Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 11:21   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kukke Subramanya : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1558 View Post
Thanks Sushruta. That looks bad. Had 2 days - was planning to stay a day in Madikeri and next day visit Kukke. Think its better to do Kukke directly and may be do Dharmashtala.
That brings us back to the old topic - which ghat to take Bisle or Shiradi or Charmadi route.....Bisle I was told is still the same....now that leaves Shiradi and the other route...with elders and a kid - not a great choice to make - which one to take.
I would still say go via Shiradi. 30 odd kms you have to be slightly careful, but managable in a CIVIC.
Last week I took I20 & 20 days back it was RITZ, both were managable on this road, but with care.

Here is the latest update, who took Shiradi on his Baleno (AFAIK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
I drove from Mangalore to Bangalore last week through the dreaded Sakleshpur ghat. To my surprise, a large portion of the strech was recently laid/being re laid. However, there is still about 30 odd kms where no road exists. Barring this theroute is amazing to drive.
I would still say, don't take Bisle, the reasons are as below & not to forget you are with a small kid n family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today I did Mysore-Manipal via Bisle. I was originally planning to go Mysore-Hassan, and then think about the next step. But wife insisted on Bisle since she has heard so much about it from my solo trips on that road.

So Bisle we took, and was pleasantly surprised. They have closed most of the really bad patches with red mud and have improved the otherwise mind-bending ride. Now it is on par or better than Shiradi ghat. It is definitely much shorter than Shiradi ghat.

Now, this is not a recommendation of Bisle ghat. It is still very narrow and very deserted, and I did it in a SUV. Take it only at your own risk. We left Mysore at 1.15PM, reached Subramanya at 5:45PM. This is without any break in between. That means 165kms took 4.5 hours.
Old 23rd January 2011, 17:46   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, i am going to kukke next week.We usually go via madikeri->sulya->kukke. But reading about the road construction i am bit skeptical.Is the road construction over now? If not what is the best alternative route i can take?The car would be i20 so please suggest a route that it can manage.
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:45   #108
Team-BHP Support

Two standard options then: Shiradi or Charmadi.

Blr-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala-Kukke.
Else the regular NH48 till Sakleshpur and take the Kukke Road.
Shiradi is pretty bad as of today. Charamadi would be a better option.

Check with Addy and Shushrutha also for the latest conditions.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:10   #109
Senior - BHPian

I would say stick to Shiradi.
I had recently (a month back) done the trip in an I20 itself. Drove with care, there weren't any issues.
So if you can bear the dreaded 30+kms of Sakleshpura - Gundya, I would suggest you to take this route, rest of the route is in Beautiful condition(except some strtches of 4 laning raod between Nelmangala - Kunigal)
Old 24th January 2011, 17:56   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I would say stick to Shiradi.
I had recently (a month back) done the trip in an I20 itself. Drove with care, there weren't any issues.
So if you can bear the dreaded 30+kms of Sakleshpura - Gundya, I would suggest you to take this route, rest of the route is in Beautiful condition(except some strtches of 4 laning raod between Nelmangala - Kunigal)
Is the madikeri-sulya stretch back in operation?
How long will it take to cross shiradi ghat?Is there road or no road at all?
Old 24th January 2011, 22:59   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the madikeri-sulya stretch back in operation?
Not yet. May take another 2-3 months.

Quote:
How long will it take to cross shiradi ghat?Is there road or no road at all?
Should take about 1.5hrs (Sakleshpur to Gundya). Road come in all shapes - stretches with small craters, with big craters and only craters. Some BHPians have reported that the patch work has started from both sides (pl. refer to the thread "The art of travelling between Bangalore and Mangalore/Udupi" for latest info).

Prasad
Old 25th January 2011, 09:17   #112
BHPian

The so-called patch-work on the Shiradi Ghats has begun from the Sakleshpur and Nelyadi ends. Looks like they are still undecided on how to fill the moon-sized craters for the stretches in between. Perhaps they are taking cues from ISRO/NASA on this, and hence the delay, hehe.
Once you take a detour at Gundya, you'll be greeted with good roads, all the way upto Subramanya, except for a pothole somewhere in between. Otherwise, this road is a treat to drive with such closeness to nature

Last edited by dkamath : 25th January 2011 at 09:19.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:57   #113
Senior - BHPian

If one takes it easy and patient can cross the dreaded stretch of Shiradi without scrapping the bottom of the car...
Old 17th May 2011, 11:01   #114
BHPian

I am traveling to Kukke Subramanya Road this weekend. Anyone went there recently ? I would be banking on the mapmyindia hardware for my drive and the online map suggests this route,

MapMyIndia Suggestion

Any other suggestions ?

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 17th May 2011 at 11:19.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:54   #115
BHPian

I too am travelling this weekend, help in road conditions from sakleshpur onwards and stay options would be appreciated, hey Abhishek I will be leaving on Saturday at around 11 Am, if you too are leaving at the same time maybe we can catch up. I will be driving a Civic or Corolla depending on the road condition update given
Old 17th May 2011, 12:13   #116
BHPian

Good to hear. I am leaving on Sunday and driving back on Wednesday. Sounds good ?
Old 17th May 2011, 12:21   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I too am travelling this weekend, help in road conditions from sakleshpur onwards and stay options would be appreciated,
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
I am traveling to Kukke Subramanya Road this weekend. Anyone went there recently ?
This choice has now become easy. Shiradi ghats have been relaid and BHPians are enjoying the drive on this section as long as it lasts. So it (as mapmyindia also says)
B'lore-Kunigal-HassanBP-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kukke.

If in South Bangalore, take NICE road and exit to Magadi (or Nelamangala).
Road conditions are updated almost everyday in the thread
The art of traveling b/w Bangalore-M'lore/Udupi.

I've always stayed in Sheshanag Ashraya (they boast of having several bollywood stars and cricketers including Tendulkar having stayed over there. Not that its a star hotel, its perhaps the best over there). Parking available within their compound. No restaurant though.

Other options include:
1. Senani Residency (near the river, has interconnected rooms for bigger families).
2. KRS Nandanavana
3. SLR Residency
4. Krishna Residency

You'll have to google to get more info. I've not stayed in any of these, but these names came out.

Have a pleasant drive and nice darshan.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 12:23   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Prasad
Thank you. This was indeed helpful. Will update on the travelogue.

Update : I was looking to stay at SLR residency but after reading your post, booked with Sheshang Ashraya. Managed a non-AC room for Day 1 (Sunday) and AC rooms for Day 2 and Day 3. Few questions on the hotel,

- What about food, how do you manage ?
- How far is it from the temple ?

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 17th May 2011 at 12:53. Reason: booking update
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:56   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Other options include:
1. Senani Residency (near the river, has interconnected rooms for bigger families).
2. KRS Nandanavana
3. SLR Residency
4. Krishna Residency

You'll have to google to get more info. I've not stayed in any of these, but these names came out.

Prasad
Please don't consider Senani Residency, we had a very bad experience there, and it's very far from the temple. You can see details in my Trip Advisor review. Senani Residency Hotel, Kukke Subrahmanya (Karnataka, India) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 09:06   #120

Hi Guys....
Just wanted to keep all of you updated.. if someone is planning to go to Kukke in near future.
I have been to Kukke Subramanya from Bangalore on 22/05/2011, just 2 days before. As always I look for Team-BHP forums before planning any road trip because it helps a lot and for Kukke trip also I checked the forum but unfortunately could not see latest updates on road conditions hence thought of posting something latest.

I drove my Indica, from Bangalore to Kukke Subrmanya...so here are the details.
Bangalore To Kukke Subramanya distance - 300 KM (7 hrs max with Pit Stop)

Road travelled - Bangalore-Channarayapatna-Hasan(bypass)-Sakaleshpur-Gundya-Kukke Subrmanya.(Mangalore Highway)

Road Condition -

Till C R Patna - road is 4 lane highway, can drive min 80-90kmph no issues. Drive Safely, as at some places work is still going on hence road is bothway.

C R Patna to Hasan - 2 lane Highway,can manage with 60 kmph easily.

Hasan to Sakaleshpur - Again 2 lane highway but ghat turns are there, although not very sharp. Here also no issues with 60-70 kmph.

Sakaleshpur to Gundya -2 lane highway but forest and ghat area.Road Condition is good.

Near Gundya you will have to take a LEFT Turn at Forest Check Post.Here you will be leaving the NH 48 and heading towards Kukke. Distance is exactly 22 kms. Road condition is not bad. 60 Kmph is manageble.

If you are going on any weekend please book the rooms in advance, although the temple lodges do no book the rooms on phone, but private lodges do book the room.
I stayed at SLR Residency and payed 675 /- for Non-AC Double Room.
Believe me I have never seen such clean and neat Lodge in such a small place, really value for money. SLR Residency is just 5 min walkable distance from temple.
Additional info about temple can be found at - Shree Kukke Subrahmanya Temple

All the Best guys, Drive Safely and take care..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks