Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2007, 03:05   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After Suratkal, the entire route looks dull and brown. It is brown Mangalore.
Quote:
Thanks to this plant the eco system around that 25Kms radius will be completely destroyed by coal ash, that includes my maternal ancestral home.
Quote:
there is oil seeping out from all the paddy fields around the house. Once fertile land, spoilt for ever.
This is really sad! This was one of my favourite places, right from college days when we used to ride down.

How green was my valley...........
Old 2nd November 2007, 13:26   #107
BHPian

Is there any alternative route from Mangalore to Kollur so that I can avoid driving on the hellish highway? I need to travel with family this weekend - and never been to the place before. Nor have I seen the highway north of Mangalore - but guess I know enough from this thread.
Old 4th November 2007, 20:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Had a bumpy ride from Ankola to M'lore today on NH17. There is no road left in many places. NH17 is a barely a shadow of its former self. Hell.. if this is "progress", its time to be nostalgic about the good old days.

I am waiting and hoping for the day when the mines shut down.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:43   #109
Senior - BHPian

Just back from Goa, while going whent via Shimoga. had to pass through 40+kms of horrifying road, roads were fine till Mirjan. once on NH17 there the fun began From karwar to Mangalore i went by NH17 again, yes in my OHC

From Mangalore i came by "Shiradi", i think i have drive in one of the worst roads one can drive in his/her life time. and am more then happy about the way my OHC took these roads.

Will suggest to everyone to not to venture into these roads till they are fixed...

Hi time that the government act, and fix these roads properly.

Bad stretches: Karwar to Gokarna - few bad stetches but managable, Gokarna to Honnavar - Quiet a few bad stretches, need to be extremly careful esp in cars, Honnavar to Bhatkala - Lots of bad stretches, i think near Byndoor there is a long bad stretch. its like you come out of one and get into a nother...

Last edited by lohithrao : 13th November 2007 at 15:03.
Old 13th November 2007, 14:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

forgot to complete...

Kundapoor to mangalore - till Kundapur lots of bad stretches, Udupi to Mangalore there is just couple of them, one who crosses these roads wont complain about the Udupi to Mlore road, From Mangalore to Shiradi - at regular intervals you will find bad patches, Shiradi is the boss of bad roads

Last edited by lohithrao : 13th November 2007 at 15:02.
Old 13th December 2007, 13:29   #111
KVS
BHPian

What is the road condition currently? Any improvements?

I am planning to drive down from Pune to Mangalore, Mangalore to B'lore and From B'lore back to Pune.

Last year I travelled from Belgum to Karwar. The road was pretty bad. It took almost 7 hrs to reach Karwar. Does any one travelled through this segment recently?

Regards

KV
Old 13th December 2007, 15:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Dont think would be very different then what it was a month back....though they were fixing in some places, but dont think that would b lasting for long.
they will have to relay the road..same casde with shiradi and madikeri routes...only option is through karkala - kalsa - chicmaglur - hassan...
good luck
Old 13th December 2007, 16:33   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Last year I travelled from Belgum to Karwar. The road was pretty bad. It took almost 7 hrs to reach Karwar.
Regards

KV
I thought u can bypass Karwar and join NH17 at Ankola. But the road isn't any better from Ankola to Mangalore. I suggest you take the KSRTC Airvath from Pune. Starts around 7:30 pm (Schedule is 6:30 pm) and reaches Mangalore at around 10AM... I think it will be very tiring if u travel by car.
Old 13th December 2007, 16:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

When I checked I heard they are repairing NH17 but its of no use since quality of work is bad and only few places they have repaired it.

Belgaum to Karwar via Anshi ghat is not bad this year since in last summer they have relaid the road.

No hopes for road to get ready because every one fear Central governement may fall by April 2008, so they are not interested to do any new work neither repair the roads.

Great disappointment about National Highways :( in Karnataka because of poor quality work from last 3 years and SC has already issued notice to governament and contractors but absolutely of no use.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th December 2007, 17:13   #115
KVS
BHPian

Spadival,

Took leave for driving vacation. Not intereseted to go by bus/Train. I am planning to take breaks at Belgum, Karwar/Gokarnam.

Are you suggesting to take NH63 from Hubli to Ankola. Is not it longer route?

Ravibhat:

Thanks. Anshi Ghat was pathetic, exactly year back. If they have relaid the road then I can venture one more time. The drive is excellent except the roads.
Old 13th December 2007, 18:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

I dont think the roads would be fixed in 2008?? atleast by the way these guys attitude and adding to the mess is the political situation...

So people who love driving time to take a break
Old 13th December 2007, 19:37   #117
BHPian

The situation is really bad in mangalore guys. The flyovers that were meant to improve the roads and traffic in and around the city are causing all the problem. Its been 2 years since they started work on flyover near Kottara and doesnt look like it will be finished in next 2 years atleast.

Now they have also started digging near Bikarnakatte for the nantoor Flyover.
Its a total mess. Im sure the roads in mangalore are the worst you will in any city.
All politicians are just blaming each other but none want to improve the roads.
God help us and our cars.
Old 14th December 2007, 09:17   #118
BHPian

Any idea/update on the alternate routes towards Mangalore from Bangalore like Charmadi ghat road or Sampaje Ghat Road ?
Old 14th December 2007, 17:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Spadival,

Took leave for driving vacation. Not intereseted to go by bus/Train. I am planning to take breaks at Belgum, Karwar/Gokarnam.

Are you suggesting to take NH63 from Hubli to Ankola. Is not it longer route?
on the map, It looks just about the same distance as the one thru Anshi ghat. Also, u don't have Bellary mining trucks making mincemeat of the road thru Anshi ghat.. unlike NH63

BUTT.. beyond Ankola.. I can guarantee that u will wonder where IS the road.. I have seen better village roads than this so called national highway !!
Old 14th December 2007, 18:40   #120
Senior - BHPian

From karwar till Udupi the roads are in a sad state, after Honnavara its gets worse...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks