Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2021, 18:37   #1

Pune to Kolkata and Back

Dear BHP-ian Family
I am planning a road trip from Pune to Kolkata some time around March 2022, after my daughter's exams. Hopefully, the intensity of the pandemic would have subsided further by that time.

I need your kind advise and guidance on the route to be taken. My preference is Pune - Solapur - Hyderabad (NH 65 all throughout) and then join NH16 in Vijayawada and then proceed to Vizag - Bhubaneshwar - Kolkata

While coming back, I would like to get the views of my BHP-ian family, on whether I take the same route or take up the Kolkata - Kharagpur - Sambalpur - Raipur - Nagpur - Auragabad - Ahmednara - Pune [NH49 till Sambalpur and then NH 53 all through]

I will be traveling with my wife and daughter in my year old Innova Crysta 2.4 VX 8 Str (my daughter calls it as Crizzy - short form of the pet name Crystal), and crizzie has barely done around 7500 in last one year since coming home

Any help, guidance and advise would be very welcome. Even better, would be to see if any like minded BHP-ians are also planning to do the same journey around the time so that we can pair up
soumenbanerjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 15:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Pune to Kolkata and Back

I drove from Pune to Kolkata (and much beyond) circa 2018, taking the same route. You can find the travelogue here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ir-cousin.html (To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their cousin)

Though my travel was a few years ago, I suspect not much has changed till date. Almost all the journey is over the GQ.
Overall I would say the route is good. Hopefully some more recent travellers will update about the current road conditions.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 22:09   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I drove from Pune to Kolkata (and much beyond) circa 2018, taking the same route. You can find the travelogue here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ir-cousin.html (To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their cousin)

Though my travel was a few years ago, I suspect not much has changed till date. Almost all the journey is over the GQ.
Overall I would say the route is good. Hopefully some more recent travellers will update about the current road conditions.
Dada, I'm planning for a similar journey this time next month. I've had my dinner around an hour ago and I'm halfway through your travelogue. The Pune weather and your travelogue demands I have a generous helping of Maggi noodles and continue reading the travelogue. Thank you for attaching toll amounts towards the end of your posts. Even if there might be an increase in the rates, it helps a lot in the initial planning.

I have one doubt. Google maps suggests Pune-Aurangabad-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Kolkata route. The one you took via Hyderabad outskirts is also suggested but a bit long. I do understand the road from Nagpur might pose a certain challenges, but was this the reason back then that made you take the Hyderabad route?

Also, do you think this is doable with my Taigun? I did a Pune - Udaipur - Amritsar - Dharamshala - Manali - Jaipur - (non-stop with a 30 min break) Pune trip in June and the car didn't let me down. One of the reason why I was able to do long distances during the day light was due to the fact that I had cruise control enabled most of the times on the highway and I had to man the road, brakes and keep the speed in check. I intend to keep using cruise control to better focus on the road coupled with the general awareness I'm supposed to have during such trips. The only part where I'm having doubts is if I might face any snowfall during the trip.

Thank you for your post.
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 07:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post

I have one doubt. Google maps suggests Pune-Aurangabad-Nagpur-Sambalpur-Kolkata route. The one you took via Hyderabad outskirts is also suggested but a bit long. I do understand the road from Nagpur might pose a certain challenges, but was this the reason back then that made you take the Hyderabad route?
Several reasons
1) We did the journey in summer. Nagpur is the last place I would want to be in that weather
2) Driving on the GQ was one of the todo things
3) We wanted to drive through as many states as possible
4) If I remember correctly, there had been a spike in Naxalite activities back then, so certain areas were best avoided for safety reasons.

Quote:
Also, do you think this is doable with my Taigun?
I don't see why not. Just make sure you keen an extra eye out for those unmarked surprise speed breakers and barricades.

Quote:
The only part where I'm having doubts is if I might face any snowfall during the trip.
Again, we did it in summer. So, we got rain in Arunachal but no snow. You might want to check the weather patterns for Dec.

Have fun and drive safe.
And never forget, if you feel drowsy, there is no point in pushing it. Pull over to a safe area, set an alarm for 15-30 minutes and take a nap.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 08:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Several reasons
1) We did the journey in summer. Nagpur is the last place I would want to be in that weather
2) Driving on the GQ was one of the todo things
3) We wanted to drive through as many states as possible
4) If I remember correctly, there had been a spike in Naxalite activities back then, so certain areas were best avoided for safety reasons.
Yes, the 4th point is my concern as well. I'd be doing the first leg till Kolkata solo, so I think the route you took makes more sense as well. I'd keep adding more stops along the route, especially in Odisha.

Quote:
I don't see why not. Just make sure you keen an extra eye out for those unmarked surprise speed breakers and barricades.

Again, we did it in summer. So, we got rain in Arunachal but no snow. You might want to check the weather patterns for Dec.
Alright, I'll do that.

Quote:
Have fun and drive safe.
And never forget, if you feel drowsy, there is no point in pushing it. Pull over to a safe area, set an alarm for 15-30 minutes and take a nap.
Yes, this happened on my trip to the North. We didn't have any concrete plan as to where to go next after Udaipur and in Karnal after having a light dinner, we decided to go to Amritsar. An hour outside Amritsar, I found a toll plaza, crossed it and had a nice 30 mins sleep. It delayed us by 30 mins or an hour maybe, but I was fresh for the next 2 hours.
throttleflick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 02:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumenbanerjee View Post
Dear BHP-ian Family
I am planning a road trip from Pune to Kolkata some time around March 2022, after my daughter's exams. Hopefully, the intensity of the pandemic would have subsided further by that time.
I guess you have never been to Pune / Kolkata TeamBhp meets or in WA/FB groups. Many Bhpians including me do this multiple times a year. I prefer the longer Pune - Hyderabad - Vijaywada - Vizag - Kolkata route, giving a night halt at Vijaywada. Attaching the FastTag info on my last Kolkata - Pune run which i did few months back. Crossed 35 toll booths with 2850 toll

Pune to Kolkata and Back-1.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-2.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-3.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-4.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-5.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 15:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I guess you have never been to Pune / Kolkata TeamBhp meets or in WA/FB groups. Many Bhpians including me do this multiple times a year.
Interesting to know, how do we connect to these WA groups? Would be great to connect fellow Bhpians on such drive.

Quote:
I prefer the longer Pune - Hyderabad - Vijaywada - Vizag - Kolkata route, giving a night halt at Vijaywada.
I am planning to take this route (Pune - Kolkata) in March-April 2023. Primarily, because I frequently do Pune - Hyderabad route, it makes sense for me to extend from there on.
Old 21st November 2022, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyapj View Post
Interesting to know, how do we connect to these WA groups? Would be great to connect fellow Bhpians on such drive.

I am planning to take this route (Pune - Kolkata) in March-April 2023. Primarily, because I frequently do Pune - Hyderabad route, it makes sense for me to extend from there on.
Yes the route to Vijaywada is via Hyderabad only. Most of the times I travel alone, I drive with min halts and sometimes sleep in my car parked beside a petrol bunk. We have someone in our group who do Kolkata - Mumbai non stop without halt in 34hrs. If going with family there are options to take multiple halts on the way namely Hyderabad - Vijaywada - Vizag - Chilka - BBSR before reaching Kolkata.

I think your DM rights are not enabled as you are still a newbie. Once you get access, drop me a message and I will add you in our group.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 18:07   #9

Quote:
I think your DM rights are not enabled as you are still a newbie. Once you get access, drop me a message and I will add you in our group.
Noted, will drop a message when I get access. In any case I still have few months to plan the trip and though it's not going to be family trip but I intent to take multiple halts along the route with idea to explore the points (still working on it).
satyapj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 21:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyapj View Post
Noted, will drop a message when I get access. In any case I still have few months to plan the trip and though it's not going to be family trip but I intent to take multiple halts along the route with idea to explore the points (still working on it).
I will give you one such itinerary with halts which I did on 2020 when I had someone with me:

Day 0: Left Pune post midnight after doing office & packing.
Day 1: Reached Hyderabad in the morning and checked into Taj Mahal Hotel near Charminar.

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_165001.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_123021.jpg

Mandi for lunch @Shadab
Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_132836.jpg

Chowmahalla palace
Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_145009.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_144253.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_150634.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_150848.jpg

Charminar
Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201220_153807.jpg

After exploring Hyderabad, took a quick nap, had dinner and left for Vizag.
Day 2: Reached Haritha Beach Resort next day

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201221_133030.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201221_141320.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201221_142538.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201221_142716.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201222_065407.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201222_073355.jpg

Left Vizag in the morning
Day 3: Reached Panthaniwas Rambha Chilka in the evening

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201222_151443.jpg

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201222_171001.jpg

Left Panthaniwas at night
Day 4: Reached CGR at noon to drop off my companion, after that drove back to my place at Kolkata by night

Pune to Kolkata and Back-20201223_142936.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 00:41   #11

Dear Team-BHPians
Any one took a recent drive from Kolkata to Pune or Mumbai? Can you please advise on the route that I should take? I plan to do this drive around mid of April 2022. This will be a family of 3 where I will be the sole driver and the vehicle is a Innova Crysta with barely 12K on the ODO. Any route help, and referred night halt locations and travel itinerary will be greatly appreciated.
Old 27th January 2023, 10:07   #12
BHPian

Whatever route you take, please remember mid-April is a furnace in central India. Red Terrano wrote about that many moons ago when he went via Hyderabad and East Coast road.
Old 1st April 2023, 22:05   #13

Cliched question perhaps, but with a slight twist.

Planning to do a Pune to Asansol late May this year, solo, on my bike (yeah, colour me crazy). Will be taking the Hyderbad-Vizag route going - wondering about the Nagpur route on the return leg.

I have seen I can do 500km days comfortably, and 700km if I push myself (Done Pune to Mysore several times and others). Cruising speeds are usually between 90-100kmph where roads and traffic allow. The bike (Jawa classic 2019) doesn't break a sweat generally. Hasn't let me down, yet, over the 15k odd kms mostly on such long routes.

Night time rides, I do tend to avoid, unless I know the road conditions completely. A pothole which is 'small' for a car, can ruin a rider's day in short order.

My question: Has anyone done either or both routes recently, and can confirm if the roads are good and safe enough to consider night rides, solo, on both routes (via Nagpur, and via Vizag)?

[A forum noob here, so please do guide me in case in case I break some forum rule]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks