Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 14:49   #331
BHPian

re: Trivandrum to Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I am also planning for a drive down during first of week of July.
Arun,
Is this the new A2B at Salem ? Any pointers on the direction ?
I guess Arun was talking about the A2B on the NH 47. From the Salem bypass road, take the exit to Coimbatore and from there it is about 3 kms to A2B.

There is a Hotel on the Namakkal bypass called Hotel Coastel Residency. Heard a good feedback from a friend. Depending on the time you start from Bangalore, this could either be a breakfast or lunch stop option.
Old 15th June 2015, 15:20   #332
BHPian

Thanks NPV for the directions.
Looks to be all these are in the Salem Coimbatore route.
I need to hit the Salem Namakkal-Karur stretch towards Madurai and beyond.
Was just looking for an alternative for fuel too, since I normally fuel in the KPN or A2B Thoppur outlet during my return leg of the journey if required.
During the onward leg, it will be mostly the Shoolagiri (HP/Krishna Inn) or Chinnar (BP/A2B).
Old 15th June 2015, 17:38   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think Arun stopped at the A2B near Thoppur toll plaza (on right side when going from Salem towards Coimbatore).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
I guess Arun was talking about the A2B on the NH 47. From the Salem bypass road, take the exit to Coimbatore and from there it is about 3 kms to A2B.
Quote:
Thanks NPV for the directions.
Looks to be all these are in the Salem Coimbatore route.
I need to hit the Salem Namakkal-Karur stretch towards Madurai and beyond.
I was talking about the A2B on the Coimbatore road from Salem bypass. Yes, it is away from bypass but takes only 2-3 minutes to reach there. And its along with a IOC, I think. Normally we stop at thoppur but since my kid was sleeping we skipped that. Even for thoppur A2B we need to take a "U" turn so it didn't make much difference for us.
Old 7th July 2015, 19:20   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiacz View Post
Folks ,
A quick update . I took the Tenkasi - Madurai- Bangalore route yesterday . Its in good condition. I was able to maintain triple digit speeds for most part of the journey (Tenkasi - Madurai stretch) except the sections near to the towns along the way.
Thanks for the update. I was planning a Bangalore-Trivandrum trip later this month. I see in Google maps that Trivandrum is another 107 Km from Tenkasi. So is the Blr-Tenkasi-Trv a doable route? As you say, if the Madurai-Tenkasi route allowed you triple digits, any idea how good or bad the additional 107 Km stretch from Tenkasi to Trivandrum is ? For this is not the usual route that Googlemaps suggests from Blr to Trv - it routes through Tirunelveli and Nagercoil.
Old 7th July 2015, 22:06   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot77in View Post
Thanks for the update. I was planning a Bangalore-Trivandrum trip later this month. I see in Google maps that Trivandrum is another 107 Km from Tenkasi. So is the Blr-Tenkasi-Trv a doable route? As you say, if the Madurai-Tenkasi route allowed you triple digits, any idea how good or bad the additional 107 Km stretch from Tenkasi to Trivandrum is ? For this is not the usual route that Googlemaps suggests from Blr to Trv - it routes through Tirunelveli and Nagercoil.
The route I took from Tenkasi to Trivandrum was via kottarakara due to family reasons . So I am unable to help you on the road conditions till Trivandrum for the Tenmala Trivandrum straight route. However the road from Tenkasi to Tenmala is in good condition except a 100 m stretch . I prefer this route to avoid the horrible traffic along the Nagercoil Trivandrum stretch .
Old 10th July 2015, 16:05   #336
BHPian

Back from a round trip of BLR-NGL-TVM-NGL-BLR.
Update on Road conditions.
The Namakkal Byepass is being re-laid on both the sides and hence all vehicles have to go in the service lane. Overtaking a Heavy vehicle is a bit of pain, since the road is very narrow with deep shoulders on both the sides.
The stretch from Kavalkinaru Junction to Nagercoil is very good compared to my last trip.

Went from NGL to TVM on a day trip. THe road conditions in Parvathipuram Junction in NGL is horrible. After that, the road becomes better after Villukuri in the TN side. But the traffic is as usual very heavy and had a tough time to overtake a set of Multi Axle Volvos going on a convoy.
Took the Kaliyakavilai-Poovar-Vizhinjam-TVM route. The route still is superb to drive. Would advice avoiding the Kaliyakavilai-Neyattinkara-TVM route, since heard there is a lot of expansion work going on the Kerala side.

Being July, the winds were too high, especially in the Kovilpatti-Kayathar region and near the Vedasandur(Dindigul-Karur section) toll. Felt the car moving sideways a couple of times.
Old 14th July 2015, 11:21   #337
BHPian

Interlocking Pavers at before Nagercoil entry.

We had couple of discussions on this subject before. This video was recorded in April 2015 during my Bangalore to Nagercoil drive.

Also noticed that interlocking pavers are used widely in Kodai ghats also, specially at the sharp turns.
Old 15th August 2015, 17:04   #338
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, what would the best route for Bangalore-Trivandrum in current conditions ? Also can someone give me a good time wise breakup with stops for breakfast and lunch for the drive plan ? Can start really early not a constraint.
Old 15th August 2015, 17:11   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks, what would the best route for Bangalore-Trivandrum in current conditions ? Also can someone give me a good time wise breakup with stops for breakfast and lunch for the drive plan ? Can start really early not a constraint.
It always will be via Nagercoil. I guess what you are looking for is a right time to start which makes Nagarcoil-TVM easiest. Time wise, I think Nagarcoil, you will already know.

- 3 Hr for Salem
- 4 Hr Madurai (Conservative for 250kkm. You can do it faster)
- 4 Hr Nagarcoill (220km; This includes lunch break)
- No idea about the last stretch.

Quote:
These are the missing links that will help me plan
An alternate route for return journey and right time to do nagerkoil-trivandrum.
Arun should be the right man to answer these questions. I guess he does these sections, even for his weekend shopping from Bangalore!

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2015 at 17:26.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 17:17   #340
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It always will be via Nagercoil.
- No idea about the last stretch.
An alternate route for return journey and right time to do nagerkoil-trivandrum.
Old 15th August 2015, 19:12   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Best route is through Nagercoil and the road conditions are good now.

If you start at 5:00 AM from bangalore, then for breakfast, the best option would be A2B, thoppur. Its around 135 Kms from EC signal. And it comes on the right side. So, you will have to take a "U" after crossing A2B on the right side.

For lunch, based on your speed, you can consider,
  1. Hari's Restaruant, Near Kappalur Toll Booth, Madurai. Immediately after this toll, its on the right side. This is around 290-300 Kms from A2B Thoppur.
  2. Burma Kadai, Virudhunager (around 35Kms from Hari's). This comes on the left side.
  3. Capsi Restaurant, Kayathar (around 90 Kms from Burma Kadai). This comes on the left side.
Nagercoil - Trivandrum, If its a working day then better to avoid morning/evening hours, especially crossing Marthandam during these hours will be hectic.

If you can really start early and can do some non-stop driving, then start at 3:00 AM, plan breakfast stop at Hari's Restaruant. I have done this couple of times. I started from Bannerghatta road at 3:00 AM and reached Hari's Restaruant around 8-8:30 AM. Advantage of this timing is no traffic till Salem and you can cross salem in quick time. Again very less traffic till Namakkal. For lunch you can consider,

Hotel Udupi International, Vadasery - Nagercoil
Gowri Shankar, Chunkan Kadai(after crossing Nagercoil).

there are many other options as well.

For alternate route, are you considering the tenkasi route from trivandrum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Arun should be the right man to answer these questions. I guess he does these sections, even for his weekend shopping from Bangalore!
. I am kind of bored now, doing this stretch.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 19:14   #342
BHPian

Quote:
A 4 AM start should ensure you would be in Nagercoil by 1 PM, if you plan your breaks properly. (Breakfast @ Salem - CBE A2B - refer to couple of posts earlier by ARun for the location and a tea break aound Kodai Road/Thirumangalam in Temple City or Hari's) .

You can plan your lunch at Nagercoil (Gowri Shankar in NGL TVM Route)
12-3 PM should be relatively of less traffic in NGL TVM stretch, but always except the worst in the stretch.
Overtaking will be a pain and you would hardly touch 80kph. Max would be 60-70kph.

Would advice Kaliyakavilai-Poovar-Vizhinjam-TVM stretch.
hamster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 10:43   #343
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(Breakfast @ Salem - CBE A2B - refer to couple of posts earlier by ARun for the location and a tea break aound Kodai Road/Thirumangalam in Temple City or Hari's) .
Wouldn't that be a detour at Salem onto NH47 just for the break at A2B since the route towards Madurai is to continue on the NH7 towards Namakkal ? Am I missing something here ?
Also, how does one spot where to make the turn off from NH7 beyond Tirunelveli bypass to get towards Nagerkoil ? Landmarks/directions will help
I have been to Nagerkoil from Kanyakumari but not on this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
I was talking about the A2B on the Coimbatore road from Salem bypass. Yes, it is away from bypass but takes only 2-3 minutes to reach there. And its along with a IOC, I think.
Is this the new A2B along with Polar Bear Ice cream outlet ? If so, I think it's a Bharat Petroleum bunk not IOC.

Last edited by NPV : 16th August 2015 at 10:45.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 11:04   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this the new A2B along with Polar Bear Ice cream outlet ? If so, I think it's a Bharat Petroleum bunk not IOC.
I think thats what he is referring to. If you are starting at 4/4:30, you should be in time for Park Plaza or Grand Estancia as well !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 14:21   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, how does one spot where to make the turn off from NH7 beyond Tirunelveli bypass to get towards Nagerkoil ? Landmarks/directions will help
I have been to Nagerkoil from Kanyakumari but not on this route.
Last 20Kms is 2L road and you will have to take a left just before a fly-over at Kavalkinaru and then take right below the same fly-over. There is a fuel station at this exit as well(I think its HP).

This exit is around 18-20Kms from the Vallioor exit. And 6-7 Kms from Panakudi. So, better to reduce the speed after crossing Panakudi and lookout for the Nagercoil/Trivandrum exit board or the fuel station. This board is very close to the exit and not so big.

Quote:

Yes, it's the A2B on the Coimbatore road along with a Polar Bear outlet, 2Kms away from your route. It may be BP, I am not sure. Its a detour, so keep thoppur A2B as first option.

As mentioned by ampere, you have Park Plaza an Grand Estancia as well in salem. Both these star hotels are on the highway and on the left side itself.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed