Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 11:50   #601
BHPian

Re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Any recent updates on the Bangalore-Trivandrum route conditions around Nagercoil area? I'm doing this drive in early September and would like to avoid the bad patches in this area. Last time I drove in this route was a year back and the multiple diversions in Nagercoil was a pain to traverse.
Old 29th July 2019, 16:14   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Any recent updates on the Bangalore-Trivandrum route conditions around Nagercoil area? I'm doing this drive in early September and would like to avoid the bad patches in this area. Last time I drove in this route was a year back and the multiple diversions in Nagercoil was a pain to traverse.

Both Parvathipuram flyover and Marthandam flyover are open now. So, its a straight forward route and no need to worry about any diversions.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 18:23   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Both Parvathipuram flyover and Marthandam flyover are open now. So, its a straight forward route and no need to worry about any diversions.
Thanks a lot for the update. Comforting to know that the usual route has opened up. Will be doing a Hyd-Tvm drive during Onam season and certainly don't prefer the last leg of the drive to wear me down!
Old 9th September 2019, 14:47   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 4L bypass which skips Kavalkinaru, Aralvaimozhi, Nagercoil is partially done. Currently it helps to bypass Kavalkinaru and Aralvaimozhi. After this bypass work is complete, it will be a bliss for people driving towards Trivandrum, but it may take some time.

Google map recommends this route, but NHAI has closed the entry with barricades. So, stick to the standard route.
Old 9th September 2019, 22:51   #605
BHPian

For those who have time at hand and who can speak Tamil/Malayalam ( not that it's absolutely critical), you can take this route from Kavalkinaru to Thuckalay/Trivandrum bye-passing Nagercoil.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kava...105100!3e0!5i1

It was absolutely gorgeous. There are some narrow stretches but the traffic is thin so it iss manageable.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 10:25   #606
BHPian

I traveled back last night due to an emergency from Attingal to Bengaluru. I deviated from Kilmananoor then Punalur. There are some repair works and its a forested area so any emergency you are at God's mercy. The roads will be tarred soon as there are materials so in time for Sabarimala season. I touched NH744 before Urukunnu then continued the same way all the way to touch NH44. There are lot of policing on both the sides of border with checks and also one strange thing was too many cows let in the road at night on the Kerala side which on the small roads can be a hassle. The NH744 is all good and also NH44 all the way. I made the journey in 11.5 hours with two pit stop and two coffee breaks. Please avoid this routes at night as last weekend itself there were some land slides so drive safe
Old 14th November 2019, 15:00   #607
BHPian

Hi, I'm planning to do a Trivandrum to Bangalore road trip this month end (29th) and travel back to Trivandrum on 2nd December. Which is the best route? Does anyone know about the recent condition of the road? Also, is it a bad idea to travel at night along this route? I'm planning to start my journey at around 8 pm from Trivandrum and will be travelling at day time when returning to Trivandrum.
Old 14th November 2019, 18:54   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
Hi, I'm planning to do a Trivandrum to Bangalore road trip this month end (29th) and travel back to Trivandrum on 2nd December. Which is the best route? Does anyone know about the recent condition of the road? Also, is it a bad idea to travel at night along this route? I'm planning to start my journey at around 8 pm from Trivandrum and will be travelling at day time when returning to Trivandrum.

If you are planning to take the Nagercoil route, then night time is fine.

Regarding the road condition, as far as I know, Kavalkinaru - Nagercoil has few bad stretches. And Nagercoil - Marthandam is not in a great shape too.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2019, 19:09   #609
Team-BHP Support

Yep. Don't think of any other option for night journey. Do watch out for pot holes till you join the 4-lane at Kavalkinaru though!

Did Bangalore - Trivandrum - Bangalore last month on the bike. Took me around 2.15 hours non-stop from Kavalkinaru to Trivandrum (6pm to 8:15pm). Road condition was generally bad, and progress was slow despite being able to overtake all slow moving traffic with ease.

For return - if it's a morning drive, take the Thenkasi - Shenkottah road back. You'll find 5-6kms of very bad section near Thenmala. Road construction work. But very nice roads otherwise.

Not much time saved. Took me ~11 hours each for both onward (via Nagercoil) and return (via Shenkottah) routes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th November 2019 at 19:16.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 23:37   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the road condition, as far as I know, Kavalkinaru - Nagercoil has few bad stretches. And Nagercoil - Marthandam is not in a great shape too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yep. Don't think of any other option for night journey. Do watch out for pot holes till you join the 4-lane at Kavalkinaru though!
Thank you both, I just completed Trivandrum - Bangalore - Trivandrum, just like you mentioned, the condition of the road is very bad till around Kavalkinaru, and its very good afterwards. Returned via the same route because I had to visit Tirunelveli.

Total amount paid for tolls in this route is Rs 785, make sure you have atleast 1000 Rs in your Fastag wallet when travelling from Trivandrum to Bangalore. We had no difficulties traveling at night in this route, took me around 12Hrs to reach Bangalore.
binoyyj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 07:53   #611
BHPian

Driving to Trivandrum from Bangalore for X'mas. Taking a break at Madurai and will start early morning from Madurai to TVM. Although I prefer the usual Nagercoil highway, Google suggests Shenkottai- nedumangad route in the morning.
Has anyone been through this route recently?
If yes,
1. Road condition?
2. Is it safe for early morning drive?
3. Are there any breakfast options ?

If there is no significant time saving compared to Nagercoil route, I would prefer sticking to Nagercoil highway. Would appreciate any help on this.
Old 18th December 2019, 14:34   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Driving to Trivandrum from Bangalore for X'mas. Taking a break at Madurai and will start early morning from Madurai to TVM. Although I prefer the usual Nagercoil highway, Google suggests Shenkottai- nedumangad route in the morning.
Has anyone been through this route recently?
If yes,
1. Road condition?
2. Is it safe for early morning drive?
3. Are there any breakfast options ?

If there is no significant time saving compared to Nagercoil route, I would prefer sticking to Nagercoil highway. Would appreciate any help on this.
Did a Bangalore-Trivandrum drive last Sunday. Started at 5:40 am from Electronic City and reached home near Kawdiar at 6 pm. Roads are great till the Nagercoil turn at Kavalkinaru. After that the roads are mediocre with heavy traffic most parts of the day. The last 80-90 kms will consume close to 2.5-3 hours easily. Having a fast tag would help a lot and must have saved me close to half hour in the total run time. Breakfast break was at Sree Saravana Bhavan, half an hour after Krishnagiri (6:45 am, 40m mins). Great South Indian tiffin style food with clean interiors and restrooms. Lunch at Hotel Burma Kadai at Virudhunagar, at 12:00 pm. (45 mins) Nice non-veg food.

Last edited by jayded : 18th December 2019 at 14:40.
jayded is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2019, 19:44   #613
BHPian

I'm looking at a nice hotel in Madurai to spend the night during my travel to Tvm from Blr. Would like to visit the Meenakshi temple in the evening.
Old 18th December 2019, 23:34   #614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I'm looking at a nice hotel in Madurai to spend the night during my travel to Tvm from Blr. Would like to visit the Meenakshi temple in the evening.
I have stayed in star residency, its a good option within the city and little away from the crowded streets.

https://www.starresidencyhotels.com
Old 22nd December 2019, 14:43   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Speed gun alert @ Aralvaimozhi:

Few meters before the Aralvaimozhi check-post, police were stopping vehicles for over speeding. The speed limit here is 30Kmph and I was doing 60Kmph. 30Kmph limit is really on the lower side but police have some target per day and they are stopping people who are beyond this limit. They are especially targeting outstation vehicles.

The fine amount is 400/ and this can be paid online.

Last edited by arun_josie : 22nd December 2019 at 14:44.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed