Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 12:27   #421
BHPian

re: Planning for Goa, where to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Guys, We would be in Goa the whole of next week! .
We would be staying at 'beleza by the beach' in south Goa for the first 3 days!
We plan to go on a tour of south Goa on one of the days! I do a lot of photography and what are the most photogenic and not to miss churches and other places in south Goa?
South Goa is comparatively unexplored as compared to the North. If you are keen to capture some good moments in your lens, some of the suggested places are:
1. Benaulim/Varca/ Chinchinim church
2. Agonda
3. Cabo re Rama
4. Palolem beach
You can try interiors in the south (Hilly western ghat region at)
1. Dudhsagar waterfall
2. Netravali waterfall (trekking for 40 mins)
3. Salailim Dam/garden

There are countless other places to explore, your hotel staff may guide you with regards to places in and around Colva.
a_myth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 10:38   #422
Senior - BHPian

For a change, I got this opportunity to stay in a resort in Goa.

2 of my friends and I booked a room Beleza By The Beach in Betalbatim. My friend who did the booking, said the price shown for 3 people was different in different online travel booking sites. One site actually showed a price twice as much as another site. Obviously, he booked from whichever site that showed least price.

The rooms are decent. Each block is like a house. There is a kitchen, hall with AC, and 3 bedrooms. What you get is one bedroom. Anyone can access kitchen and hall. You get a key to your room plus a key to main door.

Rooms are spacious. 3 people can be accommodated easily. The toilet seat is really comfortable (you might find it funny, but that's my top priority, followed by bed - I need nothing else in a room).

Sadly, the restaurant menu doesn't have many options. Local cuisine is severely limited. Only chicken and seafood. NO PORK!!! Very disappointing. Food quality is very good, and it is made to suite the Western palette more than Indian!

But because I asked the waiter about pork in Konkani, they served us stir-fried Goan sausages. Out of the menu ;-)

You can go all the way to the beach from the resort. Security will open the gate for you, after taking down your room details. Once you return from the beach, you can take a fresh water shower right there, and the security will give you fresh towels.

Even though check-in time is 2 PM and check-out time is 10 AM, they were flexible enough to let us check out late. I think they won't be so generous during peak season.

Apart from menu and check-out time, one more thing that can improve is the path to the room. The paths are slightly elevated from the surrounding gardens. But the elevation is not enough and the paths sink under water after heavy rains. I was wearing shoes when I reached there (since I don't like to travel with open feet). I had no choice but to let the water seep into my shoes!
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:15   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
For a change, I got this opportunity to stay in a resort in Goa.

2 of my friends and I booked a room Beleza By The Beach in Betalbatim.
We too stayed here last week (Sunday-Wednesday). Were you there during the same time?

Quote:
The rooms are decent. Each block is like a house. There is a kitchen, hall with AC, and 3 bedrooms. What you get is one bedroom. Anyone can access kitchen and hall. You get a key to your room plus a key to main door.

Rooms are spacious. 3 people can be accommodated easily. The toilet seat is really comfortable (you might find it funny, but that's my top priority, followed by bed - I need nothing else in a room).

Sadly, the restaurant menu doesn't have many options. Local cuisine is severely limited. Only chicken and seafood. NO PORK!!! Very disappointing. Food quality is very good, and it is made to suite the Western palette more than Indian!

Even though check-in time is 2 PM and check-out time is 10 AM, they were flexible enough to let us check out late. I think they won't be so generous during peak season.
I too have the same observations about the place and they allowed us to checkout late as well.
All of the resort's staff were really polite and helpful and rooms were very spacious and clean. The bathroom was big and had a ceiling fan as well!

The buffet breakfast that was included in the room rent was very good and had a lot of options though some of the south indian dishes tasted a little bland to suit everyone's taste!
After seeing their restaurant's menu for lunch/dinner, we didn't go there at all as it was very limited with respect to goan cuisine and food is one of the main reasons we go to Goa after the beaches!

We found an awesome place called Mickeys just down the road from the resort which had a lot of good reviews. They served some amazing sea food and pork cooked goan style and we had all our meals there except for the breakfast!
The best was their goan pork sausage chili fry.
It was also facing the beach and had a good ambiance.

Last edited by SR71-Blackbird : 23rd September 2014 at 11:21.
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:30   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
We too stayed here last week (Sunday-Wednesday). Were you there during the same time?
Yeah, so we must have crossed paths a few times on Sunday, and first half of Monday!

Quote:
We found an awesome place called Mickeys just down the road from the resort which had a lot of good reviews. They served some amazing sea food and pork cooked goan style and we had all our meals there except for the breakfast!
The best was their goan pork sausage chili fry.
It was also facing the beach and had a good ambiance.
Even I hear Mickey's is good. Unfortunately, we guys didn't have enough time, and I wanted to take my friends some favourites of mine. All we could visit were Martin's Corner in Betalbatim (which also has Martin's Comfort suites) and Johnncy's in Benaulim.

Oh I forgot to mention one funny thing. My wife (a Goan) had told me about Betalbatim that during her college days she and her friends used to go to Betalbatim and used to spot couples doing hanky-panky. That beach is not as crowded as nearby Colva.

When we 3 guys were driving from airport to Beleza last week, just outside Mickey's, we saw a couple in the back seat of a parked Wagon R. Rest, I leave to your imagination
Old 24th September 2014, 12:30   #425
BHPian

Guys planning to travel to Goa on 5th of October and back on 9th from Mangalore. How are road conditions ? And suggest good beach resort for family. I have seen Ramada Caravella Beach resort and liked it. Any similar / better places. Thanks in advance.
Old 1st October 2014, 15:37   #426
BHPian

Planning for a goa trip on the long weekend 02 Oct to 05 Oct. Please suggest place to stay for bachelors, not big on amenities, need decent room with clean toilets. I prefer shacks, will it be available now?
Old 1st October 2014, 23:30   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
need decent room with clean toilets. I prefer shacks, will it be available now?
Shacks open around Nov first week usually, not sure if you will find now.
For stay you can check out Green peace service appartments in Candolim. Descent 1bhk place, parking available. They charge around 1.5k per head for a two bed room.
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:00   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Planning for a goa trip on the long weekend 02 Oct to 05 Oct. Please suggest place to stay for bachelors, not big on amenities, need decent room with clean toilets. I prefer shacks, will it be available now?
Can try Palolem Beach Resort .

Advantages:
1) right on the beach - you cannot really get any closer. Easy access from hotel to beach.
2) fantastic beach - Arguably the best beach in Goa
3) sumptuous good food at the hotel restaurant, and when one gets tired of it, can go to the adjacent restaurant (Dropadi). There is also a Cafe Coffee Day nearby as well as quite a few other restaurants/cafes.
4) Canacona is near the southern end of Goa, easier to drive from Bangalore (dont even have to cross a busy town like Madgaon)
5) Friendly staff
6) Seemed like a safe place for family - with high walls and proper gates
7) Shops and facilities nearby (except for ATM which is 1.5 km away on the highway)

Disadvantages:
1) Very very basic room (has small clean bathroom as well as decent/clean bed though). Go with very low expectations and you will still be disappointed! (Though marginally better than the hostel room I stayed in for a year at college)
2) Far away (about 3 hour drive through traffic) from the more famous North Goa beaches (and Old Goa churches like the awe-inspiring Bom Jesus church which currently has provided devotees access to view the amazingly preserved body of St. Francis Xavier) which may need to be visited to see other attractions of Goa.

Disclaimer:
Stayed here last week. Took two cottages as one was too small to accommodate family.
Well, who goes to Goa to stay inside the room, the attractions are all outside!
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:39   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Dear Ashok,

Have booked in Marriott. Only two days, though.

Balance days (two) shall be spent at the government facility which I had booked earlier.

Thanks for the inputs.
Folks,

Just back after a fabulous Goa trip.

Stayed at Marriott in Miramar for two days.

Fantastic and fabulous stay in the hotel.

Will recommend it to everyone without any hesitation.
Old 4th November 2014, 17:56   #430
BHPian

Guys, i need a place in Dona Paula (around Cidade Goa to be specific) in Mid December. Any suggestions?
Old 30th November 2014, 00:02   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,
we are going to Goa on 12'th December and need a place to stay near Vasco/Bogmalo/Hansa or around. Please suggest.
Old 19th January 2015, 17:36   #432
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning for a Goa visit with wife between 3rd feb to 7th Feb. Can anyone help me suggest a decent accommodation between 3K-3.5K per day.

Requirements.
1. should be safe
2. Should be a decent clean place
3. Closer to the beach better

I am not looking for many amenities in hotel as I would be spending very less time enjoying them

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th January 2015, 12:12   #433
BHPian

Hi Guys! We are attending a wedding, which is in a church in Navelim. We are planning to stay close to Varca or Colva Beach and then move around. Any hotel suggestions? Any help will be really appreciated!!
Old 20th January 2015, 13:41   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Hi,
I am planning for a Goa visit with wife between 3rd feb to 7th Feb. Can anyone help me suggest a decent accommodation between 3K-3.5K per day.

Requirements.
1. should be safe

I am not looking for many amenities in hotel as I would be spending very less time enjoying them

Thanks in advance.
Hi, we went in October and stayed near calangute. Lot of homestays on the beach and they all charge around 2000/night. Safety was not a concern, only thing is, you have to park your car outside. But it was fine, everyone parks outside
SyncNest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 15:13   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolock123 View Post
Hi,

Requirements.
1. should be safe

Thanks in advance.
I was in Goa this new year with wifey and our 5.5 yr old petrolhead . Stayed at Rockwater beach resort, Morjim. Google it and you will find all the info you need.
Found the property well maintained and at a really excellent location. Its right on the morjim beach which is pristine, clean, beautiful and comparatively free from the typical tourist crowd and vendors.
They have wooden beach huts (which don't face the beach though) both AC and Non AC. Ashvem beach and Turtle beach are just a walk away from this place. Food is okay. They have enough parking space, in case you are driving down or happen to hire a car. Overall we were quite happy with the place.
The only problem is the approach to the property. It is connected to the main road through a very narrow driveway, which is just enough for one car. The length of this driveway is good 500-600m long.
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks