Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 23:39   #211
BHPian

re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Hi, I would like to know whether you took this route. If yes, how's the road condition for polo (read low ground clearance) ? Would like to try it for the scenic beauty it offers.
Dear Saju,

I did take this route against the recommendations of some fellow boarders. It was on 17 Jun and it was raining continuously till I crossed Thenmala. I found the route quite comfortable and roads were fairly good except for some stretch between Kulathupuzha and Thenmala. Apologies for late reply as I was in Leh!
Old 15th August 2013, 20:56   #212
BHPian

Are there alternatives to the regular nagercoil - tvm route ?, I see some threads leading through the Poovar route, would it really save any time- any news on the road conditions would be welcome. Whats the best time to start from Bangalore- I'm planning on taking this on my Swift Diesel over the ANHC this time ( Diesel is still cheaper :-) :-) is the consideration) planning to do this around 12th/ 13th of September . yeah the onam trip !!!. The boot is obviously a dampner of the swift compared to the ANHC - I could load enough there
Old 16th August 2013, 17:41   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
Are there alternatives to the regular nagercoil - tvm route ?, I see some threads leading through the Poovar route, would it really save any time- any news on the road conditions would be welcome.
Bobby, the poovar route does not mean that you can skip the entire Ngl- Tvm bad stretch. From nagercoil you need to come almost till kaliyikkavilai. Just before kaliyikkavilai you see a road branching to your left and there is a signboard which says "kovalam". Further down you will find signboards which says kovalam or Trivandrum, just keep following it. The biggest advantage is that the road is good and traffic free most of the times , though narrow. But it is a huge relief when compared to wading through balaramapuram and neyyattinkara. But folks have advised against taking this route if you reach kaliyikkavilai late since the roads will have drunkards on cycles and 2 wheelers driving wayward.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 12:40   #214
BHPian

Thanks - ShinuAK-
Guys- Plan changes regarding the departure times - thinking of the early morning start instead - or else would waste half the day anyways in bangalore packing- plan now is to leave bangalore by 3.30 - 4 am , would reach salem by 6.30, which is a bit too early for breakfast so having plans to push on . have been normally having breakfast at the second A2B near krishnagiri as the departure times have always been around 530- 6.00 am from bangalore , and lunch near karur - (there is a eatery near a IOC pump).

Given the time of departure could you suggest places to have breakfast, and lunch on the route. would divert from kaiyikkavila towards the kovalam route to avoid crawling along some roads on the nagercoil - tvm route . early departure in part is to run through this route during the early afternoon - when most of the folks would be enjoyin a break after lunch leaving the roads less crowded- later in the evening would be a horror story with pre onam shoppers and trucks carrying stuff to trivandrum. Planning to leave on friday morning.
Old 9th September 2013, 17:36   #215
BHPian

There is a BP Ghar Dhaba at Vadipatti on NH7 between Dindugal and Madurai. Its on the opposite side of the road when you're heading south, so you have to take a U-turn. South of Madurai there is a new restaurant (veg) called Hari's on the right side just after the junction with the Tiruchi road (NH45B). Beyond Madurai there are few options unless you get into Tirunelveli. There is a small Cafe Coffee Day attached to a fuel pump somewhere near Tirunelveli. It gives one a short cool respite from the fierce sun which is the bane of travelling here in the afternoon.
Old 9th September 2013, 21:29   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvictor View Post
Guys- Plan changes regarding the departure times - thinking of the early morning start instead - or else would waste half the day anyways in bangalore packing- plan now is to leave bangalore by 3.30 - 4 am , would reach salem by 6.30, which is a bit too early for breakfast so having plans to push on . have been normally having breakfast at the second A2B near krishnagiri as the departure times have always been around 530- 6.00 am from bangalore , and lunch near karur - (there is a eatery near a IOC pump).
Last time I started around 2:30 AM from Bangalore and had breakfast at Saravanas, near Madurai(its around 10Kms before the bypass). Its on the right side. I reached by 8:00 with a 30mins break due to a accident near krishnagiri. So, 3:30 AM start means you can reach this place by 8:30 AM.

Lunch - I think you can have it in Nagercoil.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3210779
Old 4th October 2013, 06:11   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best route from Trivandrum to Bangalore

I will be driving to Trivandrum. Planning to start by 4:30 - 5:00 AM. How is the condition of Nagercoil - Trivandrum. My final destination is Kesavadasapuram. Should I try any alternate routes? I usually reach Karur by breakfast time and Nagercoil by lunch time. Any new hotels have come up?
Old 4th October 2013, 11:20   #218
BHPian

Hey Anyone tried the Bangalore -> Madurai -> Tenkasi -> Palode -> Nedumangad -> trivandrum recently. Last time I used this route I had gone all the way till Kovilpatti and turned off towards Sankarankovil to tenkasi. Decent roads all through not to much traffic and I think it takes almost the same time.
I donno about the road conditions now but this would take almost the same time as the Naercoil option due to the traffic. On return Nagercoil would be better cos you cross Nagercoil before the morning traffic starts

Edit: I had taken this route Way back in 2010.

Last edited by gandalf : 4th October 2013 at 11:22.
Old 14th October 2013, 07:36   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Nagercoil-Kaliyakkavilai-Poovar-Trivandrum (Bye Pass) is the one option which is not too much of a detour.
Drove Bangalore - Trivandrum via Nagercoil. The NH 47 between Kavalkinar and Kalyikkavilai is broken and is a pain. Took the deviation via Poovar and it is a peacful drive. Roads are good and no traffic jams. Reached Kesavadasapuram (Pillaveedu Lane) via Chakka - Petta - Medical College. It is longer by 10 KMS but faster. Saw this post from sbkumar after reaching the destination. Thanks for the update anyway. Reached Kavalkinar at 12:55 PM and reached home at 4:15 PM ( 30 mins break for lunch in between)
Old 16th October 2013, 15:05   #220

Hi,

Saw the message from Pramodpk, but wanted to reconfirm on the route.
Planning to drive to Bangalore this weekend. To avoid bad roads and heavy traffic, we are planning for the following route:
Kavadiar -> Pettah - > NH47 Bypass -> Poovar Vizhinjam road -> Poovar -> Kaliakkavilai -> Nagercoil -> .... -> Bangalore

Please let me know your thoughts
Regards
Girish
Old 16th October 2013, 15:32   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimal View Post
Hi,

Planning to drive to Bangalore this weekend. To avoid bad roads and heavy traffic, we are planning for the following route:
Kavadiar -> Pettah - > NH47 Bypass -> Poovar Vizhinjam road -> Poovar -> Kaliakkavilai -> Nagercoil -> .... -> Bangalore

Regards
Girish
Kaliakkavilai - Kavalkinar (start of NH 7) is broken at many places and will make the progress really slow. Pettah - to Kaliakkavilai via Poovar is in good shape. Kavalkinar - Bangalore can be done in 8.5 to 9 hours. Plan to start early from Trivandrum.
pramodpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 21:56   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimal View Post
Hi,

Regards
Girish
Depends on what time you plan to start. If you are heading out to Nagercoil from TVM before about 5 am the NH via Neyyatinkara will be faster than the Poovar route. Traffic starts to build up from 5 am so an early start is best.
Old 18th October 2013, 08:14   #223
BHPian

Any suggestions on the Bangalore to TVM drive ? is the Tenkasi-Nedumangad Route better or the usual Nagercoil Route Better ?
Please advise ,planning a drive alone.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:15   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple of days back I drove Nagercoil - Trivandrum Airport through Kaliakkavilai -> Poovar route and I should say its a peaceful route with less traffic. This route is narrow but the road condition is very good. I was able to maintain speed around 60(I never tried to push). Took around 45-50mins for 40Kms from Kaliakkavilai to Trivandrum Airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
Any suggestions on the Bangalore to TVM drive ? is the Tenkasi-Nedumangad Route better or the usual Nagercoil Route Better ?
Please advise ,planning a drive alone.
Road condition fromkavalkinaru to Nagercoil is very bad in some stretches and average overall. Same with Nagercoil - Kaliakkavilai as well.

Bangalore - Kavalkinaru, Excellent.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 11:43   #225
BHPian

From the recent drives of Pramodpk and others we know that the
Nagercoil to TVM road is shot.

My destination in north-east TVM i.e. Perrorkada/Ambalamukku area can somebody advise me on Bangalore->Madurai->Rajapalyam->Tenkasi->Nedumangad->Perrorkada

is this a better journey, maybe because that i don't have to get caught in the local traffic from Balaramapuram to Peroorkada as well as bumper to bumper traffic in Neyattinakara and to deal with bad roads from Nagercoil to Neyattinakara.

I have done the Nagercoil to TVM route a couple of times and i am familiar with it.
But i am told that using the Tenkasi road ..i may need to keep asking for directions ??

Please advise !

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Couple of days back I drove Nagercoil - Trivandrum Airport through Kaliakkavilai -> Poovar route and I should say its a peaceful route with less traffic. This route is narrow but the road condition is very good. I was able to maintain speed around 60(I never tried to push). Took around 45-50mins for 40Kms from Kaliakkavilai to Trivandrum Airport.

Road condition fromkavalkinaru to Nagercoil is very bad in some stretches and average overall. Same with Nagercoil - Kaliakkavilai as well.

Bangalore - Kavalkinaru, Excellent.

Most Viewed