Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2007, 10:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulein View Post
on reaching B'lore did a bent rim give me a flat (I use tubeless radials which are great for regular punctures but cant handle a bent rim and leak air thro the sidewall)...
This was my first long drive with tubeless radials on stck rims and thus was overtly careful of the huge potholes. rims came out unscathed. thankfully..
Old 26th September 2007, 10:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Goandude, How are the roads on NH17 in Goa?
Old 26th September 2007, 10:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

SHulein its definately not recomeded to get on the NH17, especially if you are planning to enjoy tour drive! as others have mentioned lots of bad patches.

Sometime back this road was so good that dint feel like stopping anywhere, just ride on....but now its the other way:(
Old 26th September 2007, 11:28   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday there was a 9 hour traffic jam at Shiradi Ghat, I met one of the guy who was stuck in this jam, he had breakfast at 4PM. Everybody please avoid this route if possible.
The same gentleman spent 10 hours last week on the same road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shulein
Thanks Magiceye n Goandude, we seem to be the only 3 earthlings from the team-bhp fraternity to have recently experienced!! ooops, suffered these martian roads!!
What about me, I live around here. I finally took mercy on the Baleno and sold it. I hardly travelled this Monsoon because of the roads, and the SUVs (Gurkha/Safari 2.2L) I hoped for never got released.
Old 29th September 2007, 15:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

I had been to coastal karnataka area for 2 weeks stay. I had terrible situation with roads.

1. Bangalore to Kadur good road.
2. Around tavarkere, Badravaati, Shimoga roads are not good.
3. Between Jog falls and Honnavaar roads are quiet ok.
4. Between Mangalore and Ankola roads are terrible very bad.
5. Road between ankola and Karawar is good except for few bad stretches.
6. Road between haveri and chitradurga is suitale for Dirt bike raise. I feel we from TBHP should come forward and organize dirt bike raise for people who are responsible for these bad stretches.

7. I heard NH17 in south goa is not good in few places.

The main reason for bad roads is bad quality of materials used last year
when they laid new layer. They used Kerosine instead of Dambur. Because of heavy lorries and heavy rain roads could not hold up and now they need to build the road from the scratch.

Public are shouting on Indian Government for this who is cuplrit because central government has to maintain National highways.

My Innova's Front left Tyre has gone Bald within 800 km travelling in these roads. Now I did tyre rotation and balancing after coming back to bangalore and very soon in 2 months I need to upgrade my tyres.

I have decided to fly in future instead of this hectic road journey.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 29th September 2007 at 15:51.
Old 29th September 2007, 16:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

I took the bus from B'lore to M'lore last night. Shiradi ghat has been completely blocked and all buses go thru Charmadi ghat. The journey was pretty awfull becoz of the bad roads and the bus "Air" suspension seems to have very little air in it !! But I managed to sleep soundly

The delay was minimal (i.e 2-3 hours), more so because I got down at Belthangadi. My guess is that it would have reached M'lore at 10-11 AM.
Old 29th September 2007, 19:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
My Innova's Front left Tyre has gone Bald within 800 km travelling in these roads.
Bad roads leading to a bald tyre within 800 kms?! There seems to be some other problem. Please have it looked into.
And why only one tyre then?
Old 29th September 2007, 22:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anupmathur,

Sorry for confusion. Tyres have clocked 20,000km now. what I mean is last 800km drive in bad roads made tyres loosing the shape and one tyre has gone bald. Hope this clears.

Rain has come down now and I heard road repair work is started, hopefully things will be alright in couple of months.

Ravi.
Old 30th September 2007, 07:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tyres have clocked 20,000km now. what I mean is last 800km drive in bad roads made tyres loosing the shape and one tyre has gone bald.
Still why only one? Please have your suspension bushes and wheel alignment cheacked. Bad roads take their toll on these.
Old 30th September 2007, 08:55   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rain has come down now and I heard road repair work is started, hopefully things will be alright in couple of months.
Not really, the south-west monsoon has ended, but north-east monsoon has started. The frequency may be little less, but the intensity has increased. We got a severe pounding last night.
Old 30th September 2007, 17:16   #56
BHPian

few weeks back, while coming down from Goa, i got into this stretch from Honnavar to Kollur deviation on NH17.. it was horrible..big size potholes filledup with stones & mud..and trucks never give way or go fast but only throw mud..i was on bike and i was literally praying for rain as the trucks were creating a dust storm..very very irritating...

Honnavar to Goa is a mixed affair..60% decent roads and remaining will test the patience.

Tumkur to Honnavar has not changed much over the past 4 years..mostly manageable except that piece of sh*t near badravathi/tarikeri which is still the same!

this particular stretch on NH17 near to Goa was awesome though..
Old 1st October 2007, 10:52   #57
Senior - BHPian

Roads slowly giving up btw Nelamangala -Hassan

Folks just back from Chicmaglur, am afraid to say that the roads have started to give esp near hassan and Kunigal, hope National Hiway authority get into action before they get the present shpae of Shiradi.

btw read a article in a news paper that KSRTC is incurrig heavy losses due to the bad roads(Shiradi ghats). Volvos suspensions are giving up and maintaining them wont be cheap! even KSRTC is putting pressure so that the roads gets fixed.
Old 1st October 2007, 11:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks just back from Chicmaglur, am afraid to say that the roads have started to give esp near hassan and Kunigal, hope National Hiway authority get into action before they get the present shpae of Shiradi.

btw read a article in a news paper that KSRTC is incurrig heavy losses due to the bad roads(Shiradi ghats). Volvos suspensions are giving up and maintaining them wont be cheap! even KSRTC is putting pressure so that the roads gets fixed.

Yup. And the State highway authorities (??) have embarked upon concretizing (not asphalt) the most vulnerable 17 km stretch in Shiradi Ghats. And all large truck traffic is supposed to be halted; the authorities (what an oxymoron) will only let small CVs thru.

And apparently yday saw a 3.5 hr traffic jam on Charmadi Ghats due to everyone plying that route due to the long weekend.
Old 1st October 2007, 11:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Yup. And the State highway authorities (??) have embarked upon concretizing (not asphalt) the most vulnerable 17 km stretch in Shiradi Ghats. And all large truck traffic is supposed to be halted; the authorities (what an oxymoron) will only let small CVs thru.

And apparently yday saw a 3.5 hr traffic jam on Charmadi Ghats due to everyone plying that route due to the long weekend.

Traffic jam on charmadi cant take this!
Old 12th October 2007, 10:53   #60

Road Condition - Bangalore Mangalore

Can any one tell me the condition of roads Bangalore - Mangalore via Hassan -Sakleshpur????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks