Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 19:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway - Status & updates thread

Isn't that so unlikely/impossible? Ideally speaking there should be exit and entry points at regular intervals/junctions like the Bangalore Nice road.

A completely cordoned off highway makes sense but eliminating options to join/exit the highway is dumb.
Old 6th August 2022, 20:25   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What does this mean? If I have to go to Srirangapatana from Bangalore, I have to go to Mysore and come back on the service road?
The existing Mysore road wont be demolished . I guess we can continue to use that.
Old 6th August 2022, 21:08   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those on the expressway will be barricaded all the way and will have to make do with rest stops that would be in place every 40 km or so. Can't get in and out on the service roads as they wish.
That is exactly how expressways ought to be. Not an exit/entry every km or so. I prefer this kind of strict access control if I'm going to pay Rs. 250-300 (at a guess) toll for this road.

Further, one can see in satellite images that there are exit ramps planned for all major towns in between, so there is no fear of having to drive all the way to Mysore to get into Srirangapatna.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 21:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Very very unlikely that it will be that way that you cannot exit anywhere in between.

There could be multiple reasons that there needs to be exits and intervals. In case of a break down.. In case if one decide to cancel the trip for some reason and return back. Going all the way to Mysore doesn't serve the purpose.

Definitely the Mandya administration and the natives will demand an entry/exit point there if not anywhere else.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 6th August 2022 at 21:11.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 11:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

I do not understand the messaging around when this Highway would be ready. There are so many contradicting articles being released every week.

20-Jul-2022: Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway to miss Dasara deadline - Link

01-Aug-2022: New Bengaluru-Mysuru expressway to be completed in October - Link

I am wondering what magic happened between 10-11 days that it can be complete in October
Old 7th August 2022, 12:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I do not understand the messaging around when this Highway would be ready. There are so many contradicting articles being released every week.
The new article says the travel time will be 90 mins, minister says. Which is also contradicting to an earlier tweet by minister that it is 75 minutes. Not sure if two different parts of Bangalore are referenced here. . By the way, are these timings expected from NICE road Jn to Manipal Jn?

Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-mys.jpg

Whatever the article says about completion, the ground situation applies. Look at a recent picture of the state of one of the flyover under construction, that was seen during the floods and highway closure 2 days back. It surely does not look like will complete in the next 2 months:

Name:  ss1.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  119.9 KB Name:  ss2.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  73.8 KB

Last edited by balenoed_ : 7th August 2022 at 12:13.
Old 7th August 2022, 12:13   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

20-Jul-2022: Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway to miss Dasara deadline - Link

01-Aug-2022: New Bengaluru-Mysuru expressway to be completed in October - Link

I am wondering what magic happened between 10-11 days that it can be complete in October
If you read the first article, it mentions "the work would not be completed by Dussehra" and the second link mentions "Completion by end of October". Dussehra falls in the first week of October. So in their defense, one can argue they meant it won't be completed by Dussehra (1st week of October) but will be ready by October end (as stated in the second article)

Jokes apart, I do not see the second leg (Nidhlagatta to Mysore) getting anywhere near completion before the end of this year. Plenty of work especially around flyover ramps and underpasses pending in Mandya, Srirangapattana etc.
The Kengeri-Nidlaghatta stretch may open for traffic barring a couple of underpasses by end of October.
Old 8th August 2022, 08:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Whatever the article says about completion, the ground situation applies. Look at a recent picture of the state of one of the flyover under construction, that was seen during the floods and highway closure 2 days back. It surely does not look like will complete in the next 2 months:

Attachment 2342741 Attachment 2342742

Unfortunately, these pics are right, i travelled from Bangalore to Ooty and back on 2nd and 3rd Aug and situation on the existing highway was not good. We were diverted to the village roads before Maddur and then joined the main highway near Nanjangud and carried on to Ooty,

On my return on 3rd Aug, it was more worse, we were diverted before Mandya towards Kanakpura road through village roads and saw even internal roads being washed off due to overflowing Shimsa river and other lakes.

Now, I am in a fix since have to again travel from BLR - Ooty between 9th and 12th Aug.
Old 8th August 2022, 09:39   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnarayanan View Post
If there are no exits to major towns or to at least fully functional service plazas (with restaurants, fuel stations etc.), it is a bad design!
Quote:
What does this mean? If I have to go to Srirangapatana from Bangalore, I have to go to Mysore and come back on the service road?

And one cannot use this highway for town to town commute, say Ramanagara to Mandya and so on..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Even if the reported "no exits" is true (can't imagine why one should not be provided for Maddur and Mandya at the least).

In you case, the Ganganooru toll plaza is just before Srirangapattana, so you I'm sure you can still use the expressway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Isn't that so unlikely/impossible? Ideally speaking there should be exit and entry points at regular intervals/junctions like the Bangalore Nice road.

A completely cordoned off highway makes sense but eliminating options to join/exit the highway is dumb.
Quote:
Very very unlikely that it will be that way that you cannot exit anywhere in between.

There could be multiple reasons that there needs to be exits and intervals. In case of a break down.. In case if one decide to cancel the trip for some reason and return back. Going all the way to Mysore doesn't serve the purpose.

Definitely the Mandya administration and the natives will demand an entry/exit point there if not anywhere else.
I think this 'lack of exits' has got twisted out of context. There are definitely exits to Srirangapatna, Mandya, Maddur etc... All of these towns get bypasses that start before the town limits and end post. There will obviously be a way to get off the highway into the towns en-route. I don't think any expressway is made without atleast limited exits.

I think the issue raised is that the only way to get to the towns is to exit at the by-pass entry and go into the town limits. Looks like the bypasses themselves do not have any additional exits.

This especially becomes a problem for Ramanagara-Channapatna because there is one long greenfield road that bypasses both the towns. So for example if I need to head to a location between Ramanagara and Channapatna, either I have to get out before Ramanagara or take the bypass all the way past Channapatna and then exit and drive back. Typically when a highway bypasses a town/s, there are 2-3 exits provided to get to different parts. I think that may not be the case here (or maybe 2-3 are not enough).

The town residents have put forth a demand for more exits in the town region as per the news I saw. I think that has got twisted into the fact that there are 'no exits' between Bangalore and Mysore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:01   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Now, I am in a fix since have to again travel from BLR - Ooty between 9th and 12th Aug.
Coimbatore - Mettupalayam route? Longer (for Ooty-bound travelers) but a safer bet than the Bandipore section during such heavy rains.
Old 8th August 2022, 10:10   #71
bht
BHPian

Travelled to Madikeri over weekend. During onwards journey on Saturday morning, expressway was blocked near Ramnagar for some reason unknown to me, we had to reverse back, take one of the exists in to Ramnagar town and continue on old highway which we rejoined later on. it was uneventful after that.
Old 9th August 2022, 20:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Found this on twitter

Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread-img20220809wa0013.jpg
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:26   #73
BHPian

Looks like the expressway will be delayed further:
https://starofmysore.com/status-of-1...ow-above-road/

Quote:
The recent rain and the lake breach along the work-in-progress 10-lane Mysuru-Bengaluru Economic Corridor (Expressway) has made the authorities realise that there is still plenty of work to be done on the road front to control the flow of water.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:50   #74
BHPian

Guys, I don't know what this Nitin Gadkari is blabbering. I'm on the way to Mysore right now, with monsoons in, this Expressway is at least a year away for full completion.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, I don't know what this Nitin Gadkari is blabbering. I'm on the way to Mysore right now, with monsoons in, this Expressway is at least a year away for full completion.
Well, now you know how real are most of the claims by this minister!

Most Viewed