Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 21:18   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai - Kolkata : Route Queries

^^^
Just to be precise, I would say 'was, and most probably still is' shambles.

Once a road lands up with a reputation of being bad, and there are alternatives, that road is avoided. So even if it improves, one does not come to know of it.

May I suggest that the current wanderlust infected young band of TBhpians take the road less traveled (nay, make that avoided) and report back.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 23:01   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Got a little bit confused. I was originally thinking of NH2(Durgapur)-SH9(Durgapur-Bankura)-NH60(Bankura-Bishnupur) to Bishnupur which would also be the return route. Should one not take that? Are you talking of SH2 through Tarakeshwar/Arambagh when one travels to Bishnupur from Kolkata? How is the road condition of SH2?
Just today I came across one person who is a car driver by profession and is very familiar with the roads in those areas. I was told that for persons travelling with their own cars, the best route at present to reach Bishnupur from Calcutta is to take NH 2. I was told to turn left from NH 2 towards Tarakeswar. The same road will lead one towards Champadanga (driving 42 KM after leaving NH 2). From Champadanga bus stand one is to take the road going towards right to reach Arambagh. Again after crossing Arambagh bus stand one has to drive for about one KM to reach Arambagh bridge. Immediately after crossing the bridge please take the road going towards left, to reach Kamarpukur. From Kamarpukur island please turn right for Vengai Road, go to Kotulpur, Joypur and Bishnupur. The road surface is good throughout.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 10:16   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
May I suggest that the current wanderlust infected young band of TBhpians take the road less traveled (nay, make that avoided) and report back.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta da I am all game for it provided I get my own 4X4 soon . The only catch is the insurgents in these troubled areas can mistake all M&M (who sell the only affordable 4X4s in India) for government or law enforcement vehicles.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 20th April 2012 at 10:21.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:14   #94
BHPian

Hi,

After a lot of thought, am planning the following route from Mumbai to Kolkata. Please let me know if this looks feasible. (Was going to write do-able, but just remembered the difference between do-able and feasible).

May 8 - Mumbai-Kota via Ahmedabad. No stop at Ahmedabad. Night halt at Kota.
May 9 - Kota-Varanasi
May 10 - Varanasi
May 11 - Varanasi - Bodh Gaya - Bishnupur
May 12 - Bishnupur
May 13 - Bishnupur - Kolkata via Arambagh

May 14 and 15 - Kolkata
May 16 - Kolkata - Allahabad
May 17 - Allahabad - Pench via Jabalpur
May 18 - Pench
May 19 - Pench - Mumbai via Nagpur, Jalna, Aurangabad

Would please request some feedback. Especially so on the Allahabad-Pench route.

Will be driving a Yeti. Wife also insists that I take my driver along as a relief driver. Thanks in advance.
Old 21st April 2012, 16:47   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Hi,

After a lot of thought, am planning the following route from Mumbai to Kolkata. Please let me know if this looks feasible. (Was going to write do-able, but just remembered the difference between do-able and feasible).

May 8 - Mumbai-Kota via Ahmedabad. No stop at Ahmedabad. Night halt at Kota.
May 9 - Kota-Varanasi
May 10 - Varanasi
May 12 - Bishnupur
May 13 - Bishnupur - Kolkata via Arambagh

May 14 and 15 - Kolkata
May 16 - Kolkata - Allahabad
May 17 - Allahabad - Pench via Jabalpur
May 18 - Pench
May 19 - Pench - Mumbai via Nagpur, Jalna, Aurangabad

Would please request some feedback. Especially so on the Allahabad-Pench route.

Will be driving a Yeti. Wife also insists that I take my driver along as a relief driver. Thanks in advance.
Will be very fast-paced. Not an easy Day 1 & 2. Need early morning start (~4 am), no-break driving till late night to reach destination.

Allahabad-Jabalpur is via Rewa, Maihar, Umariya & Shahpura. If you do not want to touch Jabalpur, then from Dindori, proceed through Kanha to Seoni.

Taking along paid drivers is a bad idea because they will want breaks, won't drive fast enough & will infringe on your privacy.
Old 21st April 2012, 19:17   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Will be very fast-paced. Not an easy Day 1 & 2. Need early morning start (~4 am), no-break driving till late night to reach destination.

Allahabad-Jabalpur is via Rewa, Maihar, Umariya & Shahpura. If you do not want to touch Jabalpur, then from Dindori, proceed through Kanha to Seoni.

Taking along paid drivers is a bad idea because they will want breaks, won't drive fast enough & will infringe on your privacy.
Thanks Sir,

Completely agree on the driver. But when its a command from the BOSS, its better to accept it and move on I guess.

Would it then make more sense to start on the afternoon of the 7th, take a break at Surat and then move to Kota from Surat on the 8th as originally planned? While returning, have kept a spare day so that if necessary will stop at Aurangabad.

Regards
Old 21st April 2012, 20:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May 12 - Bishnupur
Hi,
Personally, I don't think there is anything in Bishnupur to spend a night. In your place, would break journey in Durgapur (which also has a range of hotels), and leave early for Bishnupur the next day, and then on to Calcutta.

From Bishnupur, the route is via Arambagh and Tarakeswar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Fully agree. If they are your regular driver, their well being takes up a significant amount of time.

Why not use him to take the vehicle across the transport sector, at an easier pace, and meet up with him at, say Varanasi.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st April 2012, 21:40   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Would it then make more sense to start on the afternoon of the 7th, take a break at Surat and then move to Kota from Surat on the 8th as originally planned? While returning, have kept a spare day so that if necessary will stop at Aurangabad.

Regards
Excellent idea to start in the afternoon, when traffic on NH8 is at its lowest. There are no good hotels on Surat Bypass, but if you can push ahead to Ankleshwar, there are good hotels there.
Old 21st April 2012, 22:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Sutripta da I am all game for it provided I get my own 4X4 soon . The only catch is the insurgents in these troubled areas can mistake all M&M (who sell the only affordable 4X4s in India) for government or law enforcement vehicles.
Hi,
You game for bikes?

Actually, we are going to check out 'roads'. If we are not pressed for time, can be done without a 4x4. Though a high ground clearance is an advantage.

Doesn't someone in the Calcutta young always ready for a road trip TBhp group have a Pajero?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st April 2012, 23:03   #100
BHPian

Quote:
You game for bikes?
Sorry Sutripta da, don't have a motorized or an un-motorized bike

Quote:
Doesn't someone in the Calcutta young always ready for a road trip TBhp group have a Pajero?
Yes TBHP member Debarshi (handle: debarshim) is a proud owner of a Pajero. And as far as I know he is always ready for a road trip
Old 9th May 2012, 12:37   #101
BHPian

Bad News! The better half finally decided that driving to Kolkata in summer is not something she would like to do. So we've finally decided that we will drive to Nainital. Starting tomorrow morning (May 10).
Old 24th May 2012, 18:15   #102
BHPian

Came back on Saturday from Nainital. Had a great trip and some wonderful drives. Now having got some comfort about my driving, my wife is quite keen to do a drive to Kolkata. Not immediately of course, but in November around Diwali, which is when my daughters have their vacation. So lets hope for the best.
satrab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 21:02   #103
BHPian

Hello..
I am planning to drive down to Durgapur WB from Pune MH on November time frame.. based on various advises, Pune - Nagpur on Day 1 is confirmed.. I am confused on the second lap that is the following
Nagpur - Sambalpur - Day 2 leaving at 4 AM in the morning. (Confirmed)
Sambalpur - ?

Can you please advise, based on current road conditions and your personal experiences. Some of the areas are disturbed, as per media reports.. any words of caution?

Thanks
Deep
Old 15th August 2012, 22:58   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedeep View Post
Hello..
I am planning to drive down to Durgapur WB from Pune MH on November time frame.. based on various advises, Pune - Nagpur on Day 1 is confirmed.. I am confused on the second lap that is the following
Nagpur - Sambalpur - Day 2 leaving at 4 AM in the morning. (Confirmed)
Sambalpur - ?

Can you please advise, based on current road conditions and your personal experiences. Some of the areas are disturbed, as per media reports.. any words of caution?

Thanks
Deep
Nagpur-Sambalpur can be easily done in a day. Try Hotel Sheela Towers.
Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur-Calcutta-Durgapur is also easily done in a day.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 18:15   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

Nagpur-Sambalpur can be easily done in a day. Try Hotel Sheela Towers.
Sambalpur-Keonjhar-Kharagpur-Calcutta-Durgapur is also easily done in a day.
I agree. I have done this trip thrice, it's easily doable. However, road upto WB border after leaving Oddisha is terrible. Be prepared.
deepakkher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks