Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
why do you need to go to nagercoil, just take the MC road to Anchal - Kulathupuzha and join tenkasi that way better provided you time your trip properly
Blore>Tirumangalam>Rajapalyam>Tenkasi>kulathupuzha->Anchal-> Trivandrum
Why via Anchal? Isn't it a circuitous route when compared to via Palode?

Last time I drove via Kulathupuzha - Palode - TVM. The stretch between Kulathupuzha and Palode was not great, sometimes with big pot holes, slowing down. Palode to TVM section was good. Drive from Madurai to Tenkasi to TVM took 5.5 hours. Do you think the Nagercoil stretch will take more time when compared to this?

Because of the twisty roads near Thenmala, average speed cannot be that high compared to the Nagercoil section. If the drive is planned and timed to avoid the morning/evening traffic of Nagercoil-TVM stretch, then I would say that route is faster compared to Tenkasi route.

How is the condition of Kulathupuzha - Anchal section?
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Why via Anchal? Isn't it a circuitous route when compared to via Palode?

Last time I drove via Kulathupuzha - Palode - TVM. The stretch between Kulathupuzha and Palode was not great, sometimes with big pot holes, slowing down. Palode to TVM section was good. Drive from Madurai to Tenkasi to TVM took 5.5 hours. Do you think the Nagercoil stretch will take more time when compared to this?

Because of the twisty roads near Thenmala, average speed cannot be that high compared to the Nagercoil section. If the drive is planned and timed to avoid the morning/evening traffic of Nagercoil-TVM stretch, then I would say that route is faster compared to Tenkasi route.

How is the condition of Kulathupuzha - Anchal section?
kulathupuzha - palode section is not good at all i think dug up for "japan kuddi vellam " the anchal route is well tarred and once you reach anchal the MC road can help you keep good speeds.

I Usually start from blore at lets say 0330 hrs and am at home in trivandrum for lunch ..
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I Usually start from blore at lets say 0330 hrs and am at home in trivandrum for lunch ..
That is hell lot of a speed. Is it a non-stop drive? How much is the overall drive time?
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

well it usually is non stop except for loo breaks ! Dont needs too manybreaks at that time of the day and teh traffic is just starting up when you cross the towns in tamilnadu

Quote:
That is hell lot of a speed. Is it a non-stop drive? How much is the overall drive time?
Old 27th April 2010, 17:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Came back yesterday from TVM via Nagercoil, Madurai(NH7).

Started at 9:45am from TVM. Very heavy traffic till Nagercoil. One has to keep overtaking heavy vehicles to maintain time. Frantic honking and flashing like a madman in a hurry did not help a bit in deterring the oncoming helmetless two wheelers into my lane. Reached Parassala by 11:15 and Nagercoil BP by 12:15. Distance of 70 KM in 2.5 hours.

Once on NH7, traffic was smooth. Excellent roads. Tirunelveli BP is getting completed. The side barricades on flyovers are not yet constructed. Those driving on the night need to be extra careful not to lunge into the darkness beyond the flyover.

It was raining heavily near Nagercoil and Tirunelveli. Water logged on the road can cause aquaplaning. Care must be taken to cross the water with wheels kept straight.

There was not a single unmarked hump on entire NH7. Ideal for night driving.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came back yesterday from TVM via Nagercoil, Madurai(NH7)
Raj - how much of NH7 is now 4-lane?
Old 28th April 2010, 08:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Raj - how much of NH7 is now 4-lane?
Half the distance between Nagercoil and Tirunelveli is 2 lane. Beyond that, 4 lane starts. Then at times, it becomes 6 lane, otherwise 4 lane throughout till Bangalore.

TVM till Nagercoil(NH47) it is 2 lane.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Half the distance between Nagercoil and Tirunelveli is 2 lane. Beyond that, 4 lane starts. Then at times, it becomes 6 lane, otherwise 4 lane throughout till Bangalore.
Good. So Bangalore - Madurai is completely 4-lane now.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:35   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Good. So Bangalore - Madurai is completely 4-lane now.
4L all the way. Only issue: Have your food by Salem. Not many hotels there after on the bypass. You will need to head inside the city for the same, which is not worth it.

I think MX6 mentioned that there was a Meenakshi Bhavan coming up somewhere between Dindigul and Madurai. Not sure about it though.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only issue: Have your food by Salem. Not many hotels there after on the bypass. You will need to head inside the city for the same, which is not worth it.

I think MX6 mentioned that there was a Meenakshi Bhavan coming up somewhere between Dindigul and Madurai. Not sure about it though.
If journey starts from BLR, then I would say start early. I started at 2:15am. I was near Madurai BP at 7:30am. I went inside 5KM towards the city, and had breakfast at Hotel Saravanas. Food quality was decent. This hotel had a AC wing. It was hygenic.

Between Dindigul and Madurai but closer to Madurai, there is a Ghar Dhaba functioning now. It is on the right side, attached to a BP outlet I think. I had reached this place too early, hence it was not open at that time. On my way back, I found this place to be open.

At Tirunelveli, while returning from TVM, I went inside 2 KM towards the city and had lunch from one Garden Hotel. It was average, not great.

Last edited by sbraj : 28th April 2010 at 14:45.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:50   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Between Dindigul and Madurai but closer to Madurai, there is a Ghar Dhaba functioning now. It is on the right side, attached to a BP outlet I think.
Glad to note that there is a A2B between Madurai and Dindigul! Thanks for that info. How far its from Madurai?
This seems like a ideal lunch stop !

The other thing which I noted is that at Tirunalveli, I did not find any decent place even in the city (you can call me choosy). While coming KK towards Madurai, we wanted to break TVeli, but did not find any place to sit. Since the sun was scorching, we had to pack curd rice and keep going. No decent parking as well !

Last edited by ampere : 28th April 2010 at 14:53.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:09   #42
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@sbraj: The meenakshi bhavan I mentioned was in Batlagundu. Not between Madurai and Dindigul.
@Ampere. Nellai has some famous places to eat. I'm surprised. Hotel Janakiram's and Hotel Arya's are good there! Place to park, good food and even comfortable a/c rooms to stay.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to note that there is a A2B between Madurai and Dindigul! Thanks for that info. How far its from Madurai?
This seems like a ideal lunch stop !
I think it was some 10-15 KM before Madurai.

For early morning drivers, there are lots of tea shops on the way, with the old fashioned boiler type tea pots.

Quote:
The other thing which I noted is that at Tirunalveli, I did not find any decent place even in the city (you can call me choosy). While coming KK towards Madurai, we wanted to break TVeli, but did not find any place to sit. Since the sun was scorching, we had to pack curd rice and keep going. No decent parking as well !
This place where I had food was very near to the bypass road. But, as I said, it is just average. I usually opt for the regular meals which will be hot and fresh. That way, risks are kept the minimum. I just ensured that there is no liquor joint attached to the place, so that family is comfortable.

Since you are particular about the eateries, I doubt whether you will like it. It is not a high end restaurant. There is no AC wing.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:27   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think it was some 10-15 KM before Madurai.

For early morning drivers, there are lots of tea shops on the way, with the old fashioned boiler type tea pots.

This place where I had food was very near to the bypass road. But, as I said, it is just average. I usually opt for the regular meals which will be hot and fresh. That way, risks are kept the minimum. I just ensured that there is no liquor joint attached to the place, so that family is comfortable.

Since you are particular about the eateries, I doubt whether you will like it. It is not a high end restaurant. There is no AC wing.
I am also OK with meals. Only problem is that at many places you cant sit next to a guy biting his non-veg delicacy in all glory! Your own hunger subsides seeing such a spectacle. At least all veg hotel is fine. In such cases, I prefer to pack the food drive out of the town and have it under the cool shade of a tree.

The only thing you miss out under such cases are rest-rooms.
Old 28th April 2010, 15:38   #45
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also OK with meals. Only problem is that at many places you cant sit next to a guy biting his non-veg delicacy in all glory! Your own hunger subsides seeing such a spectacle. At least all veg hotel is fine. In such cases, I prefer to pack the food drive out of the town and have it under the cool shade of a tree.

The only thing you miss out under such cases are rest-rooms.
Reminds me. When I post my singapore travelogue, I shall post pics of one poor vegetarian (me) surrounded by people eating crabs, Prawns etc. in a proper non-veg restaurant. There was one otak otak which was very famous. The smell used to linger for ages. Ampere must be brandishing a knife reading this.

Most Viewed