Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 14:44   #1096

Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Hi All,

I just completed a Bangalore - Tirupati trip during the deepavali weekend.

We visited the Mulbagal Sri Sripadarajara Mutt on the way during the onward journey to catch a glimpse of the Morning Puja and to have lunch.

Thanks to the suggestion in this thread, we took the Mulbagal - Punganur - Somala - Sadum - Rompicherla - Bhakarapeta route to reach our hotel in Tirupati. Our darshan was on the next day. We stayed at Hotel Raj Park, Tirupati.

The above route is quite good, very less traffic, except for a few stretches of narrow roads, where it can get a bit tricky with tractors, lorries etc coming in opposite direction. However, there are hardly any decent places for taking bio-breaks. However, it saves some amount of time as compared to usual route and offers a less stressful and a scenic drive through the country side.

We started our return journey on Sunday afternoon, after a visit to the Sri Venkateshwara Zoological park. For the return journey, I took the Zoo - Chandragiri - Kanipakam - Bangarupalem - Palamner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Hoskote route. With the road widening work going on, and multiple diversions, and the erratic traffic, this is quite a strenuous drive. I guess once the road widening is done, it should be a breeze to reach Tirupati and beyond.
theleapyes is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 11:14   #1097
Senior - BHPian

We (5 Old couples) are planning for a trip to Tirupati during 1st week of January 2019. We will be travelling on a Traveler hence no worry about routings, etc. However, when I checked TTD website accommodation and paid Darshan tickets are not available in the first week of January.

We are not worried about accommodation as we will manage to get rooms in private hotels but worried about Darshan

What are the other alternatives? Is there any other way to get Darshan tickets?
Or only we have to catch free Darshan queue??
Old 9th December 2018, 13:39   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
We (5 Old couples) are planning for a trip to Tirupati during 1st week of January 2019. We will be travelling on a Traveler hence no worry about routings, etc. However, when I checked TTD website accommodation and paid Darshan tickets are not available in the first week of January.

We are not worried about accommodation as we will manage to get rooms in private hotels but worried about Darshan

What are the other alternatives? Is there any other way to get Darshan tickets?
Or only we have to catch free Darshan queue??
As you said you all are old couples (assuming you are above 60), i strongly recommend you all to take the Senior Citizen queue which will be much better for you to get darshan with less difficulty. (No need to climb stairs, no waiting in cages and no big serpentine queues etc)
Twice a day they have the darshan open for senior citizens, so please carry Aadhar card/required ID proof for age. IIRC, morning Senior citizen queue opens at 10 am and evening one opens at 3 pm. So you have to enter the queue much ahead at least 2 hours before, so that you can get a seat and wait for an hour or two. They will serve something to drink/eat free of cost.
Once the queue is opened, you can finish the darshan in just 1 hour where all other darshan queues are blocked, that way it will be much easier to finish darshan.

More details below :
https://gotirupati.com/senior-citize...shan-tirumala/
http://www.tirumala.org/SpecialDarsh...edAndAged.aspx

If anyone is not meeting age criteria in your group, unfortunately only those may have to take Rs. 300 ticket if available, else free darshan.

Hope this helps.

-Ravi

Last edited by ampere : 9th December 2018 at 20:50. Reason: typo fixed
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 14:14   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @ravib for the details / clarification.

Yes, we are all above 60 but under 65. The link provided by you says that TTD considers age 65 and above are Senior citizen. So, we are out of this category (India Government considers age 60 and above are Senior Citizen but as per TTD one must be 65 years old to qualify as a senior citizen
Old 27th December 2018, 23:58   #1100
BHPian

Planning to go to Tirupati on weekend 29th Dec. Is regular route through Chittoor manageable or better to take Punganur route? My kid is only one old so please suggest.
Old 31st December 2018, 09:55   #1101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

On the other hand, I see that there is another route that connects Hebbani village(after we enter KA) to Nangli. This will help us enter the NH right at Nangli. Has anyone tried or is willing to try this one?

Attachment 1789611
So right now what we have tested is route A. B and C look similar, especially with route B remaining on the NH for a longer duration.

Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries-capture.jpg

So, I spoke to a colleague who went to Tirupati last week. He took Route-A (via Voddahalli-Byrakur-Hebbani-Punganur) while going to Tirupati. While returning back he came via Route-B (via Hebbani-Mudigere-Nangali). This is what he had to say:

Finding Route-B exit at Hebbani was little tricky. The initial bit is narrow through the Hebbani village. Though it gets wider after Hebbani it is still narrower and little bumpier compared to Route-A via Byrakur. Road becomes smoother and little wider only when you are about 2-3 kms from Mudigere (where you join NH4). Also Route-B is more desolate in most stretches compared to Route-A. Only very few hamlets in Route-B.
Route-B is motorable but overall Route-A via Byrakur is the better option.
He had no idea about Route-C.

Also, he mentioned that the section just after KA-AP border from Rajupalli to Punganur was a pain to traverse (about 7-8 kms). The road was narrow and the shoulder is uneven with deep ditches on either side. One has to give way to oncoming traffic by getting Left wheels carefully off the road.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by srvm : 31st December 2018 at 10:00.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 17:15   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Did a Tirumala-Bangalore trip over the weekend and both for my onward as well as return journey took the route suggested by Google.

Onward & Return BLR-Kolar-Mulbagal-Palamner-Kanipakam-Tirumala

As discussed earlier here, excellent roads until Mulbagal and managebale beyond. Roads do get narrow after Palamner and one will have to make way for oncoming traffic but at no point was it a concern even in a low GC car with 5 passengers and boot full of luggage.

On my return journey,I was able to reach Mulbagal in about 3.5 hours from Alipiri Gate and despite it being a Sunday, traffic was sparse and drive a LOT more stress-free compared to via Chittoor where one has to plan each and every overtake carefully. The drive from Bangarupalem to where the toll road begins with numerous deviations was the only sore point.

On my previous trip in November, I decided to take Tirumala-Pulicherla-Kallur-Punganur-Mulbagal-Bangalore, which was also excellent, however there is a 10-15 kms stretch just before we hit NH-206 where the road is about 6-10 inches from the sand shoulder and the sand shoulder is full of much larger potholes, this stretch can be quite tricky if you have a low GC car on full load when you have to make way for oncoming traffic.

Henceforth, I'll probably stick to Kanipakam route until the road widening is completed, considering there is no worry even if one's driving a low GC car.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 9th January 2019 at 17:21.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 10:42   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Did a Tirumala-Bangalore trip over the weekend and both for my onward as well as return journey took the route suggested by Google.

Onward & Return BLR-Kolar-Mulbagal-Palamner-Kanipakam-Tirumala
Henceforth, I'll probably stick to Kanipakam route until the road widening is completed, considering there is no worry even if one's driving a low GC car.
Thanks shashank. Can you please elaborate on the route after Mulbagal to Tirumala?
My guess: Cross Palamner, Take left at Bangarupalem, via Aragonda, reach Kanipakkam. Then go via Chittoor bypass, Murukambattu, Putalapattu, Chandragiri?

If the above is correct, then the bad section with diversions is present only between Nangali toll plaza and Bangarupalem, right?
Old 18th January 2019, 12:53   #1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Thanks @ravib for the details / clarification.

Yes, we are all above 60 but under 65. The link provided by you says that TTD considers age 65 and above are Senior citizen. So, we are out of this category (India Government considers age 60 and above are Senior Citizen but as per TTD one must be 65 years old to qualify as a senior citizen
Yes this is true and they don't allow citizens below 65 in senior citizen queue. So keep that in mind. It is sad that TTD is not considering senior citizen between age 60-65.
thp2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 14:13   #1105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thp2017 View Post
It is sad that TTD is not considering senior citizen between age 60-65.
Well, the very purpose of bringing in this system was to allow people who werent in a position to stand in long queues to obtain entry into the temple easily. However, it became a common practice for fit and healthy senior citizens to make use of this facility and the crowds were pretty large. In between this crowd, the ones who actually needed such a facility were inconvenienced. It so happened that there were incidents where some of the people in this group were inconsiderate and they were not considerate enough towards the more deserving ones. Hence, the age bar was raised and each entrant to the queue is scrutinized. Now, the crowds are limited but they are usually the ones who find it difficult to walk, have some disability etc and they are assisted by their own assistants or volunteers.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:23   #1106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
So, I spoke to a colleague who went to Tirupati last week. He took Route-A (via Voddahalli-Byrakur-Hebbani-Punganur) while going to Tirupati. While returning back he came via Route-B (via Hebbani-Mudigere-Nangali). This is what he had to say:

Here is my edited/illustrated edition on your snippet:

- Last section is single lane and rough.
- Entry to that last section to Punganur is quite broken
- But on the whole the Vodahalli options works much better

Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries-capture.jpg

As to crossing Punganur:
- Entry is via a bund road and one needs to be careful esp at night.
- The usual bypass sometimes gets chocked (I suspect all the time). Hence for small cars/private vehicles I would suggest the alternate options.

One for example:

Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries-punganur_bypass.jpg
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:47   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The broken section is repaired and is smooth now as on 14th December. As I usually travel on a monthly basis on this stretch I take it really slow when travelling on that narrow 9km stretch before Punganur. With less speed it's easier to plan when to get off and get back on the road. If I I see a big vehicle coming ahead I look for a relatively smooth area on the shoulder to stop and let him pass. After all it's just 9 km stretch so I may loose at the most 10-15 min, but it's way less stressful.

Last edited by damodar : 22nd January 2019 at 12:48.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:51   #1108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Onward & Return BLR-Kolar-Mulbagal-Palamner-Kanipakam-Tirumala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I usually travel on a monthly basis on this stretch I take it really slow when travelling on that narrow 9km stretch before Punganur.
Which route do you guys suggest for a driver who is not an expert and not a car-enthusiast ? He is driving an Eon, and would normally follow google maps without much modifications.
Old 3rd February 2019, 22:55   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which route do you guys suggest for a driver who is not an expert and not a car-enthusiast ? He is driving an Eon, and would normally follow google maps without much modifications.
The Palamaner-Kanipakam-Tirupati route would be better for him. Leaving tommorow morning to Vijayawada will take the regular Chitoor route and update the route condition by tomorrow evening.
damodar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 09:11   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
regular Chitoor route
Regular Chittoor route update from last month is here (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks