Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2010, 23:12   #61
rkg
Senior - BHPian

there is little chance of any trouble till 28th jan. even after also it seems unlikely. only if central govt makes some announcement on telangana one may face trouble in chittor district
Old 10th February 2010, 08:57   #62
BHPian

Im planning to drive to Tirupati on 20th Jan.

Any latest info on routes and road condition?

Is Kolar route fixed now?
Old 11th February 2010, 20:49   #63
BHPian

Devrajman - how was your trip? did the road condition improve?
Old 12th February 2010, 08:13   #64
BHPian

Sorry, Im planning to trip on 20th Feb and not 20th Jan.

I havent received any responce on this thread on route condition.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:25   #65
knp
BHPian

I had used this route on last Sunday, the route is still not complete, but it's lot better.
In most of the places from Mulabagal to Bangalore stretch, we have to use the one side of the widened road for both the ways and the traffic was smoother.
Old 12th February 2010, 08:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
I had used this route on last Sunday, the route is still not complete, but it's lot better.
In most of the places from Mulabagal to Bangalore stretch, we have to use the one side of the widened road for both the ways and the traffic was smoother.
So how much time does it take and what time did you leave Blore?
Old 12th February 2010, 08:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

I visited Tirupati 3 weeks ago. Left Bangalore 6 am, reached Tirupati at around 12 noon.

Had b'fast at Kamath on the way. Roads till Kolar are under construction, after that Ok although you have to drive on the other side in a few places.
Old 15th February 2010, 16:13   #68
BHPian

Watch out for the Chitoor bye-pass that will save you from the Chitoor city traffic. Except for the road work and diversions at Kolar, the BLR-Tirupati drive is an enjoyable one. Mind the heat if you are traveling during afternoons !
Old 18th February 2010, 21:14   #69
BHPian

yeah just completed the drive. Till Kolar it is worst. After that its OK. Once you leave Karnataka, the other side of roads are good. I drove nights friday night and returned by Saturday Mid night.

Left at 5 PM from Maratha Halli - Reached Tirupati by 10:30 PM

Saturday started at 7 PM from Tirumala - reached BNG by 1:15 AM

Be very careful till Kolar, there are many humps unmarked and pot holes. I lost my Wheel cap and my rim was slightly bent in a Pot hole while going to Tirupati after Hoskote.

Last edited by Fordy : 18th February 2010 at 21:17. Reason: Spelling Mistake
Old 18th February 2010, 21:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

As some members have already stated earlier, going via Kuppam is an alternative. While returning from Tirupati, I took this route.

After about 4 km from Palamner, there's a left turn towards Krishnagiri immediately after the forest check post. NH219 - this road is scenic with forests and a few ghat sections in between. Hardly any traffic, apart from a few small towns in between. Works out to 310 km. Road is in good condition although it's a 2 laner.

A word of caution though - avoid taking the Kuppam route at night - it may not be entirely safe.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:34   #71
BHPian

I will be starting at 5AM tomorrow for Tirupati...
Any TeamBHPian traveling tomorrow..?

Also, Any SHELL petrol pump or good pump mid-way ? Is petrol in AP cheaper than here?

Last edited by devrajman : 19th February 2010 at 10:35.
Old 21st February 2010, 14:29   #72
BHPian

Back from Tirupati!

Yesterday I had been to Tirupati. I was driving a Carb '99Zen. Got a mileage of 15.5 kmpl with 50% AC and speeds of 80-110kmph with Shell normal petrol filled at station near ISKCON for around 52.5 rs/l.

We started at 4:45AM from Malleshwaram. Stopped twice. Once for quick tea and another for snacks which we packed from home. There was lots of fog for abt 15-20 kms. Couple of times visibily was not even 10 mts!! We reached Tirumala Toll Booth at 9:45AM which is 4.5 hrs which I think its great. My target was to reach the queue by 10:30AM. Hence didnt miss a mile to press the pedal. However not over-speed! :-)

On our way back, we started from Padmavati Temple at 6PM and reached Malleshwaram at 1:20AM!! We stopped four times, once for Dinner, once for change of type due to puncture, once for repairing for the same and lastly for tea. I was really wild at all tea shops. They have those big metal pots to prepare tea but its only for SHOW!

Coming to road conditions. I took BLR->HOSKOTE->KOLAR->MULGABAL->CHITTOR->TIRUPATI. And same route back. BLR->TIRUPATI Toll Booth clocked 280kms.

BLR <-> MULGABAL road quality is average but the diversions become killer with totally unexpected pot holes, speed brakers, unmarked roads. At night during our way back, the lights from trucks and buses were dazzling! They had 2-3 pairs of lights ALL ON AND ALL HIGH I could hardly see any road of mine. I had 90/100 lights myself which were totally useless against these guys! Traffic was average both the times with no rash/mindless drivers. I was totally cornered twice while volvo (APSRTC) was overtaking from opp direction. One needs to be very careful on this road. Pot holes are rim benders. Bottom scraching speed breakers.

MULGABAL <-> CHITTOR gets better. Good roads, normal traffic. However one lane. CHITTOR <-> TIRUPATI is a breeze drive. One can cruise at 100kmph easily.

Overall I would not take BLR <-> CHITTOR till GQ work is over and these idiots are done and over with road diversions and unmarked spine breakers!!

I regretted not taking Krishnagiri route and trying to save 70+70kms.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:19   #73
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Watch out for the Chitoor bye-pass that will save you from the Chitoor city traffic. Except for the road work and diversions at Kolar, the BLR-Tirupati drive is an enjoyable one. Mind the heat if you are traveling during afternoons !
Going through chittor is much better than bypass especially if it is night. In chittor we will not be seeing the traffic jams of Bangalore. it is shorter by 3-4 Km. it is one straight road.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

The last time I visited Tirupati I took the bypass while going. While returning I missed the bypass and had to go through the town.

I would prefer the bypass over going through the town.
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

I would strongly recommend driving on GQ from Bangalore till Vellore and then go via Katpadi - Chitoor. You can easily do Bangalore - Vellore in less than 3 hrs if you start early. Vellore - Katpadi has heavy traffic depending on the time of day. Katpadi - Chitoor is ok. I had a post on this route some pages back. Please check.

Palmaner - Krishnagiri - Kuppam is also awesome. Beautiful stretch with very less traffic.. Couple of small ghat sections and some small villages/towns.

There is another route via Gudiyattam that connects to somewhere on the NH4. Have to try that out next time. Just after Ambur and right at the Pachakuppam railway bridge on the GQ you will find the road to Gudiyattam. From Gudiyattam the road hits NH4 somewhere near Palmaner. This could be the shortest route but not so tried out route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks