Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2020, 04:40   #1
BHPian

Road-Tripping full-time in the car (i.e. living in the car)

I have always wanted to do a road trip for a few days, where we live in the car itself for the entire duration of the road trip and basically do all on own, including cooking food/tea. I think it will make for an experience to remember. Also, I feel it will make our bonding with our machine even stronger

2 people, a seven seater car where both rear seats fold flat (for the mattress to lay flat), a mattress, blankets, pillows, portable lights, blinds for windows, water cans, portable stove with gas cartridges, few utensils to cook and eat, important medicines, First aid kit, toiletry items, small car fridge if possible (to keep beverages/chocolates), grocery, etc.

Only issue will be morning routines (talking India-specific, where its so rare to have a campsite, unlike some developed countries). For that, after waking up, can drive to nearby fuel pump/ Fast food places, etc. Still its not practical for like 7-10 days continuously. So basically, this is the only issue that comes to my mind.

Suggestions/ comments are most welcome!

If anyone has done such an adventure, would love to hear and see their experience!

Thanks!
Mynameis is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 09:37   #2
BHPian

re: Road-Tripping full-time in the car (i.e. living in the car)

It is a bit difficult but not impossible.

I really wished concepts like Lavato had picked up, that would have been ideal. Anyhow, I guess the easiest option would be to rent a hotel room for a few hours. It doesn't cost much, may be 500 bucks or so. It goes like this, even if all rooms are reserved, not all guests arrive at the same time. So they have room to spare a room and make quick bucks. Your chances are better if you approach early morning. I have done it all the time, especially after an overnight drive.

PS: Hotels and food are so inexpensive in our country, that there is actually NO need to carry all the burden in the boot.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 4th August 2020 at 09:46.
Thermodynamics is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 09:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameis View Post
I have always wanted to do a road trip for a few days, where we live in the car itself for the entire duration of the road trip and basically do all on own, including cooking food/tea. I think it will make for an experience to remember. Also, I feel it will make our bonding with our machine even stronger
The only issue in India is safety. Local drunkards will not be able to resist extorting such campers, except for may be trekking hotspots / basecamps.

I had such a trip planned with an RV in Iceland in July, the trip had to be cancelled and I lost a lot of money.
2000rpm is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I have always wanted to do a road trip for a few days, where we live in the car itself for the entire duration of the road trip and basically do all on own, including cooking food/tea. I think it will make for an experience to remember....
Suggestions/ comments are most welcome!

If anyone has done such an adventure, would love to hear and see their experience!

Thanks!
Not exactly you are looking for (people wise) but this awesome conversion project by @Richard_R might help get you started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_R View Post
Hello hello!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-v...willys-mb.html (Overlanding India in a Willys MB)
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check out this thread and achievement of Sangeetha Sridhar, who did this by a modified Tata Hexa.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...dia-trail.html (Sangeetha Sridhar: On her 29,000 km solo trip, Clean India trail)
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 19:49   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Road-Tripping full-time in the car (i.e. living in the car)

Not my scene at all! Reasons:

- Blame it on age or whatever, but after a day behind the wheel, I need a soft + cosy bed at night. Sleeping in the car isn't my scene.

- Safety is the biggest problem! I wouldn't feel safe for myself nor my family. Best case, you get robbed. Worst case is, well...

With OYO, MakeMyTrip & AirBnb, you can get a room cheap, so I don't see the sense. A room would be a good break too. In fact, spending too much time in the car could make you tired of it.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 20:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

It is hard to imagine just being inside the car - running or otherwise. I can do about 10-11 hours, but beyond that, i definitely need a cozy place to go horizontal.

Even if you figure out the mechanism for the morning routines, what i will worry about is how the cabin smells after a couple of days, especially, if you plan to cook, eat and sleep inside the car itself for days on end.
jkrishnakj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 20:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
Friends of mine had a Tata Safari with a similar setup. This was nearly a decade ago. They used to go on long weekend - week long holidays to forest reserves and other tourist locations across the country. Both husband and wife used to drive, so on long rides, the other one slept in the rear using the sleeping bag when needed.

At places where they had to halt for the night in the car, they used to do that as you are planning, in the car using sleeping bags. But to my limited knowledge, the sleeping in the car was an optional / last resort; hotels and hoardings were their preferred option.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 20:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

If ever you do end up sleeping inside the car, remember to turn off the Re circulation mode of the AC. So you don’t inadvertently suffocate from lack of oxygen breathing stale air. Has happened and I lost someone I knew.
Red Liner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 22:05   #10
BHPian

Very meaningful replies here.

Personally for me, safety will not be an issue since we will be just two men (Btw my friend is a hodophile and always ready for something adventurous!), whenever we intend do such a trip. But yes, with a girl/wife/family, safety issue will definitely be there and perhaps becomes the main reason whether to do it or not. Also, more than 2 people in a single car, may be impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
PS: Hotels and food are so inexpensive in our country, that there is actually NO need to carry all the burden in the boot.
Expense, I guess, is not much of a relevance in this case, since it will be done basically to get the feel Without doubt, cooked food, and hotels are so much more convenient. But the very purpose to do this way will be to have an experience to remember. Yes, ten days will be a bit too much, but 2-3 days should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It is hard to imagine just being inside the car - running or otherwise. I can do about 10-11 hours, but beyond that, i definitely need a cozy place to go horizontal.
Even if you figure out the mechanism for the morning routines, what i will worry about is how the cabin smells...
For the car smell part, I do not think its much of an issue with a slight care. Unless, one makes his car a bin! Also one gets kind of used to, to the smell.
Small volume of car from inside, open windows and thereafter 30 minutes of AC in recirculation mode, I think these things should take care of the smell. But yes, these are personal tastes and I completely respect your opinion.

The idea of using hotels in the morning for a few hours, as mentioned by Thermodynamics Sir, is a very good one. Will add a lot to the convenience. Even if used on a daily basis, will not be much costly. 3500-4000 for a week of morning freshness, including shower (and may be breakfast some days) is not bad, considering its a far hygienic/convenient option than using washrooms at fuel station/fast food places. Also, not sure if shower facility is there at such places.

All in all, in our country, there are definitely a few challenges. Perhaps I need to stop seeing those youtube videos from the US and Europe, and live with the reality .
Mynameis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 23:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

If you are interested in road tripping, drop the idea of cooking yourself on the road. If I'd told such a thing to my wife, she'd file for divorce

Accommodation is really cheap if you stay in tier 3 or 4 towns. Just to give an idea, couple of years back an overnight stay in Muthupettai costed us 500 INR for single NonAC and 1200 for double AC with extra bed. Small hotels even offer rooms for a few hours in day (not overnight), have used some when I went for interviews to other towns. You can't parking in such places. And these mostly happen walk-in and you can't expect to find this in aggregation or even hotel sites.

Sleeping in car is ok for 1-2 day long haul, impractical if you are looking at a 2 week or more long trip.

Some COCOs have place where you can refresh yourself.

Have done 4000 km run over 10 days in 2017 and 8000 km run in 17 days (both with family). Preserving your body over such long trips is an important aspect. I don't speed much (90-100 at most) choose a hotel so I get the required rest. Even with this, one of the days in the 17-day trip we dropped most of the programs for the day and just lazed around at the hotel.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 00:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If ever you do end up sleeping inside the car, remember to turn off the Re circulation mode of the AC. So you don’t inadvertently suffocate from lack of oxygen breathing stale air. Has happened and I lost someone I knew.
Also, it is never a good idea to sleep with engine ON because of inherent danger of inhaling carbon monoxide, a silent killer. I know we all love to sleep with AC ON. May be we can do so if at least one person is awake while others sleep. It is also a good idea to roll down glasses a little. The flipside though are vulnerability and mosquitoes.
Thermodynamics is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 09:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Small hotels even offer rooms for a few hours in day (not overnight),
I would suggest caution with this. Hotels/Motels offering rooms for rent on an hourly basis are susceptible to police raids.For ummm.... reasons.
Old 5th August 2020, 10:38   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting idea !

Just the other day I saw this Isuzu V Cross in Gurgaon and was wondering how good it would be own a car which lets you sleep in comfort when you are not in the mood to drive. Just park it at a safe spot and stretch your legs for a quick nap.

Road-Tripping full-time in the car (i.e. living in the car)-img_20200726_13192601.jpeg
//M is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 11:32   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I would suggest caution with this. Hotels/Motels offering rooms for rent on an hourly basis are susceptible to police raids.For ummm.... reasons.
True, but not always the case. There are quite a few small lodges that do this and for perfectly legit reasons. Especially in smaller temple towns where people travel overnight just to visit a temple and head back home by the night train/bus on the same day. In such places, quite a few lodges make money renting rooms hourly to families just looking to wash up and change before going to the temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Just the other day I saw this Isuzu V Cross in Gurgaon and was wondering how good it would be own a car which lets you sleep in comfort when you are not in the mood to drive.
The downside is you will be severely restricted by road widths you'll need to maneuver such a vehicle. And some of the most interesting destinations in our country have very narrow roads!

When it comes to travel in our country, IMHO, if you have the time the best way to really see our country is by Indian Railways and public transport (my wife and I used these extensively when we took a year off to travel around the country). Second best is by bike. Both require loads of time and patience, but the out of the way places you get to see are worth it!

Last edited by am1m : 5th August 2020 at 11:40.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks