Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2020, 00:42   #1201
BHPian
 
SKC-auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: KA01/AP31
Posts: 662
Thanked: 1,497 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Is this Puttur a wide 2 lane road? Also how is the traffic while crossing Puttur town? I drive a Hexa and in some situations i do face problems crossing narrow underpasses like in Arakonam. Also how much time did it take for you to from Chittoor to Renigunta via this route?
Yes, it's a 2 lane road, but very wide, wide enough to fit 3 cars safely. I crossed Puttur at 6:30am, there was not much traffic at the time, but there was some vegetable market along the road, where it could take sometime at normal hours. There are no underpasses, no narrow roads. I have not noted the exact times, but this road is 9km longer than tirupati road, there is no place I wasted time, most of the time doing 80-100kmph which is not possible on the tirupati road.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 10:30   #1202
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: VGA<->BLR
Posts: 595
Thanked: 1,683 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Yes, it's a 2 lane road, but very wide, wide enough to fit 3 cars safely.
Since you crossed at 6:30 am should have been a breeze to travel. Did you take the route via Karveti Nagar to reach Puttur?
damodar is offline  
Old 4th October 2020, 11:49   #1203
BHPian
 
SKC-auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: KA01/AP31
Posts: 662
Thanked: 1,497 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Since you crossed at 6:30 am should have been a breeze to travel. Did you take the route via Karveti Nagar to reach Puttur?
Yes, via Karvetinagar. I liked the road very much, it's scenic as well, three cars can cross at 80kmph safely that wide, wider than the old Chittoor Tirupati road. There are no petrol bunks or hotels, if you don't mind you could get fresh idlis and dosas at road side small family hotels. You can try once instead of the Kanipakkam road, in the worst case you will loose 20mins but your car will be happy. Happy car, Happy BHPians.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 13:21   #1204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: VGA<->BLR
Posts: 595
Thanked: 1,683 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Yes, via Karvetinagar. I liked the road very much, it's scenic as well, three cars can cross at 80kmph safely that wide, wider than the old Chittoor Tirupati road. There are no petrol bunks or hotels, if you don't mind you could get fresh idlis and dosas at road side small family hotels. You can try once instead of the Kanipakkam road, in the worst case you will loose 20mins but your car will be happy. Happy car, Happy BHPians.
Tried all the routes to avoid Chitoor-Tirupati stretch but didn't try this one. Thanks for updating about this route to you and @srvm.
With the road widening works happening between Chittoor and Puttalpattu it's become a pain stuck behind heavy vehicles and the car breathing all the dust raised from them.

Last edited by damodar : 4th October 2020 at 13:24.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 13:41   #1205
Newbie
 
abhi_krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 11
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

I am planning to drive from Pune to Tirupati in two weeks from now. Pune to Bengaluru should not be a challenge. Is there a tried and tested stopover hotel on the way from Bengaluru to Tirupati where I can maybe rest for the night, before leaving for Tirupati early morning.
abhi_krishna is offline  
Old 12th October 2020, 14:00   #1206
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_krishna View Post
I am planning to drive from Pune to Tirupati in two weeks from now. Pune to Bengaluru should not be a challenge. Is there a tried and tested stopover hotel on the way from Bengaluru to Tirupati where I can maybe rest for the night, before leaving for Tirupati early morning.
To be honest, actually none really AFAIK. Though there are few hotels, they are not good or best to stay IMO.
The best is to stay in Bangalore or in Tirupati, not in between. Nowadays it takes only about 3.5 hours to 4 hours drive between Bangalore to Tirupati. So, suggest you to better stay in Bangalore and then drive to Tirupati next day.
Of course, needless to say, even in Bangalore, take all covid pre-cautions and identify a safe hotel!

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:27   #1207
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 645
Thanked: 2,232 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Yes, it's a 2 lane road, but very wide, wide enough to fit 3 cars safely. I crossed Puttur at 6:30am, there was not much traffic at the time, but there was some vegetable market along the road, where it could take sometime at normal hours. There are no underpasses, no narrow roads. I have not noted the exact times, but this road is 9km longer than tirupati road, there is no place I wasted time, most of the time doing 80-100kmph which is not possible on the tirupati road.
SKC-Auto: Thanks for the update in this thread where it is also relevant.


Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Since you crossed at 6:30 am should have been a breeze to travel. Did you take the route via Karveti Nagar to reach Puttur?
Route is: Bangalore- Chittoor (go inside town) - Gangadhara Nellore (GD Nellore) - Pallipattu - Karveti Nagar - Puttur - Renigunta.
Puttur town is doable anytime. Not too long a stretch through it. Just be alert like any other small town.
srvm is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 16:19   #1208
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 645
Thanked: 2,232 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
...
Good news is that the new road being layed from Chittoor bypass to Tirupati route goes closer via Kanipakkam and is a very very broad 6L road. Almost 50% of the road is ready and active work is going on. Once this road is opened for public, the driving time to Tirupati will come down between 3 to 3.5 hours. Currently Google Maps can't show the new road under construction, so maps are not useful if you take the Kanipakkam route.
....
-Ravi
Guess what showed up today while checking out GMaps around Kanipakkam? The 6 lane road starting near Kanipakkam and ending at Putalapattu junction

Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries-knpkm.png

I guess soon Google will start suggesting this road for navigation.
I have driven twice in 2019 on this road - once in July in daytime and again in August in night time. It was pitch dark and super scary with not a soul nearby.
Sub-4 hour journey to Tirupati is looking a possibility now (including comfort breaks), atleast for folks starting from East Bangalore side.

Last edited by srvm : 16th October 2020 at 16:36.
srvm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 19:20   #1209
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Guess what showed up today while checking out GMaps around Kanipakkam? The 6 lane road starting near Kanipakkam and ending at Putalapattu junction

Attachment 2068778

I guess soon Google will start suggesting this road for navigation.
I have driven twice in 2019 on this road - once in July in daytime and again in August in night time. It was pitch dark and super scary with not a soul nearby.
Sub-4 hour journey to Tirupati is looking a possibility now (including comfort breaks), atleast for folks starting from East Bangalore side.
Great. Thanks for still remembering my old post and quoting it back, which i myself forgot. Blame the lockdown and covid

Also, i noticed that http://ttdsevaonline.com/ website is now https://tirupatibalaji.ap.gov.in/. Kids below 11 years and senior citizens are not allowed. So those who are making a trip, please make a note.

I am in dilemma whether to do a Tirupati trip or not due to covid. Still thinking...

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:38   #1210
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 385
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Hello, is an e-pass required to enter Andhra Pradesh as on date ? if i want to visit Tirupati from Bangalore, do i need to register and obtain an E-Pass ?
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:49   #1211
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5,596
Thanked: 8,855 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello, is an e-pass required to enter Andhra Pradesh as on date ? if i want to visit Tirupati from Bangalore, do i need to register and obtain an E-Pass ?
I'm also interested in a response to this query!

Have a Tirupati SED (2300 slot unfortunately) scheduled for end-November. Plan is to leave mid-morning and drive down from my residence near KIAL. Reach within daylight and check into a budget hotel, freshen up and proceed to darshan. Come back down, spend the night in the hotel and leave early-ish next morning.

ePass:

Do we need an ePass? I think not but I will obviously try and procure one to be safe.

Route:
Which route from north BLR considering I'll leave around noon?
Google Maps suggesting the following:
1. KIAL-Chintamani-Madnapalle-Kalikiri-Pileru-Tirumala (246 km): https://goo.gl/maps/LiRP3GGqQ6x9XLfB9
2. KIAL-Hoskote-Kolar-Mulbagal-Kanipakkam-Tirumala (269 km): https://goo.gl/maps/HC63iSSi3xKZPUhn8
Any thoughts? Distance is NOT a factor but I want minimal broken roads and/or mountainous speed breakers.

Accomodation:
Any recommendations on which hotel to book in with proper precautions etc.?

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd November 2020 at 12:01.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:24   #1212
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Hello, is an e-pass required to enter Andhra Pradesh as on date ? if i want to visit Tirupati from Bangalore, do i need to register and obtain an E-Pass ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'm also interested in a response to this query!

Have a Tirupati SED (2300 slot unfortunately) scheduled for end-November. Plan is to leave mid-morning and drive down from my residence near KIAL. Reach within daylight and check into a budget hotel, freshen up and proceed to darshan. Come back down, spend the night in the hotel and leave early-ish next morning.

ePass:

Do we need an ePass? I think not but I will obviously try and procure one to be safe.

Route:
Which route from north BLR considering I'll leave around noon?
Google Maps suggesting the following:
1. KIAL-Chintamani-Madnapalle-Kalikiri-Pileru-Tirumala (246 km): https://goo.gl/maps/LiRP3GGqQ6x9XLfB9
2. KIAL-Hoskote-Kolar-Mulbagal-Kanipakkam-Tirumala (269 km): https://goo.gl/maps/HC63iSSi3xKZPUhn8
Any thoughts? Distance is NOT a factor but I want minimal broken roads and/or mountainous speed breakers.

Accomodation:
Any recommendations on which hotel to book in with proper precautions etc.?
You don't need any ePass to enter AP or return back to KA.

@itwasntme, couple of points for you.

1) Stick to regular route via kolar. Don't take Chintamani route due to bad road conditions as we heard last and also the Kolar route is fastest.
2) You mentioned that your Darshan is at 11 pm. Please be aware traffic between Tirumala and Alipiri is prohibited between 12 midnight to 3 am.
So i am really not sure, if you can finish darshan by 11 pm, collect laddus, walk back to car and drive past the Tirumala toll gate to reach Tirupati so fast. In the past, for such late darshans, i had to end up sleeping in car till 3 am and waited till the Tirumala Toll gate is opened. Also, too many vehicles and buses will be waiting in the queue as soon as the gates open at 3 am.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 13:02   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 5,596
Thanked: 8,855 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
2) You mentioned that your Darshan is at 11 pm. Please be aware traffic between Tirumala and Alipiri is prohibited between 12 midnight to 3 am.
So i am really not sure, if you can finish darshan by 11 pm, collect laddus, walk back to car and drive past the Tirumala toll gate to reach Tirupati so fast. In the past, for such late darshans, i had to end up sleeping in car till 3 am and waited till the Tirumala Toll gate is opened. Also, too many vehicles and buses will be waiting in the queue as soon as the gates open at 3 am.
Thank you! Wasn't aware of this 0000-0300 road closure.

Does anyone have an idea if this is currently in force, or temporarily waived to avoid heavy congestion at 0300? Given we do not want to rush this annual trip, I might forego the 2300 slot and rebook once the December quota opens.

When do the slots open as such during these COVID-19 times? December is still not released.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:06   #1214
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 1,516 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thank you! Wasn't aware of this 0000-0300 road closure.

Does anyone have an idea if this is currently in force, or temporarily waived to avoid heavy congestion at 0300? Given we do not want to rush this annual trip, I might forego the 2300 slot and rebook once the December quota opens.

When do the slots open as such during these COVID-19 times? December is still not released.
Its a standard practice and a regular rule. Not temporary one or not waived off due to covid etc. Its more for people safety, wild life as well in the hills, though its debatable as traffic is permitted in other time till midnight.

NOvember quota was release a week back and now its full. December quota may be released in 3rd week of November. My guess....

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 13:28   #1215
BHPian
 
Rajesh K R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 385
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Bangalore to Tirupati : Route Queries

We did a Tirumal trip last Tuesday / Wednesday. No e-pass required/ asked for. No stoppages for cars with families near AP border (Palamner CP). Cars with only men were stopped and their luggage scrutinised.

The time slots for both uphill and downhill are not followed now. Earlier we had a timing of 28 mins for uphill and 45 mins for downhill drives - and a display board mentioning the actual timing of the vehicle.

Other than that everything normal. Silathoranam/ Vishnupadam remain off limits now. we were not allowed to go there.

We had the darshan in 20 mins. (Entry to exit) No stopping anywhere.
Rajesh K R is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks