Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 13:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Does the toy train to shimla from Kalka take the same route as Shivalik Express?

I am asking this because, I do not want to miss the sceneray.I hope this too will be equally enoyable.Is it so?
Yes, there is only one track/route. Its a nice one-time experience, IIRC, the train goes through 103 tunnels. The early morning one used to halt at Barog for breakfast - quaint station it was!
Old 8th June 2007, 13:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infact the toy train is called the shivalik express. There is none other on this line.
Old 8th June 2007, 13:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Infact the toy train is called the shivalik express. There is none other on this line.
Err, AFAIK, there are four trains actually -
1) Kalka Simla Passenger - First Class only
2) Shivalik Deluxe - Chair Car only
3) Kalka Simla Express - First Class & Second Seating
4) Himalayan Queen - Chair Car.

Cheers!
Old 8th June 2007, 14:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you are right, I travelled long time back in these.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
T...The journey from Shimla to Manali is via HTDC bus (not a Volvo too).I am worried about my kid getting adjusted to this long journey.
Shimla to Manali on bus is one hell of a ride, especially the first 2 hours. I guess the baby can take it. I am not sure about the adults. If you are uncomfortable in ghat section, avoid bus journey. You can book a cab.

Quote:
Does the toy train to shimla from Kalka take the same route as Shivalik Express?

I am asking this because, I do not want to miss the sceneray.I hope this too will be equally enoyable.Is it so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yes, there is only one track/route. Its a nice one-time experience, IIRC, the train goes through 103 tunnels. The early morning one used to halt at Barog for breakfast - quaint station it was!
Yes, its single track. You will never miss the scenary either on train or road
Old 8th June 2007, 16:18   #21
BHPian

Guys,
For journey to Jaipur ,I plan to arrange for bus tickets and lodging after reaching Delhi.I have re-scheduled my plan to accomodate 2 days of stay in Jaipur.
Old 8th June 2007, 18:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
KP - Tu maar khayega. Taj Mahal/Fatehpur Sikri/Agra Fort kya Freedabad main hain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Kevin Prasad Sharma mar gaya!
Hey Moradabad ke Tyre dealer & Half Hairy boy
Its quite obvious going to Agra is for TAJ MAHAL.....Other than Taj Mahal in Agra there's nothing unless Blrboy represents the History Channel

Last edited by kpzen : 8th June 2007 at 18:21.
Old 9th June 2007, 10:13   #23

Blrboy, few more inputs:
As already suggested by others try and stay in state owned HPTDC hotels HPTDC, Home Page they are usually heritage buildings, spacious, safe, neat and clean and you will have comfortable stay there, but there food sucks big time, so better get that while you are roaming around the city and try various other eateries. And also don’t forget to ask for off-season discounts. In Shimla its HHH or The Holiday Home. Himachalis are basically simple, hard working & god fearing people, once you tell them that you are not interested, they mind there own business, no worries.

My suggestion is instead of climbing uphill by train, opt for a downhill ride if that fits your plan. It’s more enjoyable and takes less time, it is an experience. Also there is a single Bogie Tram like service can’t remember its name, its usually always booked, but try if you are able to get that.

From Delhi to Kalka 5:30am Himalyan Queen sucks big time and better option would be to opt for Delhi - Kalka Morning Shatabdi leaves Delhi at 7.40 Hrs to reaches Kalka at 1200 Hrs, much more comfortable.

For uphill you can go for a cab and you can cover lots of things on the way. Opt for a small car (lower CG), if you are not used to hills journey.

There is a day’s tour organized by HPTDC around Shimla covering various destinations “Shimla - Kufri - Fagu - Chini Bunglow -Naldehra – Shimla” HP Tourism Development Corporation is a good one, Naldehra is the highest Golf course in India. HPTDC office is opposite to Scandal Point on Mall and you have to book a day in advance. Also you can enjoy some good coffee and dosa at The Indian coffee house while you are there.

Don’t miss on Manikaran(takes full day), its detour of approx 30kms from Bhuntar some 25kms before Kullu, the main attractions is Natural Sulphur Baths, claiming to solve any skin problems, There is a temple and a Gurudwara there.

If you plan do go shopping for Shawls as gift back home, go for Bhuttico Bhuttico - the hand-woven woollen shawl industry in Kullu highly recommended, genuine good quality.
Old 9th June 2007, 12:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutra View Post
Don’t miss on Manikaran(takes full day), its detour of approx 30kms from Bhuntar some 25kms before Kullu, the main attractions is Natural Sulphur Baths, claiming to solve any skin problems, There is a temple and a Gurudwara there.
Gurudwara is very clean, as always and the langar food is very delicious. Dont ask about the temple though.

btw, what dates have you planned for your trip.

Last edited by dadu : 9th June 2007 at 12:36.
Old 9th June 2007, 13:01   #25
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Same day is impossible unless u just wanna touch down Jaipur n return...

Yes this can be done in a day but there's nothing in Agra for sightseeing
well when we had been to Delhi, we did Delhi-Jaipur-Delhi the same day with sight seeing and lunch, so its definitely possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
KP - Tu maar khayega. Taj Mahal/Fatehpur Sikri/Agra Fort kya Freedabad main hain?
Exactly what i wanted to say...lol
Old 9th June 2007, 13:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Still quite stressful and a rush-rush job. Amer itself along with the jumbo ride takes more than 2 hours. Then you have the city palace, hawamahal, rajmandir, jantar mantar etc. that would consume a lot of time interspersed with breaks for lunch etc. Also keep in mind the traffic and the endlees hours of shopping if the womenfolk are involved .

Just a point to remember for first time visitors to Jaipur would be that its markets are closed on Sundays. A few that open to encash on the ignorance of the unsuspecting tourist, gets ripped apart...

Those interested in some real authentic namkeens, 'mirchi-badas' (the more sophisticated call 'mirchi-pakodas'), kachoris and makhaniya lassi would do well to go to Rawats opp Polo Victory cinema hall.

The traditional Rajasthani thali with gatte ki subzi and dal bhati choorma at LMB (Laxmi Mishthan Bhandar) in Jauhari bazaar is quite sumptuous and delicious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
well when we had been to Delhi, we did Delhi-Jaipur-Delhi the same day with sight seeing and lunch, so its definitely possible.
Old 10th June 2007, 00:16   #27

One more recommendation: Rajasthani dinner at Chouki Dhani Village Resort while you are in Jaipur.
Old 11th June 2007, 09:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
One more recommendation: Rajasthani dinner at Chouki Dhani Village Resort while you are in Jaipur.
Hi Sutra,Thanks for the inputs.
I can consider booking for 7.30 am Shatabdi from Delhi to Kalka too.But will I get the connecting train to Shimla?

Another question, how much will be the cab charges to Manali from Shimla?Can these be arranged by the HPTDC too?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
btw, what dates have you planned for your trip.
I am planning Aug 27 to Sept 9.

Simla-Manali will be covered between Sept 2nd and Sept 6th.

Thanks

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th June 2007 at 10:09.
Old 11th June 2007, 19:41   #29

For every train that reaches Kalka, has got a connecting train to Shimla within 30-40mins.
I am not sure on cab but as per HPTDC website they do have
Shimla - Manali & vice versa 08:30 AM Rs. 415/- per seat
Luxury coach service HP Tourism Development Corporation .
The Shimla – Manali route is via hills & if I remember correctly its overnight journey approx 300kms, the cab charges depending on the vehicle are Rs9-15/km and your negotiation skills.
Old 11th June 2007, 22:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Shimla – Manali route is via hills & if I remember correctly its overnight journey approx 300kms, the cab charges depending on the vehicle are Rs9-15/km and your negotiation skills.
Its day jouney via HPTDC bus. Avoid night journey on this route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks