Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 12:40   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Planning for Goa, where to stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAND BR View Post
Guys,any idea on the entry tax for passenger cars?We are leaving to Goa on the 26th.
Private vehicles are charged Rs. 250. If you are leaving the state within 4 hours of entry the amount will be refund.
Tax is collected in a toll booth similar to what you see on NH, no need of submitting any papers like with RTO check posts.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 12:52   #317
BHPian

Had been to goa last week, and we stayed in vagator beach front place called Alcove, Highly recommended with great food and most important is that it had very less people on beach probably like arambol few years back,

You can try Zaffran as well, nice place !

Last edited by raj.barcode : 24th December 2013 at 13:07.
Old 24th December 2013, 14:42   #318
BHPian

Haven't stayed here; but have heard good things about this place.

You have a few options to choose from - however knowing the rush for the festive season I doubt if they will have rooms.

Any members who have been here before, please share your thoughts.

http://www.curliesgoa.com/
Old 24th December 2013, 16:17   #319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
How far would Miramar be from the airport?
Around 30 Km
Quote:
We both are vegetarians
You'll find vegetarian food. You won't find good vegetarian food.

Quote:
non-drinkers,
No matter where you go, this always results in savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Eeco.
Not seen many Eeco's at the airport. Taxis rage from Wagon R's to Bolero's and everything in between.

Quote:
I know a taxi wallah cum guide there who is a North Indian.
And since you don't know about the place you'll beleive all he tells you about the place. I would suggest you stick to the local taxi drivers. You may feel you are being cheated but taxis are more expensive in Goa than other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Alto self-drive car for Rs 1000 a day.
Best option. There is a wide range of cars and bikes to hire. You can even get a Thar. make sure you rent a vehicle with black plates and yellow numbers. These are registered as rental vehicles.

Quote:
GTDC, Miramar is in Panjim,
There is a GTDC in Panjim and another in Miramar.

Quote:
T Do they take any security deposit?
No. So far there have been no problems so the guys still trust tourists. Besides even if you run away with the vehicle you can cross the border as rental vehicles are for use within the state only.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 22:29   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Besides even if you run away with the vehicle you can cross the border as rental vehicles are for use within the state only.
Why would one do that, I wonder. I have no intention of trading my Nano for one of the battered taxis.

Thanks by the way for the insight. Since I am new, I shall trust everyone - or distrust everyone. But it helps to have some contact to get one started in a new place.
Old 24th December 2013, 23:02   #321
BANNED

Quote:
Why would one do that,
That is exactly why they don't ask for a deposit.

Quote:
I have no intention of trading my Nano for one of the battered taxis.
Actually rental cars (self drive) are not taxis and most are in pretty good condition.

Quote:
I shall trust everyone - or distrust everyone.
Don't do either. Most of the locals are quite honest but wherever there are tourists, there will be connmen.

Quote:
But it helps to have some contact to get one started in a new place.
Not really. It's pretty easy to get around on your own. Not really possible to get lost anywhere. The entire state is smaller than most major cities in India.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2013, 23:23   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAND BR View Post
Guys,any idea on the entry tax for passenger cars?We are leaving to Goa on the 26th.
Yes, you will have to pay INR 250. I was there this weekend and had entered Goa via the Chorla ghats route. However I believe you will have to pay this entry tax irrespective of whichever border check post you pass through.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 04:50   #323
Senior - BHPian

Would it be more convenient to book a package through an operator such as MakeMyTrip?
Old 26th December 2013, 06:44   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would it be more convenient to book a package through an operator such as MakeMyTrip?
You get the best deals on hotels via the online portals like MMT/TG etc-no doubts on that as they buy the inventory from the hotels and resell it to individuals.As for travel within Goa,imo its better to hire a car there or arrange one via the hotel,it works out better and make more economic sense and better flexibility in terms of travel.
Old 29th December 2013, 11:38   #325
Senior - BHPian

Here's a tentative plan: instead of flying down there, I am thinking of driving down there. The route via Pune - Kolhapur - Nipani - Sawantwadi is what is recommended by Google and also by many fellow members, and compared to the Mumbai - Goa highway I think this route will be much better.

The general idea is as follows:

Day1: Start in the evening and reach Kolhapur or thereby for the night. Halt for the night.
Day2: Start early morning and reach Goa. Check into a hotel. Halt for the night.
Day3: Spend the day in Goa. Halt for the night.
Day4: Check out from the hotel at around noon and start the return journey. Reach Kolhapur or Satara or Pune and halt for the night.
Day5: Start early morning and reach home.

Day1 could be a Thursday, in which case Day5 will be Monday, in which case we may have to directly reach office.

A back of the envelope calculation shows this plan can be managed under Rs. 30k, including petrol, tolls, intermediate stay, main stay, local travel and food. A similar package including return airfare would cost me near 50k. Similarly priced packages are only providing a 3-star accommodation, but by saving on the airfare I may be able to upgrade to a 4 or 5 star hotel.

Flights also pose another problem: Most of them are at inconvenient timings, and those falling close to normal timings will cost a lot more.

What are the standard check out and check in timings for the hotels? I am hoping to complete two full day/night stay from Friday noon to Sunday noon.

Last edited by honeybee : 29th December 2013 at 11:53. Reason: Adding cost estimates
Old 7th January 2014, 17:39   #326
BHPian

I am planning for a Goa vacation this April. Any recommendations for a good place to stay and visit and places to avoid?
Old 7th January 2014, 18:42   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I am planning for a Goa vacation this April. Any recommendations for a good place to stay and visit and places to avoid?
The best time to visit Goa is between end October to March. As a coastal area Goa would be very hot in march but with cold beverages on the platter who cares. I just came back from Goa and found this new place near bagmallo beach called "Stone water resort" a new place but very tastefully done up place pretty economical too and has a great view of the sea. There is no dearth of quality accommodation in Goa but some of the good ones that spring to mind are Royal Orchid, Kelinworth resort, Majorda beach resort, all in south Goa. Well that is the peaceful and classy part of Goa.
The must eat places in Goa are Joets in bagmallo beach, martins corner near Majorda. Ritz classic and Vinanti in Panjim all of them are for authentic Goan sea food lovers. Tittoos in Baga beach is the happening place on the north Goa side.
The things to do list will surely contain the aqua sports, recently scuba diving has come in and saw this guy operating from bagmallo beach. Visit to the white sand beach in Majorda is something that should surely figure in the list just below the heading. There are two fishermen's jetty try and conjure up a ride on them for the experience of your life.
Bon holiday to you mate. Don't forget to take the sunscreen lotion.
ANAND BR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:50   #328
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a budget accommodation for 2-3 bachelor friends around Varca in February. Any suggestions? As you can guess, they'll spend only a few hours there, so all they want is a bed to sleep and a clean toilet.

They are coming to attend my family function in Madgaon, so I suggested them Varca, as I hear Colva is overcrowded during tourist season (I don't really know, because I rarely go to beach). I think they won't mind even Colva.

From this thread, I found a few places in Colva, but I think they are more suited for families:
- Beleza by the beach http://www.belezagoa.com/our_resort.html

- Shangrila Beach Hotel near Majorda Beach http://www.goasmiles.com/

- GTDC at Colva

- LONGUINHOS BEACH RESORT www.longuinhos.net
Old 8th January 2014, 13:07   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I am looking for a budget accommodation for 2-3 bachelor friends around Varca in February. Any suggestions? As you can guess, they'll spend only a few hours there, so all they want is a bed to sleep and a clean toilet.

They are coming to attend my family function in Madgaon, so I suggested them Varca, as I hear Colva is overcrowded during tourist season (I don't really know, because I rarely go to beach). I think they won't mind even Colva.

From this thread, I found a few places in Colva, but I think they are more suited for families:
- Beleza by the beach http://www.belezagoa.com/our_resort.html

- Shangrila Beach Hotel near Majorda Beach http://www.goasmiles.com/

- GTDC at Colva

- LONGUINHOS BEACH RESORT www.longuinhos.net
You could try out service apartments, will be cheaper too. Know a couple of friends who stayed at The Treehouse Blue at Majorda. Since they are 3 people, they could rent a 1 BHK there.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...jorda_Goa.html
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 13:02   #330
BHPian

Guys any good 4 bedroom villas for couples in north goa? Me and my friends will be staying from 6-10th feb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks