Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 13:59   #121
BHPian

Any updates on the road condition between Kundapur and Goa? I have seen that NH17 south of Kundapur has been touched up and made driveable. Can we say the same thing about Kundapur-Goa?

I am seriously thinking of driving to Goa from Mangalore (alternative: have train reservations).
Old 21st January 2008, 15:52   #122
Senior - BHPian

Patch work is done but still road is not smooth. Now NH17 is better than its September 2007 condition.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 21st January 2008, 23:07   #123
PVS
BHPian

Pitiable condition of the NH17 indeed! I remember, it used to be in a fairly good condition - at least the Mangalore - Udupi section, when I last saw it in 1998 - the last year of my college life at Manipal.

And how about the maniacal private bus guys between Kundapura/Manipal/Udupi and Mangalore? Do they still drive like maniacs or have mellowed down? Of course the Grand Dads of the route - CPC & Shanker Vittal, used to maintain a semblance of dignity.
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:00   #124
Senior - BHPian

PVS the road condition was great around 2000-2003, but last couple of years it has turned out to be horrible! i think Nh 17 should be in a better state in what it was in Nov, sould be easily managable.

About private buses, they still behave the same. the attitude of the bus drivers remains the same from Kundapura to Kasargod
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:38   #125
Senior - BHPian

their attitude coupled with the road conditions... quite deadly..i mean literally..can cause death..
Old 24th January 2008, 22:12   #126
BHPian

Nh 17

Guys can anyone update on the road condition from Bhatkal to karwar-Goa?

Had done this strech long back and while returning to bangalore..
Old 27th January 2008, 21:37   #127
Senior - BHPian

Day back My uncle has travelled between Kumta and Mangalore in NH17 on the way to Kukke Subramanya, they told me it took 9 hours to reach and road is not good with rough surface although eye washing patch work is done but its of no use. He says its not like usual NH17 he has seen from last 30 years.

Next month I am planning to attend wedding near Kundapura now in double mind to decide about journey.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:30   #128
Senior - BHPian

In Nove there was reallu bad stretches arouynd kundapura.. Bhatkala, hope they atleast have covered it. i think most of us who travel regularly to the coast have got used to the bad surface
Old 29th January 2008, 11:12   #129
BHPian

I made a quick road trip to Goa and back (from Mangalore) last weekend (Fri - Sun). Frankly the roads were better than expected. Not that they are in great shape everywhere, but definitely some work has been done and NH17 is driveable throughout.

From Mangalore to Surathkal four-laning work is in progress and it will give you considerable trouble switching lanes and negotiating very rough sections.

From Surathkal the road is good to very good till Kundapur.

From Kundapur the quality comes down a bit, the surface becomes slightly rough but thankfully without potholes. You can still maintain good speeds.

Around Bhatkal the road was somewhat bad. There were some potholes around Baindur/Shiroor, and I had to slow down.

Bhatkal to Honavar was ok, Honavar to Ankola slightly bad (you can still drive fast, but not very fast). Ankola - Kumta - Karwar was good, if I remember correctly.

Karwar to Panaji was also good, though there are some average stretches inside Goa.

Now about the time it took (I am not having my log with me right now, so will give you the overall time):

Started from Mangalore at 4:30 AM on Friday. Stopped for breakfast before Kundapur for 30 minutes. Reached Maravanthe at 6:45 and stopped for 20 minutes.

Stopped at Karwar for another 15-20 minutes to take in the views.

With all these breaks, entered Goa state at 10:30 AM (around 280 km from Mangalore). Rached my resort at Arpora (stopped at places to enquire the route) at 1:00 PM. I had seriously underestimated the time it would take INSIDE Goa. From the entry point to Panaji it is a good 1.5 hours if not more. And the increased traffic didn't help.

On return, started from Panaji at 10:30 AM and reached Mangalore at 6 PM. There was a short break of 15 minutes at Canacona and then about 30-40 minutes at Kumta for lunch.
Old 29th January 2008, 11:36   #130
Senior - BHPian

Good report pjay.... great to know that NH 17 is drivable ... 2 months back all that i could remember is pot holes and pot holes...could hardly go to 3 r gear.
Old 1st February 2008, 23:38   #131
PVS
BHPian

Any updates on NH 63 - Hubli Ankola road? Has it been repaired or still in a pathetic condition? My parents wanted to do the Hubli-Ankola-Gokarna-Murudeshwara and back to Hubli via Ankola by bus/cab.

A few questions:
1) What is the approximate time taken (by bus) for the Hubli Ankola section?
2) What is the best way to visit Gokarna & Murdeshwara from Hubli? I am suggesting my parents to take a night halt at Ankola, cover Gokarna (Ankola - Gokarna - 25 Kms) & Murudeshwara (Gokarna - M'deshwara - 46 Kms) the next day, and get back to Hubli the next day early morning.
3) Any idea how much a cab costs to cover Gokarna & Murdeshwara & back from Ankola?
4) Any decent places to stay at Ankola? I am googling for more info; but would appreciate if anyone has better options.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd February 2008, 09:16   #132
Senior - BHPian

Hi PVS,

Since my parents work in Ankola I can help you to hire Cab (Indica or Quallis i suggest I know many operators there since I am regular customer).

Plan1:

Its good idea to travel by BUS between Hubli and Ankola so they can save 1 day cab expenses and can get good CABS in Ankola with good service assured. Aprox. time taken by BUS to travel between hubli and Ankola is 4 hours. Road between yellapur and hubli (70km aprox.) is good and patch work done between ankola and yellapur(70km), but because of Mines lorries overtaking is nightmare, so bus is best way.

If they catch early morning Bus from Hubli and reach Ankola by 9AM or 10AM and have breakfast in Hotel Sapna (Best place to eat pure Veg. food in Ankola and I know the owner and in Sapna hotel building itself there is lodge hotel Tourist which is decent/cheap and I know them very well, so you can get best room and good service.)

And then start Journey to Gokarna (25km) by CAB and reach Gokarna by 11AM and they can reach PanduRanga international Hotel for lunch by 2PM near Kumta wich is excellant hotel to eat/stay in Kumta. Gokarna -> Kumta (30km)-> Honnavar (20km)-> Murdeshwara (30km) is 80km. and would need 100minutes drive with decent speeds.

If they leave Murdeshwara by 6PM they can reach Ankola by 8PM and have dinner at hotel Sapna and choose either of 2 lodges (another one's name is Hotel Surya I guess) available within 100 meters of hotel Sapna.

Next day morning they can leave Ankola by BUS to Hubli. Frequency of BUs is very much so they can get easily one with seat available.

I think budget it would cost:

1. BUS fare hubli-ankola: 120/- aprox. per person
2. CAB for 1 day : 1500/- aprox. (They charge for 300km minimum per day and between ankola - gokarna - murdeshwara - ankola it would be 200km.) If needed we can bargain for discounts.
3. Food per person 140/- entire day (1 breakfast with tea/coeffe, lunch, breakfast, evening snack/dosa with tea/coeffe, dinner)
4. Hotel stay: 350 rs per night I guess.

Total Distance from Hubli -> Murdeshwara via Gokarna: 500km round trip max.

Plan2:

If they can hire cab in hubli and start from morning 5am or 6AM and come back to Hubli by 10PM, this can be done but be tiresome since because of not so smooth road, mine lorries.

Plan3:

Hire a cab in Hubli and visit the places and stay in Murdeshwara (very good hotels available) or Kumta at Panduranga international on first day and then head back to hubli next day and they can cover more places like beaches (many available), Magod Water Falls near yellapur (20km from it), If they prefer to go via Kumta -> Sirsi -> Mundagod or Hangal -> Hubli (road is queit ok and it has rough patches..) they can see few temples on the way.

Do good homework with their preferences/choices/budget and then make a call.

Any help needed they can reach my Dad's Cell. Pm me.

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd February 2008 at 09:20.
Old 2nd February 2008, 14:34   #133
PVS
BHPian

Wow! That was an absolutely detailed reply with alternate options. Thanks ravibhat. I will speak to my parents and work out a plan and PM you in case of assistance.

Thanks once again.
Old 17th September 2008, 21:56   #134
Senior - BHPian

Today heard good news that nh17 around Udupi will be repaired and 2 crores released. Work would be starting right away. I hope in 1 month they would repair the bad road.

Also since rainy season is almost over road repair work has started, so hopefully things will improve in couple of months.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 18th September 2008, 10:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Good news for sure, but only around Udupi? or till Karwar??

I want the NH17 back the way it was years back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Today heard good news that nh17 around Udupi will be repaired and 2 crores released. Work would be starting right away. I hope in 1 month they would repair the bad road.

Also since rainy season is almost over road repair work has started, so hopefully things will improve in couple of months.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks