Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2007, 10:18   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
There was a time when I did Goa-Mangalore in 4 hours flat !!
That's 400kms, how, when, what car?
Old 31st October 2007, 10:34   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's 400kms, how, when, what car?
Believe it or not - Maruti Omni. Back in the mad mad days of 1992. Hmmm..my memory is a bit hazy.. maybe you can add an extra hour to that time.. just to be on the safe side

I remember this, because the next time we did the Goa-M'lore trip, the engine seized on the same vehicle and we had to ship the van in a Tata 407 back to M'lore in the middle of the night
Old 31st October 2007, 12:12   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm..my memory is a bit hazy.. maybe you can add an extra hour to that time.. just to be on the safe side
Exercise your memory a bit more dude, and pls add 2 more hours to make sense to your statement...400km in 6 hours makes a lot of sense for a carb Omni in 92...

Abhi
Old 31st October 2007, 12:22   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Exercise your memory a bit more dude, and pls add 2 more hours to make sense to your statement...400km in 6 hours makes a lot of sense for a carb Omni in 92...
But he meant add 2 more hours to 1992, not the transit time!!
Old 31st October 2007, 12:29   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
OT: Nah.. 2 hours is a bit too high.. I remember maintaining a near constant speed of 80-100kmph... I was a lot younger then.. wouldnt attempt anything like that now. My friend who used to do this route regularly, like every 2 months (frequent visits to the their temple in Goa, not beaches ) was totally shocked !! Only time I slowed down was along the Maravanthe beach stretch. Not to admire the scenery.. but because the cross-wind was buffeting the van like mad !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
But he meant add 2 more hours to 1992, not the transit time!!
.. love ur sense of humor.. almost on every post u make on the forum

Last edited by spadival : 31st October 2007 at 12:36.
Old 31st October 2007, 13:05   #96
Senior - BHPian

My best time between Mangalore and Madgaon, Goa (355 kms) is 5 hours, never been able to go faster than that, in 3 different vehicles Mahindra Commander, Daewoo Matiz or Mahindra Scorpio. These were on good roads.
Old 31st October 2007, 13:59   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. love ur sense of humor.. almost on every post u make on the forum
Thank you Sir. Great men inspire me - T.E.D. and S.K., listed in alphabetical order of age.
Old 31st October 2007, 14:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My best time between Mangalore and Madgaon, Goa (355 kms) is 5 hours, never been able to go faster than that, in 3 different vehicles Mahindra Commander, Daewoo Matiz or Mahindra Scorpio. These were on good roads.
I would probably want try this again just to prove you wrong.. Buttt given the current state of the road, after the journey, both the driver and the vehicle may not in a "healthy" state to recount the tale
Old 31st October 2007, 14:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

God alone knows when the road conditions are going to improve. One side we got the state govt who dont know what is going on and the other the center govt who just wanna show that the state govt is at fault!!! God the ultimate sufferer is the people who pay for both sets of A@##$#@$ to sit in their chairs.
Remember a time when i used to love driving between udupi Mlr but nowadays the entire stretch of NH is a hell... Live in coorg and the road from coorg to mlr is horrible as the govt is planning on widening the road so they dont want to spend money for simple repairs.
And the main culprits are the iron ore trucks which ply on these routes. Destroy the roads and then also make everything in and around the roads look brown. Once a green mlr has become brown. Just have a look at Mlr port from Wikimapia to find out why we are so Bloody angry at those people mining iron ore
Old 31st October 2007, 15:29   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
And the main culprits are the iron ore trucks which ply on these routes. Destroy the roads and then also make everything in and around the roads look brown.
Just the list of roads destroyed by these trucks is mind boggling !! No wonder the mine owners fly around in helicopters !!
Old 31st October 2007, 15:30   #101
Team-BHP Support

Had been to Mangalore last week with family, no didn't take the Santro. Instead I hired an Indica Taxi since I am not familiar with Mangalore roads.

After Suratkal, the entire route looks dull and brown. It is brown Mangalore.

Next catastrophe is in the making is the Nagarjuna Thermal power plant in Nandikoor, near Padubidri. Thanks to this plant the eco system around that 25Kms radius will be completely destroyed by coal ash, that includes my maternal ancestral home.

My Dad's ancestral house near Suratkal has already been completely spoiled by wastage dumping of MRPL, there is oil seeping out from all the paddy fields around the house. Once fertile land, spoilt for ever.

These are all supposed to be in the name of progress. The bandicoots in the Government can't give us proper roads, but they destroy in the name of progress.
Old 31st October 2007, 15:36   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Had been to Mangalore last week with family, no didn't take the Santro. Instead I hired an Indica Taxi since I am not familiar with Mangalore roads.

After Suratkal, the entire route looks dull and brown. It is brown Mangalore.

Next catastrophe is in the making is the Nagarjuna Thermal power plant in Nandikoor, near Padubidri. Thanks to this plant the eco system around that 25Kms radius will be completely destroyed by coal ash, that includes my maternal ancestral home.

My Dad's ancestral house near Suratkal has already been completely spoiled by wastage dumping of MRPL, there is oil seeping out from all the paddy fields around the house. Once fertile land, spoilt for ever.

These are all supposed to be in the name of progress. The bandicoots in the Government can't give us proper roads, but they destroy in the name of progress.
Ohh man dont like this! dont know why these so called progressinve projects are in hte coast(mangalore..) Also they wanted to do something in western ghats. guess they wont stop till everything is destroyed!
Old 31st October 2007, 20:38   #103
BHPian

Yesterday was total bundh in Udupi dist on NH17....reason: bad roads.People even played cricket,dance dramas,ykshagana to highlight the condition of bad roads.Hope things improve...
Old 1st November 2007, 15:09   #104
Senior - BHPian

Well we got to keep hoping....the guys everywhr are the same...interested in money and not work....Bloody hell these roads are not going to improve....until there is a big project which comes up....Loved the vajpayee govt solely for the reason tat the roads they did up were excellent....the present people seem to have done nothing!!!
Old 1st November 2007, 20:57   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Ohh man dont like this! dont know why these so called progressinve projects are in hte coast(mangalore..) Also they wanted to do something in western ghats. guess they wont stop till everything is destroyed!
Yes. our netas/bureaucrats are hell bent on spoiling the ecosystem. Regular surveys are on in my hometown in western ghats area in Sagar Taluk for some mining purpose. Already some hills full of forests have been cut open to make way for mining lorries.

People are protesting , but who cares

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks