Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 13:10   #3166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Please help me with suitable route suggestion to reach Besant Nagar from Bangalore. Starting from bangalore at 4:30AM.
Just take the usual E City -> Vellore -> Krishnagiri -> Hosur -> Chennai route. Stay under the flyover instead of climbing it into Poonamallee, cross Guindy Kathipara and then on to Adyar, Besant Nagar. Google Maps should show you the way and at 4:30 AM there will be little or no traffic upto Hosur. Start after 5:30 and you'll have long queues at each toll.
Old 14th March 2019, 18:39   #3167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Try pallikonda Gudiyatham palamner route. Faster than this by 20 to 30 min and better roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Another update on Chitoor Road

Came Chennai-Bangalore today through the Chitoor route
Hey guys,
Planning to do a Chennai - Bangalore trip, leaving tomorrow afternoon around 3:30 - 4 PM from RA Puram. Don't have a very hard timeline limit, but would prefer to opt for a traffic-less route as much as possible.

Now I have done the Krishnagiri route umpteen number of times and am bored driving via that route. Considering it'll be dark by the time I reach Vellore, would it make sense to go via the Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamner - Bangalore route or should I just go via the Krishnagiri route? My previous experience on the Chittor route (5 years back) was pretty painful after dark on the 2 lane sections due to the traffic.

Also any suggestions on which route I can avail to reach Sriperemubudur? Google baba is telling me to take the default Guindy - Chennai Trade Center - Porur - Poonamalle route only.
Old 14th March 2019, 19:27   #3168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hey guys,
Now I have done the Krishnagiri route umpteen number of times and am bored driving via that route. Considering it'll be dark by the time I reach Vellore, would it make sense to go via the Pallikonda - Gudiyatham - Palamner - Bangalore route or should I just go via the Krishnagiri route? My previous experience on the Chittor route (5 years back) was pretty painful after dark on the 2 lane sections due to the traffic.
I don't know about your other queries, but Gudiyatham-Palamner route is a definite NO for after-dusk driving. Pretty desolate even during day time.
Also, from previous posts in this thread and Bangalore-Tirupati thread, the present road conditions between Palamner-Nangali toll plaza is ok only for day time journey.
Take a look at BHPian ravib's latest update here (Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries)
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 22:35   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning to do a Chennai - Bangalore trip, leaving tomorrow afternoon around 3:30 - 4 PM from RA Puram.
Can't guarantee traffic less. Start early as possible, 2:xx PM would be better, this way you beat the school traffic. Beyond 3:00 PM you should see school buses, vans adding up everywhere. My regular has always been Tambaram-Mudichur-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur bypass. Budget 2 hours to Murugan Idli shop at the 82nd km milestone for the latter start time.

A leisurely dinner and you should be at Attibele well past 10, this way you should reach your destination with relative ease.

Given the current progress of Chittoor 4-laning, I won't recommend Chittoor or Gudiyatham route for your start timing.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 11:19   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Planning to do a Chennai - Bangalore trip, leaving tomorrow afternoon around 3:30 - 4 PM from RA Puram. Don't have a very hard timeline limit, but would prefer to opt for a traffic-less route as much as possible.

Also any suggestions on which route I can avail to reach Sriperemubudur? Google baba is telling me to take the default Guindy - Chennai Trade Center - Porur - Poonamalle route only.
There is one more route which I have tried once

Via Attibele, Rayakottai, Krishnagiri, Bargur, Tirupattur, Alangayam, Odugathur, Abdullapuram and Kanchi by pass to Nanganallur. I ended up paying only 1 toll enroute. Alangayam route should be tried in the day time only.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:15   #3171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
My regular has always been Tambaram-Mudichur-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur bypass.
I have been using this route ever since we shifted base to Selaiyur from Thiruvanmiyur.

We get to avoid the clogged toll booth near Venkateswara university by joining the highway near Sriperambudur via this route don't we? Earlier, we used to join the highway via Poonamallee and we were so used to wasting time at the toll...we're stoked, we're so happy to be able to avoid all that now!
Old 18th March 2019, 08:52   #3172
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I had to start from Vadapalani, instead of taking the Maduravoyal or the porur route I took the Guindy, Vandalur - Oragadam and then joined near Sriperumbudur. This was longer by 10Kms I think, but timing wise it didn't make much difference. Last time it was a horrible experience via Maduravoyal with trucks all around. This route also helped to skip the first toll.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 08:52   #3173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Via Attibele, Rayakottai, Krishnagiri, Bargur, Tirupattur, Alangayam, Odugathur, Abdullapuram and Kanchi by pass to Nanganallur.
Roads leading to Tirupattur are in tatters. Heavy traffic to top it. Its not a leisure drive at all. How do you get from Rayakottai to Krishnagiri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I took the Guindy, Vandalur - Oragadam and then joined near Sriperumbudur.
Where exactly did you join NH4? Usually when I take Oragadam route, have either gone via Walajabad-Military Road and joined past Kanchipuram or via SH120 and joined at Sunguvarchatram.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:34   #3174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads leading to Tirupattur are in tatters. Heavy traffic to top it. Its not a leisure drive at all. How do you get from Rayakottai to Krishnagiri?
I have been on this route on more than 2 occasions.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-attibele-krishnagiri.jpg
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 06:28   #3175
BHPian

Planning a drive to T Nagar, Chennai this weekend. Yet to decide if it should be a hatchback or a sedan.

Route I am thinking - Sahakar Nagar > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Ambur > Kanchipuram > T Nagar

Anything specific I need to be wary of? Plan to start by 6am. Any good eat outs and coffee spots?

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:32   #3176
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Planning a drive to T Nagar, Chennai this weekend. Yet to decide if it should be a hatchback or a sedan.

Route I am thinking - Sahakar Nagar > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Ambur > Kanchipuram > T Nagar
Standard route is fine, try to start between 5-5:30am

Breakfast - Sai Sangeet on left side at Vaniyambadi about 150km from Bangalore, takes about 1.5+ hours or so to get there, will be ideal (food is nice and they have a good store also)

For another coffee break - you can stop at Murugan idly or coffee Day (don't remember if there's one on left) on the Kanchipuram bypass or further down closer to Poonamallee. Once you turn off at Poonamallee bypass, it may not be very convenient to break with more traffic all around.

Last edited by NPV : 21st March 2019 at 09:33.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 09:57   #3177
Distinguished - BHPian

So did the Bangalore return trip last weekend; while heading to Bangalore, went through Krishnagiri route; and took the Hoskote - Palamner route on the return. Loved the SH hilly drive from Palamner to Gudiyatham route; most of this was done on empty roads. The traffic from Gudiyatham to the highway was a bore, but thankfully only for ~30 minutes.

The Krishnagiri route was mostly the same; however, passage post-Hosur to Lalbagh ara was a slow laborious drive; even though I tried pushing the entry to Bangalore to post 9 pm.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:26   #3178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Planning a drive to T Nagar
For a 6am start, you'll likely be in Hosur-Krishnagiri region for breakfast. There are innumerable options in this stretch, and it is better done here. Once past Krishnagiri, I don't remember good options until Sai Sangeet (which is about KM 190), a good 60 km from the NH7-NH46 fork at Krishnagiri.

You should be entering about 1 PM ish. Google Maps itself alternates between prime Poonamalee route and Manimangalam-Mudichur route (forks out at Sriperumbudur bypass).

If you see > 10 min delays on the straight route in, take Manimangalam-Mudichur. Time taken is par or less than the straight route at traffic times.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2019, 14:03   #3179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly did you join NH4? Usually when I take Oragadam route, have either gone via Walajabad-Military Road and joined past Kanchipuram or via SH120 and joined at Sunguvarchatram.
I take right near apollo tyres, Vaipoor. We should avoid the flyover on this junction, take the service road then left (as there is no right turn) and a "U" turn in 500m.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-capture.jpg  

arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 06:00   #3180
BHPian

From Bangalore to Chennai, the route chosen was via Kolar, Palamaner, Gudiyatham, Pallikonda ,Vellore , Chennai.
Started at 5:25 am. The drive to Palamaner was a breeze. Good roads, very little traffic. From Palamaner to Gudiyatham , the conditions deteriorate. Road improvements, mainly service roads near bridges take time. And having had the road to yourself earlier makes it seem worse!
Gudiyatham to Pallikonda is a good stretch as surfaces go. An average of 50 to 55 kmph.
From Vellore to Chennai was a pleasant drive. Good roads and better restaurants along the way. Was dreading the Sriperumbudur to Anna Salai stretch where we were booked to stay but we were lucky. Around 1 pm , we did not encounter too much of traffic and were in at 2 pm.
We could have easily saved an hour had we not halted enroute. The stretch from Palamaner to Gudiyatham and a few miles beyond is scenic and interesting. Don’t look for great times though.
Two deficiencies in the selected route that come to mind along the route are the lack of a proper enroute stop for refreshment till Vellore. And the lack of traffic that could render roadside assistance if needed, difficult. With tubeless tires, a good pump should come handy for a short drive to a nearby place if raising the car on the jack is a problem. Cell phone connectivity at some portions is also not reliable. Would not,as has been already shared earlier, recommend this route at night.
For the return, plan to do Ranipet, Chittoor, Palamaner, Bangalore.As I live in Whitefield, the drive out of Bangalore to Hosur and the return is discouraging. Trying to figure the best way out for me. Attibele to Sarjapur and vice versa also has serious bottlenecks with school buses, office traffic and weekly bazaars before Varthur. lake.
ramases6 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed