Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2007, 23:39   #16
BHPian

thanks Tbhp. Made the trip and back. Instructions were very helpful.

If I may add. There are 3 checkposts between Blore and vellore and if you return in 24 hrs you can get the multiple entry option. A bozo in the first checkpost told me that I have to return the same day before 12 midnight to buy the multiple entry option..dont get taken in like me!!

Nimz
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
thanks Tbhp. Made the trip and back. Instructions were very helpful.

If I may add. There are 3 checkposts between Blore and vellore and if you return in 24 hrs you can get the multiple entry option. A bozo in the first checkpost told me that I have to return the same day before 12 midnight to buy the multiple entry option..dont get taken in like me!!

Nimz
Great Nimz, How much FE did the SParky return? What was your total distance and where did you refuel?

Abhi
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd tank up in Hosur in the realiance outlet (heard they charge one rupee more??) on the way. WHer should I watch out for this pump.. ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Let them charge whatever but that will be surely less than the price of Bangalore..
I thought the same too when I travelled to Karnataka. Filled in a tankful of Reliance Diesel outside Satyamangalam, drove up to Coorg, around Coorg and returned to Bangalore only to fill up at Shell for LESS!!!! Reliance Diesel in Satyamangalam was at least 1 Re more than Shell diesel in Bangalore.

Worse yet, the vehicle started smoking badly after the Reliance Top-up. Early morning starts at Coorg were embarassing to say the least - the Dicor smoking like a 45 year old Bedford truck till the engine warmed up.

About 5 kms after filling in Shell, it stopped smoking so badly. In fact its almost imperceptible now - just a bit of extra smoke when you accelerate hard.

Therefore with Reliance you're paying more but the quality of fuel isnt assured - whey then should you pay extra?
Old 3rd September 2007, 08:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Therefore with Reliance you're paying more but the quality of fuel isnt assured - whey then should you pay extra?
Ohh is it !! Pardon my ignorance, I didnt know that Reliance D in TN costs more than Shell D in bangalore...

Abhi
Old 3rd September 2007, 09:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I thought the same too when I travelled to Karnataka. Filled in a tankful of Reliance Diesel outside Satyamangalam, drove up to Coorg, around Coorg and returned to Bangalore only to fill up at Shell for LESS!!!! Reliance Diesel in Satyamangalam was at least 1 Re more than Shell diesel in Bangalore.

Worse yet, the vehicle started smoking badly after the Reliance Top-up. Early morning starts at Coorg were embarassing to say the least - the Dicor smoking like a 45 year old Bedford truck till the engine warmed up.

About 5 kms after filling in Shell, it stopped smoking so badly. In fact its almost imperceptible now - just a bit of extra smoke when you accelerate hard.

Oops! Is it same quality issue with petrol as well? When I visit TN, I find Reliance lot more than other pumps. If not Reliance, what else is ok to fill?
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have found IOC to be best for both diesel & petrol, but don't go to shady looking bunks with lots of trucks parked inside. Find a modern looking bunk & insist on taking a receipt.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:39   #22

Quote:
In that case, let me give u more precise details:

1) Assume u know Hosur Rd, Keep on going u will soon pass Electronics City...
2) At Hosur u will encounter a flyover, go over it.
3) From Hosur flyover to another 45km (this is a beautiful stretch) u will reach a toll booth...
4) Pay Toll (Rs 25 - onesided, Rs 38 - if u r returning in 24 hours)
5) Immediately after toll booth (Krishnagiri) u will get a flyover go over it....
6) U will again get a 2nd flyover, DONT GO OVER IT
7) Take the side lane instead (There must be an arrow indicating Chennai left)
8) In another km, u will get a signal, Take left (direction Chennai, Vellore is given)
9) That is NH46 to Chennai also part of completed GQ....in another 100 odd km u r in Vellore...It will not take more than an hour from krishnagiri...

Pls let me know if u want anything more specific...
Enjoy South India Drives
Abhi
very well said
Old 4th September 2007, 00:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Great Nimz, How much FE did the SParky return? What was your total distance and where did you refuel?

Abhi
I refuelled thrice.

First on leaving Bangy (It took 1.5 hours from BTM to electronic city) I refuelled at Reliance which is beyond Hosur where we stopped for lunch. Petro 50.12 /litre. Tanked up.. some 7 odd litres. FE - 12.5 odd.

Reached Vellore. Heavy rain in Ambur stretch. It was like driving underwater. Just saw hazy tail lamps in front. Hit the hazard button and kept going. Lovely scenery though before and after the rains. Absolutely breathtaking!!

Partied around. Left Vellore. Filled up at Reliance outlet just before the road joins the GQ. FE - 15 +. Petrol @ Rs. 49.something /litre

Drove on GQ - Missed Reliance outlet and went to an IOC in Hosur. Bugger let pertrol overflow. Heated arguments. Filled 13 odd litres. I guess auto cut off would have come at around 10-11. So FE- 16 to 17. Petrol @ Rs. 48 odd / litre.

Totally covered 450 + kms. Loved the drive!! Only if Sparky had ICE!!
Old 4th September 2007, 08:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I refuelled thrice.
Nimz, so many refueling for such a short distance ? Were you not trusting your Sparky's FE? I am sure you will not spend so much time next time on petrol stations now that you know that your Sparky will give 15+ on highways atleast...

During my Blr - Kol trip, I did only 5 refills (Ongole, Rajahmundry, Vizag, Berhampur, Jajpur) for a distance of 2050km

Abhi
Old 4th September 2007, 13:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Nimz, so many refueling for such a short distance ? Were you not trusting your Sparky's FE? I am sure you will not spend so much time next time on petrol stations now that you know that your Sparky will give 15+ on highways atleast...

During my Blr - Kol trip, I did only 5 refills (Ongole, Rajahmundry, Vizag, Berhampur, Jajpur) for a distance of 2050km

Abhi
I fill when it reaches half full. In fact, filling it later gives better accurate figure for FE.
Old 5th September 2007, 23:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Abhi
No.. nothing to do with trust I covered the trip to shivanasamudram to and fro without any fuel stops..

I was interested in taking advantage of TN's low fuel prices..so whenever I could I refilled only in TN
Old 5th September 2007, 23:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nimz how much price difference are we talking about here ? AFAIK Reliance A1 plaza's in TN sell fuel at 50 change.
Old 5th September 2007, 23:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hit the hazard button and kept going.
Please dont use hazard lights in the rain while driving. Confuses other drivers as to whether yours is a stationary car or a moving one. Use of headlights is recommended for such situations. Hazards lights are to be used only when your car is stationary on the road.

Last edited by vikram_d : 5th September 2007 at 23:37.
Old 5th September 2007, 23:40   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Please dont use hazard lights in the rain while driving. Confuses other drivers as to whether yours is a stationary car or a moving one. Use of headlights is recommended for such situations. Hazards lights are to be used only when your is stationary on the road.
Oh .. thanks.

@ RJ - yes.. hardly any different with reliance.. but other bunks around 4-5 bucks.. anyway I see no point in that now.
Filling at a good bunk makes better economic sense.

NImz
Old 19th September 2008, 12:14   #30
BHPian

Thank you!!

Quote:
In that case, let me give u more precise details:

1) Assume u know Hosur Rd, Keep on going u will soon pass Electronics City...
2) At Hosur u will encounter a flyover, go over it.
3) From Hosur flyover to another 45km (this is a beautiful stretch) u will reach a toll booth...
4) Pay Toll (Rs 25 - onesided, Rs 38 - if u r returning in 24 hours)
5) Immediately after toll booth (Krishnagiri) u will get a flyover go over it....
6) U will again get a 2nd flyover, DONT GO OVER IT
7) Take the side lane instead (There must be an arrow indicating Chennai left)
8) In another km, u will get a signal, Take left (direction Chennai, Vellore is given)
9) That is NH46 to Chennai also part of completed GQ....in another 100 odd km u r in Vellore...It will not take more than an hour from krishnagiri...

Pls let me know if u want anything more specific...
Enjoy South India Drives
Abhi
I drove to Vellore last weekend. It was just me and my music for the drive and I had never been on that route before this.
All that I needed was a print out of the instructions given by you. I was never required to ask for directions.
So, THANK YOU!!!!!

Most Viewed