Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 20:29   #61
BHPian

Chennai!!

Recently,I was on a trip to koutralam just when the season began. All the falls were pouring to their best; however the crowd was maddening and unruly. Had to go to the falls at 1am or 2am at night to get a decent shower, even at that time I could find a lot of people peeping in..Koutralam is basically a nice place spoiled by some maddening and boisterous crowd, so I would suggest “Better avoid it”.

I am born and brought up in Chennai and have been to various other cities in India .I found Chennai to have the least(est) number of getaway spots and also the so called few such as Pondy,Mahabs cannot be really called getaway spots, apart from liquor you cannot get anything else in these places. Except for Pasha, Havana and BnB, I don’t find anything else interesting in Chennai. I and my friends often have to go to Karnataka for some adventure activities and this comes at a cost of 600km.Adding to this, the climate in Chennai is making life even more horrible, I just could not use govt transport at all. I sweat profusely whenever I take the bus or just walk by on the road, there is never a bit of chill air in Chennai.

Waiting for a permanent getaway from Chennai!!

Last edited by v12 : 21st July 2009 at 11:03.
Old 20th July 2009, 22:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_subbiah View Post
Hi,

Does't Courtallam come under 3days visit?
Technically yes. But 2 days will be spent traveling. It is around 600km one way plus the roads are being laid the last time I went (8 months back)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I will answer about Gingee. If you leave early you can club the fort visit Tiruvannamalai temple. Since you need climb up for both the forts I suggest you reach before the sun becomes blazing. Mjothi had done a great report on these two places a couple of months ago. What many don't know is this is a Maratha fort deep down south. Worth a visit if hiking is not an issue. Its about 40 kilometres from the NH45 turnoff
Thanks. I have planned a trip to Gingee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gops View Post
Proxima,

You can try out Yelagiri, which is about 220 Kms from Chennai or Horsley Hills ( around 250 Kms).

~Gops
Went to Yelagiri last week. Tried going to Horsley hills a few months back. AFAIK, is it NOT 250km but more like 300km. It can be a 2/3 day drive.

I will never go to a 2nd grade hill station like Yelagiri/Horsley again. There is simply nothing to see! And it is warmer than Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Recently,I was on a trip to koutralam just when the season began. All the falls were pouring to their best; however the crowd was maddening and unruly. Had to go to the falls at 1am or 2am at night to get a decent shower, even at that time I could find a lot of people peeping in..Koutralam is basically a nice place spoiled by some maddening and boisterous crowd, so I would suggest “Better avoid it”.
Why are you typing in all bold?

I had a FANTASTIC experience in Coutrallam. That water is amazing! Feels fabulous, especially if you take a shower after getting an oil massage!

To really enjoy the place, we should gel with the crowd. There are separate sections for men and women, I don't understand what your problem was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Except for Pasha, Havana and BnB, I don’t find anything else interesting in Chennai.
Those are getaways?

Last edited by Proxima : 20th July 2009 at 23:05.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

More Places w.r.t Chennai as a base

1 Day trip - Leave in Morning return by late evening
  • Pulicat Lake
  • Banavaram Reserve Forest (Sholinghur Railway Station)
  • Jalagamparai Waterfall Vellore
  • Beemanmadavu Waterfall Vellore
  • Amirthi Waterfall Vellore
  • Jawadhu Hills (Tiruvannamalai / Vellore) (Zoo, Boating and Telescope house)
  • Tada Falls
  • Gingee Fort
  • Alamparai Fort (ECR Near Mahabalipuram)
  • Amirthi Zoological Park
  • Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary
2 Day Trip - Leave on Morning Day 1 and Return Evening / Late Evening Day 2. Ideal For a weekend.
  • Horsley Hills
  • Hogenekkal Falls
  • Pondicherry
  • Krishnagiri Dam
  • Kaundinya Wildlife Reserve
  • Venkateshwara Zoological Park (before Tirupati)
  • Chandragiri Fort
  • Yelagiri Hills
I Will add more as and when i recollect and infer places
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:08   #64
BHPian

Thanks for taking the efforts, scorpiobharath.

When is the season for these falls?
  • Jalagamparai Waterfall Vellore
  • Beemanmadavu Waterfall Vellore
  • Amirthi Waterfall Vellore
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hey Proxima,

All Waterfalls near chennai except Hogenakkal are best visited between Nov and Feb. It is okay in March. From April it is a waste.

Reg the Falls, you may have to park the vehicle and Trek for .5 - 1 km depending on the Falls to reach the base of the fall.
Old 2nd February 2010, 18:43   #66
BHPian

Thanks scorpiobharath.

How are these falls when it comes to safety of the car when parked and distance from car park to waterfall base?
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

The hogennakal has a dedicated Parking lot for 2W and 4W run by Govt of TN. they issue a ticket for parking.

At other places, we may need to find a place and park. Vehicle security is a question, but there are some Juice and Chips shops around the parking space. You cannot see the car from the Waterfall base.

I have not heard of any Vehicle problems there, but still we cannot say for sure.

Since you are in Chennai, I can recommend a good Safety Device. Fix a DMK Flag on your Vehicle and no one will dare even to touch your car.

We went by a Hired Taxi Vehicle and the driver stayed back in the car.
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I always visit Pondicherry in one day trip. But I start before 6 am. Reach before 9 am to Auroville. Before 12 Ashram and Manakular. After A2B lunch Chunnambar boating and back or Mudliarkuppam boating Mahabs in one day. If you plan well it is possible.
Old 3rd February 2010, 08:59   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hey Navan49,

I Agree It is very much possible to do to Pondy in a day.

I was referring to the Night Drive along the beach. It is really wonderful. It will be calm and quiet and relaxing.
Old 3rd February 2010, 11:46   #70
Team-BHP Support

Any recommended innova/qualis/scorpio rental services in Chennai? (WITHOUT driver).

Thinking of driving down to Yercuad for a weekend stay!
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hi Crazy Driver,

Try This - Car Rental Agency,Self drive cars,self drive car,Self driven cars,Self drive cars, Selfdriven cars,Self Driven Cars,Self Driven Car, Self Drive Cars, Self drive car,Self Driven Cars,self driven cars,self driven cars in chennai,self driven car,self dr and SELF DRIVE CARS - CARS FOR RENT IN CHENNAI , INDIA .

I have not used these services but i guess speaking to them will yield some results. Google it and lot of results are obtained.

Sorry, I dont know any operator personally.
Old 6th February 2010, 17:06   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thinking of driving down to Yercuad for a weekend stay!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I have not used these services but i guess speaking to them will yield some results.
Thanks a lot! Unfortunately, the drive has to be postponed due to conflict with work schedules.

Most probably planning to do it on March 1st or 2nd weekend!
Old 20th April 2010, 13:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Mudaliarkuppam

Adding a new place to the List

Mudaliarkuppam boating is another place to visit for a one day outing from Chennai. It is some 45 mins drive from Mahabalipuram on the ECR.
Old 24th January 2011, 18:25   #74
BHPian

Re: Getaways from Chennai?

Pichavaram is another getaway spot near Chennai. The place is home to world's 2nd largest mangrove backwater forest. Boating facility is available there.

This could be covered within a day if started early from Chennai or as a weekend trip if clubbed with Pondy/Chidambaram. The place is 60-70 kms from Pondicherry towards Chidambaram.

Last edited by donzerus : 24th January 2011 at 18:26.
Old 6th May 2011, 08:33   #75
BHPian

Re: Getaways from Chennai?

Pichavaram boat house is run by the TTDC and also has a rest house/rooms in the middle of the mangrove forest

You can reach it only by boat. Food and water is also ferried

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks