Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:20   #1

Mumbai to Jammu route query

Hi friends, I plan to do a road trip from Mumbai to Jammu by 15th Feb 2021. My wife and my little pug - Copper - would join the trip. Though we have undertaken several such long trips to different destinations else where, Google couldn't help us this time with a proper or the right road map with definitive directions as well as pet friendly hotels on our way.

As a rule, we do not drive in the night, since the car and I are quite old and needs rest.

Would request Team BHP members to kindly advise the right route, decent pet friendly hotels, and of course your valuable advises for a safe journey

Regards
Old 4th January 2021, 00:38   #2
BHPian

re: Mumbai to Jammu route query

Depending on your appetite, speed this can be done in 3 days. I would recommend Ahmedabad, Delhi be the pit stops.

Based on your speeds Surat, Baroda, Udaipur, Jaipur, Ambala, Jalandhar can be other pitstops that you can consider.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th January 2021 at 07:59. Reason: Typos, SMS lingo.
amit_arya is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 4th January 2021, 02:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Option 1: Mumbai - Ahmedabad- Mahesana -Palanpur - Beawar - Jaipur - Western peripheral expressway - Panipat - Pathankot - Jammu.

All national highway except Ahmedabad - Beawar which is state highway road in Gujarat and Rajasthan. Very good road. This will bypass the Udaipur bad patches and the ghat areas.

I did this road in Oct. 2020 and roads are very good.

Option 2: Mumbai - Ahmedabad- Mahesana - Jodhpur - Hanumangarh - Amritsar - Pathakot - Jammu.

State highway from Ahmedabad onwards. Good roads and less tolls. Facilities are limited, but I guess during Covid, you will anyway want minimum stops.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 4th January 2021 at 02:55.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 21:48   #4

Thank you so much friends for the quick responses. Now, I will explore more from the suggested routes. I am sure there are decent pet friendly hotels enroute.
Warm regards
Isaac Joseph
iviv.joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 07:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviv.joseph View Post
Thank you so much friends for the quick responses. Now, I will explore more from the suggested routes. I am sure there are decent pet friendly hotels enroute.
Warm regards
Isaac Joseph
This will be your issue. Try checking airbnb for homestays as they have pet friendly options in some cases.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 09:51   #6
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Jammu route query

Quote:
I am sure there are decent pet friendly hotels enroute.
Stating the obvious here, but I hope your best friend is used to long drives. A quick google shows Mumbai-Jammu is a 1949 KM / 35 hour travel time journey. How does your best buddy behave inside the car for say 3-4 hour drive?
Old 5th January 2021, 11:59   #7

Thanks for further details. Copper, the pug is fully trained and is acquainted with long journeys. He needs an AC blower pointed constantly to his head. He is otherwise toilet trained and raises his right hand whenever he needs a stop. He is happy traveling, occasionally visiting us in the front row.

As suggested by you, I will explore home stays on the way. The distance being approximately 2000 Km, I have plans to cover it in three days - 650 km a day. Now I will have to plan and schedule halts suitably.

Thanks for the input.
iviv.joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 17:25   #8
BHPian

Mod note: Posted edite, Dotty post, please avoid... typing... like this... Also leaveing a paragraph break/speace helps with readability. Thanks!

Awesome to see this post.My wishes for you to have a great drive sir.
Quote:
The distance being approximately 2000 Km, I have plans to cover it in three days - 650 km a day. Now I will have to plan and schedule halts suitably.

Thanks for the input.
Are you driving an automatic transmission or manual? While 650 KM/per day is doable in an automatic, manual transmission, will be bit of a stretch. Would suggest to plan for 4 days with sufficient rest.

Please remember the elevation change and the impact of that on your body.

Even professional drivers do only 300 to 500 km per day ( referring to long distance inter-city busses), if your companion can drive then you can think of doing 600+ per day. Otherwise, please reconsider your schedule.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2021 at 18:22.
Old 26th November 2021, 11:44   #9

Hi Iviv,

Hope your trip went well, how was your experience?

I am planning similar trip(Pune to Amritsar),so would love to hear from your experience and any other valuable pointers

Also from the BHP team , if anyone can suggest en-route details who may have travelled recently it would be of great help.

Thanks,
Abhi
abhi1176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 17:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1176 View Post
I am planning similar trip(Pune to Amritsar),so would love to hear from your experience and any other valuable pointers
I would like to +1 to Abhi's query, since I am planning a return from Chandigarh/Amritsar to Mumbai in Feb 2022. My final itinerary is still in works for the return, and inputs from fellow members will be much appreciated.

Of this route, my specific interest is on the Amritsar/Chandigarh to Jodhpur section, as I have to stop in Jodhpur on the return.

Some specific queries below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

Option 2: Mumbai - Ahmedabad- Mahesana - Jodhpur - Hanumangarh - Amritsar - Pathakot - Jammu.

State highway from Ahmedabad onwards. Good roads and less tolls. Facilities are limited, but I guess during Covid, you will anyway want minimum stops.
Hi ruzbehxyz,

Thanks for this note.
Google maps shows me 3 routes between Amritsar & Jodhpur:
1) Amritsar - Faridkot - Bathinda - Hanumangarh - Ratangarh - Nagaur - Jodhpur
2) Amritsar - Faridkot - Bathinda - Hanumangarh - Bikaner- Nagaur - Jodhpur

The main difference that I can make out is that Hanumangarh to Nagaur can be done via SH mainly in option 1, while its NH for option 2 (and I remember good roads driving Bikaner to Jodhpur, but that was 8 years ago)

3) Amritsar - Barnala - Hisar - Churu - Nagaur - Jodhpur
This route shares the same route as Chandigarh to Jodhpur from Hisar onwards. As per Google maps, its 40 kms longer, but time is near about the same. I expect the roads from Hisar to Jodhpur to be good based on what I have read on TBHP and insights from other folks.
This will be my primary route if my return is from Chandigarh, though am trying to be in Amritsar as I have never visited the city. (I digress now, apologies!)

Quote:
As suggested by you, I will explore home stays on the way. The distance being approximately 2000 Km, I have plans to cover it in three days - 650 km a day. Now I will have to plan and schedule halts suitably.
Hi Iviv,

Please do share your insights from the journey, and the specific route taken.
Will be very helpful for all of us.

Cheers!
Old 30th November 2021, 22:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-RNS View Post
I
Of this route, my specific interest is on the Amritsar/Chandigarh to Jodhpur section, as I have to stop in Jodhpur on the return….
2) Amritsar - Faridkot - Bathinda - Hanumangarh - Bikaner- Nagaur - Jodhpur
Cheers!
Hi, I will advise you to stick to option number 2 since I took the Sujangarh route last month for my Pune - Abohar(PB) trip and it’s not well maintained despite tolls(cash).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1176 View Post
Hi
Also from the BHP team , if anyone can suggest en-route details who may have
Hi Abhi, I recently did a Srinagar- Abohar(PB) trip 10 days ago and will return to Pune via Bikaner- Jodhpur- MountAbu- Ahmedabad- Mumbai- Pune. I will update accordingly.

I used NH54 from Pathankot till Jira via Amritsar and it’s a well laid route especially after Amritsar. Hopefully it will be same till Hanumangarh.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 08:58   #12

Hi,

I am planning to do this journey to Jammu in November or December. Any thoughts on road condition and route suggestions ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks