Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2013, 14:53   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
i would be doing a tirupati trip from the 7th till 10th nov. can any one please advise the road condition and political situation near tirupati?? any recent updates about the road conditions etc would be great help. would be driving in an XUV5OO. would be 4 people. i am planning to take the standard route suggested by google maps. mumbai to banglore--> NH4 all the way, from there would take the kolar-mulbagal-palamner-chitoor-tirupati route. can any one give me any updates on the road conditions?
If you are new to that route then I strongly suggest you to take in the daytime. The road is fun to drive but there are curves etc which need good visiblity. Avoid night journeys. As said by ravib there is widening work going on which will be a hazard as they have dug the sides. Given that the road after mulbagal is not a split highway, overtaking will require good judgement and visiblity again. Hence I feel driving in the morning is really enjoyable. Not sure if the Map has suggested but you can take Chittor byepass and skip the city. If there are any protests they are usually inside the city else usually they dont harm private vehicles. Only trucks are stopped which might create a traffic jam. Else there is nothing much to worry.

OT but why mumbai to tirupathi in car?
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 15:33   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post

You can comfortably take the gmaps route and the road conditions are good between Bangalore and Tirupati. If you are driving after dark, be bit careful in stretch between Mulbagal to Palamaner as the road widening work is in progress. Road conditions are not great, but not too bad either in this stretch. At present there are no protests due to political situation. But anyways suggest you to keep a watch on new channels.

I visited Tirumala on 31st oct and was lucky enough to get 2 back to back darshans in about 2+ hours time. First darshan was through Rs. 50/- sudharshan ticket( which i bought in Bangalore malleswaram/Vyalikaval TTD office couple of weeks back) that took about 1+ hour. There was not much crowd that day, so decided to go for another darshan with Rs. 300/- seegradarshan ticket which took just 30+ minutes. Though was greedy to go for another darshan again with Rs. 300/-, but by then seegradarshan queue was closed.

-Ravi
Thanks a lot Ravi, appreciate your help.
We will be staying near davengere on the way from mumbai to banglore. My plan is to do the trip from davengere to tirupati during day time. I've always liked to travel during day time. Hence, will take care on the streches where road works are in progress.
I hope we are as luck as you were, with regards to darshan. We will go to tirumala at 0400 in the morning and try to get seegradarshan tickets. This has worked for the past two times and hope it works this time also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

If you are new to that route then I strongly suggest you to take in the daytime. The road is fun to drive but there are curves etc which need good visiblity. Avoid night journeys. As said by ravib there is widening work going on which will be a hazard as they have dug the sides. Given that the road after mulbagal is not a split highway, overtaking will require good judgement and visiblity again. Hence I feel driving in the morning is really enjoyable. Not sure if the Map has suggested but you can take Chittor byepass and skip the city. If there are any protests they are usually inside the city else usually they dont harm private vehicles. Only trucks are stopped which might create a traffic jam. Else there is nothing much to worry.

OT but why mumbai to tirupathi in car?
Thanks for the Inputs audioholic.
Yes I will be driving on this stretch for the first time. I will be splitting the journey in two parts, first strech from to mumbai to davengere. Planning to stop for the night at hotel sai international on SH76. Will have to travel about 15 kms extra for this. Any better option you might have is welcome.
The second strech will be from davengere to tirupati. Will stay at fortune grand hotel in tirupati for 2 nights.
Well as far as why travel by car?? Me and my wife both love to drive and are not stressed for time. We like to take our time and enjoy our drive, making stops where we like. Apart from this, we will also be visiting sri raghavendra swamy mutt in mantralyam. So the car will be good fun I hope.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th November 2013 at 08:28.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:01   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk016 View Post
Will have to travel about 15 kms extra for this. Any better option you might have is welcome.
The second strech will be from davengere to tirupati. Will stay at fortune grand hotel in tirupati for 2 nights.
Well as far as why travel by car?? Me and my wife both love to drive and are not stressed for time. .
Good thing if you like to drive. The Bangalore-Tirupati stretch is quite enjoyable. I have no idea about hotels in Davangere. The route you have chosen has excellent roads as far as I am aware. Think you can maintain a good pace. Given this, why dont you cover some more distance if you can? On day two of the drive you will have less distance to cover and also after Mubagal in Karnataka, though the roads are decently laid, they are two lane roads on which your pace will be relatively lesser and in case truckers are on the roads then you will have a lot of overtaking to do. For this, I think its better if you are full of energy rather than doing the same during the later half of the day. Having done this route at least twice a year, we have always enjoyed driving through this route in the mornings or at the most afternoon. In the night we have had some close calls as people coming from the opposite direction, especially locallites occupy the entire road which makes us either stop or go off the road. In the mornings at least we can look around and can judge things better.

Having an XUV, I dont think you have to worry about people giving way. But in the night they wont get to know what is approaching them
Old 5th November 2013, 21:47   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

The route you have chosen has excellent roads as far as I am aware. Think you can maintain a good pace. Given this, why dont you cover some more distance if you can? On day two of the drive you will have less distance to cover and also after Mubagal in Karnataka, though the roads are decently laid, they are two lane roads on which your pace will be relatively lesser and in case truckers are on the roads then you will have a lot of overtaking to do. For this, I think its better if you are full of energy rather than doing the same during the later half of the day. Having done this route at least twice a year, we have always enjoyed driving through this route in the mornings or at the most afternoon. In the night we have had some close calls as people coming from the opposite direction, especially locallites occupy the entire road which makes us either stop or go off the road. In the mornings at least we can look around and can judge things better.

Having an XUV, I dont think you have to worry about people giving way. But in the night they wont get to know what is approaching them
I think you are right to say I should cover more distance on day 1. I think I should start looking for alternative accommodation along the route. Any suggestions?? The last time I did bombay-banglore, we were in davengere at 1800, We started at 0600.
That's one good thing with an XUV5OO. People actually move for us. The road presence of this vehicle is phenomenal.
Old 5th November 2013, 23:29   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

I personally cant drive as long as you can so I really dont know how much more you would be able to cover. Also I dont mean to pressurise you to cover more distance. Assess yourself and decide how much you can do. Apart from Davangere, you can get hotels in Chitradurga or Tumkur, but again dont stress yourself in order to cover more distance.

Given you are not the sole driver, its better you take chances on the drivers seat and try to reach Chitradurga or Tumkur if possible. The next day you could start a bit late. Tumkur to bangalore outskirts will take an hour or so and from there Kolar is max two hours. You can stop for a brunch in Adigas or CCD near Kolar. From then, you can continue to chittor or even go all the way to Tirupathi which should take max 4 hours to cover. You will reach tirupathi by 2pm or 3pm after which you can relax and proceed to Tirumala for darshan.

Suppose you go by your current plan, you will have to start from Davangere early in the morning. You will reach bangalore by 8-9(not sure how much time it will take) and then again have to carry on to Tirupati which you will reach by 4pm or so including long breaks for lunch and tea/brunch.

The last time I went, roads were empty and yeah they did consider my Sx4's road presence also and made way for us. Usually we drop into my native on the way so I did Tirupati-Kolar in less than four hours. Did not rip the vehicle and had a sedate drive. But thanks to less traffic and less overtaking, I never felt strained.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th November 2013 at 23:30.
Old 12th November 2013, 19:39   #606
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I intend to visit Tirumala (family of 5) on Friday 15th or Saturday 16th (Nov 2013) depending on leave availability from office. My plan is to leave ~3AM from bangalore & hope to reach tirumala (top) by ~10AM (after breakfast break). Since i will be driving on this route (in fact, eastwards from bangalore) for the first time, I have many questions.

Friends, please help me with the following info :
1) Route
bang (sarjapur road) -> Kr puram -> hoskote -> kolar bypass -> mulbagal -> palamaner -> chittor bypass -> tirupathi
OR
bang (sarjapur road) -> sarjapur -> bagalur -> malur -> kolar bypass -> same as above option
2) road conditions : (latest updates in this thread point to decent roads), but I want to specifically know about unscientific humps (nightmare, since it will be a fully occupied figo).
3) realistic duration (I am sedate driver, do not exceed 90-100)
4) decent vegetarian eating options en route
5) Is there anyway to get seegra darshan (Rs 300/-) tickets anywhere other than at the vijaya bank counter in tirumala ? or is this counter the only place to get it ? do you know by any chance the ticket counter Q duration ?
6) approximate duration for darshan (hope to do the darshan & return back the same day ; will look for stay options in tirupathi if the Q wait is extremely long and family feels dead tired) - how much will the variation be Friday v/s Saturday ?
7) parking facilities at the top - will I be robbed of money by touts ? how to find the parking nearest to the vijaya bank counter ?

thanks in advance
Old 12th November 2013, 20:10   #607
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
1) Route
bang (sarjapur road) -> Kr puram -> hoskote -> kolar bypass -> mulbagal -> palamaner -> chittor bypass -> tirupathi
OR
bang (sarjapur road) -> sarjapur -> bagalur -> malur -> kolar bypass -> same as above option
2) road conditions : (latest updates in this thread point to decent roads), but I want to specifically know about unscientific humps (nightmare, since it will be a fully occupied figo).
5) Is there anyway to get seegra darshan (Rs 300/-) tickets anywhere other than at the vijaya bank counter in tirumala ? or is this counter the only place to get it ? do you know by any chance the ticket counter Q duration ?
6) approximate duration for darshan (hope to do the darshan & return back the same day ; will look for stay options in tirupathi if the Q wait is extremely long and family feels dead tired) - how much will the variation be Friday v/s Saturday ?
7) parking facilities at the top - will I be robbed of money by touts ? how to find the parking nearest to the vijaya bank counter ?
If you start at 3am you can take one of these:
a)Sarjapur Road-Turn off to Varthur Road-Old Airport Road-Hope Farm junction-straight past Sai Baba Ashram and turn right when you reach Old Madras Road
b)ORR-Marathahalli-Old Madras Road but you need to take a U-turn near Pai Layout and get onto the cable bridge towards KR Puram
c)Sarjapur Road-go upto Sarjapur and get onto NH207 (Chikka Tirupathi) and turn towardsl Hoskote where it merges with old madras road. Proceed towards Kolar.

Simplest and best route is to follow Old Madras Road (NH4) Kolar-Mulbagal-Palamner-Chittoor-Tirupathi (4 lane upto Mulbagal).

You should be able to do this is 5-6 hours with sedate speeds.

Food options - At Kolar you have Woody's followed by Adigas (almost next to each other). These will not be open that early since you start at 3am.
There are few Coffee days after Palamaner (I think Bangarupalayam and beyond).
There is a Nandi hotel inside a Reliance pump campus very close to Chittoor.
Near Chittoor bypass you have Coffee day on right side and Hotel Bans on left.

For Seegradarshan tickets you don't have to go to Vijaya bank counter. Near the parking lot you will see the boards and the shelter for the queue starts from near the parking itself on the footpath. Do look at the Seegradarshan thread here on TBHP.

Darshan time is mostly unpredictable, recently someone I know had darshan in 30 minutes! When I visited last year it took close to 3 hours.

You don't have to get in touch with any touts so it should be safe. Don't carry mobiles etc, leave them in the car.

Parking - if you go straight following the road to Tirumala you will reach the Vaikuntam complex where there is parking.

Alternately, there is a junction just before that where you can see a wide road to left and lot of well maintained buildings (TTD accommodation) with greenery around. Turn left here and a little distance ahead you should turn right and there is a parking lot. If you can go here it will be good since the Seegradarashan queue starts just adjacent to the parking lot.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 20:29   #608
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I intend to visit Tirumala (family of 5) on Friday 15th or Saturday 16th (Nov 2013) depending on leave availability from office. My plan is to leave ~3AM from bangalore & hope to reach tirumala (top) by ~10AM (after breakfast break). Since i will be driving on this route (in fact, eastwards from bangalore) for the first time, I have many questions.

1) Route
OR

thanks in advance

1. Sreegradarshanam ticktes are sold in the Q itself. Once taken, a person can not come out. he has to proceed for darshan.

2. Parking-- Once you reach tirumala, proceed straight after toll check, you will reach a circle, take left little further, there is parking on the left side. No parking fee. Keep mobiles, camera's inside car. Sreegradarshan Q starts from here just on the opposite foot path.

3. While going to Tirupati, Woody's, Adigas come on the right side, one has to take a U turn. There is APSTDC Harita restaraunt just before Palamaner. Nandi at reliance pump just outside Bangarupalyam town (after Palamaner)
There is one Nandi at IOCL pump just before Chittor bypass. One can not miss it. Huge parking, plus reasonably clean toilets are there

If you are starting at 3 Am, it is possible to reach tirupati by 7- 7.30 AM

Take the left after Chandragiri fort. ( directions are very clearly laid out) proceed through Chandragiri town. no traffic hassles. At around 6=7 Km , you will find a left turn for Tirumala. this will take you to Alipiri toll gate directly bypassing entire tirupati town
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:57   #609
BANNED

^^^ thanks a lot NPV & rkg - quick & precise replies - thank you very much
Old 12th November 2013, 22:44   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The seegradarshan counter opens by 7 AM. But the queue will be there as early as 3-4 AM itself, courtesy the package tour operators.

If it is a friday, you can finish darshan maximum by 3-4 hours from the time you joined the queue.. If saturday, expect a modest 6-7 hour. And yes, there is a waiting hall and you might get free milk while in the queue and food in the waiting hall if there are inordinate delays.

You can cover the fastest speeds(~100 kmph) in the 4 lane till Mulbagal. From there it is 2 lane road, so a 70-80 kmph itself is decent. Proceed a little cautiously in the 2 lane.

There are some speedbreakers at the steep incline/decline after Palamaner and at either end of some bridges and at sharp turns between Chittor and Thirupati.

PS: i was there at Tirupati last saturday morning.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 11:31   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Route
OR

thanks in advance
1) Route options were already covered by NPV, so you can choose whichever works for you.
2) I can remember only 2 unmarked humps after palamaner when you start entering forest area. Otherwise, there are not too many humps on the route and whatever is there are generally marked.
3) Best case you can reach tirupati from bangalore between 4 to 4.5 hours, if you drive in 80 to 100 kmph range.
4) As NPV suggested, Nandi Plaza after Bangarupalyam (about 150 kms from KR Puram) or Coffee day in right side just before you take left for chittoor byepass.
5) You can get Rs. 300/- ticket only inside the queue and not anywhere else.
6) Darshan time - No one can predict accurately except when the lord wants to give appointment for us to see him I would expect there will be decent crowd on friday & more crowd on saturday. Unless you are very lucky to have quick darshan, i would strongly recommend you to plan for night stay at tirupati because you are going with family and that too you are leaving very early (3 am) in the morning. Moreover, since you are driving in 2L roads most parts which needs maximum attention in driving (especially between chittoor to Mulbagal), you yourself may be very tired for return journey and hence not a safe option to return back on same day.
7) There are new road constructions in tirumala now which bypasses & goes beind CRO office. You will be asked to take compulsory right after you cross Toll plaza at Tirumala. There are various new car parking slots constructed and available and you may have to walk few kilometers afte parking your car. I would suggest you not to park in any of the initial car parking areas that you see in these new roads, and keep driving till you reach SV Museum which is at back side of the temple. Ask locals for route directions, if you are not sure. Also, when you leave your mobiles and valuables in the car, keep it in silent mode and suggest you to keep them in boot instead of dashboard.

Another important note: There are minimum travel time restrictions to drive up between Alipiri Toll plaza to Tirumala Toll plaza. From Alipiri to Tirumala, you should cover the distance at minimum 28 minutes. If you reach early, that means you are driving too fast and you will be fined or get a warning if you are lucky.
Similarly, to come down from Tirumala to Alipiri, you should take minimum 40 minutes for downhill drive. Again, you may be fined, if you reach early than that. Just take care of that....

HTH

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 13th November 2013 at 11:34.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 01:02   #612
BANNED

I did the trip on Sat 16th.
(thanks to npv,rkg,ramzsys & ravib for the guidance)

Due to logistical issues & non-arrival of family member, the destination was changed to sri-kalahasti, instead of tirupati.

It was raining right throughout the day for the whole journey and all the driving was in rain/drizzle/tree shower.

Route update :

0400 left home (sarjapur road)

0430 KR puram (holy mess, lunar surface)

after the first 'trial' toll booth, good 4L (with 2 unmarked humps near hoskote) till mulbagal

0530 mulbagal bypass - horrible road condition, driving difficulty was increased by the big lorries and buses coming opposite at high speed doing dangerous overtaking/pothole-avoiding maneuvers ; to top it all off, mist+rain and the studio lighting arrangements by all these guys (some even had 12 lights turned on) made visibility almost nil.
On second thoughts, may be I should have gone through the town instead of the bypass at this early hour.

after mulbagal bypass, the roads are manageable (still not great) for few 10s of kms ; after which smooth 2L highway with good shoulder space starts

0645 breakfast break for 20 mins @nandi plaza near IOC pump, just before start of chittoor bypass

0705 resume

I must reserve some special comments for chittor bypass - to call it a bypass is a misnomer. The surface is very bad and you will not stay in the same gear for more than 30-40 seconds.
From where the bypass ends, then all the way till tirupati bypass start, it is nice 2L road (have to watch out for unmarked humps though) with some bad humps near some towns.
There are 2 railway crosses in this route; cars with low GC be careful while crossing the actual 'rails' (the rail-to-road boundary is poorly done and I saw a brand new fully loaded civic get badly bottomed out in front of me )

0805 chandragiri fort, tirupathi bypass (4L excellent, somewhere in the middle service road needs to be used since flyover construction going on) start

0830 rengunta big circle (take right for srikalahasti)

the roads from here to kalahasti are a mixed bag - horrible/bad/normal/good

0900 srikahakasti temple

they collect 50/- Rs for parking and the parking lot is such that nobody would park there even if it was free. (I seriously doubt whether the money is collected by authorities for this, the collectors looked like touts woken up from druken slumber and receipt printing looks like it is done by a 12-year old school kid although it carries the name of municipality etc)

we went for special darshan and it all finished by 1050

1100 start return journey

1300 lunch break at nandi plaza near chittor bypass (same one as bkfast)

1340 resume journey

1545 back into the snarling traffic of KR puram
(it took 45 mins to leave the signal before the hanging bridge, alight and descent the hanging bridge, take the u-turn, pass through KR puram rly station and then get to the ORR going south

1630 back home in sarjapur road
Old 17th November 2013, 01:11   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
0430 KR puram (holy mess, lunar surface)
Couple of problems:

- Use of Varthur road (SH35) to join the OMR beyond KR Puram
- Thats a good option, just that Varthur road in itself is outright pathetic from Whitefield flyover at Sai Baba ashram till the point it hits 4-lane.
- Also the Old Airport road from Marathalli to Whitefield.

Solution to beat this mess:

Sarjapur road - Sarjapur - NH207 to Hosur. Very good roads all the way. Take
the 4-lane from here.

Problems as of today :

- Thanks to Flyover on Sarjpur road takes you to divert through Carmelaram.
- That in the morning is a pain.

So to summarise the best option :

- KR Puram may be the best option.
- If its bad, SH35 via Whitefield to join 4-lane
Old 26th November 2013, 19:33   #614
BHPian

Visited Tirupathi over the weekend:

Thu
- 5:10 PM : Left Bangalore (hebbal - KR Puram -...)
- 6:20 PM : finally passed KR Puram and hit the high way
- 9:30 PM : stopped for dinner at Hotel Sindhu, Chittor (right Opp railway station entrance) food was good and place was clean!
- 10:50 PM : resumed travel
- 12:00 AM : reached Tirupathi

Stayed for the night at The Chakrie, 2000/- per night, 24 hours check out

Fri
- 11:30 AM : Headed for Tirumala, after breakfast at the 'eat in' in Chakrie (place best avoided, but have to say the pongal was good)

- 12:30 PM : Got in to the 300/- Darshan
There is a new entrance for 300/- now and a separate parking.

- 4:30 PM : done with the darshan
No sitting time, went right in and was standing from just two cells before the stairs for the bridge, crossing the two cells took 2 hours.

I felt this time the crowd has not been managed well and the crowd themselves and their no purpose pushing and pulling and no regard for women, children and aged - really sad.

- 6:00 PM : headed down
- 7:00 PM : great dinner at Minerva Grand
- 8:30 PM : as we had few hour more before I had to check out, decided to go check few hotels for future use...

And found this brand new Hotel SKS on the by-pass road, just started operations. Rooms were neat though slightly small. It has a Shanthi Sagar like eat out in the ground floor and a restaurant interior work in progress and the food at eat out was really good.

The pricing is good as well it sits between those under 1k ones which are really usually bad and the ones above 2k which are not that great either... (non A/C: 1200/-, A/C 1700/- & a suite (a bigger room really) 2k)

I moved in here for the night and have no complaints.

Nagendra, I suppose is one of the owners and was very helpful.
Phone: 0877-22-54-666
His Cell: 0 784 279 7160

Sat
After a leisure breakfast visited:
- Kapila Theertha
- ISKCON temple (had lunch here, very good one, if space permitted I would have drunk a liter of curds they provide )
- Alamelu Mangapura
- And finally Srinivasa Mangapura

Headed back to Bangalore around 6:30 PM.

This time I took the by-pass as I needed to reach Adigas before 9:00 PM. (daugher sleeping time )

I was vary especially the first 2 or 3 kms, but the rest of it was ok to drive.
So much has been written about rest of the roads on this thread, so will skip that...

Reached Adigas at 9:10 PM and headed home around 10:00 PM and in home at 11:30 PM.
ajitkumarlb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 06:41   #615
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
- 12:30 PM : Got in to the 300/- Darshan
There is a new entrance for 300/- now and a separate parking.
Could you give more details of where this parking place is and where the ticket queue entrance is (any landmarks/signs to identify these will help).

Quote:
And found this brand new Hotel SKS on the by-pass road, just started operations. ....
Thanks for the details!

Quote:
This time I took the by-pass as I needed to reach Adigas before 9:00 PM. (daugher sleeping time )

I was vary especially the first 2 or 3 kms, but the rest of it was ok to drive.
You mean the Chittoor bypass ?

Most Viewed