Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2013, 19:00   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post

Thanks mate. I checked with Bid Daddys, they have a couple of rooms available for the 30th and 31st but they are quoting 5k a night for both these nights which makes it out of my budget.
You can check Moonbay resort at Coco beach. I'll be there from 29 to 31 Dec.

They may quote upward of 3k, I booked two weeks back @ 3k per day.
Give it a try.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 16:16   #302
BHPian

re: Planning for Goa, where to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
You can check Moonbay resort at Coco beach. I'll be there from 29 to 31 Dec.

They may quote upward of 3k, I booked two weeks back @ 3k per day.
Give it a try.
Thanks mate. They have availability and are quoting 3k per night. I'm going to confirm the location with the people i am travelling with and then book the place.
Old 21st December 2013, 12:35   #303
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a weekend tour to Goa in the second week of Jan '14. I am thinking of flying down there on Friday night, spend Saturday and Sunday, and fly back either on Sunday night or Monday early morning.

I shall be travelling with my wife, and it's a leisure + sightseeing tour: not too much of sightseeing though.

Which would be the best place to stay? Are there airport pickup and drop facilities offered? How much approximately would be the travel cost?

Is GTDC a good option to get a package deal on accomodation and travel? Or should I go through private tour operators (including online)?
Old 21st December 2013, 13:12   #304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Is GTDC a good option to get a package deal on accomodation and travel? Or should I go through private tour operators (including online)?
I have always stayed at the GTDC, Miramar and have come back satisfied with the service, the costs, the food and the connectivity. They offer a complimentary bus tour of Goa for two days as well.

Miramar is walkable from the Mandovi Jetty at Panjim and is very well connected to both the ends of Goa with taxis and autos being available 24/7.
Old 21st December 2013, 13:15   #305
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning a weekend tour to Goa in the second week of Jan '14. I am thinking of flying down there on Friday night, spend Saturday and Sunday, and fly back either on Sunday night or Monday early morning.

I shall be travelling with my wife, and it's a leisure + sightseeing tour: not too much of sightseeing though.

Which would be the best place to stay? Are there airport pickup and drop facilities offered? How much approximately would be the travel cost?

What is your budget?
If you want a leisure time only with no sightseeing then try Alila diwa goa which is in South Goa.

And if you want a good combination then try Taj Vivanta Panjim which is located in middle of Panjim and offers good access to miramaar road and North Goa.

Their hospitality is out of this world!

Hotel Marriott on miramaar road is also a good option for a short holiday with family with a mix of leisure and sightseeing.

Alila would cost you around 7-8k per night, Taj around 8-9k per night and Marriott around 10k per night.

For a lesser budget miramaar residency is a very good option. Their food is also decent. Have stayed there for 3-4 days and was overall satisfied for the money I paid.
Old 21st December 2013, 13:58   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have always stayed at the GTDC, Miramar and have come back satisfied with the service, the costs, the food and the connectivity. They offer a complimentary bus tour of Goa for two days as well.

Miramar is walkable from the Mandovi Jetty at Panjim and is very well connected to both the ends of Goa with taxis and autos being available 24/7.
Thanks. What is the booking process of GTDC like? Book over the phone and pay when you visit, or pay online during booking? How far would Miramar be from the airport?

I am sorry but I am visiting Goa as an adult for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
What is your budget?
If you want a leisure time only with no sightseeing then try Alila diwa goa which is in South Goa.

And if you want a good combination then try Taj Vivanta Panjim which is located in middle of Panjim and offers good access to miramaar road and North Goa.

Their hospitality is out of this world!

Hotel Marriott on miramaar road is also a good option for a short holiday with family with a mix of leisure and sightseeing.

Alila would cost you around 7-8k per night, Taj around 8-9k per night and Marriott around 10k per night.

For a lesser budget miramaar residency is a very good option. Their food is also decent. Have stayed there for 3-4 days and was overall satisfied for the money I paid.
The options you have listed are a bit over the budget, since it'll also involve airfare and transportation to and fro within Mumbai.

Here's a rough breakdown of the costs:

1. To and From Mumbai airport: 2k
2. Airfare to and from Mumbai for two people- Goa: 25k
3. Accommodation for two days and nights: 10k
4. Food and local travel in Goa: 10k

Are these estimates realistic? Specially the food and local travel bit? The local travel includes airport to hotel and hotel to airport travel. For the two days, the travel would be around 6 hrs (I mean rental of 6 hrs, not driving of 6 hrs).

We both are vegetarians and non-drinkers, so costs might be lower, but again I need to know the feedback offered on food is for veg or for non-veg or in general both.
Old 21st December 2013, 14:03   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks. What is the booking process of GTDC like? Book over the phone and pay when you visit, or pay online during booking? How far would Miramar be from the airport?

As long as it is not your last time, it's perfectly fine.
GTDC can be booked online on their official website and payment needs to be made via the Internet during the booking.
It should take you around 20 minutes from the airport by a normal taxi which is generally an Eeco. I know a taxi wallah cum guide there who is a North Indian. Let me if you need his details.
Take it easy, Goa is a very nice and cool place with nice people....!!!!
Old 21st December 2013, 15:42   #308
BANNED

I once tried staying at GTDC, old Goa. A local acquaintance had called them and confirmed availability of rooms couple of hours before we reached. But on arrival, first, we were told that no rooms are available. Next, we were told that only a"deluxe" room is available. For some reason, felt that we are being shortchanged and an el cheapo spare / staff room is being passed off as a deluxe one. Left the place after throwing a tantrum, and hearing "ok, we will show you another room"
Old 21st December 2013, 20:36   #309
BHPian

Quote:

The options you have listed are a bit over the budget, since it'll also involve airfare and transportation to and fro within Mumbai.

Are these estimates realistic? Specially the food and local travel bit? The local travel includes airport to hotel and hotel to airport travel. For the two days, the travel would be around 6 hrs (I mean rental of 6 hrs, not driving of 6 hrs).

We both are vegetarians and non-drinkers, so costs might be lower, but again I need to know the feedback offered on food is for veg or for non-veg or in general both.
Hi I being from Goa, would say the cost listed for acco, food and travel in Goa is within budget. But reg. stay along with GTDC, why dont you check up with expedia.com and other online hotel reservation sites? The reason is Goa offers many excellent resorts / acco and you could find something that could fit your taste and budget.

For GTDC reservation pls check here: http://bookings.goa-tourism.com/HotelBooking1.aspx
for Expedia, Check here: http://www.expedia.co.in/
hope it helps

Last edited by ashkamath : 21st December 2013 at 20:43.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:56   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi

I just got back from Goa 2 days back. I paid Rs 1000 from Dabolim Airport to my resort at Arpora, which is 41 kms away. This was for a non-AC WagonR cab. AC costs Rs 1300. I used the pre-paid counter at the airport. Assuming you're staying at Calangute, the distance will be around 37 kms and the fare around 900 or so.

We hired a non-AC WagonR for the first day. Cost was Rs 1400 for 8 hours, with a limit of 80 kms. Extra hours and kms cost more: around Rs 15 per km. Not sure of the hourly charges, as we used the cab only for 7 hours. But going by experience, I'd suggest an AC cab that would cost a bit more. Goa was indeed hot between noon to 330 pm.

From day 2, we got an Alto self-drive car for Rs 1000 a day. Fuel cost was Rs 58.80 in Goa, and it felt like heaven to us!

Honda Activa scooters were available for Rs 300 a day.

But do keep in mind that self-drive rentals will be more from 21st till New Year's day.

As regards room rents, Osborne Resorts at Calangute charges Rs 3000 per day for a double room from Oct to Dec 20th. From Dec 21st. the rates are jacked up to Rs 5000 per day. That is the only period when they get a chance to make money, due to festivals like Sunburn, etc.

Have a nice trip.

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought you were staying at GTDC, Calangute. But GTDC, Miramar is in Panjim, which is closer to the airport---around 27 kms. So the cab fare will be cheaper. Do use the pre-paid counter at the airport exit, as their rates are reasonable. My uncle paid Rs 1100, while I paid Rs 1000 because I used that kiosk.

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st December 2013 at 21:01.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 00:53   #311
Senior - BHPian

Thanks both for the additional info. So self drive is available? Do they take any security deposit?

I am thinking GTDC as I do not want to take any risk for non performance I.e. the accommodation turning out bad, and also the rates are known beforehand.

I am planning to visit in the second weekend of Jan next year. Definitely off peak in terms of tourists. Any idea if rates could be haggled down?

The general idea is to leave on Friday evening and reach Goa by Friday night. Next day morning could be a visit to the beach, breakfast and then probably a short tour, a stroll in the town in the evening and then dinner. Second day would probably be similar. Leave on Monday morning and reach Mumbai early morning in time for office.
Old 22nd December 2013, 01:08   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both for the additional info. So self drive is available? Do they take any security deposit?

I am thinking GTDC as I do not want to take any risk for non performance I.e. the accommodation turning out bad, and also the rates are known beforehand.

I am planning to visit in the second weekend of Jan next year. Definitely off peak in terms of tourists. Any idea if rates could be haggled down?

The general idea is to leave on Friday evening and reach Goa by Friday night. Next day morning could be a visit to the beach, breakfast and then probably a short tour, a stroll in the town in the evening and then dinner. Second day would probably be similar. Leave on Monday morning and reach Mumbai early morning in time for office.
I went to goa last feb and hired a Wagon-R. It is available for 1200 bucks a day so an alto would be even cheaper. As mentioned by a member who's from goa, please keep your options open. Goa has lots of places to stay and some awesome deals are up for grabs, all you need to do is a little research on the internet. My first advise would be to first plan what places you want to visit and then zero in on a hotel which is closer. Petrol is cheap in Goa and I don't remember paying a security deposit for the Wagon-R . However the friendly owner gave me one important piece of advice. He said always take a video/or pictures of the car which is rented to you in front of the owners pointing out any scratches/dents which exist on the body. This may save you headache and money in case the owner turns out to be a crook.

You can always check reviews and pictures clicked by the guests online to verify. Also yes, rates are negotiable. I know you want be safe but that's where reviews of fellow travelers will help you.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 22nd December 2013 at 01:10.
Old 22nd December 2013, 14:28   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hi

As regards room rents, Osborne Resorts at Calangute charges Rs 3000 per day for a double room from Oct to Dec 20th. From Dec 21st. the rates are jacked up to Rs 5000 per day. That is the only period when they get a chance to make money, due to festivals like Sunburn, etc.
Hi there,

Have you had a personal experience at the above resort. I am planning to visit Goa in last week of Jan. Could you advise about accommodation. Last time i stayed at Palmainha Resort and my experience was good there. Wanted to do something different this time around.
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:59   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I went to goa last feb and hired a Wagon-R. It is available for 1200 bucks a day so an alto would be even cheaper.
Rentals are same for WagonR and Alto. I was given a quote for Rs 1200 for Alto or WagonR, but got a discounted rate with the help of the security guard at the resort.

Taking a picture of the car's dents and scratches is a great idea. I did the same too.

However, given Goa's narrow roads, for a first time visitor,I'd always recommend a cab. At one or two spots, the road was so narrow that I had to reverse to let another Alto cross!!

This apart, there are too many confusing intersections, and road signage is not that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavtol View Post
Hi there,

Have you had a personal experience at the above resort. I am planning to visit Goa in last week of Jan. Could you advise about accommodation. Last time i stayed at Palmainha Resort and my experience was good there. Wanted to do something different this time around.
I had a very pleasant stay at Osborne in Oct 2009. It is close to Kamat Holiday Homes, near the Anthony Chapel at Calangute. The Calangute beach is around 2 kms from that place.
Old 24th December 2013, 12:12   #315

Guys,any idea on the entry tax for passenger cars?We are leaving to Goa on the 26th.

Most Viewed