Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 13:32   #1
BHPian

Setting up your own tent in Ooty?

I am planning on a long-pending and well deserved trip to Ooty with my wife next weekend.

The last time we visited was in 2019 and the view from the top of Shooting point at Wenlock Downs was absolutely breathtaking. It's a shame that we could not stay there longer and had to leave because of the rain.
This time, however, we are planning to go better prepared with a 2-person tent, and basic cushioning. I'll also pack some fritters and masala chai

We will spend around 2 hours at the top of the hill, listen to some music, enjoy the view, take pictures, pack everything up and head back.

The question, however is, are we allowed to do this?

I have seen people placing their picnic mats on the ground and carrying on, but a tent?

Does anyone have experience with this, or maybe can guide me in the right direction from where I can find an answer?
The results on travel websites talk about getting a permission from the forest department, but that is when you camp overnight somewhere.

Any pointers will be helpful.

Cheers,
Ankush
Old 8th July 2021, 18:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Setting up your own tent in Ooty?

There are various compact tents available these days, which can be folded up to a very small size, and carried inside a duffle bag.

If people have carried up picnic baskets, and carpets, then it should be able to take a small compact tent as well.

However, please ensure that the spot is safe from the natural elements (wind etc.) & from anti-social elements.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 21:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcraft22 View Post
The results on travel websites talk about getting a permission from the forest department
I am sure the caretakers and guards would have a problem with it leave alone the cops or forest department if the place you mention (which I am not aware where it is) is fenced and part of some park/ regulated area.

Camping ,even overnight works well in secluded places where there is usually no one monitoring or where there are recognized tenting spots which is unheard of down south. I would suggest you take a big foldable umbrella types, the ones roadside vendors use while displaying the products.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcraft22 View Post
Shooting point at Wenlock Downs

We will spend around 2 hours at the top of the hill, listen to some music, enjoy the view, take pictures, pack everything up and head back.

The question, however is, are we allowed to do this?
Over night camping may not be possible without permission from forest department. During day light I don't think any specific permission is required (except for some palm greasing)

BUT

If it is a clear day, I don't see any need for a tent, on a rainy day, it is not safe to be on the top
- Pathway will be very much slippery, getting all these stuffs packed and climbing down will be a tough job
- Cattles will look for shelter during showers, be prepared to accommodate them
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks