Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 20:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Visited Kedarnath : Any queries, please post here

I am planning on going to Kedarnath next Monday with my mom and my sister.

My mom is almost 70 years old - and not a brisk walker. She has completed the other 3 Dham's and wanted to visit Kedarnath-Badrinath-Yamunotri-Gangotri before COVID but that didnt work out

We have the helicopter tour booked which I understand takes us to most of these 4 places on the list but your details have helped me understand a lot about how the conditions there will be at this point of time

All 3 of us are on Airtel - do you know how the connectivity there is with Airtel for Voice & Data? Is buying a SIM of another provider preferable? If yes - which one?
Old 10th May 2022, 22:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsimhan View Post
Understand that the walking trail is chock-a-block. Please use caution while walking to Kedarnath temple. Also heard that helicopter services are already sold out several days. Accommodation was also going at a premium I understand. The rush is unprecedented as the temple has opened after 2 years.
I wanted to attach a video of the trail that a friend of mine shared, but I couldn't do it. Even people going by helicopter have to wait for hours to get from that point to the temple. Good luck with the trip.
Got these as WhatsApp forward. Please be cautious as the resources seem to be stretched to the limits.
Gif image is for the que for helicopter ride
Attached Images

Last edited by OPMaurya : 10th May 2022 at 23:01. Reason: added gif for video
OPMaurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
All 3 of us are on Airtel - do you know how the connectivity there is with Airtel for Voice & Data? Is buying a SIM of another provider preferable? If yes - which one?
Airtel worked but intermittently in my case. I would rather suggest please buy a Jio Sim as all shopkeepers primarily depend on JIO and BSNL there. So you can have JIO sim in 1 phone as backup and your primary Airtel numbers in others. All the best for your journey. It is an exceptional feeling there and please share your experience when you return which will help other forum members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPMaurya View Post
Got these as WhatsApp forward. Please be cautious as the resources seem to be stretched to the limits.
Gif image is for the que for helicopter ride
Thank you for adding images. But everything is normal here . Ha ha Yes indeed resources are stretched to limits and administration is trying to cope up but it is beyond their expectations at the moment.

1.) First image is of parking at Sonprayag which is a huge parking of thousands.

2.) Second image is of Ghoda Junction at Gaurikund. This area typically looks very crowded because we have an official receipt system for horses here and all ponys stand here.

3.) GIF image is not the queue for helicopter ride. It is the Darshan queue and it is even longer than the first day when I went. When I was there the queue started from GMVN Swarg Rohini complex but as per your GIF it is starting even before helipad and going all the way to temple. This is around 5-7 hrs of queue.

A new information as per news:
Further to all forum members, I read a news today that administration denied devotees at Gaurikund going forward to trek at 12 pm on 9th or 10th May since around 30,000 devotees had already crossed Gaurikund. So I would suggest starting your trek morning from Gaurikund. Also, the administration is planning to setup a rule of last entry from Gaurikund towards Kedarnath for 2 pm everyday. So please keep all these factors in mind to plan well. All the best and Har Har Mahadev.

Last edited by steadfast : 11th May 2022 at 09:33.
steadfast is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 14:16   #19
BHPian

Thanks, this is a very useful thread!

A couple questions from my side:

1. What is a good time of the year to visit, largely from a crowd perspective? I believe the window is May-Oct? So will Sept-Oct be better?

2. Is it feasible to start the trek early in the morning and come back the same day, or does one have to stay at Kedarnath? ( not from a time perspective, but from the perspective of the level of fitness that may be required to do that...) Or is one way by Helicopter a more practical option?
Old 11th May 2022, 15:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
We had Airtel, Vodafone and Jio. Only Jio worked for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
1. What is a good time of the year to visit, largely from a crowd perspective? I believe the window is May-Oct? So will Sept-Oct be better?
Generally Oct is comparatively less crowded. Early hours are the best; however, on most occasions, the police doesn't let let people start their journey from Gaurikund at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
2. Is it feasible to start the trek early in the morning and come back the same day, or does one have to stay at Kedarnath? ( not from a time perspective, but from the perspective of the level of fitness that may be required to do that...) Or is one way by Helicopter a more practical option?
You'll have to be really really fit to cover 32km in one day on a mountainous terrain. If you can run a marathon without breaking a sweat, you can do that as well.

There are options for one way helicopter rides. Check with the official website which allows booking one way tickets.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 20:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We have the helicopter tour booked which I understand takes us to most of these 4 places on the list but your details have helped me understand a lot about how the conditions there will be at this point of time
Can you please share how you managed to get helicopter booked? Thanks in advance.

GMVN site shows 0 availability all the time for all dates.

-Ravi
Old 12th May 2022, 00:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Can you please share how you managed to get helicopter booked? Thanks in advance.

GMVN site shows 0 availability all the time for all dates.

-Ravi
Our tentative bookings were made in Feb 2020 for June 2020. Then when COVID struck - the travel agent refused to return our money and said he will book at the next available dates whenever they open up.

We heard back from them in March 2022 that they will book for Week Commencing May 16. So that's how we have our bookings after about 2 years.

Last edited by rahul4321 : 12th May 2022 at 00:29.
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 00:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our tentative bookings were made in Feb 2020 for June 2020. Then when COVID struck - the travel agent refused to return our money and said he will book at the next available dates whenever they open up.

We heard back from them in March 2022 that they will book for Week Commencing May 16. So that's how we have our bookings after about 2 years.
Wow - i have exact same story. I booked via Panicker travels in Feb 2020 for May 2020 darshan and the story is same, except for helicopter services. Couldn't make it in 2021 too due to Delta variant and lockdowns. Now its 2022, so hope we get darshan of lord this time!

Any other tips from anyone how to get helicopter booking done through agent after reaching there? As online is no longer a viable option to book now. Please advise.

-Ravi
Old 12th May 2022, 10:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

On a related note, regarding booking helicopters at Vaishno Devi:

Man trying to book chopper loses Rs 24000 (Report in The Times of India)

Quote:
“... He searched the internet for a contact number to book a helicopter and found some numbers. He contacted one of them and the miscreants offered to book a helicopter and demanded Rs 24,220,” a police source said.

The man transferred the amount to an account provided by the suspects. But later, when they asked him to pay another Rs 14,200 as insurance, he grew suspicious and approached police.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 13:01   #25
BHPian

For all those who are looking to book helicopter for Kedarnath yatra, the official website is: heliservices.uk.gov.in

Also when you visit this site it mentions on a pop-up when the helicopter slots are going to open. For example, today, it says for bookings between 06-Jun-2022 & 20-Jun-2022 slots will open from 21-May-2022.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2022, 15:09   #26

Hi. Please be gentle to let me know the following:
1. What are the road conditions how long will it take from Rishikesh to Sonprayag / Gaurikund.
2. Till what point we can take our own car.
3. Do we really need heavy woolens / Jackets.
4. Can we enter the Main Mandir for Darshan or it is not the way Darshan is being done currently.
5. Is there any other place worth visiting near Kedarnath Mandir or one should return just after Darshan.
6. Any other place recommended to visit near Sonprayag / Gaurikund after getting down from Kedarnath.
7. Can we get back to Delhi from Sonprayag / Gaurikund if we start by noon.

Thanks.
Shashank Chaturvedi
shashank.eengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 11:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.eengg View Post
Hi. Please be gentle to let me know the following:
Please find responses in line:

1. What are the road conditions how long will it take from Rishikesh to Sonprayag / Gaurikund.
Ans: As on May 4 when I travelled, Road conditions were very good till Rudraprayag with some minor patch work between Srinagar and Rudraprayag. After Rudraprayag too, the road conditions are good but some road construction activities are going on till Sonprayag.
I took around 5.30.to 6 hours to drive from Rishikesh Laxman Jhula to Sonprayag. However on 4th May traffic was less but now you can expect slightly higher time due to busy traffic.

2. Till what point we can take our own car.
Ans: Till Sonprayag

3. Do we really need heavy woolens / Jackets.
Ans: On 4th May I needed a jacket in night and early morning at and closer to Kedarnath. Rest I was fine in a full shirt. Please check current temperature levels before leaving.

4. Can we enter the Main Mandir for Darshan or it is not the way Darshan is being done currently.
Ans: Yes you can enter main mandir for Darshan. But you would be at a distance of 6 feet from Shivling. However if you book some Puja options may be you can pour water and worship the Shivling. But not sure on this option and this is my assumption. Please check there itself if Puja option allows you to get any closer to Shivling.

5. Is there any other place worth visiting near Kedarnath Mandir or one should return just after Darshan.
Ans: a) Bhimshila b) Adi Shankaracharya samadhi c) Bhairon mandir 1 km above Shri Kedarnath d) Vasuki Tal 7 km above Shri Kedarnath - Need a guide and permit to visit e) Kedarnath wildlife sanctuary - No idea about this place please check there only.

6. Any other place recommended to visit near Sonprayag / Gaurikund after getting down from Kedarnath.
Ans : On return to Sonprayag you can visit Shri Triyuginarayan temple at a distance of 12km : the place where Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati got married. If you are married then this is a must visit place.

7. Can we get back to Delhi from Sonprayag / Gaurikund if we start by noon.
Ans: I left around 12 from Sonprayag and reached Delhi at 10 15 pm with a break of around 1 hour and 15 mins.

Last edited by steadfast : 15th May 2022 at 11:40.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Hi All,

I visited Kedarnath on 5th and 6th May, 2022 for the opening ceremony. Any queries and doubts if you plan to visit I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks. Har har Mahadev.
Thanks Steadfast for your patience in responding to all Queries. Reading through the entire thread helped me a lot in understanding the preparation, planning and permits requirement. Just one query that I have

I planned to visit the temple in Sept and I see that the rooms/Dormitories option in Kedarnath is showing as Zero in the GMVN website for many dates I tried. Is this already booked or is it yet to be made available for booking?
Old 25th May 2022, 12:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndArun_BHP View Post
Thanks Steadfast for your patience in responding to all Queries. Reading through the entire thread helped me a lot in understanding the preparation, planning and permits requirement. Just one query that I have

I planned to visit the temple in Sept and I see that the rooms/Dormitories option in Kedarnath is showing as Zero in the GMVN website for many dates I tried. Is this already booked or is it yet to be made available for booking?
Yes exactly, I have the same query. Why are the accomodation numbers 0 from 1Sep onwards. However if you check for anything from 1st July to 31st Aug accomodation is still available.

Possibly the portal opens up later.
Old 25th May 2022, 13:04   #30

Thanks for the update.... Will keep an eye on the portal and update the forum if I am lucky to get an accommodation booking in Sept

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks