Team-BHP - Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/26059-trivandrum-bangalore-route-queries-14.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by skm1967 (Post 3146681)
Hi,

I am planning to drive from Trivandrum to Bangalore on 17 Jun via Tenkasi-Madurai route.

Hi, I would like to know whether you took this route. If yes, how's the road condition for polo (read low ground clearance) ? Would like to try it for the scenic beauty it offers.

I haven't taken this route since the rains began but I understand that the road is damaged by the monsoon as far as Thenmala, possibly the whole ghat section. Once you're into Tamil Nadu its smooth going all the way.

I would say stay away and take the regular Nagakoil/Madurai option. Quite a lot of damage on this stretch from TVM to Thenmala via Palode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishk (Post 3193348)
I haven't taken this route since the rains began but I understand that the road is damaged by the monsoon as far as Thenmala, possibly the whole ghat section. Once you're into Tamil Nadu its smooth going all the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3193457)
I would say stay away and take the regular Nagakoil/Madurai option. Quite a lot of damage on this stretch from TVM to Thenmala via Palode.

Planning to do a Bangalore -TVM in the 2nd week of Aug. Would like to try different route other than the usual Nagercoil one. Had tried Theni route once.

Heard of the Tenkasi route and saw he comments from gkrishk and ampere on the current road conditions via palode. Any idea on these 2 options -

1. Via Madurai - Tenkashi - Punalur - Kottakara
https://www.google.co.in/maps/ms?msi...1964208c&msa=0

2. Via Madurai - tenkasi - kulathupuzha - anchal
https://www.google.co.in/maps/ms?msi...e21fbe5a&msa=0

Also depending on some situations, my starting time from bangalore could be as late as 10-11am. Which means I might be reaching thenmala area around 4-5pm or later as per my guess. With a 3yr old kid, safety also needs to be taken care off. Beyond Punalur, I am not worried since I have driven Punalur-Kottakara-TVM a lot of times.

So would one of the above be a good route to take now.

FundaG

Quote:

Originally Posted by fundagenie (Post 3194246)
So would one of the above be a good route to take now.

Any specific reason why you would like to take these interior roads?
You also mention about being late. In that case 4-lane makes more sense.

Quote:

Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208. This is a more scenic road than the former which runs through an arid part of Tamil Nadu. It is also shorter.
NH208 climbs up the Western Ghats and climbs down the other side. In the hills it runs through forests and alongside a river for a few km, and along a disused railway track with a spectacular curved arch bridge:

Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-img_0113.jpg

There are other attractions along this road: the Palaruvi waterfall, Thenmala dam and ecotourist site, abandoned train stations etc.. See
thread by mysticeyes - [url="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/109923-revisiting-evergreen-route-experiences-along-trivandrum-shenkottai-road.html?highlight=thenmala"[/URL]

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishk (Post 3194615)
Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208. This is a more scenic road than the former which runs through an arid part of Tamil Nadu. It is also shorter.
NH208 climbs up the Western Ghats and climbs down the other side. In the hills it runs through forests and alongside a river for a few km, and along a disused railway track with a spectacular curved arch bridge:

I am totally aware of what you mention. I really like these places as well. I just wanted to understand, if he was looking at a quick commute or he really wants to see these places. Because these it would may be a deluge in these sectors. (May you can add these details as I dont know how is the situation now).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3194510)
You also mention about being late. In that case 4-lane makes more sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishk (Post 3194615)
NH208 climbs up the Western Ghats and climbs down the other side.

No specific reason Ampere. Read about this route in Tbhp. As I mentioned earlier I had tried the theni route once while travelling to changnacherry. It was ultimate scenic but really time consuming. And being evening peak time the drive from Kumily to changnacherry was also really tiring.

I love such long drives to be a balance between time taken and being scenic. Not mind taking an extra 2-3 hrs provided
- the roads are not damaged for really long stretches
- not too much traffic blocks
- can maintain fairly good speeds (atleast 70-100kph) most of the time

I would prefer the nagarcoil route any day except for the traffic jam and delay in the neyatinkara-balaramapuram stretch. When you know the destination is just 30-40 kms away and then it takes 2hrs to cover this distance is really frustrating.:deadhorse

gkrishk, I loved your snaps. The route looks really scenic. And the roads also looks great. Hope its not too bad after the rains. I am a little confused when you mentioned "Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208." Both the google map routes I had shared takes the NH208. So is it the same or is there any other route. If it is different could you send the google map link for this. By the way, are there any good hotels on this stretch.

So my final decision on this route would depend mainly on the road conditions. Any recent updates post the rains.

FundaG

fundagenie,

given that you might reach Tenkashi later than 5PM, I'd suggest a no, not because the route is not doable but because there are some deviations you can take based on where you want to reach in Trivandrum. If you are looking to reach the Peroorkada side or the Kesavadasapuram side. Also this route is dark, pot holes exists, and is quite deserted at some locations.

This is my preferred route for the exact reason you mentioned about getting stuck in traffic when you have just 30Kms to go. But then I normally drive through the night and I am at Tenkashi around 6AM.

If you have clear 2 hours to pass by this route with sunlight I would advise to take this route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by laluks (Post 3194907)
fundagenie,

given that you might reach Tenkashi later than 5PM, I'd suggest a no, not because the route is not doable but because there are some deviations you can take based on where you want to reach in Trivandrum. If you are looking to reach the Peroorkada side or the Kesavadasapuram side. Also this route is dark, pot holes exists, and is quite deserted at some locations.

This is my preferred route for the exact reason you mentioned about getting stuck in traffic when you have just 30Kms to go. But then I normally drive through the night and I am at Tenkashi around 6AM.

If you have clear 2 hours to pass by this route with sunlight I would advise to take this route.

Got your point laluks. Approx what time should I start from bangalore to reach tenkasi by say 2-3pm which I assume that would be a good time for this route, right. Have you travelled on this route any time recently. Need to get some idea on the road conditions post the rains, especially shenkottai-punalur.

My destination is Kowadiar, but I would be looking to reach via kesavadasapuram side. Punalur and beyond is more of home turf :D, with lot of driving done on the MC road, so prefer that side.

FundaG

Heard from my friend who drove Bangalore-Trivandrum-Bangalore last weekend that the Nagercoil-Trivandrum stretch is completely broken. The mad traffic adds to this chaos. He was able to average only 30 kmph on this stretch.
He took the Trivandrum(Mangalapuram)-Attingal-Kilimanoor-Ayur-Anchal-Kulathupuzha-Thenmala-Thenkasi-Srivillaputhur-Thirumangalam-Salem-Bangalore route while returing. As per him, this route was much better and the drive was more relaxing. There are some bad patches near Thenmala (Between Kulathupuzha and Thenmala). The ghat section is also not really bad. The roads are really good after crossing to Tamilnadu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fundagenie (Post 3194964)
Got your point laluks. Approx what time should I start from bangalore to reach tenkasi by say 2-3pm which I assume that would be a good time for this route, right. Have you travelled on this route any time recently. Need to get some idea on the road conditions post the rains, especially shenkottai-punalur.

My destination is Kowadiar, but I would be looking to reach via kesavadasapuram side. Punalur and beyond is more of home turf :D, with lot of driving done on the MC road, so prefer that side.

FundaG

My data on the road surface is a bit old, but it was always bad near Thenmala Dam and a few of the curves there, with big pot holes.

I assume that you are going to take the deviation from NH7 at Madurai.

Bangalore Madurai is around 6 hours without any breaks. I normally drive at night around 10PM start would get me there by 4ish.

Another 2 to 2.5 hour on this route to Tenkashi, we reach there by 6-6.30ish for a tea, banana fritter break there :D. Another 1 to 1.5 hour to Punalur. From Punalur it will take another 2 hours to Kowdiar

So I guess if you start early morning 6ish from Bangalore, with your lunch break you should be able to reach Tenkashi around 3ish. May be you could start earlier too.

If you were to continue till Nagarcoil and to Trivandrum, my experience is Nagercoil can be reached under 8 hours (this is mostly possible due to the night drives) and a 2.5 hours from there to Trivandrum.

Quote:

I am a little confused when you mentioned "Turning away from NH7 south of Madurai at Thirumangalam brings you to the 2-lane NH208." Both the google map routes I had shared takes the NH208. So is it the same or is there any other route. If it is different could you send the google map link for this. By the way, are there any good hotels on this stretch.
NH7 continues south of Madurai (bypassing Madurai to its west). At Thirumangalam take the turning for Rajapalayam onto NH208. Its easily missed.

Unfortunately good eateries are scarce. I remember having lunch at a place called 'Bell Monkey' at Ilanji near Tenkasi. Rajapalayam has a couple of small restaurants.

Hi,
Planning to drive via Nagercoil-Madurai to Bangalore bypass (exactly to Nashik) this August. Please tell me the road condition of this route. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by passionforcars (Post 3196195)
Hi,
Planning to drive via Nagercoil-Madurai to Bangalore bypass (exactly to Nashik) this August. Please tell me the road condition of this route. Thanks

One word ... Excellent. 4-lane end to end Kanyakumari to Bangalore.
Need we say anything more ?