Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 23:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Road-Tripping full-time in the car (i.e. living in the car)

Not sure about India as most people have mentioned, but the suggestion of coffee plantations and forest campsites is pretty good.

On a side note, check this out:

https://www.outsideonline.com/207817...rover-defender
Amsdoc is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 19:26   #32

A long road trip and living in car immediately sounds alluring. There are some serious advice in this thread which are mostly cautious, and one must sensibly agree considering Indian conditions.

Although, I haven’t had opportunity for such an adventure, however I would like to mention my experience from two short trips. First was in the year 2009, when we three friends were tripping to Ooty from Bangalore. It was a sudden plan on a long weekend in a rented car. We didn’t care to pre-book accommodation. Our bad, the whole city was full that day and we couldn’t find any room till near midnight. We knew by then that it was time to settle in car for the night. To be safe, we parked the car in parking lot of a resort and took a not so comfortable nap. Fortunately, in next morning, generous manager of the resort helped us to get a good accommodation for rest of our trip .

The second incident from later in 2014, where I was on a 2-day trip with my wife to another location. We already had pre-booked accommodation (never took the chance again ). But heck, the hotel cancelled my booking without intimation. It was festive time and we couldn’t find a decent accommodation nearby. By the evening, I decided to cut short our trip and drive back to Bangalore.

So, for me I guess safety will be key factor to consider staying in car.
Old 10th August 2020, 13:46   #33
BHPian

I'm really inspired by the idea of road tripping and over landing, ever since I saw the video of a German Gentleman

I bought a Bolero back in 2014, a humble SUV to fulfill my quest for long road trips and did cover most parts of the country from offbeat circuits in Leh Ladakh, Kanyakumari, Kerala and entire South India, North Sikkim: Gurudongmar lake, Kerang and few cross country trips as well to Bhutan and Nepal.

However, I could never do a proper over landing or sleeping in car considering the safety aspects being in India, not that I had the space or comfort available in my car . So I always stick to Airbnb's and homestays in nature, not much fond of staying in hotels since most hotels would be away from the scenic places unless it is mid-journey on the highways. I've read few blogs on overnight camping in Maharashtra by few fellow members in group but that also I believe was on private property and post approvals from friendly locals.
Shanky_1002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 22:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
I have always wanted to do a road trip for a few days, where we live in the car itself for the entire duration of the road trip and basically do all on own, including cooking food/tea. I think it will make for an experience to remember. Also, I feel it will make our bonding with our machine even stronger

2 people, a seven seater car where both rear seats fold flat (for the mattress to lay flat), a mattress, blankets, pillows, portable lights, blinds for windows, water cans, portable stove with gas cartridges, few utensils to cook and eat, important medicines, First aid kit, toiletry items, small car fridge if possible (to keep beverages/chocolates), grocery, etc.

Only issue will be morning routines (talking India-specific, where its so rare to have a campsite, unlike some developed countries). For that, after waking up, can drive to nearby fuel pump/ Fast food places, etc. Still its not practical for like 7-10 days continuously. So basically, this is the only issue that comes to my mind.

Suggestions/ comments are most welcome!

If anyone has done such an adventure, would love to hear and see their experience!

Thanks!
Exactly what you have in mind.
Been doing it since last 5 years.
Trips of 2.5k - 3k km solo without checking into any hotel.
Too lengthy to describe here, for that is a way of life.
DM me sometime.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:21   #35
BHPian

What a timing of dropping in to the thread when my solo Delhi Assam round trip is just 2 days ahead.

In Assam, I do not have any accommodation issues but I am mostly concerned about the 2 nights each on both the onward and return leg of the journey.

One fellow road junky from HVK Forum has identified a COCO BP Pump near Siliguri which looks decent for a night car camping. Have been used before by fellow travelers, so should be a good option.

I am now concerned about the night rest/ stay near Gorakhpur/ Muzzafarpur area.

Does anyone have any idea of any COCO or otherwise busy Pump or 24 hour open restaurant or similar place around these areas?

Any advise on the above would be highly appreciated.

For food; for the first day would be home cooked, for second day - some cup noodles, fruits etc, for which a cigarette lighter powered water kettle is bought and tested.

I have done long solo trips before but never have slept in the car, so a bit anxious, mostly for the safety part of it.

Car is an XUV 500. I have a total of 14 days in hand for the round trip.
Old 15th September 2021, 18:47   #36
BHPian

Me and my wife have to rest nights in our car a few times. Those were times when we had to pull off a really long drive or had been tried. Few of them here:

1. Night halt at a Dhaba in Bharuch: We had planned to do an overnight drive to reach Ahmedabad from Pune, but Mumbai traffic delayed us by 3 hours and exhausted us completely. We decided to look for a hotel in Bharuch, but couldnt find any. So we decided to sleep in the parking of a dhaba. It was very busy so we parked on one end of the parking which was quieter. That was really safe because there was a lot of movement through out the night. Spent about 5 hours there.
2. Sleeping outside Petrol Pump in Sholapur: We had to get to Pune from Hyderabad, but had work during the day so we left after Dinner. We decided we would stop wherever we felt sleepy. Just outside Sholapur, it was time to halt, so we pulled over beside a Petrol Pump and slept 6 hours straight. Woke up when the sun rose and continued to Pune.
3. Food Plaza at Pune-Mumbai Expressway: Many times during oir ond day Mumbai visits, we drive to multiple relatives in Thane and Mumbai, so the day becomes super exhausting. A few times when we have realised that driving exhausted on the highway would de dangerous, we try to pull off a few hours of sleep, wake up refreshed, have a tea and drive home.
4. Night halt on highway side at Kolad: Out of impulse we once decided to go to Kashid from Pune at 11 PM. Soon we realised it wasnt a great idea while we were through Tamhini Ghat, so we decided to stop at the most crowded place, which happened to be Old Mumbai Goa highway at Kolad. We pulled over on side of the highway, but few hours down when the car was hot, we rolled down the windows which invited mosquitoes. We had to look for a hotel for the rest of the night.

These were done with the regular seat reclined, which works for a night at most. However, there are several ways it can be made more comfortable.

1. A bed: Have atleast 6 ft of flat sleeping space. Hatchbacks where front seats dont fold down flat can even manage about 5+ feet of length. The front seats can also have a swivel base attached to reverse the seats and face backwards to make more space. Some sound isolation treatment and blackout curtains can further enhance the sleep quality. For mosquitoes, mesh curtains can be used.
2. Spot for Night Halts: Sleeping in parked vehicle outside Dhabas/Petrol pumps on highways is absolutely safe. Avoid the ones frequented by trucks and go to the family ones only. If you are travelling in not so busy places, try speaking to a hotel, tell them you will availing their restaurant services, they may let you sleep in their parking(we had done this during one of our bike camping trips). If it is extreme wilderness, you are safer than ever
3. Food: You can carry a 2kg cylinder(not the expensive butane canisters) which will last a long trip easily. But carrying ready to eat food would be convenient or you might spend a lot of time and water cooking dishes. Alternatively, you can depend on dhabas/restaurants for food unless you are in a remote place.
4. Nature's Call: You can resort to nature as long as you dont cause any harm Ofcourse thats easier said than done. I think any cheap hotel can hire out their rooms for an hour or two if you want to do your business peacefully, or you will have to find a well cleaned petrol station or restaurant/dhaba. There are portable toilets too, but emptying them is a gross subject.

I had once hired a RV(A Tata Xenon with Rooftop camper) in Meghalaya through AirBnb. The guy said we could park and stay in one of the hotels he had contacts at and use their services. However I had to cancel the trip so missed out of the experience. Maybe someday if I go back I will definitely try that out and update here.
satyabrata.dash is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks