Team-BHP - Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/26059-trivandrum-bangalore-route-queries-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3409941)
I would suggest get past Krishnagiri and then halt for Break fast. After the flyover over the Chennai exit, there is a Saravana Bhavan at about 2-3km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3410045)
Plenty of good hotels:

1. Hotel Aryas between Sattur & KOvilpatti
2. CCD between Sattur & Kovilpatti
3. Capsi between Kayathar & Tirunelveli

Quote:

Originally Posted by arun_josie (Post 3410054)
- As mentioned by ampere, Saravana Bhavan after Chennai Exit, its on the left side
- A2B @ Thoppur, around 150Kms from bangalore, its on the right side
- Grant Estancia - Salem, it is in the main road itself, left side
- Hari's restaurant - Just after Kappalur Toll Booth (NH 7), on Madurai Bypass, its on the right side
- Capsi restaurant - After Madurai, after crossing Kayathar you will stop at Spudhur toll, its around 5-10mins from here on the left side. There is one just after the Spudhur toll as well. I think its Anandhas

Thanks all for the detailed options! This is indeed very helpful.

@hvkumar, you mentioned about bad road quality between Nagarcoil and TVM. Would it make sense to take the Killiyur route or is it best to stick to the main highway? Nagarcoil-TVM is a 4 lane?

Name:  20140411 06_14_11Google Maps.png
Views: 4790
Size:  173.6 KB

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3410045)
Plenty of good hotels: 1. Hotel Aryas between Sattur & KOvilpatti 2. CCD between Sattur & Kovilpatti 3. Capsi between Kayathar & Tirunelveli

Wouldn't recommend Capsi because of the delay in service. However, they have big parking facility and a small play area for kids. And the place is neat.

My usual concern is Dindigul to Salem stretch. No good restaurants or CCDs in this stretch I believe, till we hit Salem?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nileshch (Post 3410799)
Thanks all for the detailed options! This is indeed very helpful. @hvkumar, you mentioned about bad road quality between Nagarcoil and TVM. Would it make sense to take the Killiyur route or is it best to stick to the main highway? Nagarcoil-TVM is a 4 lane?

Nagercoil - TVM is a 2 lane. Road condition is average and there are 2 bridges under construction. Plan for 2 hours from Nagercoil to Poovar if you are doing this stretch between 5pm to 8pm (Based on your breakfast stops mentioned earlier).

I would recommend a stop at Nagercoil for refreshments/ tea. Hotel Udupi (veg) near Vadassery bus stand has good clean restrooms, nice facilities and is economical too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3410846)
My usual concern is Dindigul to Salem stretch. No good restaurants or CCDs in this stretch I believe, till we hit Salem?

There used to be an Arya Bhavan before Namakkal. But recently I saw it closed. Not sure if it was closed for ever or for renovation. But yes not much options. For the good places you need to get into the town. Now I hear a new one has come up on the Madurai bypass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3410856)
There used to be an Arya Bhavan before Namakkal. But recently I saw it closed. Not sure if it was closed for ever or for renovation. But yes not much options. For the good places you need to get into the town. Now I hear a new one has come up on the Madurai bypass.

On the Madurai by- pass (About 25 to 30 mins after Dindigul IIRC), would recommend hotel Aaryas. Easy to locate as it is a part of Bharat Petroleum Company owned complex. Restrooms are also clean.

Taken last month-
Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-image2332798957.jpg

Don't you just love the view outside that window? :D
Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries-image909829590.jpg

Planning to do Bangalore->Guruvayoor->Kochi->Kumarakom->Kovalam->Bangalore end of this month with a halt at each of those places. Any suggestions on the best route shall be welcome.

This is my first trip to kerala so I'm a newbie as far as roads on that side are concerned. So please do help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nileshch (Post 3410799)
@hvkumar, you mentioned about bad road quality between Nagarcoil and TVM. Would it make sense to take the Killiyur route or is it best to stick to the main highway? Nagarcoil-TVM is a 4 lane?

Stick to NH47. Interior roads are narrower, slower & can be confusing for someone who is new to the place. Signboards are also few and far between.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 3410864)
Planning to do Bangalore->Guruvayoor->Kochi->Kumarakom->Kovalam->Bangalore end of this month with a halt at each of those places. Any suggestions on the best route shall be welcome.

This is my first trip to kerala so I'm a newbie as far as roads on that side are concerned. So please do help.

You could take Bangalore-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Ottapalam-Shoranur-Pattambi-Kunnamkulam-Guruvayur
Guruvayur-Kodungallur-KOchi
Kochi-Aroor-Chertala-Kumarakom
Kumarakom-Chertala-Alapuzha-Kollam-Trivandrum-Kovalam
KOvalam-Balaramapuram-Nagercoil-Tirunelveli-Madurai-Dindigul-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 3410871)
Kumarakom-Chertala-Alapuzha-Kollam-Trivandrum-Kovalam

Sir, why not Kumarakom - Kottayam - Tiruvalla - Kottarakkara - Trivandrum - Kovalam? State highway is in a better state than the national highway, except for the occasional speed breakers where one needs to slow down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3410846)

You can try Hotel Arunachala, Karur. Its just 50-100M from the highway, but only lunch and dinner. They have both Non-Veg and Veg. Good parking, Air Conditioned, and good restroom as well.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...ra=ls&t=m&z=15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3410856)

Yes, thats closed for a long time now.

However the Aristos just after Karur and next to a BP is Re-opened as "Vaibhav Laxmi", has any one tried this?

There is one Burma Kadai near Virudhunagar on the highway. You get good Non-Veg food here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3410909)
Sir, why not Kumarakom - Kottayam - Tiruvalla - Kottarakkara - Trivandrum - Kovalam? State highway is in a better state than the national highway, except for the occasional speed breakers where one needs to slow down.

Yes, definitely a better route to take since MC Road is in better condition, has less traffic, but is also very twisty. Note that you have to get into Kottayam city & there are many small towns en route.

Note to turn off MC Road at Venjaramoodu & go via Pothancode to Kazhakootam to catch the TVM bypass via Techno Park to get to Kovalam - else you will have to navigate through TVM city

Spotted this new hotel on the Dindigul-Madurai stretch. Its on the left side and after 5-6Km from Hotel Fantasy.

Planning to travel from Electronic city to Trivandrum tomorrow (Friday). What would be the ideal time to start in the early morning from Bangalore (EC) to avoid Nagercoil - TVM traffic situation considering it is a Friday? To give an idea about my driving, I have done Bangalore to Madurai in 6.5 hours (with 30 minutes break). Also any other tips regarding current road conditions after the rains would be helpful.

A 4AM start, with proper sedate driving and well planned breaks would enable you reach Nagercoil by around 02:00 PM.
02:00PM the traffic should be relatively low between NGL and TVM. But the road condition would defenitely slow you down.
Plan your breakfast at Salem, Lunch at NGL and if you can plan your small stretch and nature-call breaks around the toll plazas.
This way you dont need to slow down and gain speed and catch up.
I dont think think its raining there right now and as per today's TOI, the monsoon might be delayed too.
Dont forget to take the left at Kaliyakavilai toward Poovar/Kovalam. Continuing on the regular stretch(Kaliyakavilai-Parasalla-Amaravila-Neyattinkara-Balaramapuram-TVM) would cost you more time than Kaliyakavilai-Poovar-TVM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiranknair (Post 3438768)
Planning to travel from Electronic city to Trivandrum tomorrow (Friday). What would be the ideal time to start in the early morning from Bangalore (EC) to avoid Nagercoil - TVM traffic situation considering it is a Friday? To give an idea about my driving, I have done Bangalore to Madurai in 6.5 hours (with 30 minutes break). Also any other tips regarding current road conditions after the rains would be helpful.

You can start at 4:30 AM and reach Nagercoil by 1:30 PM. I have done this multiple times. From Nagercoil, it will take 2 - 3 hours depending on your final destination. Consider taking the Kaliyikkavilai - Poovar - Kovalam route.

How long to trivandrum using the routes above? I have just one weekend to do a trip to trivandrum and back. I can possibly leave Friday evening and even sleep over somewhere over night and continue the journey on Saturday morning. Where can I halt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 3438842)
How long to trivandrum using the routes above? I have just one weekend to do a trip to trivandrum and back. I can possibly leave Friday evening and even sleep over somewhere over night and continue the journey on Saturday morning. Where can I halt?

I followed the suggestions listed by members above and travelled today. Started at 4.30 am from Begur. Reached Madurai around 10 am (which included 20 mins breakfast break). Reached Nagercoil around 12.45 pm. After that i set "Poovar" on GPS and followed the path. Was then able to reach Kowdiar by 2.45 pm. Overall the road conditions up to Nagercoil turn are excellent and can be done in 8.5 hours. After that it deteriorates and the lanes become single.

Regarding halting if you are going in the evening, Salem and Karur can be considered based on your distance travelled.