3PM. Are these timings are perfect for me to make in time to catch the train at Chennai Egmore ?

Worst Case : I can obviously call in for a sick leave but I would not prefer to. Further With Kalaignar's Obituary yesterday, hope the route / vehicle movement is clear on Friday.

Any suggestions
Old 8th August 2018, 11:16   #2998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There is a road marked Kaganur-Nallur Road in Google Maps. This avoids this T junction and is quite good though a bit lonely (as per a trip report here, I think). I'm planning to take this the next time I have reason to go southwards.
I was asked to take this route in March by the police at the check post after Sarjapur as there was an accident near Bagalur. The road was excellent and deserted initially but had some WIP section in between. Not sure whether the construction is done now. The road joins the NH 207 just before the RTO check post before Hosur. The route is also shorter by 3 -4 KMs compared to Bagalur route.

Please update if you happen to take this route.
Old 8th August 2018, 11:37   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo2016 View Post
Office which gets over by 1pm and have a train to catch along with family the very same day at 10.45PM. I planned to leave by 2PM and have lunch somewhere on the way by 3PM.

Worst Case : I can obviously call in for a sick leave but I would not prefer to. Further With Kalaignar's Obituary yesterday, hope the route / vehicle movement is clear on Friday.
2 pm start from Marathahalli for a 1045pm train in Central is cutting too close. Taking the 1615 Mysore Shatabdi from SBC is a better option than driving if you have to attend the meeting. Or you can take the call on the way.

The burial has been cleared for Marina, the only open point that was there. It will likely get over today, and should be business as usual from tomorrow.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:19   #3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
2 pm start from Marathahalli for a 1045pm train in Central is cutting too close. Taking the 1615 Mysore Shatabdi from SBC is a better option than driving if you have to attend the meeting. Or you can take the call on the way.

The burial has been cleared for Marina, the only open point that was there. It will likely get over today, and should be business as usual from tomorrow.
Yeah it was all over the news. If that's the case shall plan via Train. Just curious can we make it in time if we start by 12PM at Marathahalli ?

Most Viewed