Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2007, 17:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Satish and kkr2k2.
I've deferrred my Vizag trip owing to my wife's work that suddenly cropped up for Monday.
We are going to Srisailam instead on Sunday.
Old 10th January 2008, 11:12   #17

hyd - kkd trip - need additional inputs

I'm planning on a Hyd - Kakinada trip this Sankranti weekend. After taking in all the info available on TBHP (statish, akroy and others) I've come to the conculsion that the Hyd - Vjwda - Raj - Kkd route is the current prefferred options because of bad stretched on the Khammam route.

My plan is to start by 5:00 AM at Hyd. My logic is -

- cover that the initial double road stretch in the darkness at high speeds since there is unlikely to be outgoing traffic from Hyd
- cover the stretch till Vijayawada by 11 - 12 while I'm still fresh
- Break for an hour either at Vijayawada or Eluru
- NH5 will be a dream

Both my brother and uncle have pointed out two serious flaws -

- we will be travelling east - the sun will be in the eyes
- once the double road is over - there will be buses/trucks of the opposite side intruding into the lane

The combination of sun in the eyes & buses/trucks coming from the other side is a real bad idea.

Has anybody experienced this themselves. Is it advisable to start a bit *later* so that the traffic coming into Hyd has come down?

Is there a time limit for the buses/trucks to enter into the city? If yes what is it?

The final question - regarding the trip back - are there any timing recommendations - should we start early morning or in evening?
Old 10th January 2008, 13:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Srinik, your plan seems to be pretty good. If you start at 5am you will encounter very less traffic going towards Vijayawada so you should be covering this distance latest by 10am. And, from there on you will have the NH5 with dividers. If you start by 12pm, you should be in vizag by 7-8pm. Couple of ways to beat the sun on the eyes is to use the sun visor all the way, it really helps or you can wear sunglasses, i dont think it is such a big problem. I am going for a day drive to Basar on saturday and if the sun gives me trouble, i use the visor, thats it.

Usually the time limit for trucks to enter into the city is a maximum of 7am in most cities across India.

Stick to the same routine even while traveling back. Day driving is much safer even though you may cover less ground during day driving. While coming back you may have bumper to bumper traffic from Vijayawada to Hyderabad as you will be covering this stretch late in the afternoon, so dont worry relax and be mentally prepared. Enjoy your drive and be safe!
Old 10th January 2008, 13:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

mobike008--He is traveling to Kakinada, not Vizag. So I guess he will branch off to the right of NH5 after Rajamundry.

srinik74--I agree that travelling with the sun on you eyes is a pain, but you can always use the sun visors. But be wary, as silver coloured vehicles are less easy to spot in such situations. I don't mean to scare you, but James Dean, a famous hollywood actor had a fatal accident in similar cicumstances. So drive slow and safe.
I don't think you can avoid truck traffic by starting later, and they are a real pain, as they travel very slowly in herds of 7 to 8, and are very difficult to overtake. Even a bike coming in the opp. direction might stall you from an overtaking venture. I faced similar problems during my drive to Mumbai last month. After overtaking around 20 of such 'herds', I got pretty tired.
Good luck to you, and do post your feedback on the roads on your return.
Old 10th January 2008, 14:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
mobike008--He is traveling to Kakinada, not Vizag. So I guess he will branch off to the right of NH5 after Rajamundry.
oops my bad, why did i think it was vizag, probably i am still obsessed with that city as it was recently discussed in my family quite a bit
Old 10th January 2008, 14:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
oops my bad, why did i think it was vizag, probably i am still obsessed with that city as it was recently discussed in my family quite a bit
Yes,it is a fabulous city. This apart, the thread talks about road to Vizag from Hyd.
Old 10th January 2008, 16:48   #22

Gentlemen!!

I must thank you for your reply. I was seriously considering starting at 8:00 PM or worse in the afternoon. I'll stick to my original plan.

I'll post my experiences once the trip is over.

Srini.

Most Viewed