Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2021, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Lodging for domestic help during travel?

Hey guys,
I have a question and I hope you will not judge me on this.

I am travelling India now days and setup my base in different cities. We work on weekdays and every weekend I travel to various places.
I do have a 2 year old son and a nanny is travelling along with us to take care of him during weekdays.

Every weekend when we go out, we take her along (Not to take care of baby but so that she can also enjoy travelling). So far if I had breakfast at Westin, we also included her.
I’ve enquired with almost all 1 to 5 star hotels too but no one has dorm for female staff. Some of them have arrangements for drivers but not for females. Apparently I was never keen on exploring shared accommodation too due to COVID precautions.

Now we are heading out for 10 days to Srinagar / Patnitop / Sonmarg and if I take her along this would shoot my budget. I will have to spend around 15K on her stay and food.

It’s not that I can’t afford 15000 but it’s about how much I want to spend.

The options which I explored before posting here
  1. Leave her at base (A long term flat which we had rented in the city)
    • Positive
    • I would be able to save handsome amount of money.
    • Negative
    • Not sure if she would like to stay alone in a new city.
  2. Take her along but instead of booking hotels, try looking for budget options like AirBnB.
    • Positive
    • Can get a full house on the cost of hotel. My spending will be capped.
    • Privacy for both parties.
    • Negative
    • Unsure about AirBnB safety protocols.
    • Often their location gives surprises (read shock) when you actually reach the destination. Most of the properties are situated far from city hustle and bustle.
    • Not sufficient reviews and photos to evaluate owner and property.
  3. Take her along and book a budget hotel. Accommodate her in same room. The luxury hotels charge atrociously for 3rd occupant.
    • Positive
    • Better hospitality then staying in AirBnb.
    • Negative
    • Unsure about their COVID safety protocols.
    • Budget hotel parking may not be safe. I can only figure it out after reaching there.
    • Compromised privacy for 10 days.
    • Charges are still higher but lesser than luxury hotels.

I need your help to understand where can I cut the costs? Is there any other better option? Can you recommend me a good budget place to stay in Srinagar? What alternative arrangements I can make for her?
Thanks
dicor is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 16:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Lodging for domestic help during travel?

Prefer to book a big suite which has a provision for a large couch.

Or

You may also carry a sleeping bag, most good hotel floors in the room are either wooden or have good carpet. Sleeping on it should be okay if the kid's caretaker is okay with it.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 16:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

It appears that there is a huge issue by not having the helping hand around.

I would look for Full homes/Apartments at AirBnB. Maybe also take Two rooms if it’s a three star hotel.

If it’s the Westin/Sheraton types, they have ‘service apartment’ style rooms that can accommodate all of You at nominal higher charges.

Leaving her alone in a new city in budget hotels isn’t a great idea. You don’t want to be holidaying someplace over the weekend worrying about her safety and well-being.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 16:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
I hope you will not judge me on this.
I am travelling India now days and a nanny is travelling along with
Now we are heading out for 10 days to Srinagar / Patnitop / Sonmarg I will have to spend around 15K on her stay and food.
I can understand your predicament but if I were you and don't want to spend extra money for whatever reasons, will instead shorten the trip/ destinations or choose little less luxury hotels & save but will get her an extra room in the same hotel for her comfort/ privacy besides my convenience.

Alternatively, if you don't want to compromise on the length/ destinations, best will be to research more on B&B or budget friendly hotels from known chains. There will be enough examples if you dig a little deeper.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th March 2021 at 16:25.
Turbanator is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 16:29   #5
BHPian

Based on your description, the AirBnb option appears to be the best middle ground. Granted that we don't have many reviews for places, but, renting an entire place might solve multiple issues. Finding places with at least two bed-rooms would help.

To address safety protocols related concern, negotiate and see if your nanny might be willing to take on additional sanitation at the property that you rent out for some additional wages. It would keep all of you safe, including her.

Given the current situation, this might be the safest option for all of you.

Take care and stay safe.
FlashMustang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:12   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lodging for domestic help during travel?

Quote:
Now we are heading out for 10 days to Srinagar / Patnitop / Sonmarg and if I take her along this would shoot my budget. I will have to spend around 15K on her stay and food.
We frequently travel with house help and this is the option I'd choose. Holidays are meant for indulgence and if 1500 bucks / day makes things more easy & convenient, so be it .

Cut costs in your regular life at home, but splurge a bit for luxury on holidays.

Option 2 : Book a nice, luxurious Airbnb bungalow for everyone (including yourself). I love my 5-star hotels, but I'm also a big fan of renting luxurious bungalows.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2021 at 08:14.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Either get a large 1BR hotel with a separate master bedroom (Club Mahindra has these) or an Airbnb.

Adjusting in a budget hotel may be okay for a night or two, but your family needs privacy for 10 days. At the end of the day - vacations are for enjoying & having a good time.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 09:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

Not very different from what others have already proposed:

Option 1: Look for a Suite in the hotel of your choice, and she can take the couch/sofabed. Most Suites have two bathrooms (one in the main bedroom and one in the "hall"), so works out well

Option 2: Stay in the hotel of your choice and book her the entry level room

Option 3: Book a house/bungalow through Airbnb so you have no constraint of space

Option 4 (but one that might not be for you): stay in the hotel of your choice but book her in a budget hotel nearby

Most 5* today do have dorms but they're for drivers (almost always male) so comfort can be an issue for her.

Going by your post, it doesn't seem like you are too sensitive towards the budget and also treat her as equal as it can get () so a solution should definitely work out. We've seen enough families on holidays where the parents are busy in their own world and have completely offloaded the kids' duties to the nanny. Some include the nanny in everything they do while most make their place in the family very evident. Your post is refreshing.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 11:43   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for your suggestions. Based on your inputs and little bit my research, I have shortlisted two options
  • Try to get AirBnB. Srinagar has some kind of shortage with AirBNbs (with dedicated kitchen and enough reviews)
  • Leave her at my base location Chandigarh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You may also carry a sleeping bag, most good hotel floors in the room are either wooden or have good carpet. Sleeping on it should be okay if the kid's caretaker is okay with it.
Sounds like a plan, so if she carry her own bedding, will hotel not charge anything additional? Technically they are not doing anything over and above for our stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We frequently travel with house help and this is the option I'd choose. Holidays are meant for indulgence and if 1500 bucks / day makes things more easy & convenient, so be it .
Ha ha, thanks for making it less complicated by producing cost-breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Going by your post, it doesn't seem like you are too sensitive towards the budget and also treat her as equal as it can get () so a solution should definitely work out. We've seen enough families on holidays where the parents are busy in their own world and have completely offloaded the kids' duties to the nanny. Some include the nanny in everything they do while most make their place in the family very evident. Your post is refreshing.
Yes right, I want to treat her equally. This time I am on tight on my budget. I am roaming around the country from last 4 months and equally involving her so I have no guilt if I do not include her this time. The only concern for me is about her safety if I leave her at base location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
It appears that there is a huge issue by not having the helping hand around.
Not really, During travelling, son anyways stick to his mom or me. I can definitely manage without her. So far I have always taken her because she also loves to travel and all I am doing is to make her celebrate work. She is more active than me in her insta and whatsapp stories.
Old 16th March 2021, 11:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sounds like a plan, so if she carry her own bedding, will hotel not charge anything additional?
By sleeping bag, I meant, something like Quechua / Decathlon make. Bedding would be too troublesome to carry, sleeping bag will be convenient & discreet.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:32   #11
BHPian

You are being too generous or your priorities are not in order. Do you want a third wheel? Would you like a third person in your room while vacationing. Will both of you feel comfortable sleeping with a third person in the same room in of all the places, Kashmir? If you can handle your child on your own then let her be at the flat or send her to her house for a week to replenish her energy.

Now, do you want someone exclusively to attend to your child while you both go out without any second thought, then yes you need a nanny. Get her a separate room or get a houseboat, there are plenty and some are gorgeous else book a suite. No need to carry any sleeping bag, every hotel provides extra bedding on request(charges applicable).
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 16:27   #12
BHPian

In automotive parlance, I think you would like the comfort of a BMW wherever you go, but is not willing to pay for the maintenance. However, a nanny is just like any of us. A human being, plain and simple!

It is very appreciated that you go well and beyond for taking your time and effort to ask this in team-bhp and from your replies it seems you are well intentioned and also choosing safety for your nanny.

I personally think you should book yourselves and your nanny in the same star hotel, you would like to stay in and just a few nights your kid can sleep in the room of nanny (also gives you guys some privacy) and takes loneliness off your nanny. This also takes the financial guilt off your mind for spending the extra buck for your nanny, as your kid is there too in safe hands for the night.

If it is a vacation for relaxing, then that should be it as GTO mentioned. Enjoy!
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 16:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

When our kids were err well kids we too did take our maid along on our vacations whether by road, rail or air. As carthick1000 suggested she simply stayed with us in the same hotel in the typical adjoining rooms with a common door. The intention being maid and Bacchha party in one bedroom and self and wife in the other. Or at least such was the intention. Invariably the kids had other plans. Kids would insist on crawling into Momma's bed, so maid also moved in there and I used to sleep alone in the other hotel room.
V.Narayan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 01:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every weekend when we go out, we take her along (Not to take care of baby but so that she can also enjoy travelling). So far if I had breakfast at Westin, we also included her.
Just dropped in to say that it's rare to find this ethos. Kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We frequently travel with house help and this is the option I'd choose.
Thank you for using the right term. IMHO it goes a long way in ensuring respect and dignity.
v1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,
Every weekend when we go out, we take her along (Not to take care of baby but so that she can also enjoy travelling).
I assume you can take care of your baby and the reason you wanted to take your house help so that she can also enjoy travelling. I would suggest to talk to her.

If she prefers taking a break/leave for those few days and travel to her native let her do that. In case you are worried about COVID, get her RT-PCR done once she returns.

If she prefers travelling, then go for a large AirBnB or a Suite room as suggested by fellow members.
subhro1988 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks