Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 17:20   #211
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Hyderabad -> Bhootpur -> Mehboobnagar -> Raichur -> Sindhanur -> Gangavathi -> Bukkasagara -> Hampi.

Most of the Mehboobnagar - KA/TS border road has been expanded to three lanes or work in progress. But not the kind of WIP that'll screw your drive.

Please avoid the route via Gadwal. TS/KA Border - Raichur route has crater size potholes. Somehow speed-breakers have survived the rains and are still standing tall!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I just finished my first road trip i.e. from Hyderabad to Hampi from Aug 12th-14th.
Just wanted to share the following information i.e.
1) I followed the default route that google maps suggested. The link is "https://goo.gl/maps/JeWqiVDopAJ2". This seems to be a new route. I started by 6:30 am and was at my destination by 2:00 pm. The network can get patchy at times. Hence makes sense to download the route map.
2) The roads were quite good and the traffic was sparse to moderate. The only stretch that takes time is Gangavathi to Hospet due to narrow roads.
3) I stayed at the Royal Orchid and would highly recommend this hotel.
6) The route taken to cover all the points in Hampi is pretty straight forward. The tourist guide can be hired for Vittala and Virupaksha temples only.
Thanks for the pointers! I'll be taking the same route from Gachibowli on 30th September and will be staying at Royal Orchid at Hosapete. Hope the parking is good at the hotel. Will lookout for M-food court en route.

Will update the route info once I'm back.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 30th August 2017 at 17:22.
Old 26th October 2017, 09:53   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Thanks for the pointers! I'll be taking the same route from Gachibowli on 30th September and will be staying at Royal Orchid at Hosapete. Hope the parking is good at the hotel. Will lookout for M-food court en route.

Will update the route info once I'm back.
Hi Dheepak,

Did you go on this trip?

Any update on the route and the road conditions after the onslaught from the recent rains? We are planning to drive down to Hampi during the 3rd weekend of Nov.
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2017, 13:54   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Hi Dheepak,

Did you go on this trip?

Any update on the route and the road conditions after the onslaught from the recent rains? We are planning to drive down to Hampi during the 3rd weekend of Nov.
Hi,

Yes we did this trip via the Google indicated route - bhootpur - Raichur - Gangavathi - Kampli - Hospet.

The route is pretty bad and the recent rains have battered it further. There are parts of road missing with only gravel present, especially near Sindhanur.
Also there is a road less route suggested near Kampli.

Better to avoid this and try the route via Kurnool - Bellary - Hospet.

The stay in Royal orchid central at Hospet was very pleasant.
dheepak10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 13:16   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Yes we did this trip via the Google indicated route - bhootpur - Raichur - Gangavathi - Kampli - Hospet.

The route is pretty bad and the recent rains have battered it further. There are parts of road missing with only gravel present, especially near Sindhanur.
Also there is a road less route suggested near Kampli.

Better to avoid this and try the route via Kurnool - Bellary - Hospet.

The stay in Royal orchid central at Hospet was very pleasant.
Thanks a lot for the update, Dheepak.

The route that Google shows for me doesn't include the Kampli section since our place of stay is on the other side of the river. This is the exact route which is suggests with a driving time of around 7.5 hrs.

Google Maps route

Though the Kurnool-Bellary route you suggested should definitely be better in terms of road conditions, it's longer by 70 odd kms and Google maps show a driving time of additional 1 hr. Do you think it would be wise to still take the longer route, considering we are planning to stay on the other side of the river? We would be 4 adults and a 3 year old kid in a Chevy Beat.
Old 29th October 2017, 22:26   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

This route was fantastic when i did the travel in August. Surprising to note that how this degradation happened in such a short span of time.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 22:40   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Though the Kurnool-Bellary route you suggested should definitely be better in terms of road conditions, it's longer by 70 odd kms and Google maps show a driving time of additional 1 hr. Do you think it would be wise to still take the longer route, considering we are planning to stay on the other side of the river? We would be 4 adults and a 3 year old kid in a Chevy Beat.
I would still suggest to try the alternative route as I'm sure the road work will not be over in such a short span.
But if you think the time difference is significant then you can go via this route for the onward journey and try the Kurnool route for return journey.

Quote:
This route was fantastic when i did the travel in August. Surprising to note that how this degradation happened in such a short span of time.
Typical Indian roads . There's no warranty clause for contractors I guess
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 21:35   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Yes - surprising to know this route has become so bad. I traveled this route July 2017 while travelling to South Goa; it was quite good.

However, if there is no time constraint and hotel is at south of Tungabhadra, its more convenient to travel through Gooty - Bellary
Old 13th November 2017, 08:02   #218
BHPian

Just did the Hampi drive and back to Hyderabad over the weekend. Took the Google suggested route to our guest house which was on the "Hippie" side of the river. The route taken was:
Gachibowli > ORR to Bangalore Highway > Exit highway from Jadcherla > Mahabubnagar > Raichur > Sindhanur > Gangavathi > Guest House

Overall the road conditions are OK to good, with some really nice strips, and short bad patches here and there. Most of the main towns on the way can get really busy with especially bike traffic. Have to be a bit cautious while navigating the towns since people give absolutely no respect to you honking and it's best to drive very defensively. There are also speedbreakers (unmarked) spread across this entire stretch, so do keep a keen eye and best option is to avoid a night drive.

There are some patches around Devarkadra and Marikal where the entire road is being relaid and hence is battered out. Sindhanur-Raichur strip was a breeze. Time to Hampi from home at Nallagandala took 7:45 (including 15 mins breakfast break and 30 mins lunch break). And while returning, took 8 hours (including a 40 mins lunch break). This entire stretch has almost zero decent dining options apart from the small typical truck-style dhabas. It's best to pack your food and snacks and drive, which is exactly what we did. There are enough fuel stations on the way.

We stayed at Mowgli Guesthouse. The rooms are decent but very basic. We booked it a bit close to the date, so ended up paying 2K for a room for a night which is very high for what you get, but if you book in advance, you should get it at around 1K. Food is great all over Hampi.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 21:36   #219

Hi guys, Planning to have a trip down to Humpi from Hyderabad. Any suggestion on latest route options please ?
Old 5th February 2018, 11:13   #220
BHPian

I drove from Hyderabad to Hampi last week and here is an update.

Route and road condition:
I took the Hyderabad-Bhootpur-Mahabubnagar-Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati-Kamalapur (Hampi) for onward journey. I would agree with Jayded (13thNov post) regarding the road conditions.
Rough patches, many speed-breakers, narrow roads, many small towns with directionless traffic, etc. But it is quite drivable - just needs some caution.

Now the return journey I deliberately took a long route just to see how the roads are. I took Kamalapur-Hospet-Bellary-Gooty-Kurnool-Hyderabad. This added another 80km to the other route. But the problem is not the distance, it was the road conditions. The road conditions is almost as as bad (or as as good as) the other route. From some of the posts, it sounded like the route is far better than the Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati route, but it is not. At best it is slightly, marginally better. Another downside of the Bellary route is that the route is barren (against the scenic route of Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati) and there are couple of large factories (JSW, ACC) in Bellary area with heavy truck traffic. There are also hardly any food joints.

I recommend the Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati route to reach Hampi without any doubt.

Stay and Eat at Hampi
I stayed at KSTDC run hotel at Kamalapur which is south of Tungabhadra and rather close to the important monuments. Please note that many small hotels and lodges which existed right infront of Visupasha Temple have been demolished by the Authorities as they are illegal. So do not go by old travelogues which suggest places infron of Virupaksha temple.
For food I also tried Green Lands, apart from the restaurant attached to the KSTDC hotel. Green Lands is nice because it is inside a garden with a shack like rustic appearance and food was decent (only vegetarian).

Sight Seeing
I hired a guide for a whole day and could complete all the attractions south of Tungabhadra within a day (8:30 AM to 4:30PM) and I was very satisfied and happy. I also watched the Lunar eclipse from my hotel that evening.
Net day I went to the North of river on my own. I went to Durga Temple, Sugriva's cave, Anjanadri, Pampa Sarovar and Sanapur lake. I would say I was not completely happy. EXcept perhaps the Anjanadri hill (500 odd steps) which offered a stunnoing 360° view from the top. Sanapur lake is a big disappointment after a rough drive.

The photographs taken by me can be seen at my flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kasi67...57692216205974
SKavuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 17:04   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
I took the Hyderabad-Bhootpur-Mahabubnagar-Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati-Kamalapur (Hampi) for onward journey.
Not sure if you took the bridge recently constructed over the river near Anegundi. That helps cut the distance a lot.

Quote:
Now the return journey I deliberately took a long route just to see how the roads are. I took Kamalapur-Hospet-Bellary-Gooty-Kurnool-Hyderabad. This added another 80km to the other route.
You dont have to go all the way to Hospet. From Kamlapur, there is road which goes via JLR property and cuts the Hospet Bellary highway right in between. This is the link I am referring to: Route Link

Quote:
I stayed at KSTDC run hotel at Kamalapur which is south of Tungabhadra and rather close to the important monuments.
Quote:
For food I also tried Green Lands, apart from the restaurant attached to the KSTDC hotel. Green Lands is nice because it is inside a garden with a shack like rustic appearance and food was decent (only vegetarian).
Kamlapur also has a Clarks Inn (Hubli Chain) which I remember seeing last August. One can also use that to plan for stay. I assume it should be a decent place.

Quote:
Please note that many small hotels and lodges which existed right infront of Visupasha Temple have been demolished by the Authorities as they are illegal. So do not go by old travelogues which suggest places infron of Virupaksha temple.
Thanks. This is good to note. There used to be a lot houses/ one room rented places near the temple some time back.

Quote:
Next day I went to the North of river on my own. I went to Durga Temple, Sugriva's cave, Anjanadri, Pampa Sarovar and Sanapur lake. I would say I was not completely happy. EXcept perhaps the Anjanadri hill (500 odd steps) which offered a stunnoing 360° view from the top. Sanapur lake is a big disappointment after a rough drive.
This is quite possible depending on the season. Its too dry. Also most of these become pilgrimage destinations and hence crowd builds up.

In August with mild rains, views around the Anjanadri hill was stunning! (Click on the image to see it in full)

Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-can_7dii_2017_08_05_0287pano_lr.jpg
Old 5th February 2018, 20:48   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure if you took the bridge recently constructed over the river near Anegundi. That helps cut the distance a lot.
I indeed took the new bridge and loved the road. Newly carpeted, winding road with lush green fields on both sides. It is only two lanes but very little traffic.

Quote:
You dont have to go all the way to Hospet. From Kamlapur, there is road which goes via JLR property and cuts the Hospet Bellary highway right in between. This is the link I am referring to: Route Link
I knew this shortcut but deliberately took the Hosepete route, as I was not aware of how good the road was and also I wanted to have some breakfast at Hosepete. Also I need not have to go up to Gooty to hit the highway, I could have gone via Alur and saved some distance. I did it deliberately.

Quote:
Kamlapur also has a Clarks Inn (Hubli Chain) which I remember seeing last August. One can also use that to plan for stay. I assume it should be a decent place.
Yes, Kamalapur also has Clarks Inn and it looks decent from outside. I prefered KSTDC hotel for the lovely gardens, quiet place and a huge parking lot. I stayed at KSTDC hotel when I visited Badami few days ago. In fact there is a Clarks Inn at Badami also!!'

Quote:
This is quite possible depending on the season. Its too dry. Also most of these become pilgrimage destinations and hence crowd builds up.
In August with mild rains, views around the Anjanadri hill was stunning!
The crowds were not there, perhaps because it was right after a long weekend. It was not because of crowds. I felt the places on north were just normal sort of places which you can find anywhere and nothing special. Except, of course, Anjanadri, which, as I mentioned was stunning for the view it gave. There is a picture in my album in the link I gave too.

@ ampere (Off Topic) : I tried picking up lines from your post and answer them point by point like you did using Quote+ but could not succeed. Is there any other way?

Last edited by ampere : 5th February 2018 at 21:11. Reason: Formatted with quoted posts
SKavuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 21:15   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKavuri View Post
Except, of course, Anjanadri, which, as I mentioned was stunning for the view it gave. There is a picture in my album in the link I gave too.
There is one more place. Navabrindavan. Its very nice too. Its a small island beyond Anegundi.

Amazing pictures in your album!

Quote:
@ ampere (Off Topic) : I tried picking up lines from your post and answer them point by point like you did using Quote+ but could not succeed. Is there any other way?
I fixed your previous post. Here is a reference on how to quote and multi-quote. (Hope this helps)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:33   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is one more place. Navabrindavan. Its very nice too. Its a small island beyond Anegundi.

Amazing pictures in your album!

I fixed your previous post. Here is a reference on how to quote and multi-quote. (Hope this helps)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)

Dear Ampere ji,

How is this route from Hyderabad to Hampi via Ballary?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/17.3...350132!3e0!5i1
Old 5th May 2019, 21:21   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
.......... In Hampi we are staying at a Rajasthani resort called Vijayshree Resorts. Did some research and also took the advice of my brother-in-law who had stayed with his family sometime ago......- Krishnan
We have a booking at Vijayshree Resorts through Club Mahindra. Since it is an associate property of Club Mahindra, I am somewhat wary regarding the quality of the hospitality. Hence, I am interested in knowing your experience at the resort even though its been years since you stayed there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks