Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2019, 23:34   #3151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I've had some horrendous traffic jams when entering Chennai via Poonamallee on the way to annanagar. Today I got stuck for about 30 minutes each in 2 placers. Is there any alternate route.
By Poonamalle, I guess you too Porur route? If so, do try Maduravayol - Koyambedu route instead. Though thanks to bad condition of road, it is not that quick as it used to be, it is still a better option that Poonamalle - Porur route.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 23:51   #3152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
By Poonamalle, I guess you too Porur route? If so, do try Maduravayol - Koyambedu route instead. Though thanks to bad condition of road, it is not that quick as it used to be, it is still a better option that Poonamalle - Porur route.
I usually do Poonamallee bypass Maduravayol- koyembedu and then annanagar. This is where I ended up stuck in traffic.
Old 19th February 2019, 07:43   #3153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I usually do Poonamallee bypass Maduravayol- koyembedu and then annanagar. This is where I ended up stuck in traffic.
If you are heading to south Chennai/Tambaram, you can take the Sriperumbudur-Mudichur-Manimangalam-Tambaram option.

Some folks also take the Oragadam-Vandalur option. Depends on where you want to head out.

For North Chennai I think you still need to take the bypass. (I am not aware of any options.Would be glad to know if there are any)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 08:58   #3154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I usually do Poonamallee bypass Maduravayol- koyembedu and then annanagar.
Where exactly is your destination? If it is Annanagar (West or East), Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Mudichur-Tambaram-Bypass-Maduravoyal will avoid everything until Maduravoyal, this ofcourse adds kms. I won't suggest Oragadam route if it is evening, Military Road-Walajabad will be worser than the main highway.

If your destination is Mogappair closer to DAV/Spartan school I remember there is a route via Thiruverkadu. I had been this way years back, not in recent years.

For East Annanagar/Shanti Colony there is no escape, you either have to wade through PH Road or Ring Road traffic. This is regardless of which way you enter, Nelson Manickam Road/Ring Road from Vadapalani or Maduravoyal.

Ambattur-Padi junction route is even worser
Old 19th February 2019, 11:25   #3155
BHPian

Had to rush to Chennai on 16th (Saturday) due to last minute plans. Left Bangalore around 8.45am. Made good progress till Sriperumbudur. Thereafter got stuck in very slow moving traffic until Maduravoyal where I took left since my destination was Korattur. Must have spent close to 2 hours to go from Sriperumbudur toll plaza to Korattur.

On 17th (Sunday) afternoon, I started from Camp Road junction, East Tambaram around 2.15pm. Took the Tambaram-Mudichur-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur route suggested in this thread by many BHPians. This was my first time in this route. The progress was ok (not rapid) up to Mudichur. Thereafter, it was stress-free driving up to Sriperumbudur and beyond - since the Sriperumbudur toll plaza is also bypassed.
I quite liked the above route compared to the traffic-dense Maduravoyal-Poonamallee bypass-Sriperumbudur route that I usually take.

Thanks to many BHPians for the suggestion
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 13:09   #3156
Senior - BHPian

Completed a weekend trip from Bangalore-Sholinghur-Kanchipuram-Bangalore for my regular temple visits.

Onward journey, left home at 10 am and since it is a late start, didn't choose to go via Koramangala/Silk Board/Hosur/Vellore route. Instead, took the same route i did last November via Hoskote-Mulbagal-Palamaner-Gudiyattam-Katpadi-Vellore-Sholinghur.
Road conditions are good throughout and remains same as earlier.
As i mentioned in my previous post, except for flyovers between Nangili to Palamaner, the concrete road is really good to drive in good speeds.
Once this old NH4 road work is completed between KA/AP border all the way till Ranipet, it will be a breeze to drive and save lot of time for those who are exiting city from North/East Bangalore.

In the ghat sections, just that the greenery that was in November rains are gone and its starting to become dry in the ghat section between Palamaner to Gudiyattam. But it is still it is good in general standards.

Reached Sholinghur at 3 pm after lunch break and finished darshan in both the hills (Yoga Narasimha swamy with 1400 steps and Hanuman hill with 406 steps) by 6 pm, as they close the temple. Drove towards Kanchipuram for night stay. Road conditions between Sholinghur to Kanchipuram (via Arakkonam INS Rajali) is very good, though the traffic is more.

On Sunday first half, finished darshan of Kamakshi amman temple and Ulagalandha perumal temples in Kanchipuram and then Orikkai Manimandapam. Started return journey and drove to Bangalore via Military road and joined NH. It took overall 2.5 hours to reach from Kanchipuram to Bangalore Electronic city. And then another 2 hours from Bangalore to Bangalore (read EC to C.V.Raman Nagar ) as the traffic was very high and traffic jams from EC all the way on sunday evening. God save us given the way its going to increase time over years. Unless we time the entry/exit to Bangalore & Madras, i guess we can safely plan 2 hours for both the cities only.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 18:40   #3157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Completed a weekend trip from Bangalore-Sholinghur-Kanchipuram-Bangalore for my regular temple visits.

Onward journey, left home at 10 am and since it is a late start, didn't choose to go via Koramangala/Silk Board/Hosur/Vellore route. Instead, took the same route i did last November via Hoskote-Mulbagal-Palamaner-Gudiyattam-Katpadi-Vellore-Sholinghur.
Road conditions are good throughout and remains same as earlier.
As i mentioned in my previous post, except for flyovers between Nangili to Palamaner, the concrete road is really good to drive in good speeds.
Once this old NH4 road work is completed between KA/AP border all the way till Ranipet, it will be a breeze to drive and save lot of time for those who are exiting city from North/East Bangalore.
......And then another 2 hours from Bangalore to Bangalore (read EC to C.V.Raman Nagar ) as the traffic was very high and traffic jams from EC all the way on sunday evening. God save us given the way its going to increase time over years. Unless we time the entry/exit to Bangalore & Madras, i guess we can safely plan 2 hours for both the cities only.
Ravi, thanks for the update on this route. I'm also looking forward to the completion of road work on the old NH4. Then, at least East/North Bangaloreans can exit or enter Bangalore quickly compared to Silk Board route. But, I guess traffic is also bound to increase further on Tin factory-Hoskote stretch once highway is ready.

I'm planning to do Bangalore-Sholingur in March. Given the pain to cross Hosur from C V Raman Nagar starting point, I was seriously considering this option: Kolar-Mulbagal bypass-V Kota-Pernambut-Gudiyattam-Vellore-Walajah-Sholingur.
Do you think the above route is worth it (I haven't done the above route ever)?

Or shall I take the same route that you took via Nangali-Palamner-Gudiyattam (have done this route 3 times in the last 2 years)? How many of these new flyovers are under construction between Nangali and Palamner? and how bad is it to cross them during daytime?
Old 19th February 2019, 19:54   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I'm planning to do Bangalore-Sholingur in March. Given the pain to cross Hosur from C V Raman Nagar starting point, I was seriously considering this option: Kolar-Mulbagal bypass-V Kota-Pernambut-Gudiyattam-Vellore-Walajah-Sholingur.
No, not worth it to take V.Kota-Pernambut-Gudiyattam route as it is quite slower and longer compared to Palamaner route. Morever, given that you are heading to Sholinghur, It is definitely not recommended. You should try this route when you are heading to Madras in a leisure drive. I drove it couple of years back and it was interesting drive [with hairpin bends too - may be the only route to Madras with few hairpin bends ]

Quote:
Or shall I take the same route that you took via Nangali-Palamner-Gudiyattam (have done this route 3 times in the last 2 years)? How many of these new flyovers are under construction between Nangali and Palamner? and how bad is it to cross them during daytime?
Suggest you stick to Palamaner route for this trip. After Nangli, there are about 3 to 4 flyovers under construction, but they are not a big problem. It is easy to cross them in day time, as there are two separate roads for each direction below the flyovers under construction, so no stepping on to same road and no competition for space.

But do note that after you cross Palamaner checkpost and continue to drive, you have to be watchful to take right turn to go inside Palamaner town using old road instead of taking Palamaner bypass in new concrete road. You have At the outset, it will look and easy to miss the exit, but so do take the old road and exit right in Palamaner town towards Gudiyattam.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 20:08   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a ghat section near Pernambut and very narrow single roads (++ villagers with herds of sheep, no petrol pumps) for a good few kilometers before and after it. It is a very pretty route though. See some photos from a TBHP drive in 2017 here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-...ml#post4251418 (Joint Chennai - Bangalore drive: To Vaniyambadi on 13th August, 2017) .. scroll past all the restaurant photos for two or three snaps from that route.

If you develop a tyre issue or run out of fuel .. pray Cell signal is a bit dodgy there too, so I hope you're the DIY kind.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 09:13   #3160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
No, not worth it to take V.Kota-Pernambut-Gudiyattam route as it is quite slower and longer compared to Palamaner route. Morever, given that you are heading to Sholinghur, It is definitely not recommended.......

Suggest you stick to Palamaner route for this trip. After Nangli, there are about 3 to 4 flyovers under construction, but they are not a big problem. It is easy to cross them in day time, as there are two separate roads for each direction below the flyovers under construction, so no stepping on to same road and no competition for space.
Thanks Ravi. I will take the Nangli-Palamner-Gudiyattam route to Sholingur. And will go through Palamner town. Glad to know that the newly made concrete section is good to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There is a ghat section near Pernambut and very narrow single roads (++ villagers with herds of sheep, no petrol pumps) for a good few kilometers before and after it. It is a very pretty route though. .......
If you develop a tyre issue or run out of fuel .. pray Cell signal is a bit dodgy there too, so I hope you're the DIY kind.
Thanks Suresh. Even the Palamner-Gudiyattam stretch is pretty desolate during day time. Very few vehicles and hamlets along the way.
Old 22nd February 2019, 17:49   #3161
BHPian

Another update on Chitoor Road

Came Chennai-Bangalore today through the Chitoor route, being terrified of landing up at Attibele on a Friday afternoon and aiming to reach North Bangalore. Here is the road condition of the Andhra section

- Railway Crossing at Zion Hill to Tirupathi turnoff past Chitoor (coming from Chennai side) - about 25 km of mess as road is being constructed at a good pace. About 10 kms is complete in at least one way.

- Tirupathi turnoff to Bangarupalayam - all four lanes opened. Bangarupalayam by pass is not complete and we have to take the old road through town

- Bangarupalayam to Palamneru - all four lanes mostly opened. Only one bridge is still under construction and hence a diversion under the bridge. Palamaneru bypass still not opened and we have to take the old road through the town

- Palamneru to Karnataka border - All four lanes opened . There are four bridges incomplete and hence diversions through bad patches

All in all, this route should certainly be the preferred route for Tirupathi goers from Bangalore. For Bangalore - Chennai I am going to now take this route, despite the bad patches if I am either leaving or entering Bangalore after 6.00 AM as it is preferable to fighting traffic from Attibele to reach North Bangalore or the other way round. For North and East Bangalore residents this has now become a usable option and improving all the time as road works are going on at a good pace and sections are constantly being opened. In another three months I think it would be largely complete except for the bridges.
Secretariat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 22:25   #3162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Thanks a lot Secretariat. This is useful update, given that i have a Tirupati drive coming up next weekend. I was in dilemma if i have to take Punganur route or to go via Bangarupalayam/Chittoor route. I heard that Chittoor Bypass is still bad,but not sure though.

-Ravi

Last edited by ampere : 11th March 2019 at 10:31. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 10th March 2019, 11:37   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post

For Bangalore - Chennai I am going to now take this route, despite the bad patches if I am either leaving or entering Bangalore after 6.00 AM as it is preferable to fighting traffic from Attibele to reach North Bangalore or the other way round. For North and East Bangalore residents this has now become a usable option and improving all the time as road works are going on at a good pace and sections are constantly being opened. In another three months I think it would be largely complete except for the bridges.
Try pallikonda Gudiyatham palamner route. Faster than this by 20 to 30 min and better roads.
Old 10th March 2019, 18:44   #3164
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Please help me with suitable route suggestion to reach Besant Nagar from Bangalore. Starting from bangalore at 4:30AM.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:01   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Updates from my weekend run:

- Home to Sai Sangeet at Chennasamudram toll took 2 hrs with a 7am start via Tambaram,Manimangalam,Sriperumbudur. Progress was slow on Tambaram-Sriperumbudur, barely saw 5th gear. Not a bad timing for speeds < 80 kph.

- Sriperumbudur-Walajah is OK. No improvement of worsening since year end.

- Madras bound Walajah-Poonamalee has improved leaps and bounds since my year end drive. There are some odd concrete patches that have given away. But in general, it is a lot better situation.

- One signal in Poonamalee bypass on Madras bound direction which is very bad. Rest of the bypass is in good shape. This is the same one that bent ravib's rims.

- Murugan Idli Shop (100th km outlet) to Home took 90 mins on a Sunday afternoon (200 pm - 330 pm) without exceeding 85 kph. Am yet to recover from this shock.

- The above Murugan Idli shop outlet on Madras bound side is a satellite outlet of the 82nd km Bangalore bound outlet. Lunch service started only around 120pm. They only had idli-dosai until then.
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Besant Nagar from Bangalore. Starting from bangalore at 4:30AM.
Bangalore-Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Mudichur-Tambaram-GST-Pallavaram 200 ft Road-OMR and right at Indira Nagar signal. If its a weekday, it'll be peak hours entering Madras. Even Saturdays are busy.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed