Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2024, 20:30   #826
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Mysore Expressway Thread

There was a good amount of traffic on my return from Mysore today, but I could see majority of the vehicles taking an exit before Sheshagirihalli toll. Toll plaza was almost empty.

Is this some kind of loophole people are using to avoid paying second part of the toll? Or is it a genuine exit for folks who don't want to continue till NICE or Bangalore city?
DriverLess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 20:41   #827
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A question for the knowledgeable folks here:
I recently took the expressway upto Maddur and exited. However, I see 2 toll deductions- one at Mysore Road P5 Plaza for Rs.145 and one more after 7 minutes at Kaniminike Toll Plaza for Rs.165.
I guess I need to raise a dispute for the second one ?
Old 8th April 2024, 21:29   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
However, I see 2 toll deductions- one at Mysore Road P5 Plaza for Rs.145 and one more after 7 minutes at Kaniminike Toll Plaza for Rs.165.
Mysore Road P5 is the NICE road toll. Kaniminike is the BMEW toll.
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 22:15   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverLess View Post
Is this some kind of loophole people are using to avoid paying second part of the toll? Or is it a genuine exit for folks who don't want to continue till NICE or Bangalore city?
Yes, there are loophole in entire highways, lots of exits and entry for each towns without any access control, so regular travelers exploit these loophole and travel without toll, they enter after toll, exit before toll.
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 10:44   #830

Posting here my drive experience on Bengaluru - Mysuru expressway and back

It was going to be a lazy weekend. Got to know on Saturday evening that some high value stuff needed to be delivered to Mysuru urgently and we all started looking for safe delivery options. I took that opportunity to play an errand boy and my heart was on exploring a drive on the Bengaluru-Mysuru expressway. All agreed.

Car: Hyundai Creta SX(O) diesel 2018 model.
Done: 60,000 km
Driver: solo
Done on: 17 March 2024

Left home at HSR layout around 4.45 am. Google map showed route through Silkboard - Nice road into the expressway, 157 km - a 2 hours 40 minutes to Hotel Mylari, Mysuru. I had called the person to collect delivery there and the plan was to also try out breakfast (dosa) at this much famed place.

The overall drive was pleasant early morning with hardly any traffic on the road from Silkboard to Nice road. Some trucks were creating road blocks on the inclines of Nice road but nothing fussy. Nice road has become far more smoother to drive after its overhaul. Entered the expressway and first toll around 5.25 am.

The expressway drive is really smooth early morning. There was hardly any traffic and I found myself cruising at 120-140 kmph. The expressway is barricaded and has appropriate dividers. So traffic cannot enter from service roads and opposite side traffic on expressway cannot take u turns. Barricading has also prevented stray animals in the expressway. So the drive is mostly predictable. Just watch out for (a) some odd cars on the wrong side - mostly omni and boleros; (b) cars trying to get into the expressway from an exit (c) drivers on phone - mostly ola/uber cabbies. No matter how much world class infrastructure we make, the mindset of some of us folks cannot change.

Reached hotel Mylari for the dosa around 7am. First had a brief halt at a road side tea shop. The dosa at Mylari was strictly ok to my liking and nothing much to write home about. Met the person and did the delivery.

Started my drive back to Bengaluru about 7.30 am. The sun was up and the day had started. So there was some traffic within Mysuru city. Once on the expressway, do watch out for the random jay walker trying to cross the road. I could see more traffic on the other side (from Bengaluru towards Mysuru now). The carriage towards Bengaluru was having sparse traffic. With the sun out and dead straight roads on some stretches, pushed my creta hard. As usual it performed brilliantly being planted and giving all confidence at 160 kmph. While the prescribed speed limit at most places is 100 kmph, I overall maintained average speeds of about 100 - 110 kmph. Reached back home at HSR layout around 9.45 am.

To sum up, the hits:
- Bengaluru- Mysuru expressway is a brilliant 6 lane infrastructure. Real cruise to drive.
- Full relief from the previous speed breaker and pot hole ridden highway.
- Fully barricaded.
- Most stretches are tar road and not concrete road.
- Has dividers on the entire stretch.
- Prescribed speed limit: 100kmph. Read they have installed speed cams but could not spot any.
- Creta gave a decent 16 kmpl average.

Misses:
- No restaurants enroute. No lay byes if you need to stop.
- Hardly any petrol bunks.
- Missing signages for exits if one needs to find food/ fuel.
- No emergency contact details of NHAI/ toll plaza.
- Cab drivers on phone, wrong side traffic in some places.
- Hefty toll fare: Rs 775 (to and fro) includes Rs 290 paid (to and fro) for using nice road.

Travel tip: start early to avoid traffic and jay walkers. Tank up at the Bharat petroleum bunk in Bangalore before getting into the toll road of the expressway.
GKR268 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2024, 11:21   #831
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Had my first drive on the new Mysore highway ( guess its not an expressway anymore ) on the way to Ooty and back. Covered the Bangalore to Mysore stretch morning 7am and the return in the afternoon around 2pm

First thing I noticed was that the traffic was more streamlined compared to the other highways I frequent ( Chennai, Coimbatore Kerala ). Most of the heavy traffic was on left lane. Could this be because there are no two wheelers on the left lane like in other NHs?

Most people including me were cruising at around 100-110, though there was an occasional car speeding and cutting lanes at 130 to 140 and a couple of morons driving against the traffic with blinkers. This made the drive quite relaxed. I think the highway can increase the speed to 120 since it barricaded and there are no 2 wheelers or U-turns in the right lane to surprise the drivers.

However, the flip side of the relaxed drive was that it was quite boring and I felt a bit sleepy after a heavy lunch at Poojari's Fishland. It rarely happens to me on other highways even after lunch.

Also, saw a lot of vehicles on the service lanes around the toll booth. i guess they are regulars who have figured out the entry/exit and accordingly exit before the toll, drive for a few kms on service road and reenter the highway after the toll.

Overall, a decent drive but the toll is steep. If they continue this, I think many drivers will quickly start using the service lane around the toll.
Old 12th April 2024, 12:27   #832

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR268 View Post
Posting here my drive experience on Bengaluru - Mysuru expressway and back

Misses:
- No restaurants enroute. No lay byes if you need to stop.
Travel tip: start early to avoid traffic and jay walkers. Tank up at the Bharat petroleum bunk in Bangalore before getting into the toll road of the expressway.
Agree that there are only a few Restaurants on the BMEW - none are clearly marked.

We found a convenient stop with easy access from both directions is Hotel Amravathi (https://maps.app.goo.gl/pT7vb21q3Dm4rUZz9). On way to Mysore, there is an exit 200 Mts before the restaurant. On the opp direction it is under 1 Km - there is a U-turn under a nearby over bridge after you drive past the restaurant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks